Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Terrain

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    safety9285,
    I apologize I do not have specific information on why this feature was discontinued; however, I do not see information on this being available later in the year. I apologize for any inconvenience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    This is a compliment: At least you folks are reading this forum. It nice to know we can communicate directly with GM.
    Thanks.
    safety9285,

Thank you for the compliment!

Have a great weekend!

Caron, GM Customer Service
  • chip9mmchip9mm Member Posts: 1
    If the car is is not driven at least once within a seven - ten day period, the battery dies. All of the external and internal lighting function normally as long as the car is driven daily. However on two different occasions about a month apart and the car not driven for a week or more, the battery was dead. Dealer could find no electrical problems each time the car was in for service. The battery was replaced at the first service visit. At the next visit for a dead battery there still was no problem found. Dealer is waiting on a factory response.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Couple thing come to mind. There are things that are 'hot' even after vehicle is shut off (security, the ability for key fob to communicate with vehilce, that kind of thing). So many vehicles today will drin the battery if not started for a while, I would think you might be able to go 2 weeks though.
    The other thing is some have had a problem with the ambient lights staying on (or I should say not shutting off when they should), there is a software update for that one.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    if possible observe the car/interior after it sits 20 minutes in a dark garage.
    glove compartment light or center console light staying on - look in entire darkness near the edges to see. software should be turning all the interior accessories/lights off after 10 minutes.
    the alternator/voltage-regulator could be failing with real driving but passing static/idling test. or if the vehicle is only used for short-trips, that might be a factor.

please let us know what the real answer is when it's discovered!
  • mseramsera Member Posts: 25
    Test drove the 4 and the 6 cylinder and I was disappointed with the engine noise on both. Love the looks the ride and interior. Darn winey engines....
    I would love to use my GM card cash but and getting leary hearing about the cold start problems as well as my test drive experince. I think I need to give it alonger test drive.
    Just so I understand, You said you drove both and the Terrain with the 18" with lower profile tires rode better than the Nox with 17" which are a higher profile.
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    My Nox has 17" tires while my Terrain has 18" tires, both are 4 cylinder and I don't find any engine noise a problem unless you count the clatter sound I have had on 3 occasions. Drove the Terrain 1945 miles round trip to Michigan and home and had good performance all the way. :D
    I have the 18"s and am considering lowering the tire pressure below 35 lbs to get a better ride and les tire slap. My previous vehicles always kept around 30 lbs. Anyone experiment with the tire pressure on the terrain and nox.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    msera, it is a bad idea to lower your pressure from 35 to 30, it compromises safety/handling/SUV-rollover-risk. Also it would lower your mpg significantly.
    Especially with an SUV, please stay with the manufacturer recommendation as a lower limit for cold tire pressure.
    FWIW, going too far above manufacturer spec, but below the tire manufacturer max cold pressure, will compromise handling&braking effectiveness, while increasing mpg.
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    I just picked up my 2012 Terrain. While every car that I've bought in the last 20 years came with a usually very nice holder for your owner's manual and other docs, when I picked up the Terrain I was given the manual, warranty,etc. all loose with nothing to put them in. Is this normal for this car?

Thanks.
    yes
  • cmccullcmccull Member Posts: 33
    I guess it does make a difference how you drive. My wife just did a 500 mile trip in our V-6 with AWD and got 24.7 MPG. I guess I have a heavy foot. :)
    Good morning,

I called a dealership in my area to see how they presented these documents to their customers, whether they typically come in any type of case. The salesman I spoke with said that they will typically put them in a plastic envelope for their customers.

I hope this answers your question!
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kcripekcripe Member Posts: 1
    also have had problems with timing chain was replaced now making same knocking loud engine noises dont know if this should be a recall check engine lights never came on . I know the car did not make these noises when we bought it.
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    Why not take the Terrain to the dealer and let them check it out.
    Our 2010 Terrain has approximately 20,000 miles and has been OK.
    Let us know what you find in case anyone has similar issues in future.
    Thanks,
    Cosmo
  • jills1jills1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. I was told that "it was supposed to sound like that" but I know what the car sounded like when I bought it. My car has been in the shop off and on 4 times in the last 5 months for the same noise. They have replaced the timing belt, some chain thing, another pump, and recently put in some sound thing to make the noise not as loud. So disappointed in this car and it really has made me never want to get a GMC car ever again.
  • dallasterraindallasterrain Member Posts: 11
    We've had the 4 cyl for about 2 years, standard fwd. We get around 22mpg around town and up to 27 mpg on the hwy. I have done a lot of research on the gas mileage as we bought the vehicle due to the 32 mpg advertised hwy mileage. Every car mag review and long term test drive says the same thing. Whatever they try they cannot get more than 26 to 28 mpg! Very pleased with 22+ mpg around town (sometimes up to 24, but its mixed driving), not so much with the hwy mpg. Given my experience, you probably will get around 20 to 22 around town and around 24 to 26 hwy with your all wheel drive. Of course it all depends on a lot of variables, how fast you drive, weather, hills, etc., etc. I would be interested in hearing what you get.

BTW, have you noticed that when you reset the gas mileage tripometer it does not stay at zero? Ours will go from zero to 22mpg every time. Drove me crazy at first. I guess the default is 22 mpg and then it figures your gas mileage from there!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your vehicle. Have you worked with Customer Assistance before? If you would like for us to set up a case for you, please send us an email with the following information: your name/user name and contact information (phone and address), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your involved dealership, and a description of the visits you've made to address your current concerns.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • roguelemonownrroguelemonownr Member Posts: 19
    gmcustsvcsarah,

It's been almost 8 months since I was told that GM was aware of the MPG issue & your engineering department was working on a fix. I haven't heard anything from GM. I saw your recent post and thought maybe you could help????? Was also told that when GM found the fix they would reimburse customers for the extra petro used.
    Thank you for getting in contact, roguelemonownr,

After looking back at your previous posts, I searched through our systems to see if there was any general information about fuel efficiency and the V6 Terrain. I wasn't able to find anything, but if you were to email us the last 8 digits of your VIN, we could investigate further. (Please, if you could, include a link to this forum in your email as I am not the only Customer Service Representative responding to the emails from here).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • robersabelrobersabel Member Posts: 3
    Parked 2012 Terrain in garage. Shut off vehilcle, exited, and closed doors. Noticed the headlight sensor blinking with red light. Please explain.

Robert
    I believe that is part of the security system, blinks to let you now its active
  • okbeartoyokbeartoy Member Posts: 34
    It's my day for GM repairs, took my 2012 Terrain in for a fluid leak at the front of the vehicle. Was told it was the radiator leaking, must be replaced, at 1800 miles.. Service writer indicated he had seen several of them like that. How's that for GM quality?

Dropped a 2011 Cruze off at another dealer just before this one, it has electrial problems...

