Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Check Engine Light and VCS Light

gfoster1gfoster1 Member Posts: 1
When accelerating there is a noise that seems to come from the exaust (can not be duplicated not in gear). This noise got louder recently, and then the noise stopped. When the noise stopped, the check engine light illuminated as well as the VCS and VCS off lights. Is there a common cause for this and/or trouble shooting steps that should be followed?

Comments

• b1gator1b1gator1 Member Posts: 3
    Just 2 days ago the Check Engine and VCS Light illuminated on my 2005 Avalon. No noise or other apparent symptoms. Any idea what may be the problem/fix short of taking to the dealer? :confuse:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    VSC automatically turns off by default with a check engine light/condition.
    I took the car in last week and after diagnostics dealer says it is the charcoal canister near the fuel tank that is bad. I was told that this is only covered under the 3/36 basic warranty. my reading of the warranty book says this is a emissions part covered under the 5yr/60K mileage warranty. Did get my VVI oil line fixed under warranty however.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    It just happened to me a couple of days after servicing, check engine and vsc, I checked my gas cap for ha ha's, it was loose, I am a suspicious person, & I NEVER leave my gas cap loose. The dealer keeps sending me stuff about maintainence, HMMMM, could THEY have loosened the cap ????????????

Disconnected the battery to clear the fault, WE"LL SEE if it clears up and thank you for the headsup.
  • auntsallyauntsally Member Posts: 6
    The VCS light has been on for months. The Toyota dealer shop told me that the estimated cost to diagnose why it was on would be $800.00. I do not find that answer acceptable. Any ideas from anyone on why it is on?
    I had a similar problem and the cause was traced to the Charcoal canister mounted near the fuel tank (I know it sounds unrelated) :) but after getting the charcoal canister replaced the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) Light and the Check Engine Light went out and the Laser Cruise Control would work again. Between the part itself and the labor the cost to replace the charcoal canister was about $850.00. The price they quoted you to diagnose was obviously ridiculous and I believe to check your car's computer for error codes is about $100. I hope this helps and that you are able to get your car fixed.
  • phillephille Member Posts: 1
    I HAD SAME PROBLEM ON MY 2005 AVALON AND 99 HONDA PRELUDE THE ENGINE LIGHT AND VCS LIGHT STAY ON FOR COUPLE DAY (FOR NO REASON ?) I THINK THE SENSOR ABS OR VCS IS STICKY (CAR WASH OR W40 WILL GO AWAY )
  • leafelady123leafelady123 Member Posts: 1
    What do you mean....car wash or w40 will go away? "Where" is the problem?
  • toddyttoddyt Member Posts: 1
    check engine light & vsc light in 2005 avalon
  • psue10psue10 Member Posts: 1

I have to replace my gas cap once a year, seems to be a problem with this car. I dont know how this could be related to those lights but seems to sork. I figure $20 a year is a cheap fix.

• jvillanojvillano Member Posts: 1
    I recently had a similar issue In making a short turn on gravel the tire spun a bit and shortly after the VSC and check engine light came on. Will disconnecting the battery reset this or is there another procedure that might do it. Thanks