Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nitrogen in the tires

johnscjohnsc Member Posts: 14
edited October 2014 in Honda
My 09 CRV came with nitrogen in the tires as part of the dealer package. The sales person mentioned better gas mileage, improved handling, pressure not fluxuating, and it shouldn’t be necessary to add more nitrogen.

Anyone notice a difference?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I got nitrogen in my '99 Quest tires when it was new.

Also in my new '82 Tercel, and my new '74 Jeep CJ-5.

Not quite 100% nitrogen though, more like 78%. :-)

It it's free, ok. I wouldn't pay for it. TPMS lights probably negate some of the advantage, since new cars will trigger the light when a tire gets low pressure. It sounds like the only advantage may be fewer trips to the air hose.

More in this thread:

Nitrogen in the tires
  • johnscjohnsc Member Posts: 14
    Thanks but the info in that thread is not very useful. I also read the test by simply leaving two cars parked for a year to see which tire leaked more air or nitrogen.

I'm more intrersted in people who have tried both with the CRV who would notice a 1 mph difference.

On my first tank of gas I got 28.9 mpg, which is mostly 40-55 mph, several stop signs, traffic lights, and short trips, and parking lots, and AC. It should go up with a fresh fuel.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I have a bridge for sale.....

The thread Steve mentioned is just as applicable to the CR-V as to any other vehicle on the road.

It is just a gimmik on part of my company and others whol make nitrogen out of the air.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The sales person mentioned better gas mileage, improved handling, pressure not fluxuating, and it shouldn’t be necessary to add more nitrogen.

The sales person may have mentioned better mileage, improved handling and uniformity of pressure but he/she surely cannot back any of that up. Unless you're into high performance racing or flying an airplane, N2 doesn't even rise to the level of making a marginal difference in an ordinary passenger vehicle.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • johnscjohnsc Member Posts: 14
    The sales person may have mentioned better mileage, improved handling and uniformity of pressure but he/she surely cannot back any of that up. Unless you're into high performance racing or flying an airplane, N2 doesn't even rise to the level of making a marginal difference in an ordinary passenger vehicle.

It would be more helpful if you could back up your claims with some kind of reliable testing. I think everyone realized that the sales person wasn't reliable, which is why I started the thread.

Sorry, but you people seem condecending and egotistical. I think I have wasted enough time here. later
    That's just it - there's no evidence that nitrogen in the tires helps any. At least not in the cars we drive.

Here's an even snarkier commentary than the CR one:

Is it better to fill your tires with nitrogen instead of air? (The Straight Dope).

It's a profit center, right up there with mop & glow and VIN etching.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    if you could back up your claims

Actually, no, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim of improved mileage etc. resulting from N2. It makes little sense from a chemistry/physics perspective because

(a) air is already 79% nitrogen,

(b) the atomic weight of nitrogen differs very little from that of oxygen (the other major component of air),

(c) speed of sound in N2 is virtually the same as that in ordinary air [this relates to your pressure argument]

and (d) the thermal conductivity of nitrogen differs little from that of air

Those very slight differences in physical properties can make a significant difference ONLY under extreme conditions. One place where nitrogen can make a difference is in water content but that is not an intrinsic property of nitrogen. Rather, the process of separating nitrogen from air removes a lot of the water content. In any case, that will not have much impact on performance though it may inhibit the corrosion of ferrous metals.

Finally, have a look at the links provided by Steve for more details.

There is nothing condescending or egotistical about any of this. We're just looking at physical characteristics and properties.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Sneakers says you're not really going to notice any changes running nitrogen in your tires. But he also says he thinks there's something to be said for running nitrogen in your tires.

Jul 15, 2009 - Nitrogen Long Term Test (AlternateRoute)

(the compressor is behind the 99+ sign).
  • crown5crown5 Member Posts: 24
    Depends on temperature fluctuations where you live.
    Rule of thumb is one psi drop per ten degrees temp. change.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    I agreed with our host saying "air is already 79% nitrogen".
    I read an article somewhere if you want 100% pure nitrogen inside your tires. You need to deflate and inflate with pure nitrogen a few times in order to get pure 100%.
    I doubt they actually do that.
    Just use the air hose from your local gas station. $.50 air refill for 4 tires is cheaper than $2 per tires for nitrogen. Save your $.
    It's nice living in a place where the air is still free. :shades:
  • crown5crown5 Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2010
    Having had tires inflated with nitrogen by dealer for an extra 50$
    Was not worth it went back three times as temperature decreased.
    Problem I see with it not being dry nitrogen, it behave same as air; goes down with temperature.
    After getting oil change and usual multi checkup, I realize it was in the shop for an hour before it was checked so now, I return home with under inflated tires.
    Advice, dont get nitrogen even if you never check your tires, I did not get my money's worth and still have to check them as often as required to maintain tire warranty
    Excellent!
  • versatile1versatile1 Member Posts: 8
    This sure is a well documented statement on air behaviour in tires.
    DEals with scientific aspect which is actally the point of decisive opinion making.
  • versatile1versatile1 Member Posts: 8
    Indeed, pressure does vary more so under seasonal temperature changes in northern areas.
    I kept bugging my dealer to check pressures so they took the avenue of letting the car sit inside for an hour to increase pressure just to get their point across.
    I still check tire pressure once a month and top them up with air if needed.
    I also get optimum handling and as good or better than rated fuel economy.
This discussion has been closed.