Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

forester tires size

srushsrush Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Subaru
Hi can I fit 225 60 16 on a 2005 forester
I was offered some studded snows and was in hopes they will fit ok
thanks again steve

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I had 225/60R16 tires on my 1998 model, though it had aftermarket rims with an offset that put the tires a little farther out from the body.

On yours the studs will stick out, and you don't want that hitting the fender.

It's within the 3% bigger than stock that is industry standard so there is a good chance it will fit, but I would mount them carefully and maybe try to cycle the suspension through it's travel with the front wheels turned to see if it hits the fender.
  • jbdc1jbdc1 Member Posts: 3
    I have 225/60R16 General Altimax RT on an 04 Forester, haven't had a problem in 30k miles. Don't know about studs though.
  • 23graceave23graceave Member Posts: 5
    A country road curb jumped out at me today and I blew the front tire.
    The car only has 4.500 miles on it. Am going to get one new Geolander tire.
    My quandry is to still use the slightly bent rim on the front and then pick up a cheap real spare tire and get a used rim for that -
    or buy a new rim for the Geolander and use the slightly damaged rim for a real spare.
    any suggestions appreciated
    Does it still seal well? You can probably have a body shop fix it and keep it as a spare. Better than a donut any day.
  • 23graceave23graceave Member Posts: 5
    Tire is gone- blown out
    I do want a real spare but it will be useless unless I can get a rim to fit it
    any ideas?
    new one is over $ 300
  • tireandservicetireandservice Member Posts: 4
    You can use this calculator to see what tire sizes fit your car:
    Vehicle Size Lookup
    $300, ouch. Even from an on-line wholesaler?
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    check eBay - I've bought spare wheels for all my vehicles on eBay anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 dealer price, from like new to perfectly new in box.
  • grafzeppelingrafzeppelin Member Posts: 14
    After looking high and low for a full-size spare wheel, I finally just bit the bullet and bought a used, 17" Forester wheel on ebay for $150. The whole purpose was to avoid all of the hassle my wife would have to face if she was alone and had to replace a flat on one of the front tires, per the manufacturer's recommendations.
    I posted this question on this forum awhile back and I was directed to tirerack.com. The only wheels they had were pretty elaborate things and were not what I was looking for. I wanted something that my wife or I could simply change out, and not have to worry about speed limitations (as one would if the factory-supplied doughnut was used), or issues with the four-wheel drive, etc.
    I will definitely be including a "full-size spare" in my negotiations on any future Subaru purchase for sure!!!!!
    I put a full sizer in my wife's 02 Legacy. I got alloys and kept one of the steelies that came with the car. It even fit in the spare tire well when I removed the styrofoam.

Did yours fit in the spare tire well? Got any pics? I can host 'em for ya...
    Yes, the full-size spare did fit, but I had to remove the foam spacer for everything to fit nice and flush.

I guess I could post some pictures but they would only show a spare wheel & tire in the spot where the original "doughnut" spare was.
    Glad to hear that's a possibility.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    What year is the Forester?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    edited October 2010
    "... the full-size spare did fit, but I had to remove the foam spacer for everything to fit nice and flush. I guess I could post some pictures but they would only show a spare wheel & tire in the spot where the original "doughnut" spare was.

The full size spare fits because the floor pan is stamped to hold it. Subaru did not stamp a special tiny well just for the smaller diameter of the compact spare used in the North American market.

This picture of my 2008 LL Bean converted to full size spare shows the OEM $70 bucket support that is also required, to prevent the thin plywood cargo panel from sagging down until it rests on the tire. This is what Foresters in the US looked like before the introduction of the compact spare:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Forester/Forester%20FS%20- - Spare/IMG_0746.jpg
    It is a 2009 Forester X. The last post by aatherton is factual in that the pan is indeed stamped to fit the full-size spare.
    :)
    Cool.

My concern was that some markets use smaller tires than the US-spec Forester, so I was wondering if our big US-spec tires fit.

Glad to know they do.
This discussion has been closed.