Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need strength/impact/height specs on 2007 Eddie Bauer Expedition

passionatemindpassionatemind Member Posts: 9
edited May 2014 in Ford
I need to know where I can find specs on the exact bumper height and strength on a 2007 Expedition. Without going into gory details of why I need it, just believe me that I really, really do. It could save me more than $700.

Thanks so much . . .

Comments

• alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Height is easy, but I've never seen any specific data on impact strength of a individual component, i.e. the bumper. Usually manufacturers just report how the vehicles have faired in standardized crash tests. Seems to be an odd request that you've been asked to provide by someone...do they have any examples of anyone else supplying that kind of data?
  • passionatemindpassionatemind Member Posts: 9
    Where would I find height info?

No one has asked for the strength/impact specs. I'm wanting them to do some figuring on pressure & momentum to see if it's physically possible for my 9-year-old son to have cracked the bumper of our neighbor's Expedition. He weighs 60-some-odd pounds, and rides a 16" bike. She has skipped the whole "talk it over nicely and work it out" phase and is taking us to state arbitration, complete with lawyers. I'm hoping to get an idea of how likely it is that he could have done it, to know whether or not we should try to settle, or hold out for only having to pay our own lawyer fees.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe some of this info from the NHTSA will help.

Bumper standards are pretty weak these days.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The answer depends on exactly what part was (allegedly) damaged and its composition, i.e. is it plastic or metal (aluminum, chrome, etc). Have you directly inspected the damage yourself?

I would talk to my insurance company and provide all the information I could then have them deal with it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    You coluld just swing by a dealer for the height measurement. The 07 is the same set up as the newer models. As far as the bumper goes, I'm guessing you are talking about the bumper cover, not the bumper. There is absolutely no specification for a bumper cover, and no data that can replicate a bike hitting it. It is not hard to believe that depending on how he hit it, it cracked the cover. It is just a thin plastic sheet.. It is also not too much of a stretch to think a 16" bike is high enough. I think you are going to be in a tough position to try and prove that it couldn't have happened.
This discussion has been closed.