Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Lexus RX 350 USB iPod Aux Problems

hdeitershdeiters Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Lexus
I wanted to know if anyone has had a similiar experience with listening to an audio book with their iPod. The manual states that when you stop listening to your iPod and then start listening again you will pick up from where your stopped listening. Everytime that I listen to an audio book and then stop (either turning off the car or switching to radio) when I go back to the audio book it restarts from the beginning instead of picking up where I left off. I don't know if this is a design flaw or something wrong with my unit. Please let me know if anyone has experienced the same thing and if there is something that can be done.

Comments

• rivergirl2rivergirl2 Member Posts: 9
    I have the same problem. Have you found a solution?
  • rlm51rlm51 Member Posts: 21
    After connecting my iPod to the USB interface, I see that the USB tab is active. That is, I can click on the USB tab, but then none of the options or controls do anything. There is briefly a message that there is a problem with the iPod. Also, after connecting the iPod to the USB interface, the display on the iPod has the words "Do not disconnect" (until I disconnect the iPod).

I can connect the same iPod to the iPod interface that is built in to my wife's Mercedes, and the iPod works (plays) as expected.

So I suspect something with the iPod interface in the RX350. But I am not sure.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob in the Mile High City
  • rivergirl2rivergirl2 Member Posts: 9
    I sent a message to Lexus regarding the fact that the pause function does not work. Their response:
    We apologize for the concerns you are having with the iPod® interface in the 2010 RX 350. I understand that you are dissatisfied that your iPod® will not start at the same place in your audio book when you restart the vehicle. Depending on the iPod® player that is connected to the system, certain functions may not be available. We truly apologize if this functionality is not compatible with the iPod® you are using. We appreciate that you have taken the time to bring this issue to our attention. We design our vehicles with our customer ownership experience in mind and it is through correspondence such as yours that we are able to continually improve our products. Please be assured that your disappointment and feedback have been documented here at national headquarters for product improvement considerations.

Well, I tried a new ipod touch, a year old ipod touch and a 2 year old ipod nano. None have the pause function working, so you are always brough back to the beginning of your book. Ugh!! Wish I had my 2007 back with a cassette player so I could connect that way.
  • tea3tea3 Member Posts: 2
    I having a problem when I plug my IPOD TOUCH to the on board USB of my 2010 Lexus RX350. When playing music, it will work for a several minute even up to 2 hours and then cuts off with a message on the navigation screen saying....the IPOD PLAYER is having connection problem. This situation will go away and play music again after the IPOD cable is disconnected from the player and then plug back in. I thought it was the USB cable that I was using, I tried switching several, but the problem still went on.

The IPOD TOUCH is 2 months old. I don't know if the problem is coming from the USB INTERFACE of the car or from the IPOD TOUCH itself.

Is someone out there having the same problem? I need some solution.....
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I really think it would just be more simple if Lexus would install
    the auxillary jack(headphone-type) rather than a USB.
    It would be less complicated. I rented a Nissan Altima to drive from Tampa to Miami a couple of months ago, and the Altima just
    has the auxillary jack. It was so simple and worked fine. Of course, I guess you wouldn't be getting the interface on the nav
    screen, but I think I would prefer the aux. jack.

I went to the auto show today in Tampa. They had two RX450h
    hybrids on display. Don't know why they needed two hybrids, instead of one hybrid and one RX350, but the seats are so nice in
    the 2010's compared to my '07 RX. They were so soft, like butter!

Would you believe that Mercedes-Benz and Nissan/Infiniti didn't even show up with their vehicles this year at the auto show?
    Weird, weird! I guess it's all part of the downturn in the economy.
  • gfh1gfh1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an older I POD with the same problem
  • wbeesleywbeesley Member Posts: 1
    Having the same issue with a new RX450h. Plays 1 time in 4, maybe. Happens with both Nano's we own, and with two different cables.

The dealer is telling me we need to update the firmware in the iPods. There is no tech bulletin, and his tech support was no help officially. He got the story from his tech rep who supposedly had the same problem. Our service rep could not tell me if he meant "firmware" or "software". He also did not know that iTunes will always keep the software on an iPod up to date.

