Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi Engine Failure

Comments

• janap1janap1 Member Posts: 6
    My boyfriends Dodge Ram 2004 had the same issue...the motor had water in the oil and was a total loss.
  • jddallasjddallas Member Posts: 1
    ..need a truck for my biz cuz my 1998 Chevy C/K 1500 has 250,000+ miles on it..and truthfully, I'm AMAZED it lasted this long (only reason I've kept it this long is cuz it has a $3000 rail liftgate on back..and come to think of it I think I'll go BACK to Chevy ASAP)

..so I'm looking for good solid used SUV..and came across what seemed to be a real sweet 06 Durango with 87K miles on it..leather moon roof towing package 4x4..even color I dig..BUT the thing that "DID IT" was it had the "LEGENDARY" HEMI engine..price was a li'l more than I had budgeted but hey "it's got a HEMI" ..right? I figured I was making an investment and even treating myself a li'l

..bought it from an individual and when I drove it I drove just fine..guy didn't wanna turn it over to me til check cleared and since Thanksgiving Holiday it was almost 2 full weeks before I finally got to take possession of it

..on way home it started knocking and check engine light came on and accompanying bong sounded 3-4 times

..called the guy to see if he could tell me what that might be and this would be the first attempt (of many) at contacting him..to date he has yet to respond

..drove it next day and engine began shaking so bad and lost power that I immediately diverted to my trusted mechanic that was luckily only 3 miles away..he's worked on my fleet vans for years and never steered me wrong..he found oil in the MDS solenoids on #5 & #7 cylinders (OBD2 logged these cylinders as misfires)..he replaced these and felt this should solve problem but that his computer was down and wasn't able to give full diagnostic..when I picked up the Durango I drove it home and started to get knocking and check engine light again

..gotta admit I was NOT pleased with "trusted mechanic" (cost me $550..but he did admit upfront his computer was down and he'd have to diagnose and fix it old skool for now..I was in a pinch time wise so I WAS kinda pressing him..in other words I WANTED to believe he could fix it)

..so I did something I swore I would NEVER EVER do again (from my experiences with previous dealerships) and had it towed to nearest DODGE dealership..sure enuf get a call 2 days later telling me that the cam shaft and lifters were worn and that I was looking at $4000..HOWEVER even then he couldn't guarantee this would solve problem (jeez guys REALLY? did I take it to the DODGE DEALERSHIP or GREASE MONKEY GARAGE?)

..truthfully, I need this for work so I was half tempted to say fix it but I wanted him to tell me why he felt even this might not solve the problem..and it was his answer that floored me

..he said the mechanic was worried that there might be a problem with the #7 cylinder rod..at the time it didn't make sense but AFTER reading these posts it did..I asked him if he heard/knew something that would make him say this..and he said no and that he was 90% certain this would fix problem..but after reading these posts..I know why he said that

..CUZ THEY KNOW THIS IS A RECURRING PROBLEM!!!

..like many I have a large rolling paperweight

..I am in the process of suing the person I bought it from..and after consulting with my "trusted mechanic" he/we feel the only route to go is to drop another good remanny-ed engine in and then see if I can't get a year's worth of driving out of it and then sell..although I'm not a real big fan of just passing my problems onto someone else..like was done to me

..truthfully, my biz does well and I can likely afford (altho it stings) the 15K+ this is finally gonna cost me..but for someone on a fixed income..this can be DEVASTATING!

..if anyone has any insight I would (also) truly appreciate it..(i.e. lawsuits, dealer assitance, gov't credits etc)
  • mrswhisenhuntmrswhisenhunt Member Posts: 1
    So I have have my 04' Durango not even a year and have had several issues with it. First sign was it started idealing high, stalled and the check engine light came on. Had it checked and nothing came up, light shut off and problem seemed to go away I just recently had to replace the starter and then yesterday driving it started to run hard and as I went to take out from a light I heard a pop, grinding and then smoke, well I now have a softball size hole in my engine. Really disgusted so many people seemed to have the same issue and yet no recall. :sick:
  • gibson85gibson85 Member Posts: 2
    I havent done anything to it yet. i am in the military and will be gone for a while. when i get back im gonna break it down and try to see whats going on. i wrote a complaint on that website, but i dont think its gonna go anywhere. im just gonna have to buy the parts to fix it myself.
  • ifucantdodgeitifucantdodgeit Member Posts: 7
    Well if it is anything like mine ( which I hope it is not ) you will have to buy a whole new engine. Good luck and thank you for your service to this country.
  • wuzziernwuzziern Member Posts: 8
    Copy and pated from NHTSA. Results from search for service bulletins.

