Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Terrain

Comments

• bwall2bwall2 Member Posts: 30
    At least you were still able to drive it! My Terrain QUIT totally - first vehicle I ever had do that. It was the "camshaft" actuator that had to be replaced. It is a very frustrating vehicle.
  • pkpy64pkpy64 Member Posts: 2
    I decided that I would try an american made car after having a Hyundia Sante Fe. My 2010 Terrain has gone to the shop 7 times now since I have purchase in May 2012. They have replaced the timing belt, tension, cam sensor, another pump, and put a oil cap on due to leaking oil plus the knocking. I was told that "it was supposed to sound like that" I know it shouldn't knock like that. So disappointed in this car and it really has made me never want to get a GMC car ever again. What is the problem and what is the solution? I do like my Terrain but can't keep throwing money into somthing not working on top of a car note.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    pkpy64,

We're sorry to hear that you've had so many troubles with your Terrain. Have you worked with Customer Assistance at all on these concerns? Do you have any updates about the status of your vehicle since your last post?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • lmcpeeklmcpeek Member Posts: 6
    When I originally bought my 2010 terrain I loved it! But obviously it was NOT a car built to last! I drive 120 miles/day round trip to work which is why I bought this particular vehicle The gas mileage has been good but that is not my complaint. I bought the car brand new may 2010. It now has 101,600 miles on it. Approx 1 year ago it had the timing chain replaced (approx 60,000 miles and still under warranty) In Dec 2012 my transmission had to be completely rebuilt!! ( Under extended warranty-1100 miles left to go) It took 3 weeks to diagnose and fix it then. I broke down and had to be towed when the "wave plate" broke inside! Now I just had it back 2 weeks and it stalls out on me yesterday morning( of course OUT OF WARRANTY by 1600 miles). Another towing to dealership and not a definitive diagnosis yet but they are saying cam actuator failure!!! 3 major repairs in 1 -1.5 yrs. 2 in last 30 days!!! Last GMC I buy! Very sad and disappointed in this car. I urge anyone considering buying a Terrain- GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!! You'll need it!
    Or better yet, don't buy this terrible piece of trouble. My cam actuator on 2011 went at around 20,000 miles. Can't imagine what we will have to spend on awful vehicle since we don't have extended warranty. LAST GM product for us. 2007 Camry Hybrid with 93,000 miles - not one dime spent on this great Japanese vehicle. Inspections every year - not even brakes yet!
    lmcpeek,
    Any news on this since Thursday? We're sorry that you've had to make two trips for repairs within the last month or so.

No Sarah not definitive word yet. First the shop said cam actuator now they are saying it IS the transmission again, the torque converter. I was told after the rebuild it would have a 12,000 mile warranty and when I asked if this was covered I was told they would have to work on me with this which I believe is unacceptable !! I was contacted today (Sat) by a GM customer service rep but missed his call and couldn't get ahold of him again. Jut waiting to see. In the meantime I am seriously considering purchasing another car. I dont feel like this one is dependable anymore. I will be upside down in my loan/trade in value but I don't trust this vehicle anymore. It's sad because I love this car and wanted to keep it indefinitely b I have to have something dependable to drive having small children I don't like the idea if being stranded with them in a dark country road again.
    lmcpeek,
    What is your case number? I can check to see if there are any urgent updates for you.

Case number 71-1153410404. Thanks
    lmcpeek,

I see that your agent has a call scheduled out to you tomorrow afternoon. I'll let them know that you're expecting them! What is the best time of day to contact you?
    I told them after 4
  • pkpy64pkpy64 Member Posts: 2
    Back to the shop again today. :sick: My oil level on Friday was reading 65%. I just had the oil cap replaced because I notice a knocking then saw a oil on the ground where my Terrain was parked. That was the week of Jan 28. Then on Friday Feb. 8 my oil level was at 65% oil life. Today my oil life is at 60% with knocking. This is a drain of my energy and time. Like I previously stated can't be making car notes plus repairs. How can a car be deemed and sold as certiifed and have these many ISSUES. I have gone to the repair center so many times that when I call they know my voice. SMH
  • lpmusicklpmusick Member Posts: 2
    I've also had several of the same problems with my 2010 Terrain. It started with 4 or 5 sensors burning out. Those were not under warranty. Then while under the powertrain warranty, the timing belt snapped and I had to be towed. Thankfully, it took a few days to fix and was provided a rental vehicle. While approaching my 100,000 mile mark, I noticed that the engine was consuming oil. It wasn't leaking and it wasn't burning it. Three weeks ago, I had to have the fuel pump replaced. That was $620 and had to pop for $40 on a rental vehicle. Now, the vehicle is back in the shop. A call from the service manager tonight indicated that there were about 4 or 5 things registering on the computer. All I could make out was something with the cam actuators. Funny thing is, a girl at work had a 2010 Terrain like mine, but when it started acting up, she traded it for a Ford. Now I get to sit at home, not go into work, and wait to see what this next repair is going to cost. Lesson learned. I've owned 3 vehicles in the last 23 years. The Mitsubishi and Nissan I had 10 years each and racked up over 150,000 miles on each. I don't think this GMC is going to make it that long and surely not for the life of the loan. Sad thing is, I'm only at 110,000 miles. These things should not be going wrong.
    Sounds like the Terrain is not a built to last car. As of today, mine still sits in the shop. Haven't heard anything today from dealership. They called Friday and said it DID "look like" the transmission AGAIN...this time being the torque converter. (Apparently NOT the cam actuator as i was originally told) They just "rebuilt"my transmission less than a month ago. At that time I was told I had 12,000 miles warranty on my transmission. When I asked if it was covered, I was told "Ill have to talk with such and such and see what we can work out since it was just in here!" Really??? Work something out?? Yeah Prob out of my pocket!! It's ridiculous to buy an almost $30,000 car and have major engine issues in less than 3 yrs!! I too have had cars with ALOt more miles than 100,000 and NEVER had this trouble!! Needless to say I have been car shopping over the weekend and NOT for a GMC!
    lpmusick,

