Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX35 Transmission Problems

rwjs60rwjs60 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2020 in INFINITI
My experience with the FX35 7 speed transmission. I just came back from a 3,500 miles trip with most of the driving on 2 lane state highways. The car was very comfortable while at cruising speed. I set the cruise control at a little over 80 and the ride was very smooth.

A few time I had to disengage cruise and slow down because of slower moving trucks. Trying to pass was an adventure. Many time I stepped on the gas paddle to pass the engine rev for a long second before the transmission got into lower gear and the car surge forward. Never felt comfortable and confident enough. A few time I had to return to behind the truck because I was not sure if I would make to pass.

I had the dealer looked at the issue before and was told nothing wrong with it. I am going to make another appointment and raise the issue again. I really don't want to have to use the manual mode all the time.

Anyone else here had similar experience?

Comments

• rwjs60rwjs60 Member Posts: 3
    Since no one responded I must be the only one. :surprise:

Anyway, after my appointment with the dealer on 7-16 and was told that there was nothing wrong, I did some more research and found out from another forum that Infiniti had indeed issued a Technical Service Bulletin concern the issue. The issue was transmission downshifting problem from 4 to 3. I made another trip to the dealer and informed them of the bulletin from Infiniti. They got the bulletin off the internet and did the procedure. I think it was a computer software update. Now they car is running like a dream.

The bulletin is ITB09-032. It affects all 2009 models with the 7 speed automatic transmission.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm glad you got that resolved and thanks for the update! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • msfurmsfur Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX I love but it has not been reliable.
    I am now looking at the FX35, but fear it won't have the comfort I am used to/looking for.
    I do like the look of the car, and want something very reliable, so, any ideas/suggestions?
  • rickydeanrickydean Member Posts: 1
    I bought a fx35 in October 2009. The 7-speed transmission shifts constantly. It gets up to 7th gear by 40 mph. When you come to a hill at 40mph it labors unless you downshift two gears to 5th. When you take you foot off the gas the transmission pulls back because it is in a higher gear then it should be. The dealer says it has the software patch that others said fixed the 3rd/4th gear. He also said others have complained to infiniti and they are working on it. Are others having this problem? Any solutions?
  • jrphilfanjrphilfan Member Posts: 6
    Yes...same issue here. Transmission flash version is current and I still hate the 7 speed programming and gear ratios. Problem does not seem to appear consistently either...some days are better than others. Only way around this (at least for me so far) is to drive it in the manual "Drive Sport" (DS) mode. At least I can shift up and down into gears that I know are more appropriate for the road and terrain. I haven't noticed too much of a hit in gas mileage when driving in DS, although it definitely isn't as good as in regular "D" drive mode or with cruise control. I really hope they figure this out. To be clear, I know that the 7 speed tranny takes some getting used to, but this seems so way off. Why aren't the G37 drivers seeing this issue? Don't they have the same 7 speed tranny????
  • dirokoldirokol Member Posts: 1
    Just came from dealership. Bought 2010 FX35 and can't get used to a new transmission. Had 2004 FX35 AWD and it was much smoother ride. New FX constantly gives me a pull back(between 30-15 mph.) when i take my foot off gas. Had to bring car to dealership to check my car. Was told that there is nothing wrong with it, and it can't be reflash since its 2010 model.
    Drives me absolutely crazy. Will go to a different dealership. :mad:
  • jbaby79jbaby79 Member Posts: 36
    I've been dealing with this problem for about a year now. I've had the tranny reflashed as well as ECM. None of these things worked. I just filed a lemon law claim in Georgia. I'll post on here what the outcome is. If Infiniti doesn't do anything about it, I'll be trading it in for an MDX.
  • aed1aed1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 G37S. The 7 speed auto transmission is driving me crazy. I have all the same complaints - jerky shifting in low gears, hesitation when accelerating. I don't like the gear ratios - it's constantly shifting. Had the same car in an 04 that was great - 5 speed auto transmission - no problems.
  • classy64classy64 Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing a lag in shifting in low gears also. I'm also experiencing a fluttering noise when I excelerate. Took it to the dealer (for the flutter) and they said it is normal. It is driving me crazy. I had a 2007 FX35 and it never made this type of noice. The mechanic said it's a differen model than the 2007 and that's just the way it is. I can't believe that Infiniti would design a luxury car that would make that kind of noise and call it normal, this car should pur like a kitten. I had a friend take a look and he said it was something in the manifold. Another friend suggests (by listening only) that the spark plugs are not firing up properly and not sending the right fuel mixture to the engine. He is going to pull the plugs this week to see if that is the problem.