Make : DODGE Model : DURANGO Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : Chrysler Group LLC
    Service Bulletin Number : 0422 Date of Bulletin : OCT 01, 2004
    NHTSA Item Number : 10010567
    Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Check to Request Research. Submit below. Get Summary

Here is the summary copy and pasted from NHSTA:

Safercar.gov logo

Service Bulletins Summary

Make / Models:

Model/Build Years:

DODGE / DURANGO

2003-2005

DODGE / RAM

2003-2004

DODGE / RAM 3500

Service Bulletin Number:

NHTSA Item Number:

Summary:
    5.7L ENGINE LONG BLOCK REPAIR / REPLACE PROCEDURES. WARRANTY PLANNING & ADMINISTRATION *TT
  • karrietakarrieta Member Posts: 7
    My motor just blew. My mechanic said he had never seen anything like it before. It was the #8 rod. If this happened to you, you need to file a complaint at (888)327-4236 safercar.com You will need your vin#.

I keep reading the same complaint so I'm posting to hopefully get some people calling in to the government. So far they have lodge 32 complaints on this matter. I asked what is the magic number & there is none. When they notice a pattern they will investigate.

If there are enough complaints the gov will issue a recall & will make them reimburse us.
  • rremusrremus Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat as you all. 77,000 miles (easy local miles) and I found out today that the engine is shot. Pistons, crank shaft and all. Dodge is worthless. Called them myself and they have no known issues with Durango's and in fact, and in their opinion, they're the best running trucks in the industry. Where's do I file a complaint with the government?

Rob from Philadelphia
    Rob,
    Call the 888# in my previous post....it only takes a few minutes. You will need your Vin number.

This has been financially devastating for us; the truck is a total loss.

Best of luck,
    Kris
    http://www.consumercomplaintagency.org/checkstatus.cgi

I did file a complaint with them. I forwarded the information Todd has after taking his broke motor apart. Here is Todd's link. https://sites.google.com/site/blownuphemi/

I think the louder people complain and to more agencies then maybe the government will force them to fix the problem. But YOU HAVE TO CALL Dodge as often as possible. I am going to call after this message is. Contact me if you have any questions. Lynn
    Do a search on NHTSA for Service Bulletin results re: Durango

Here is the 5th one down:
    Make : DODGE Model : DURANGO Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : Chrysler Group LLC
    Service Bulletin Number : 1802406 Date of Bulletin : JUL 21, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10020194
    Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Here is the summary!

Make / Models:
    Model/Build Years:
    DODGE / DURANGO
    2004-2006
    Service Bulletin Number:
    NHTSA Item Number:
    Summary:
    ENGINE CYLINDER MISFIRE OR IGNITION COIL MALFUNCTION DURING HEAVY RAIN OR CAR WASH. *TT

Does this sound familiar??
    I am not sure how I found this but I clicked on the first report:

Safercar.gov logo

Recalls Documents

Search Results:

Total items: 12

Name

Description

Size (KB)

RCDNN-03V528-8749.pdf Defect and Noncompliance Notice(Part 573) 234
    RCFK-03V528-9777.pdf Fax Acknowledgement 16
    RCMN-03V528-8533.pdf Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) 36
    RCONL-03V528-8349.pdf Owner Notification Letter(Part 577) 20
    RCQPR-03V528-1047.PDF Quarterly Performance Report 67
    RCQPR-03V528-1342.PDF Quarterly Performance Report 74
    RCQPR-03V528-3781.PDF Quarterly Performance Report 64
    RCQPR-03V528-5473.pdf Quarterly Performance Report 13
    RCQPR-03V528-6736.pdf Quarterly Performance Report 23
    RCQPR-03V528-6845.pdf Quarterly Performance Report 14
    RCRIT-03V528-9440.pdf Remedy Instructions and TSB 151
    RCRN-03V528-6963.pdf Renotification Notice 7