I feel like I'm getting blown off, but I'll investigate updating the iPods. :confuse:">
  • jp301jp301 Member Posts: 3
    After getting the standard "thank you for your feedback" message, I pressed to get an answer on whether Lexus has plans to fix the iPod USB Audiobook restart problem. Got the following answer:

"Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

At this time we do not have an update for the software to accomplish the action you described in your previous email. However, we will document your request for this function for future product enhancement consideration. We apologize that this feature has not met your expectations.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time. "

Oh, well -- I'm going to try an FM transmitter...
  • jp301jp301 Member Posts: 3
    Turns out that there is an Aux jack right next to the USB port on the 2010 RX350 (down in the bowels of the console box). So you can plug the iPod directly in, using the headphone jack on the player and a male-male cable to the car Aux jack. You have to control the iPod manually, but at least you can listen to audiobooks without them restarting. Use the "AUX" tab on the audio system (at least that is what works on mine, which has the Nav system).

Page 319 in the main manual shows the location of the Aux jack.

I encourage you all to email Lexus to complain about this function on the USB port. A very nice service rep I spoke with said the volume of complaints will help prioritize a software upgrade.
  • gfh1gfh1 Member Posts: 2
    The AUX input will not charge your I Pod, and of course you can not use the screen to change tracks.

Use this web site to complain. Please complain ! As this defect impairs all i Pods and software versions on all 2010 RX s . Remember that this is an option you paid for . Also take it into the dealer and make them burn service hours looking at it. Bring mutiple I Pods and really get their attention.

Does it effect other 2010s
  • tea3tea3 Member Posts: 2
    Will some post the Web Link to Lexus so everyone can start send a COMPLAIN. GFH1 is absolutely correct, we all pay for this USB OPTION, its just about right for us to be able to use it.
    Thanks, wbeesley.

I know that my iPod is ok because as you said, iTunes keeps the iPod up-to-date automatically. (Not to mention that the iPod works fine in a different vehicle.)

The initial six month service is next month, and I will have them check out this issue at that time. I will post any results (good or bad) after that service is completed.

Bob in the Mile High City
  • shelby8shelby8 Member Posts: 1
    We are having the same problem! We have a RX450H and our ipod now stopped working completely! To bad my friend sons car is a 2010 Ford Focus and he can play songs manage his calls and play incoming Text messages for a 395.00 option! Boy did lexus drop the ball... The dealership said they are working on it what load of crap! I am calling them tomorrow and demand they fix it, :lemon: three trips and its a lemon! :mad:
  • rxersrxers Member Posts: 9
    Hi Guys -

Just got a 2010 RX 350. It has a USB and a AUX output, but I am not sure what to do with that.

#1 - can I use my iPod to connect to this? I know I can via the AUX audio out, but that won't allow me to control the iPod menu.

#2 - Whats the USB connection for? Do I use that for my iPod? If so, can I control that? What about USB thumbdrives with MP3s?

THanks!
  • staiberstaiber Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2010 RX 350 last week with 6000 miles on it. I am having the same issue when trying to play an audio book. Has anyone been able to fix this issue? Thanks!
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Just curious-how much did you save by purchasing a 2010 with 6000 miles on it over a brand new vehicle?Discount from MSRP that is?
  • staiberstaiber Member Posts: 2
    Sticker was $48k, I paid $43k.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Thank you.
  • hdeitershdeiters Member Posts: 4
    Sorry to say I have had my RX350 since March but have been unable to find a solution. I had some success with certain books but I cannot figure out why those books work and others don't. Unfortunately most of the books don't work properly and always restart when I turn the car off and on.
  • bl8ant1bl8ant1 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same issue where the USB screen either goes gray and you cannot hear the doinging sound or it altogether doesn't recognize the device. You have to disconnect and reconnect to fix.

1. It happens with both my iPod Touch and IPhone 3GS.
    2. I was able to reproduce the issue when I searched by Artist.
    3. It reproduced by itself when just playing music.

It appears to be a Lexus software issue from my troubleshooting. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
  • glyndacglyndac Member Posts: 1
    I'm just sick about this. After years of frustration trying to listen to audiobooks on my iPod through FM transmitter connected in the cigarette lighter, I debated whether to keep my 2006 RX 330 and go to an auto audio store and have them put in a new iPod capable radio or buy the new 2010 RX 350. I bought the 2010 last week and was so excited. I told the salesman how important the iPod feature is to me. We tried it briefly and I thought it was working but I didn't spend enough time with it.

Got the car, put my iPod iTouch on usb and all it will do is start at the beginning of the book. Every time I turn it off and back on, it goes back to the beginning of the book. Every button/control knob on the dash or steering wheel moves to the next or previous book in the list.!!!! ARGH! I wish I'd read here before I bought because I simply would not have bought the car until this was fixed!

I bought an aux cable and a cigarette lighter charger with a usb port and am using it though aux but I'm going to have the same problem as before, trying to control the iPod through the iPod while driving! That's as dangerous as texting! The only thing I gained is a dedicated channel to play it on.

Glynda
  • og18og18 Member Posts: 1
    This problem does affect other 2010's. My wife has an IS 250 and she has the same problem. Lexus gave her the same song and dance as everyone else. I wasn't at the dealership with her but we will be going back and I'm planning on bringing everyone's posts along with this youtube link that documents it as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55uFgf0tEnM

They tried to act as if this was something they've never heard of so I'll make sure they know it's not a fluke so we can talk about getting her in a different lease because I smell lemons...
    I brought my vehicle in shortly after the orginal post in January. The service rep verified that the problem also existed on other new 2010s sitting on their lot. He submitted a ticket to Lexus and told me it might take a couple of months to hear back. Well, it is now April and nothing. I will call him and see if I can get the ticket # and status. I will post any useful information that I find here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #22 of 24 RX350 2010 IPod Issues by bl8ant1 Jan 28, 2010 (12:26 pm)

I have the same issue where the USB screen either goes gray and you cannot hear the doinging sound or it altogether doesn't recognize the device. You have to disconnect and reconnect to fix.

1. It happens with both my iPod Touch and IPhone 3GS.
    2. I was able to reproduce the issue when I searched by Artist.
    3. It reproduced by itself when just playing music.

It appears to be a Lexus software issue from my troubleshooting. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
  • 4canali4canali Member Posts: 1
    Are there any updates or solutions to
    1) intermittent connection failures or
    2) uncontrolled "play" of songs/artists/albums displayed on the screen since the last user's post on April 7?
  • scania900scania900 Member Posts: 1
    My 450h started having connection problems a couple days after I started using a new iPod. 60% of the time when I turn the car on the iPod doesn't come on. Disconnecting and reconnecting the wire doesn't fix it, however, if I turn the car off then back on, the iPod is fine - every time.

I haven't diagnosed further trying the older iPod again (which always worked fine).
  • brunnhildebrunnhilde Member Posts: 2
    We are having similar problems to those identified here. When we use the USB port it seems to connect the ipod - "dont disconnect" etc. but that's it....it won't actually work.
    The dealers seems totally clueless about the problem. I think the car is very complicated and the average salesperson just doesn't know enough to identify problems.
    We get bum advice such as update your ipod (of course it updates automatically!).
    Really infuriating.....does anyone have any idea what the problem actually is?
  • raminmdraminmd Member Posts: 2
    So we got a 2010 RX 350 that has a USB input for audio. It recognizes my wife's IPOD and plays it great. Everything shows up on the screen and works fine. It does not even recognize my Zune. It does not show that USB is connected and I cannot see any auxiliary mini stereo input anywhere. It seems ridiculous that I cannot play my Zune. Is that by design? Apart from using FM transmitters (which suck), is there any way I can get my zune to work?
    Raminmd, the auxiliary jack is located right by the USB jack down in the bowels of the console. I know it can be hard to see and maneuver down there. But it should be right next to the USB if you can shine a flashlight down in there. Also, once you get the auxiliary jack hooked up, just push the aux. button until it says auxiliary, and it should work. Good Luck!
  • rmichelrmichel Member Posts: 1
    I just got 2011 RX 350 and it definitely recognizes the ipod. Whether it works or not, too early to tell, however, I am disappointed that it does not recognize my playlists. Is this your experience as well?
  • zloychelovekzloychelovek Member Posts: 1
    Indeed this interface does not allow control of playlists or other features. I wonder if someone figured way to use it. It is awfull the way it is. Infiniti and Acura having fantastic interface.
  • pabloescondidopabloescondido Member Posts: 1
    My 450h is an early 2010 model, from Fall, 2009. I've had problems since the start with with all model iPods and 3G iPhone. Lost connection, jumping back to start of the selection [audiobook podcasts most annoying], and sometimes jumping to another item.