Anyone else experiencing a fluttering noise. I will keep you posted on my results.
  • classy64classy64 Member Posts: 2
    Well, my friend pulled the spark plugs, gap is proper spacing, so that's not the problem. I took it back to the dealer, they still didnt find anything and said again that it is normal. I had them take me for a test drive in another 2010 FX35 and to my surprise, it too had the flutter. I also had them check the shift ratio for the lag in shifting. As far as the transmission/shifting, they said that it is a 7 gear shift which is different from the previousl FX35's (5 gears) and that it is going to take some time getting use to. He said that I should look to see if Infiniti will have a recall, and said that if they do, it will be a software patch. I sure hope enough people compalin about it that they will do something about it. I can't believe I didnt notice the noise when I took the car for a test drive before buying. :mad:
    I had all the same issues you did and I just recently won my lemon law claim on my 2009 FX35. I'll be receiving a 2010 FX35, which I already test drove and didn't have the same transmission issues.

Like you said, the more people who complain and voice their concern the faster they will try to resolve this issue.
  • plaaaaaneplaaaaane Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2010
    I've avoided auto trannys most of my life due to the feeling of them shifting, hunting, lunging and lurching. With a wife hating her '06 Highlander Ltd. seats, she got the new FX35 2WD in FL exactly 30 days ago, and we traded in my 6 speed Sentra Spec V.

I inherited the Highlander as the hauling vehicle.... what is incredibly the worst shifting vehicle I have ever driven. It's like driving a 1000 gallon barrel of water 3/4 full. Barely tolerable... see all complaints in opening sentence. Then magnify.

On the other hand, we can't even feel when the '10 FX shifts. Lucky us for once, perhaps, but she loves it and the tranny really impresses me. Drive it yourself and see how it feels. It will probably be like that the rest of its' life, and you too may really like it, but only you can tell. [PS- I thought the MDX nice too and in my opinion the seats had a comfort edge, the ride was slightly better (not as firm) but it was just too big for what we wanted, worried about eventual tranny failure and wasn't priced as well.]
  • eidaneidan Member Posts: 9
    Hi Guys,
    Any updates on this? I got a new 2010 FX35 back in May and am experiencing the same problem with my gear box. It usually happened on low speeds 2-3 gears. Yesterday it did something it didn't do before which was stuttering like it was stuck on a gear or trying to shift into a gear repeatedly.

I just cannot believe infiniti will release a transmission like that without doing some serious testing.... It's absolutely insane! This is my 3rd Infiniti since 2007. I had a 2007 FX35 and a 2008 G35. Never had any problems with them. I am so disappointed. Did I mention I took it to my dealer here in San Diego right after I got it, reported the problem, and was told this is how the car behaves... Thinking of writing a letter to Infiniti USA. Keep me updated please! Thanks.
  • dp002dp002 Member Posts: 2
    Same thing here, also in San Diego. One day if you see a gray FX35 moving like a drunk guy in San Diego, that's probably me. I took my FX35 back to the dealer with 800 miles on it, they said there was something wrong with the trans ratio, and they replaced the entire transmission...! It solved some of my previous problems, but the random shifting at low speed still exists. I also have a hard time pulling the shifting nob from park to reverse, sometimes I have to use my full strength to pull the nob, at the same time, a big 'chunk' noise will occur and the entire car will shake. All I can say is that the technicians at the dealership don't know much about these things. They only do some routine checks and can never find a problem. I called infiniti many times and finally they sent an engineer from LA. He told me that infiniti is aware of this thing and is working on a software patch. We should definitely argue on this to make the voice stronger, so they can probably work harder on this. This is so disappointing.
    Sorry to hear that DP. Its really frustrating I know. I found a technical bulletin from Infiniti ITB 09-032b that offer a gear flash upgrade or a firmware upgrade. I took mine to Kearny Mesa Infiniti, they ran the test but it came back that my gear's code/version is not under the fix :( back to square zero. We all know its there and there is a problem with it, its just a matter of time until there will be a recall, you will see. Its the same story all over again with all manufactures. Still disappointed by this...

Happy holidays to you.
  • dp002dp002 Member Posts: 2
    The nob thing is driving me' nuts. About 50% of times, I need to pull the nob very hard to move it from park to reverse. At the meanwhile the vehicle 'chunk' and shakes. They told me' that's normal. The new g37 doesn't do that with the same transmission. Anybody having the same issue?

Eidan, we should go to the dealer together next time. So they will know it's affecting lots of people.
    I don't have the problem with the knob. They know about this problem, I have no doubt. In fact, when I was there one of the service guys told me about other folks with gear issues. The problem is that the dealership cannot do anything without Infiniti North America approving anything or better yet financing cases.... It's that simple. You will see though, the recall is on its way. I want to beleve that Infiniti/ Nissan will learn from Toyota and GM mistakes. And I want to believe that the more people will complain about it, and they will. They will eventually fix it! The good news is for me at least is that it's not a safety issue, not that I am aware of it.

I have a feeling the company that manufacture the gear for Infiniti is the same company that manufacture gears for BMW. BMW has lots of issues with X5 and 5xx series, yes some gear related, 7 speed as well.
    Hi guys, it's me again. I have news. I took my 2010 FX35 for a 7500 miles service/ oil change at the dealer last week here in San Diego. I asked them to check if there is any update or bulletin for the gear and what do you know, they did! They update it for free, and I am glad to say it did fix some of the shifting issues in 3-4 gears. It is still not where I want it to be but it's bettter than what it was. There is still the slowness in response when accelerating, and some times rough shifting in gears 3-4. I did notice that it's more decisive in shifting gears and less edgy. Take yours in and see what they say. I made the mistake of not taking the computer report with the Infiniti update and/ or gear version and firmware. But I have a feeling they will know what you are talking about. So here you have it, it's not quite the gear I would expect from a $60K car but getting closer. I figured this will last me for another few months and then off to swap my lease.com or something to get rid of it...

Hope this helps.
  • whistlewingswhistlewings Member Posts: 3
    I have dealt with an array of problems with my 2009 FX35, including the lag issue and 3-4 gear rough downshift. On what basis did you win your lemon law claim? We may be heading down that road as well and would appreciate any insight.
    Hey, sorry to hear you're having issues with the FX as well. The lemon law process varies by state. I can tell you the process for GA. First you must have 3 attempts to fix the same issue or your car has to be in the shop for 30 days or more in total. At that point you can file the lemom law claim. The basis we used was the car was unsafe to operate.

Infiniti gets one more chance to fix the issue. They will have a corp tech rep ride with you and the car will go in the shop for repairs. You can file for Infiniti to repurchase or replace you car.

In our case they denied both and we went to the final step of the process which is state guided arbitration. You don't need a lawyer. Just have all your paper work together and state your case why you feel Infiniti should repurchase or replace the FX.

Let me know if you need anymore info and good luck!
    Thanks for your info...do u mind me asking what specific issues u had with the car that u felt made it a lemon? We have had three attempts to fix the same prob...it gets fixed then a couple months go by before it fails again. In addition we have had five other visits to address other problems.
    Eight or nine visits to the dealer in 21 months, 100 miles of driving round trip each time...so we are mentally done and want resolution. What is the harm in using an attorney if those fees are negotiated separately to be paid for by Infiniti as part of the settlement...if we don't win the case we don't owe the lawyer anything...any advice? Also, were u given a choice to receive monetary replacement of the purchase price or only the new car? How long was the legal process and how long to get your new vehicle? Thanks!
    Trust me when I say we felt the same way you did. I wanted to drive the FX off the highway at one point!

I experienced exactly the same things you did. I was one of the first people to notice the lag in gears shifts. My FX was the first to get the reflash done at my local dealership. After a couple of months, it felt like the software reflash did not take and the shifts started to lag again. Mind you the first time I took it in was because I almost hit the car in front of me because the transmission suddenly jerked into gear. During the second visit to the dealer they actually had a tech from Japan that was in the area stop in and take a look. They then updated the engine mgmt software, which helped for some time and then returned back to lagging shifts.

It's up to you on the attorney, if they don't collect a fee up front then go for it. Just find one that deals with these types of cases.

The time frame for the whole process was about 6 months. The actual arbitration took place in the state office of consumer affairs and that time line was about 2 weeks before we got an answer. Picking out and getting the new car took about 2-3 weeks.

When you start the paper work you have a choice between repurchase or replacement of car. It made more sense for me financially to get a replacement than buying a totally different car. The 2010 has been great to drive for the past 10K miles.

Feel free to post on here of you need any other help. I do have some corp contacts at Infiniti's headquarters in TN if you need it.
    Thanks, I'll let you know if we have any other questions...I heard some 2010 models still have the same tranny issue and can't be reflashed b/c the TSB was for 2009 only...that's why we aren't sure if it comes down to a lemon law claim if we would even want a 2010 model...have you had any other issues with your new car that's required warranty repairs?
    I am with 2010, and I had mine reprogrammed a month ago. It is much better now, but still no where close to where a normal gear should be. I dont really consider Lemon because I personally think it wont work with this gear issue. Its not a safety issue, and there is no way they will take my car for 3 weeks or whatever the amount it. I am in CA by the way. I personally intend to swap the lease in 2-3 months on one of these Swapmylease.com ... Hope this helps.
  • vgilesvgiles Member Posts: 5
    October 25, 2011

Thanks for letting me know about the Inifiniti FX35 Transmission problems. 05 Infiniti FX35, 161,000 miles and transmission is gone. $4,261.00 to rebuild, seals, rubber seals, gears
    gone. 1st it was the Driver's Seat motor went out twice, had to contact the corporate office in order for them to pay and when they did they only paid for part ($1500). When is the recall coming. I paid 48K for this card and transmission gone already. Had a 1990 toyota corolla brand new (20yrs) 380,000 miles never had a transmission problem. Not Happy. Sending letter to Corporate HQ.
    Cheryl:
    I feel for you. It is a problem with this transmission. I have a 2005 and my
    transmission went out. It is now in the shop. Been in the shop for 2wks. I had to wait for a part (vaul body part) from California, been waiting for a week and it finally came in today AAMCO says it is a demand for this part for the Infinity FX35. So that tells me that 1 Infinity knows now they have a problem and 2 they had to get that part from Japan because of the demand. My car should be ready today. Cost $4500.00. It is good that you put your complaints on Edmunds.com but send your complaints to Nissan of America, TN and contact the National Transporation and Safety Administration, WDC. They told me that the consumer needs to report this problem on the car. The more consumers report to them, then this will car will have to be recalled to fix this problem. I am writing my letter to Nissan, NTSA with my bill.
  • cheryl57cheryl57 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    HELP!!! Can any one give me some information about a possible fix for the transmission problems for the 2010 Infinity FX 35? I have read that they have a reflash for the 09 but not the 2010. My dealer, Holman Infinity, here in South Jersey, does not have a clue. They claim it's the characteristic of the car and deny there is even a problem. So, I guess I'm on my own to find a fix so I won't feel like I want to drive this piece of CRAP car off a cliff!!! I strongly feel that the car is not safe to drive the way it is now. Can't merge into traffic or pass without having a problem with the car not gaining enough speed. Then when I am coming to a stop it shoots forward. I honestly HATE this car.
  • cheryl57cheryl57 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the advice. I will contact both Nissan and NTSA and let you know what happens.
    Can you please post contact info and Infiniti/Nissan? I am just about doen with mine, my gear is still weird after all the updates I have been going through. I have been really busy running my business so I have had zero time sitting down and writing them. I cannot wait to get rid of this car! What a nightmare it has been for me....
    Write your complaint to: Nissan North America, Inc, PO Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068
    Attn: Consumer Affairs. Also, write to National Highway Transporation Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, West Bldg, WDC 20590. The more complaints the better is for a recall on this transmission. I had to pay 4261.00 versus dearl 5500.00 to get my transmission fixed. I have wrote my letter to NISSAN to get my money back and Natl Highway Transporation Safety Admin for their engineers to investigate this problem with NISSAN. Per NHTSA, this car has the same engine that the Nissan Maximum and Altima has and there has been problems with the transmission. The more people complain to these two companies better for a recall.
  • drojtdrojt Member Posts: 10
    After reading all of the threads,I had to chime in. I've the same issues with a 2011 FX35 that I purchased 2 months ago. My FX (like most of yours) tranny consistently upshifts into 7 gear by 38-40 mph. At cruising speeds, it has a very serious lag for downshifting which is a major safety issue for me as I commute 80 miles a day (mostly highway). I took mine to the the dealership and they monitored it with the vehicle connected to a laptop and me driving. Per 6 test runs, the vehicle tranny was in 7th gear by 38 mph as I reported. To no avail, the service tech flashed the tranny in an effort to fix it but I was informed two days ago that the issue is not resolved and that they were contacting cooperate for a solution. Had I known this before hand (shame on me for not researching a tad bit more..shame on Infiniti for incorporating such a horrid transmission algorithm), the FX (as great as it looks) would have stayed at the dealership. I will mention that my dealership tested 2 additional 2012's with the same issue. I am very disappointed with this vehicle thus far. I'm walking... better yet running back to BMW if this issue is not resolved soonest. My lesson learned...before I spend 45K for another vehicle, it will be throughly tested! Good luck to us all! ;)
    Sounds like you bought it, you are lucky, I am stuck in a lease. I still have 17 months to go. I feel bad dropping it off at one of these lease trader websites, since I don't want to make it someone else's problem.

I am shocked you are saying the 2012 models are having the same issues. You might thing they will get the feedback from customers in the past 2 years.

Don't get a BMW (X5) since they are using the same gear. Not only that, they had numerous recalls on fuel pumps and other reliability issues.

I think my next choice will be the new Lexus GS, RX or Audi A6.

Let me know if you are able to get Infiniti to take it back and what you did. I am still trying to find the time to sit down and write them a letter to see how good their customer service is. I have been putting 60-70 hours a week lately with the business. It has been quite hectic.
    All Infiniti FX35 owners with Transmission Problems. Please report your problems to Nissan of Americia, Nashville TN and the Nationall Highway Transporation Safety Administration, WDC. The more complaints they get the better for a recall on this vehicle.

I love my Infiniti FX35 to death, looks good only on the outside. A waste of 48K.
    Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I strongly suggest as others have to write letters to Infiniti Corp office in TN. If they do not help, file a lemon law case within your respective states. This will force them to deal with the issue. So far the 2nd FX (2010) that I received thru the lemon law case has been great. I really feel it is a hit or miss with the programming of these 7spd transmissions.

The real shame in this situation is that there is a fix but Infiniti will not put it out. I spoke to a regional master tech and he informed me that they can reprogam the transmission's shift points but since it would affect MPG numbers they will release it. The engineers/tech can suggest improvements but the final call to release them is up to Corp office.

Good luck to everyone dealing with this annoying issue!
  • mikedemikede Member Posts: 2
    Original owner of a 2003 FX35 AWD with 112,000 miles on it - at around 90,000 miles, I started having this problem and have taken my FX35 back to the dealer repeatedly and they say they can't figure out the problem. the dealer has even called a supersleuth from Infiniti in and still nothing.

the problem: periodically, when I pull out of a diagonal parking stall in reverse and go to shift to drive - nothing for about 5 to 10 seconds. I can touch the accelerator and rev up the motor - nothing only the engine noises. It is like being in neutral and then it catches. It only happens every once in awhile and mainly at low grades not level. More of an annoyance then a danger

Once, I parked on a steep grade facing downhill and put the transmission in PARK, turned the car off and took my foot off the brake. The car shot forward like a rocketship - luckily there was nothing or nobody in front of me and I was able to stop

Has anyone else experienced anything simialr?
  • cbr_dudecbr_dude Member Posts: 5
    Can I ask what you did with the vehicle. Did the VIN end in 0819?
    My VIN ends in 5748 but it doesn't matter. The problem is the transmission, big time. I recommend that you right a letter to Nissian Corp and the U.S. Dept. of Transportation Consumer Affairs and put in a complaint about this problem. I have done both. I couldn't back up at all especially when the car's engine was warm. When it was cold I had no problem. Then it got to a point it wouldn't move at all. 1st I took it to my Infiniti dealer and they advised me it was a transmission problem cost $5500.00, I said no thanks advised the car is a 2005 and the transmission should not have gone bad. I took the car to AAMCO paid 4,200.00 for a rebuilt transmission. AAMCO said the gaskets, belts all were worn out because of improper parts. Contact Nissian HQ for rembursement they refused, they excuse was a transmission only last for 3 yrs. I told them in that case your Infiniti FX35 has a transmission that only last 3yrs. My car cost me 48K and have a transmission got out with only 161K miles is crap. Please right your letters to Nissian HQ and USDOT Consumer Affairs they are the ones who gets the attention of this problem. The more letters to these places the more they are aware of this problem then they will have to correct this problem and possible remeburse $. It's good to tell Edmunds.com but you need to let the Nissian and USDOT so they can no that Nissian is putting out an auto that is faultey. Someone is going to be in a serious accident because of this car/transmission. Don't get me wrong I Love my FX35. I paid the 4200 for the transmission, and I still have it.
    Who wants to know and why?
    Relax, no one is stalking you! I bought a used FX with that last four VIN. Previous Owner lives in Leesburg Virginia. Dumped the vehcile for what ever reason. Bought at Infiniti of Tysons Corner in Sept 2011 with 210 miles on it. Just trying to get to the bottom of the transmission issues. It does shift through all 7 gears pretty fast and at low speed. I know the records were scrubed that's why it does not show up as a lemon if it was a buy back! :lemon:
    No worries CBR, I had to check. Mine ends with 1968. I still have the car, so it cannot be me. I went to the dealer last week for a scheduled service, I met the guy who sold me the car, who is also the sales manager, and a good friend. I told him the situation with the car, and how unhappy I am with it. He suggested I will drive a new 2012 model to see if it is still there. The 2012 model was a little bit smoother but I am afraid it wasn't different to the point of me noticing it or trading it. In short, it did not blew me away. He was really trying to help and offered to trade me the 2012 with the one I have. Since the gear was not any different with the exception of gear 2-3 change stuttering I have on mine, I refused.

He told me the FX37, yes the FX the US market should have gotten all along like any where else in the world, will be out on May-Jun this year, so I will be stopping by to test drive it. I have the feeling the FX37 will be a game changer. It is my opinion that the FX35 "mutation" or "patch" we have here in the US due to CAFE standards was no good from the beginning! I will update soon after test driving the FX37. Stay tuned.
    I came from a 12 year old Suburban with a 4Spd Auto trans. Basically a pick up truck with two more rows of seats! At the end nothing worked on it. Typical american built piece of crap! It was paid for so I was really not complaining too much. It did the job up til the end. When the A/C went it was time for it to go! I'm susprised at what I got for it. The Infiniti is a whole different class of vehicle! Not that I have buyers remorse, but the FX has too much stuff on it. I'm at the totally different end of the spectrum now. From real basic truck ride to ultra plush everything. When I bought the Chevy nobody worried about the cost of a gallon of fuel. I was not I can tell you that much. The 2011 Infiniti had less than 5K on it when I bought it. Someone took a serious hit on the cost or a very short, short lease any way you look at it someone took a hit. I had the service records pulled and nothing came up except an oil change at 3800 miles at the selling dealer. I'm told the records can be scrubed very easy. Almost all the new vehicles out have more gears than Carter has liver pills to get the numbers up and increase economy without harming performance, maybe? With that comes issues that have to worked through. I do agree that it does shift through the gears pretty fast and not at the right time either. My commute is a whopping 8 miles one way so I'm not really wrapped around the axle totally on the deal. I can live with it. I may end up giving the FX to my wife and getting something bigger with less frills on it.
    Well I think I'm going to take the FX in to Infiniti. Something is very wrong. Several times already the transmission has made a horrible sound when it down shifts. The other day was the worst. It lagged so bad I thought someone had hit me from behind when it caught. Most of the time it does it when I take my foot off the pedal and coast and apply the pedal again. I get that lag then the thunk noise. Almost like it slips and catches.
  • mikedemikede Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    i posted about my transmission problem in post #40 - well, last month i'm driving on the freeway and go to take the next exit when i heard a loud boom in my rear end (not gas, not that rear end). it was so loud that i thought i had been hit. looked around and nobody was acting suspicious. called the dealer and they said bring it in again. well, i got lucky because it registered on the car's computer and they were able to diagnose it as transmission valve body failure. after years of having a problem and having the dealer look at me like i'm loco - it is fixed. the reason for this post is #47 cbr dude - have the dealer look at the transmission valve body as the culprit
  • 2much2much2much2much Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Does anyone know of a year make of the FX that doesn't have a problem? I am doing homework on this SUV and ran across these posts about the transmissions. Any Good results anyone? Thanks.
    It really is hit or miss with the transmission issue with model years 2009-2010. My 2010 has been smooth for the 60K miles we have driven it. I think in 2011 and up the programming has been fixed.

You can check out infinitscene (FX owners forum). Good group of people who will let you know their experience with the FX.
  • 2much2much2much2much Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for info. It's so tempting thus SUV. So beautiful but is it worth the risk.. Ugh. I've always owned Honda & Toyota & they where good, all of them. But I don't care for the look if the CRV or Rav. I will check out Infinitescene, thanks a bunch.
  • LovemyFXLovemyFX Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2005 FX35. Transmission was replaced with a re built trans (I think) in 2012, by Infiniti, at 137k. At 202k, in 2020, Nissan Dealer informed me that the TCM needed to be replaced. They had the car for 3 weeks. Now when I drive, the trans seems to be shifting into the higher gear around 62, but something also seems to happen around 72 or so. Previous to the TCM replacement shifting seemed good. Now my question: Is there are difference in how the TCM is programmed for a 5speed vs a 7speed?