RCDNN-03V528-8749.pdf : open this PDF. There are more names to notifiy.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/documentList.xhtml?docId=03V528&docType=RCL-
    No...Chrysler didn't make good on the motor. But we did do something else. Nothing we expected, but we went to look at a new car. Had no intentions of buying anything, certainly not new, and for sure not to included "trading in" the Durango!!! But low and behold one of the car dealers outside San Antonio got us into a new Galant (2012) and they are paying off the Durango . Still had 3500.00 left to pay. I am sure grateful they could do that for us. And we are still trying to fix our credit reports. So maybe check out new cars with rebates and see if you can find a dealer to take it off your hands. So if anybody out there near San Antonio, Gillman Honda/Mitsubishi in Selma is where we went. Lynn
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Most dealers will do this, but if you look closely I think you'll find they buried the cost of the payoff in the amount you paid for the Galant.
  • atwoods6atwoods6 Member Posts: 1
    I too was just told that the engine on my 2005 Dodge Durango with 110K miles was shot. I had it at 3 local mechanics including a Dodge dealer and no one could tell me exactly what it was. The truck runs but misses at all speeds and the engine light flashes. I racked up mechanic bills to the tune of over $2000 just for them to finally tell me it can't be fixed. This has been financially devastating for our family of 6! We can not afford to go buy a new car and now I have big piece of medal in my driveway that haunts me every time I walk out the door. Dodge has been absolutely no help and I'm so fed up with this. How does a car that is 8 years old just die like that? You better believe I will never own another Dodge vehicle again! Dodge should be ashamed of their business.
    I'm so sorry. That's how I feel too...I will never buy another Dodge. Please file a report. We sold ours to A-1 salvage (it's a national company) for $1700. I would try giving them a call and seeing if you can just get a little bit of money out of it. Best wishes,
    Kris
  • evw1959evw1959 Member Posts: 11
    sorry about your experience atwoods. everyone on this message board has experienced the same pain. I spent 4000 putting a used engine in and I'm semi terrified the few times I drive my Durango now. unfortunately Chrysler Dodge is nothing but a bunch of liars. I too will never buy another dodge; I'd rather buy a Kia. wish I could tell you something helpful. Good luck.
  • shopaula69shopaula69 Member Posts: 1
    We are all in the same boat.... I had to buy an old truck just to get to work. I could just cry when I think of it.... we bought our Durango thinking we would have a nice reliable truck for a few years... boy did we get taken, all of us... and now they are having problems with newer models..... :lemon:

Dodge needs to step up to the plate. Unfortunately they don't care about what this has done to people who own these lemons... it's all about the mighty dollar, but they have seen the last of mine!
  • durangoloverdurangolover Member Posts: 2
    OMG. The exact situation just happened to my 2004 dodge durango yesterday . I was driving and there was a loud clunk and my vehicle started smoking. We had it towed to our mechanic who said there was a hole in the engine and couldn't understand because the vehicle was otherwise in very good shape externally and internally. The next day, we had it towed by a towing company, who told us this was his fourth dodge he had to tow with the same problem, blown engine over the starter. In fact, he said his boss had a dodge durango that blew when he went to start it. It is so sad, cause I had a nice looking vehicle with no payments and it is now sitting in my driveway. The cost to repair is not worth it, too run into other mechanical problems later. I plan to write a complaint of dissatisfaction to chrysler.
  • durangoloverdurangolover Member Posts: 2
    I wish I had read this post two days ago. My situation is completely identical to everything that was written. Although, I would desparately like to keep my durango, i'm afraid of what else my go wrong now that this has happened.
    Please file a complaint at (888)327-4236 safercar.com You will need your vin#. I feel like if enough of us complain they will have to do something.
    Wow, Todd's documentation is impressive.

