Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine knocking in 2008 MB R350

adnanfadnanf Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
The engine is making a light knocking noise when I start the car. After taking it to the dealer I am told it is a normal characteristic of this specific model MB 2008 R350. Upon questioning, I am told this issue is not in years prior or after 2008. Therefore, they will not fix anything. Is this correct? Has anyone else come across it?

Comments

• denvergaaschdenvergaasch Member Posts: 1
    I have always had the same problem in my 2006 r350. I have taken it in twice and have always been told that its a normal thing. But it drives me crazy!
  • adnanfadnanf Member Posts: 4
    One dealership told me the noise is probably due to the issue with bearings in the crankshaft and the noise is not normal.

I am not sure why MBUSA is running from this issue. Probably due to high cost of fixing it? I am keep on pursuing but as of yet MBUSA is turning me down.
  • aviator4aviator4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 06 R 500 with 24,000 miles, the engine pings when taking off, no one seems to be able to tell me what's wrong, are you having any luck with this problem?
    No luck so far. I am appalled by MBUSA's running away from their responsibility. No one, except MBUSA, is saying the knocking/pinning noise is normal. Every technician and mechanic I showed the noise to thinks something is wrong but requires deeper look into the engine which can be costly. If not remedied it can result in costlier engine replacement down the road.

Legal action maybe required to compel MBUSA to get serious about this issue. What do you think?
  • aviator4aviator4 Member Posts: 3
    I will take it to another M Dealer this week, and we'll see what they have to say, I'll keep you posted.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Before legal action try arbitration. You could also have the service mgr acknowledge the noise and have him put it in writing. Then go up the chain to mb corporate with copies of the statement. Tell them you are concerned and want assurances that all is well. The engine can also be checked via computer to give you a status re the problem area. Codes should id if there is a problem.
  • mohideenmohideen Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 R-350 with 29,000 Mileage on it. Engine makes loud noise when in drive at a stop. I went to the dealer twice, they are not able to identify the problem.
    Don't let it go. Keep on pushing with the dealer there has to be something wrong with the car. Cars are designed to be quite and comfortable. Making noises like these is a sign of something wrong. If they can't identify the problem take it to a couple of other dealers and other technicians until it is found. MBUSA is running away from their responsibility.
This discussion has been closed.