Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cayenne Repair and Maintenance Questions

2turboken2turboken Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Porsche
Okay this is really startin to p me off...I've spent more money on my 04 cayenne turbo than any of my other vehicles combined I live in Chicago and my wife is sick me having to put it in the shop for stuff... so It's about do it myself or die time for the cayenne..HELP

1.should I still be adding oil after 50k is that normal?...can I change the oil myself? has anyone out there done it themselves? I mean how hard could it be?

2. Has anyone had the rear hatch glass hydraulics fail?

3. how hard it it to change the many lights in the headlamp assembly?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    1. Why would you stop changing oil? The consequences of not doing so aren't pretty.

2. Mechanical components do fail so I'd be surprised if no one has had this particular failure.

3. I have no direct experience with the Cayenne but a good repair manual should walk you through the procedure or another owner here may be able to guide you through it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cayenneownercayenneowner Member Posts: 1
    I changed the oil in my 2005 cayenne and it was not that hard. first, I took the oil cap off.
    Raised the Cayenne all the way up.
    Removed the plastic panels. One large one and two small ones on each side.
    The filter is right in plain sight, as well as the drain plug. I replaced the drain plug with a new one. Drain the oil filter and replace the the filter and o ring.
    Drain the engine oil then replace the plug. Don't overtight the oil filter.
    I used synthetic oil. It takes 9 quarts including the filter. Only after making sure that no leaks are present, replace the plastic panels. Write down the miles and date. It only took me an hour and it was the first time I have done it.
    Note, You need an allen socket (I think 10mm) for the drain plug.
    I do not know the proper torque for the drain plug. I just did not tighten too much.
    The plug does not use a brass washer.
    Hope this helps you.
    I always have a good feeling when I can do things myself.
    I also replaced the cabin air filter. It is underneath the glove box. You remove a small screw with a star driver. the cover just snaps off. remove two screws and remove a plastic cover. R and R the filter making note the air flow.
    -
    What I need help on is replacing the air filters. Have you tried this?
  • porscheowner2porscheowner2 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to know if using start ignition NAPA coils on a Porsche Cayenne S is recommended? The dealeship strongly advices against but my extended warranty will only pay for NAPA coils. I need an expert opinion regarding the matter since I am a physician and my mechanical knowledge is very limited. I feel that my warranty company is not acting in my best interest but again, my knowledge is limited. Thank You
  • dallydane1968dallydane1968 Member Posts: 1
    Im looking at purchasing a 2004 cayenne but the rear hatch motor is broken . the door falls downs , does anybody know how much it cost to fix or is it something else .
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can you hear the motor engage? If so, you may just have some part out of place.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • opjp88opjp88 Member Posts: 11
    Can anyone recommend how many miles between oil changes on Cayenne? Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what Porsche recommends.
  • manmnmanmn Member Posts: 2
    If you have time & money, the more the marrier for the engine. I change my oil (synthetic) every 5K for all the cars I own
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    edited April 2010
    My 2005 V6 Cayenne now has 45,000 miles on it. I have alternated between the stock 17" wheels shod with Continentals in the summer and some nifty 18" turbo wheels with Dunlop winter tires I bought on Ebay. Its now time for a set of all season tires as both the summer and winter tires are worn. For aesthetics I'd like to put them on the 18" turbo wheels. I drive mildly, don't do track days, but do live in New England where it snows.

Which brand and size does the board recommend? My dealers Part Manager recommended some Michelin Lattitude HPs. An earlier (2006?) post on this board mentioned Michelin Energy Plus. What is the current thinking for a set of good riding all season tires?
  • jayme1234jayme1234 Member Posts: 1
    I can not take my Porsche Cayenne on a long trip and use my CD player and heat the CD player will stop working, has anyone else had that issue?
  • wmkimwmkim Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2008 Cayenne S that did something similar to that...I had an audio CD burned from my iTunes library...it would play fine when I left in the morning...in the afternoon (when it was warmer/hotter) it would randomly lose track of the audio at certain tracks...I figured it was b/c it was a burned disc...the few actual CDs I have seemed to work OK in it.
  • proteus36proteus36 Member Posts: 1
    Interested to know how I should be thinking about reliability (beyond the 3rd party research), specifically, engine reliability. Are there engine problems that I should be aware of? The car is running fine at the moment, but just wanted to hear from others experience. thanks in advance
  • n1g1fln1g1fl Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2011
    Have a 2008 cayenne V6 - 1st 2 years were fine. 6m ago a steering faulty warning started comming on. Dont notice anything in terms of driving. Had it back to dealer 3 times - they have changed wires, steering module etc - Steering Faulty light still comes on intermittently - anybody else have this happen?. anything to do?.
This discussion has been closed.