I was sure where you filed your complaint. Dodge told me I had to file @ (888)327-4236 safercar.com This is the gov agency in charge of recalls. I also filed a complaint with dodge.
  • rickraffrickraff Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    My original post is # 184 back in Nov. 2011. After about 2 months I had a mechanic rebuild my 5.7 Hemi and it is doing fine now. It was a broken rod and it did go through the block. After the $500.00 core charge for the block and the remove and replace cost I paid about $ 4,200.00 for a newly rebuilt engine with a 3 year unlimited milage warrenty. Otherwise I would have had a beautiful flower planter in my driveway.
    Like every on else I called Chrylser and they knew nothing about this problem.
    Today I filed a complaint with Safecar (888) 327-4236
    I asked and was told as of today there are 41 complaints filed about broken rods.
    The more complaints the get filed the more of a chance we have to get compensated.
  • lacy00lacy00 Member Posts: 4
    After letting mine set for 6 months I had another mechanic ask to look at it. After doing all the tests he told me my number 3 cylinder is shot but it is repairable without replacing the entire engine. Has anyone else had these problems? I am half afraid to drop the $1,000 into it and have it break down on me again!
  • bigdaddydonbigdaddydon Member Posts: 1
    hey all, been reading about the problems with the 5.7 hemi. i too am having basically the same problems. i went to start my durango and it acted like it came up on compression but kicked back. then it acted like a dead battery. the stater had no power. so got out my battery charger and charged battery. when it started it made a scrapping noise. it still runs and is smooth running but this scrapping noise is still there. i was having problems with the starter like it was having a weak bendix and it would crash into the flexplate and not engage.but it would always start after a couple of trys. so figured i'd fix it when the weather got better. i sent a email to chrysler and they told me this is the first they have heard of the connecting rod problem. they really don't want us as loyal customers. so i went out and bought a kia. to heck with dodge. i have my durango in the paper for 3500.00 bucks. it still runs but i'm trying to get rid of it before it dies completely. there is no chance for me to get anything from them at chrysler. mine has 143,000 miles. my kia has 100,000 mile warranty. as far as i'm concerned dodge sucks. i'll never buy another newer dodge. i'll stick with my old 71 dart swinger. i know what it will do. good luck to the rest of you
  • vancouver2010vancouver2010 Member Posts: 5
    This is exactly what happened to me today. Torrential rainstorm last night. Tried to start my 2004 Durango hemi. Acted like a dead battery. Jumped the car with my wife's car. Took a while to turn over then rattling very badly.

Dodge you should be ashamed of yourself! This will be my last dodge product.
  • troutautoservtroutautoserv Member Posts: 6
    I can almost guarantee that the cause of both engines failing was the known cowl panel flaw in combination with worn intake gaskets allowing water to fill up one or more of the rear cylinders. This obviously causes a severe hydrolocking condition which either bends or snaps connecting rods. Fixed two of these last year by putting reman engines in. However I was not satisfied until I could find a reason for an otherwise good engine design to suddenly fail. Whenever I tested to see if the intake gasket was water tight, both Durangos leaked allowing water into the cylinders. This is a terribly simple problem that can be avoided by getting the $133.00 updated cowl panel which diverts water better. Along with a fresh set of intake gaskets that are not dried out and smashed flat. My sympathy to all of those out there with these 04-05 Durangos. They are just waiting to fail after a hard rain storm.
    I would also like to offer anyone in the central Pennsylvania area my services. If I get my hands on another one of these I will be making a YouTube video on where and why these fail, allowing water into the engine. Would love to document hard evidence of a design flaw to help show that a recall needs to be done to make things right.
    I'm planning to take this issue to small claims court here in British Columbia. I could use some evidence of others who experienced the same issue to prove the design flaw. I would really appreciate anyone willing to tell their story to email me at jmengineering@hotmail.com.

I'll be talking to Chrysler tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,
    John
  • twin2ctwin2c Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 5.7L HEMI Durango. Before the engine fail,i notice it was cutting back whenever it rained. Only in a hard rain will it do this.My wife drove Durango,parked it and tried to start it a few hours later and BOOOOM.That's it .
    What do you that would be a good use replacement engine?
    I personally have had luck with the Spartan remanufactured engines through Advance Auto Parts. However, I'm sure any reputable rebuilder or a quality recycled engine would do just as well. In my experience the connecting rods breaking or bending was not due to an internal engine problem or bad metallurgy. It was from water entering the cylinders via the cowl panel and then through worn intake gaskets. If possible, open the hood and pour water around the base of the windshield. If it leaks through and sits around the intake plenum you know the cowl is a problem. Next have a mechanic (or yourself depending on your abilities), remove the spark plugs and use a borescope to see if the water is leaking through the intake into the damaged cylinders. If anyone else does this test please respond with results.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2013
    You may want to touch base with thecardoc3 in the "A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood" discussion. He's a tech out in PA too.
    If you decide to repair have your mechanic check the cowl panel to see if it is leaking water ontop of the engine. Also have him check to see if the intake gaskets are allowing water to enter the cylinders. Would highly recommend replacing it with the updated cowl panel.
    Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I got it back almost 2 weeks ago. He replaced all the valve springs as one of them broke. And I believe the number 3 cylinder. I will have to see if I can get someone to look at the cowl panel for me.
  • mizmo23mizmo23 Member Posts: 2
    When I realize that I can place a weather strip on the Cowl Panel, I did. Took me no more than 10 min. It has been 2 years since I did. Haven't had a problem since. Many laugh when they saw a little lady working on that big truck.
    Chrysler Canada pretty much told me to take a hike. I swear to never buy another Dodge/Chrysler again. It will be their loss in the long run.