It is in the shop this week, allegedly getting a new circuit board/firmware that allegedly fixes the problem. Was told it's been available since Fall, 2010. If I knew of a service bulletin, it's pass it on, but I don't, yet.
  • seattlecarsseattlecars Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    Can you report if the new circuit board firmware fix the problem?

I'm frustrated that I can't listen to audiobooks. Every time I restart it goes back to the beginning of the book...
    I recently connected my wife's iPhone 4 in our 2010 RX350. I was pleasantly surprised by the controls available -- by Artist, Genre, playlists, random, and so forth. Almost too distracting to deal with while driving ... but definitely fun.

Regards,

--
    Bob in the Mile Hi City
    Hi
    It's April 24, 2011. Had new firmware installed Friday...service didn't know anything about the problem.

New firmware DID NOT help...audio books still return to the beginning after turning off engine.

this is ridiculous...How much did we spend for this car that a car half the price (Suburu Outback) can do so easily...

KSC
    At last, I got my 2010 RX 350 to read iPod audiobooks properly without it restarting at the beginning every time I turned off the engine.

After reading all the posts, I took my car in and got the firmware updated but that didn't solve the problem. Perhaps the firmware helped but after the upgrade my first generation iPhone and old iPod touch still didn't read audiobooks or music properly. It still started at the beginning everytime I turned it on. The fix was I purchased a brand new iPod nano 6th generation and it works perfectly. So, my guess is that it was partly the firmware and partly older software in the "i" products that didn't play well together.

I'm finally able to listen to audiobooks without frustration.

KSC
    I recently had my car in for normal repairs and asked again about any updates to the firmware. They did have an update that included iPod and Nav system changes. I asked them to update it and it actually fixed all the issues I originally described.

If you are scrolling through a list, it doesn't automatically start playing the first choice on that next screen. It waits for you to make a choice. I am not experiencing the disconnects anymore.

I have called my rep so I can post the ticket # for that change. Stay tuned...
    The other nice thing is the ability to connect with your BT audio. Then you can choose the songs, artists, play lists, etc. directly from you iPhone. The only downside is you cannot see it on your screen. You can also control next/previous song and volume from your steering wheel. The upside is you dont need wires.
  • fernsferns Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2010 RX 350 with GPS, 19" wheels etc and I am unable to add phone numbers on to the vehicle. I have a Nokia G3 and am aware I will not be able to transfer the phone numbers into the vehicle. But when I started entering each number it does not accept. I have tried connecting a iphone too and tried adding numbers but unsuccessful. My IPod too does not work on the vehicle.
    Contacted Lexus Customer service and they are unable to resolve the issue since a few months now.
    Does anyone else have this same problem?
    Are you entering your phone contacts manually? My saleslady wrote down the various steps on how to enter the phone contacts manually. It can be time-consuming though.
  • fernsferns Member Posts: 4
    Yes. That is the only way to enter names/phone numbers if you are not able to transfer them from the cell phone. It has a capacity of 1000 numbers. After entering the first one it still reads as 1000 available. It does not get saved.
  • gixxeracergixxeracer Member Posts: 1
    hdieters,
    i have a 2010 awd rx350 with nav. I have synced 4 iphones two of which were the 3g phones and now have synced 2 newer 4g models. I could only speak of how to sync with bt on the iphone. I did this by first by turning on car then click on phone icon and selecting one of the 4 slots. Make sure your bt is on on you phone. on the iphone select general then bluetooth then on. The screen should ask to connect phone and also gives you a code to enter on you iphone. You should see on your iphone "multicar" or something like that click on that and it should ask for the code that your car screen shows. after they connect it will ask if you want to transfer all your contacts. hopes that help
  • lpearsonlpearson Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for documenting this. I, too, recently traded up my Rx 2001 to a 2010 and am having the same difficulty with listening to an audiobook - I can stop trying new things thanks to you.