Both are nice cars but I am disappointed with the quality.
    I am sorry to hear that both your Terrain and your Cruze needed to be taken in. Please keep us up to date on the progress of the repairs on the radiator, and with the electrical concerns.
    If you would like for us to get involved and follow up with your dealership(s), please send us an email with more information including your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your vehicle(s) VIN(s) and current mileage, and the name of your dealership(s).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mahood1mahood1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 Terrain's rear vision camera worked perfectly for 2 years then suddenly any light behind the vehicle became a glare at night and in the daytime it would display a vertical white line. GM has a service bulletin (PI0385) stating that the vertical line is "expected under normal operation". The bulletin applies to 2008-2012 GM Passenenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks. The dealership replaced the camera to fix the glare but the white vertical line remains. GM Customer Assistance "David" spoke to me 3 times then sent me back to the dealership saying he could not see the problem so he had no solutions.
    GM does not want to cover this under warranty. Why?
    I have a thought that this is a serious problem with the CCD sensor. If the white line had been there from day one I would accept the rationale -- however it wasn't so it is a warranty problem that affects many GM vehicles. Please suggest causes and solutions. Thank you.
    My Terrain is 2 years old with 28,000 miles. I have the navigation system. Lately when I park and then return later, the radio stations change and the navigation preferences change. It used to remember what station I had on and would retain all navigation settings but no more. Anybody else experience this?
    I have an Acadia. I have the White Line"sometimes". I only occurs when I am backing when the sun is shining on the back bumper. The line must come from a refelction of sunlight off the back bumper. When I back up with the sun in my windshield, no white line.
    Mahood1,
    I saw in the Edmunds Answers section that you have already gotten in touch via email; my coworker Christina, who answers our incoming emails, should be back with you if she hasn't been already.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    It's a possibility that these systems may need an update, although your dealership would know for sure. Were you planning on visiting them?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mahood1mahood1 Member Posts: 2
    Neither Sarah nor Christine from GM Customer Service have contacted me. The problem with my 2010 Terrain continues and the white vertical line could certainly obstruct my view of a child in the blind spot behind my vehicle.
    I am hopeful that other GM owners who have rear vision (back-up) cameras will post; hopefully offering solutions. I have had the camera replaced but the problem persists. Suppliers of after-market units indicate that there may be a CCD or CMOS sensor unit fault. I have experimented with tape on the chrome and a home-made lens hood -- not a solution.
    My vertical white line suddenly appeared after two years and my dealer tells me that I am the first vehicle they have seen with what GM's service bulletin calls a "normal condition" -- will all GM vehicles suffer this safety feature failure?
    Naturally, I want my Terrain fixed under warranty; I echo statements from Australia about how these cameras are saving the lives of children.
    Please, GM, let's get a fix. :)
  • bwall2bwall2 Member Posts: 30
    Best thing you can do is avoid ever buying this vehicle. I bought the 2011 Terrain with 4 cyl engine - "to get the best gas mileage." There should be a class action suit against GM for this vehicle. I have had lots of cars over the years (I am 62) and this is the worst situation to be in. If GM is working on a fix for the horrible gas mileage, I sure would like to know.
    I think it would be easy today to "tweet" and "facebook" customers who own this vehicle and pull a class action suit together.
    I'm sorry about the lapse in communication on our end; would you try perhaps resending your email? We'd like to look into this with you!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Yes, I have an appoinntment in a couple weeks.
    Terrain owners should unite. Honda just lost a lawsuit where there car did not meet the sticker EPA mileage.
    Very good! Please be sure to keep us updated, and let us know if we can be of any assistance.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    4 cyl ecotec. Should I really wait till the computer says the oil life is done , Im at 5200 miles and at this rate it will be 9k miles when the car indicates its ready for a change. Really,Even for the 1st change I should wait till the computer tells me ? I know its synthetic oil but I am used to getting changed at 3k miles. Of course like others I just got the cold start tapping noise for three seonds....
    For the first change I would go now
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    Two things I would check now
    1. Ask your dealer to look at your vin # and see if it is covered by any recalls for camshaft position actuator solenoid valves and update PCM calibration per campagin recall 11195 (I had this done on mine and no more noise after 8000 miles additional).
    2. Get your oil changed immediately after #1 is done and if they don't do #1, change your oil anyhow and make sure you use Dexos spec oil as this is a blend of synthetic/dino oil or use full synthetic, your choice.

Hope this helps and good luck. :shades:
    BTW. Does anyone know as fact if the factory fills with full synthetic oil or a synthetic blend. If I need to top off i want it to be the right stuff.
    If you need to "top it off" you have a bigger problem then just needing to know what to top it off with. New cars do not need to be topped of unless you are leaking some or burning some off.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Factory fill is most likely a blend. Can't see GM spending the extra on a full synthetic plus the specs are for a blend.

FWIW I'll be using Pennzoil Platinum, a full synthetic in my 4cyl. 2012.

Here's a list of GM approved oils. http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html
    Dealer has performed the recall. They have done the PCM reprogram and the next course of action is the actuators if I encounter any more problems. Knowing I have 4.5 years and 95 K left on the Powertrain warranty, Im ok with that.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    wife and i are comparing the terrain and nox . we have notice if you compare a 2LT nox with a sle2 terrain with the same equipment the terrain is about $400 more. what does the terrain have on it that makes it $400 more?
    edited March 2012
    Stay away from both of them. The gas mileage is horrible - check out the Honda CRV - better value, better gas mileage, better vehicle all the way around.

I have the 2011 Terrain - suppose to get 32 mpg - not even close on the highway! Biggest mistake I made in a long time!
    Someone contacted (from some country?) me regarding my comments on gas mileage for the 2011 Terrain - could not understand the phone number or name that he left. If someone is monitoring this from GMC, let me know how to get in touch with someone - would enjoy talking about how poor this vehicle is on gas mileage. Best mileage I get with it is when I am towing it behind my motorhome....I think it does 32 mpg then!
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    we looked at a crv and didn't like it at all
    Good morning,
    You can either contact us via the email addresses provided in my profile here on the forum or you can call the GMC Customer Assistance Center at 800-462-8782 (Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm EST; Closed Sunday).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • flandrewflandrew Member Posts: 6
    Sarah,

Not sure if this is still proprietary at this point, but can find out if the Denali Trim is expected to add rear air vents? Considering a Terrain. Thanks.

Thanks.