Dear Mr. ,

Your e-mail of March 2, 2013, addressed to Reid Bigland, has been referred to the Executive Review Committee for response and we are very sorry to learn of the engine condition currently affecting your 2004 Dodge Durango and of the pending repair expense.

Further to our telephone conversation, at this time, your vehicle has passed the limits of the warranty by more than 5 years and 125,000kms. Unfortunately, Chrysler Canada is unable to provide unlimited coverage on our products and must respectfully decline your request for assistance with the cost any required repairs.

Warranty limitations are not unusual with most consumer products. We sympathize with your inconvenience and we are sorry that we cannot honour your request.

While we regret that we cannot provide a more favourable reply, we hope you can appreciate our position.

Yours very truly,

J. Mingay (Mr.)

Top Care Manager

Chrysler Canada Inc.
    Mizmo23, care to share where the cowl panel is and what type of weather strip you used? I am sure I can do this myself if I know where to place it and what type of strip you used. Thanks!
  • drrighteousdrrighteous Member Posts: 49
    There is an -improved- version of the plastic cowl piece that is suppose to solve the water problem.
    I don't have the part number though. I looked it up a few years ago an it was around $100 then.
  • sjerseyjimsjerseyjim Member Posts: 1
    Wow, this is exactly what happened to my 2004 Durango this past Wednesday 3/6/13. It always ran great, no prior probelms, drove it to work and then got in to leave and bang. Dodge gave me the old "its out of warranty" so there is nothing they can do. I spoke to two different reps and got the same response. They are well aware of the problem with this 5.7 Hemi but they will not do anything. I have an 99 Honda Accord with 220,000 on the motor and it runs as strong as the day I bought it.

I will never buy a Dodge again.
    Sorry to hear about your problem sjerseyjim. Mine failed just a little over a week ago. Hydrolock in the problem with these 2004 Durango hemi's. Water runs right onto the intake manifold and after the gasket dries out water gets into the cylinders. I've been talking to Chrysler and they refuse to admit the problem. Since this issue doesn't show up until the engine has a few miles on it and the gasket dries it's usually out of warranty when it fails.

The #@$%!'s from Chrysler Canada offered me employee pricing on a new vehicle. The nerve of them. I've already filed a Better Business Bureau complaint. You can also raise a complaint with the US DOT NHTSA.

US DOT NHTSA

I've done the same here in Canada with transport Canada

If eventually enough of us complain government has to step in and force Chryslers hand to fix their problem.
  • deadaim1967deadaim1967 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Durango 5.7 L Hemi 3/11/13