Keep us updated on your progress at the dealership! If you want for us to check into anything, be sure to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• pgill71pgill71 Member Posts: 4
    Bought a Certified GMC Terrain experiencing major hesitation, indicator light, and service StabiliTrack light on - please tell me this apparently common issue is repairable and covered under warranty! Love this vehicle but makes me sick to read these problems are typical for the Terrain. This is my first vehicle purchase! Ugh:/
  • lpmusicklpmusick Member Posts: 2
    I've been going through these issues with the Terrain for over 9 months. Now, I'm in the process of an oil consumption test to see if the entire engine needs replaced. I am taking the vehicle back to the dealership once a week for awhile to let them monitor the oil consumption. If it's greater than it should be, the engine needs replaced. At this point, with over 100,000 miles on it, it's uncertain if GM is going to stand behind this repair. If I were you, I'd take the vehicle back. Hopefully, you have the 10 day clause to negate the sale unless you bought it off an individual. Then, you may be out of luck.
    I will say, however, if it weren't for these issues, I also love this vehicle. The ride, the handling, the comfort are unsurpassed compared to other vehicles I have owned and driven.
    So sorry to read about the issues you are having... I bought from a GMC Dealer in Michigan - I live in Ohio. My husband called this morning and we are waiting to hear back from them. I am hoping for a good outcome with GMC's "No Worries" policy.
    I'm majorly bummed I've been wanting to buy the Terrain for the past couple years and finally found what I thought was a nice one that I could afford and now nothing but disappointment thus far! :( all I can do is hope for the best.
    I would think GMC is aware of these common problems with their vehicles and would be more than willing to make it right.
    Best of luck to you
    If you can take it back and negate the sale, do it. I have a 2011 - wish I could have negated this sale after buying it. I bought it new and really despise the issues that we have had with it. It is the worst GM product we have ever had - and it will obviously be the last one we ever have. Unfortunately, at 63 years of age, I am now stuck with keeping it since it is worth so little.
    Good morning pgill71,
    We're sorry that you're experiencing these troubles on your Terrain. Have you already begun working with your dealership to get this resolved? Let us know if you have any questions (we can, for example, check into warranty information with the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage). Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com .

I don't think I can take it back. According to my loan papers it states there is a "No Cooling Down" once I sign I can't change my mind. I just dropped it of at our local Certified Dealer - he didn't seemed surprised at all. I'm just heart broken over the issues, this truly was my dream vehicle - I hope it all works out. Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid I'm in for it now. :(
    GMC Service says the high pressure fuel pump needs replaced thus causing all the problems. Apparently fuel is mixing with the oil?? I'm picking it up tomorrow after work. Fingers crossed!
  • saschmitzsaschmitz Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2012 Terrain just over a year ago. Starting mid December 2012 it has been in the shop 4 times for the same issue without identifying what is causing it. The vehicle misfires causing the vehicle to shake and flash the CEL and the Service Stabilitrak Light. The misfires have happened on different cylinders. So far 4 of the 6 coils have been replaced. Dealership told me they were denied by GM to replace all of the coils at the same time. With the current trend the vehicle will be in the shop again in a week. I have been in contact with GM service representatives, or shall I say lack of. I have called my representative and the main line over 7 times the past week and have not received a call back. GM has horrible customer service and does not care about anything other then themselves. This was my first american car and has also been the only car that has been to the shop. So disappointed. I am taking action under the Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act to get a refund. I wouldn't even want to venture with replacement option of this act. I advice anyone else having these issues to do the same. Stop supporting a company that doesn't care about you after you purchase a vehicle. 711148526449
    edited February 2013
    Our apologies that Linda hasn't contacted you back yet, saschmitz (I looked up the file number provided in your post). I will add information from your post to the documentation in the case and let her know you're looking to hear back from her.

Sarah, GM customer Service
    Sad to say after 2 weeks in the shop "again" after my last post I finally got my car back. Torque converter and drive train failure with 101,600 miles on it AFTER a rebuild 3 weeks prior due to broken wave plate. After contacting GM and my dealership did as well, my car now has a "new" " remanufactured" GM transmission!! Thankfully due to the amount of trouble and repairs I have had on this car and the transmission GM covered it! Only catch was a free 12mth 12,000 mile warranty or for $500 I could get a 36 month 100,000 mile warranty. I drive 120 miles a day to work round trip so I HAD to go for the 100,000 miles. Again luckily my dealership offered to pay 1/2 of the $500. I want to trade it off due to the fact I dont trust it anymore but I am almost $3000-$4000 upside down in my loan!! Can't do that! Still disappointed in this car but glad to see GM will stand behind their products. (For my case anyway). And kudos to my dealerships service department y Bob CLyse in Ironton Ohio. Next car will be from them only NOT a GMC!! Your service department is a big selling point for my car purchases and this one speaks volumes!!
    It is a disgusting vehicle - and GM does not care if you or anyone else has a problem.

Good luck getting something back - I hope you can do it. I only wish I could have - but now am stuck with this terrible vehicle.

I don't have an extended warranty - the non-American vehicles I have had just run without any issues. My Toyota Camry Hybrid has 94,000 miles; only replaced the tires! It just runs!
  • esullivanesullivan Member Posts: 8
    We are having the same problem with our 2010 4cyl. Terrain. Picked up terrain from service. Was told it was almost 4 qts low only after about 3.000 miles on oil change. was told we should check oil after each fuel addition. That is ridiculous. Oil had blown back into filter and other places. They said they replaced water pump shaft, timing chain. We had had the car for 3 years and this has not been a problem before. Our check engine light goes on and off intermittenly. we received a letter last week for an upgrade and was then told about checking oil. Why were we told this now,
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Sounds like you may have one of the bad engines. Since its a known problem with some you should be requesting an oil consumption test with dealer, little annoying but may result in getting a new engine (minus the oil problem). The letter is to address a change in oil life monitor program which is different then oil level ( The OLM doesn't have anything to do with amount of oil in engine)
    esullivan,

Have you had your dealership do an oil consumption test on your vehicle? Let us know if you would like for us to check into anything for you by emailing us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

We talked last night with someone from gm who was supposed to contact the dealership. We are just now requesting that they do a test.
  • mike466mike466 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 I-4 with 86,000 miles on it,which has caused me a lot of grief. In the last 3 months it is now using oil, where it is going who knows. But I started checking the oil like we use to do in the old days. Four high pressure fuel pumps and some buck and jerking going down the highway at times, I don't think I will continue with GM either. Oh, I have never got near the gas mileage they say we were going to get either.
    The dealership is saying you have to check your oil regularly at every fill-up and you can only use a certain grade oil like they are the only ones who can change it. Seems strange it has run for over two years with no problem, If they are saying this is normal, why didn't it do it the first two years. Last gm for us.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I think if you weed through the posts that deal with the oil consumption problem (check the Equinox forum) you might find it takes some time before the problem develops if you have one of the bad engines, maybe 30 or 40 K miles. I don't know about every fill-up to check the oil, but I do check on regular basis, my vehicle, my job to make sure everything is good with it :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know about every fill-up to check the oil

It's a good habit to get into, and since I tend to go several weeks between fill-ups, I usually check the oil at the gas pump. If I'm on the road and filling up frequently, I'll skip a few checks. What I'm lazy about is checking the tire pressure (no TPMS on my older cars).
    The car is a piece of junk. I have a 2011 - purchased new. Already had some "camshaft actuator" quit - first car ever to stop on the road! And I have had lots of vehicles. Gas mileage - take it to Star Buick/GMC in Quakertown, PA. They did a consumption test on mine - said it get 38.9 mpg! I asked them where the rest of the gas is going???? The best it gets on the highway, perfect driving conditions - 27. I wrote a letter to the owner of this dealership - He owns several - never responded to me. I tell everyone I can about that dealership and about that vehicle. Bad news!
    Did you ever do an oil consumption test with your dealership, mike466? Let us know if this is something you were interested in - we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    It is in the shop today because we were getting really bad fumes inside the car. Will see what they have to say. Not happy with their attitude.
  • wmu2007wmu2007 Member Posts: 1
    We have had our Terrain since Dec 2009 - it has been a total disappointment.

Most recently in Dec 2012, oil was over 5 qts on the dipstick and it seemed very dirty, smelled like gas - SUV had been driven less than 3,000 miles after oil change. Took it to the dealership - they told us it was not over 5 qrts but it needed more oil - what they did not realize I took a few pictures of the dipstick before taking it in. After taking it back 2 times, they ended up replacing the fuel pump.

Since we don't drive it much - now again 2,300 miles into it - the dipstick shows over 5 qts of oil and it is almost pure black. The SUV has only 34,000 miles.

I have called GM Customer service in December and they really don't seem to know what is going on, to make things worse, I think the dealership was mad that we had called them instead of just going back to the dealership. Our friends have an Equinox and after 45,000 miles and similar issues with the fuel pump, GM finally put in a new engine.

I requested the dealership to do a scope into the engine to see if there are any issues but they refuse, stating that they only do it on rare occasions.

Please let me know if you have had similar issues. It is very tempting at this point just to get an attorney. Not to mention the loud noise the car makes and the awful shifting.
    Had car in last of March for all these problems and today the Check Engine light came on again. VERY FRUSTRATED.
    Had this in the last of March for oil problems, check engine light and fumes. Had timing belt and a lot of other stuff done. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came back on tonight. VERY FRUSTRATED with GM.
  • beagle1380beagle1380 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same terrain. I have had this car into the shop no less than 5 times for at least overnight repairs!!! Including an engine replacement after it sucked up 5 qts of oil in less than a month! this is unacceptable for a brand new automobile. I am scheduled to take the car in tomorrow night for a piston type noise that occurs from the start until I've gone through a few gear changes. As I told the service department I don't know if this is a coincidence of timing or if it has to due with the transmission. The cam shaft actuators have allso been replaced. I am TOTALLY fed up with this car. I ve had some sort of noise thought out almost the entire time I've owned this car. It has even had rust coming from the tail gate latch. After the "fixed"it, the latch is messed up causing it to cut into your hand when you open it. I like the drive, space and features but they are not worth the hassle I have had with this car. I will not be buying a gmc again!
  • beagle1380beagle1380 Member Posts: 2
    I totally agree! I have the cam shaft actuator fix and had my whole engine replaced as well. As multiple "updates" that have been done that they said they would "work with me on" to get covered under my warranty! If its an update, it should be covered no matter how old! I have also had trouble with the service department fixing something only for something completely unrelated to be broken when I get it back, air conditioning, etc.
    I had to replace the cam shaft acuator as well - there have been noises which can not be explained - so, with 30k miles on (2011), it now gone! I traded it for a really nice Prius V - yes, smaller, but not that much! And, it is doing 47 mpg! Sticker says 42 but it is actually doing better! Of course the Terrain is suppose to 32 on highway - best we could every get was 27. I could not be happier! Check out the Prius V - it is larger than it looks.
    Interesting Sarah. I have a case number and a person who called me about 6 weeks ago - never called back! Terrible customer service from GM.

Thankfully, I did not wait until I begin having all of these problems - there were unidentified noises and coughing coming with mine as well...30k and gone!

Bernie

P.S. If you are interested in my case number and who was suppose to call me back, let me know!
    If you wanted to forward us either the last 8 digits of your VIN or your case number, bwall2, we would be happy to check into what happened with your case.

Sarah (Assisting Amber)
    GM Customer Care
  • cmh113456cmh113456 Member Posts: 1
    I need help, I own a 2010 Terrain and have had nothing but problems , from camshaft actuator, full pumps, oil leaks, and power steering issues. Does anyone know how I can get ahold of a GMC rep, because my car dealership will not let me have access to that info. Please help me!!!!!!!
    Hello,

I'm sorry to learn of the troubles you've had with your Terrain. We would be more than glad to try and help with your vehicle concerns. If you would like our assistance please email us your VIN, mileage and contact info at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber].

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    try : sarah.gmcustsvc@gmail.com
    GMC
    Po Box 909989
    Milwaukee, Wi 53209-9989

Attn: Jim Moloney

1-800-462-8782 Customer service Center

May be time to start a class action suit. We just sent nasty letter
    It is a terrible vehicle. We had a 2011; camshaft acuator went on this also. THE ONLY VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED THAT STOPPED ON THE ROAD! A class action suit is so appropriate for this vehicle. Fortunately, after exactly 2 years of this miserable vehicle, (30,000 miles) we were able to get rid of it. The happiest day of my life - GM will do nothing for you. They have a real attitude - after we bailed them out, they believe they are untouchable.

Class action suit would be great! Would love to be a part of that!