My Durango has had all on time oil changes and I have babied this vehicle. It always bogged down and stalled in the car wash or the rain but never died on me. I was not aware of the problems with water until yesterday when researching the net after starting my durango after it sat a couple of days in the rain out of the garage. It just sounded like it ran a cat thru the fan belt and then KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK I'm sure it has a broken rod. It is still holding oil but I'm pretty sure it is done for. 130,000 miles. I will have it looked at today by a local mechanic but Ive worked on cars enough to know what that dreaded knock is. I was in the process of getting ready to sell as I just picked up a nice used truck and had no need for the durango.....and yes you guessed it the new truck is a 05 DODGE RAM with the 5.7L HEMI :mad: I have been a MOPAR/DODGE owner since my first vehicle ( DART) 30 years ago. If Dodge doesn't make this right I'm done with them.
  • lavy1lavy1 Member Posts: 1
    Have experienced the stalling feeling for at least two years, particularly in heavy rain. It actually stalled in a car wash. Based on advice from this forum I had the cowl replaced about a month ago. Dealer had no #%!? clue what I was talking about with stalling sensation. Stalling sensation seemed to go away after new cowl installed. Last week NY-tri state area had heavy rain. Rough idle was back along with check engine light. Drove it around for a day or two and check engine light went off. This past weekend left Durango outside for one night, attempted to start on Sunday and a loud metal clanking noise came from under the hood. Based on the feedback from this forum, sounds like the Durango is toast.
  • drrighteousdrrighteous Member Posts: 49
    I see several 2nd gen Durango on Craigslist with a dead hemi.
    If I had the money I would buy these up and fix them myself. But the problem is for what you would have to invest I could only pay $1500 for the vehicle. People are trying to get what they owe which is $4, 5 and 6K out of them and it with a blown engine. Ain't gonna happen.
  • wabbitiemcwabbitiemc Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi (118,000 miles)with the same issue. It developed a misfire in #7 and when I pulled the plugs they appeared to have been hit and the gap was completely closed on both the main spark and the waste spark. Took it to a dealer they performed a compression test and a leak down test and said it was within acceptable parameters. The leak down test showed a 22% leak down. How is this acceptable? They did a fuel system cleaning and sent the vehicle home with me after paying almost $800.00. Engine light came back on within a half block of the dealership. I called and was told to drive it for awhile due to the chemicals used for the injector cleaning. I put it in to another shop yesterday since this problem has gotten worse. I now have sever oil blow by issues in the #7 cylinder and have been told that it looks like there is a chunk missing from the top edge of the piston. and of course all kinds of build up from the oil that is burning. Blow by is so bad now that it has saturated my air filter. The battle with Chrysler will begin in the morning. The shop said they have seen similar issues with the 5.7's in other models. I am now looking at having to replace the engine at a cost of almost $6500.00.
  • letsgetemletsgetem Member Posts: 2
    We can also be added to this list. Our Durango would run rough in the rain just like many of yours and then a few weeks ago it would not start. We thought we were having trouble with the starter. Had the starter checked and told it was fine. Once we put the starter back on the Durango started and ran for a few days with no problems. After a rain storm, it wouldn't start again. After a little tinkering we got it started to it to the shop. Had a little work done thought we had the problem fixed. After a couple of rainy days went out to start and it was making a horrible sound. The engine is blown.
    Please go to safercar.gov and file a complaint if this is happening to you!! From what I have gathered, it is a government site that if enough people complain on a certain issue they will investigate and hopefully force Dodge/Chrysler to do a recall. There are a lot of us and some of us are now left owing on a vehicle (and paying Full Coverage insurance) that is useless. The estimates to have them fixed it outrageous. It would be one thing if it was just a couple of us................but by the looks of things there are unfortunately many more than that. :sick:
  • letsgetemletsgetem Member Posts: 2
    Please post to let us know if you had any luck with Chrysler. I got the sap story that my vehicle is too old with too many miles and there is nothing that can be done by them. Did you file a complaint by chance on safercar.gov? It really only takes a few min. and hopefully if enough of us complain Chrysler will be forced to do something.
  • joeybagajoeybaga Member Posts: 2
    add me to the fn$$$$$ list of 2004 dodge durango engine blowups 100.200 miles and syn oil every change and now it gone!!!!
  • joeybagajoeybaga Member Posts: 2
    theres has to be someone who can take all of these cases of the 2004 dodge durango f ups i only have 100.200 miles on mine syn/ moble 1 oil every 4000 what a joke come on lemon lawyers help us out please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • steveinhbgpasteveinhbgpa Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with rough idle after rain and car washes last year. Dealer replaced plugs and inspected wires which did not fix the problem. In Oct '12 the engine had a catastrophic failure on all cylinders while driving in clear weather. Dealer took 2 days to find the problem. A valve spring broke which the dealer thinks caused a small crack at the rear of the intake manifold. I don't know if this is common, but the manifold is PLASTIC! The small crack was at a seam in the manifold. The crack caused temporary stalling every time the cowl let water leak onto the manifold. In Oct the crack gave way and caused a full system shutdown. Fortunately I didn't lock up the engine. Dealer replaced the manifold and spring and it's been good since. 136,000 so far.
  • jimtryonjimtryon Member Posts: 1
    Another sucker here. It started with what I thought was just an EGR problem about two years ago, and I replaced it. It kept dying, especially when it was raining pretty good, and I thought something was getting wet. I thought it was the starter or battery, and replaced the battery. The other day, it didn't want to start again, so I thought I guessed wrong and was going to replace the starter. Today, on the way to work, it started running real rough, and the check engine light started flashing. I pulled over, and smelled burned oil, and then saw a multicolored sheen on the wet, rainy pavement. The engine died before I got the hood up. I can start it, but it sounds like someone is inside with a hammer. The guy that towed it said it threw a rod out the driver side of the engine, by the motor mount. Two different guys said it is time for a new engine, and confirm that these 5.7's are junk. I had to finance another car, which may or may not mess up our house loan we just asked for. No choice in the matter, since I have to be able to get to work. Thanks Dodge, you lost a customer for life. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: