Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Gold Plus Extended Warranty -- worth it?

Comments

• koutamkoutam Member Posts: 4
    guys
    the lowest i found was 7/70000 for 700...
    i am low mileage driver and i took the 100$ deductaible offer...

call the Mastria Subaru guys...they have a something going on this month...you can negotiate the price too...
    pay in 10 payments by credit card interest free
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Can these plans (Mastria ) be sold to customers in PA---heard PA was a MSRP state and out of state purchsases may only be sold at MSRP..phooey I hope. How would the process work if you could sell....do we just call?
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Can these plans (Mastria ) be sold to customers in PA---heard PA was a MSRP state and out of state purchsases may only be sold at MSRP..phooey I hope.

My Mom recently bought a Subaru in PA. She showed the dealer's finance guy Mastria's price and they eventually matched it (plus sales tax).
  • carl441carl441 Member Posts: 5
    I would like to see a detail list of the various options for Subaru's Extended Warranty with all the year, mileage and deductible variables. When I call Subaru's 800 number and ask for the details, they tell me to contact the dealer. I don't want to call the dealer and listen to the pitch. I just want the facts ma'am!
    Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?
    When I go to checkbook.org (carbargains.com) they list Roto Subaru Arlington Heights, IL as selling Subaru Warranties at $25 over invoice. I guess that I'd like to know retail and invoice prices on extended warranties. Anyone?.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I would like to see a detail list of the various options for Subaru's Extended Warranty with all the year, mileage and deductible variables.

http://www.subaru.com/finance-center/added-security-plans.html
    https://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/security/sas_brochure.pdf

There are three deductible variables: $100, $50, $0

The lengths are (from in-service date / zero miles):
    3/45,000
    4/60,000
    5/60,000
    6/60,000
    6/80,000
    7/70,000
    5/100,000
    6/100,000
    7/100,000
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    SOA (Subaru of America) does not sell extended warranty directly to consumers.. You have to buy it from anu authorized Subaru dealer and it does not have to be from the dealer, where you bought the car.
    As indicated earlier on these pages, Mastria Subaru has the best deal (in my opinion).
    I've got one for 7 years 100 K for my 2010 XT Forester.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I wish they'd change that. But the dealer lobby is powerful, and they actually make money on those, unlike Subaru.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    edited October 2010
    "... recently bought a Subaru in PA... showed the dealer's finance guy Mastria's price and they eventually matched it (plus sales tax)."

I should have given my local dealer the same opportunity, for the sake of the relationship. But I, too, would have had to pay our state's 6% sales tax, which Mastria avoids with their out-of-state sales.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    I recently bought the 5/100K for my Outback. I called Don because earlier posts here on Edmunds were very positive and confirmed that he grew up two houses away from my grandparents and that I went to elementary school with his sister for 8 years - small world. Next time I drive the 500 miles back to MA to see my folks, I plan to stop in to Mastria and say Hi, check them out for service and take a look at the new Forester engine.

Not only did I get an extended warranty at a great price, but I reconnected with my distant past.

My only regret is that we did not buy the extended warranty for my wife's Forester before its basic warranty expired last year.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Hey, Don! I should get some sort of "credit" or commission, or something, for the sales of extended warranties to those on this board. It was my original email a year or so ago that suggested you guys had the best prices for the extended warranty!

Besides, I have purchased 5 cars past few years from your facility, all with extended warranties, including three Subarus. Most recent one was 2011 Outback, purchased Oct 1 this year.
    On to a new one already?! How many miles did you have on the Forester (didn't you have an '09?) when you purchased the Outback?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    With car sales depressed as such, I think Don (or any Dealer for that matter) is entitled to make some profit, in my opinion.
    Don should be rewarded for his innovative sales approach .. I am sure SOA (Subaru of America) is breathing on his neck because, as far as I know, Dealers are not allowed to "advertise" these warranties....
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    sorry but while $1500 might be a good price for zero ded 7/100K for a subbie....I can get a Toyota Camry LE for less and the warranty is only for $695. So unless the subbie starts selling for about $800 less, I have to go with T. Thanks All.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    A Camry really isn't in the same class as an AWD Subaru. A Camry should be compared with a Malibu or an Accord, while a Forester would be compared with a CR-V or a RAV4, for example. Having a cheaper warranty won't be of much consolation if you really needed AWD. And Toyota quality has slipped considerably below Subaru and Honda recently. Ask anyone who has owned Camries for the past 25 years what they think of the current version.
    If you are shopping for a car based on the cost of the warranty you may want to look somewhere else than these pages.

You should consider KIA Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe (if price is that important) as those would be compatible to Forester.

Toyota, on advise from their legal teams, is an over-transparent company nowadays, and will have more frequent recalls than any other brand to avoid any (possible) future fines by NHTSA.
  • kneedoctorkneedoctor Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    We just bought an extended warranty for our new Subie Outback Sport and used Don at Mastria Subaru. He was very knowledgeable, polite and gave us a WAY better deal than our dealer was going to give us. (we saved $1200.00 by going with Mastria!) Don handled everything right over the phone, we recieved our paperwork in three days and got our confirmation from Subaru. THANKS DON !
    Congrats. :shades:
  • kmbaerkmbaer Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone have Don's contact info? e-mail or phone would work.
    Thanks!
    Contact info...
    Don Arsenault
    Mastria Subaru
    1255 New State Hwy
    Raynham MA 02767
    888-848-4309
    http://www.mastriasubaru.com/index.htm
  • RBlakeNYCRBlakeNYC Member Posts: 5
    A friend bought a n '11 forester yesterday in CT and paid about $1500 for 7yr /100k extended warranty. I am assuming it is gold but don't know if there is a deductible.

Question 1: Can you back out of the warranty within a certain # of days ?

Question 2: Should she worry about angering the dealership - where she is likely to get service?

Advice appreciated.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If that's the Added Security Gold 7/100k then it's not a bad price. A little insight into the "little" things I had fixed during my 100k with my 05 LGT.

O2 Sensor
    Turbo
    Piston (ringland failure)
    a few bearings
    Eventually they put a new shortblock in at 97k miles because the first piston job was done incorrectly by a dealer.

So for me, that extended warranty really paid off. The dealer I dealt with for my last few repairs was not my selling dealer nor the place where I bought my warranty. They still gave me loaners and were great to deal with.

I just bought my '11 STi and will likely buy the Added security Gold 7/100k warranty before I hit 3/36k on the car.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
    As far as I know, as long as the warranty is underwritten by SOA, you can cancel anytime with full refund. I have asked the same question, when I took my 7/100,000 warranty and the above was the Subaru's response.
    Like the previous poster noted, it's a pretty good price if indeed it is a genuine Subaru warranty!

If it is not, I am not sure, if you can cancel it with refund. Read the find print or check with F&I dept. at that dealership.
    Good deal, congrats.

Our 3 years of roadside assistance is about to expire, and I got an offer to renew that, and the cost of that alone was about $80/year. So 4 years would run ~$320.

That means the warranty portion by itself only cost you $500 or so!
  • ifontaineifontaine Member Posts: 24
    I just finished my deal with Joe @ Roto literally 10 minutes ago. I was literally on the phone for less than 5 minutes to give him my VIN, mileage, and CC info and it's all done. I will have the paperwork early next week.

I have a 2010 Outback with 34,267 miles and was looking for the 5yr/100K with $0 or $50 deductible. I had been emailing various dealers around town and the country and found (not surprisingly) VERY different results. I live in Columbus, Ohio.

Local Dealer that I bought from 1.5 yrs ago quoted me $1397 for the $50 option, and $1520 for the $0.

Don @ Mastria: $1195 for the $50 and $1295 for the $0

James @ Autonation: $1650 for the $50 and $1850 for the $0 (he was kind of a jerk when I questioned why his was so much more expensive than even the next highest quote)

Joe @ Roto: $922 for the $50 and $1045 for the $0.

Another local dealer wouldn't even quote me when I asked if he could do $1100 for the $0 option saying "can't do it below his cost".

I found both Joe and Don to be EXTREMELY responsive, polite and considerate.

Hope that helps someone going forward.
    Cool. Did you go $50 or $0 deduct?
  • garygglgaryggl Member Posts: 12
    I guess I made a "post message" mistake. I added too much contact info concerning my extended warranty dealership. So, I am reposting just for fun. Ifontaine (#79) is right on the mark...both Don and Joe are customer-oriented and easy to work with. I just received a better deal (by $200) from Joe. See original post below:

I just had a great experience with the following Subaru Dealership:

Roto Subaru
    Arlington Heights, IL

I asked for a 7yr/70k $0 deductible extended warranty and paid $835 for my 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5x Premium. That was $200 less than what the "Mastria Subaru" offered. I found this dealership through "Washington Checkbook.org". I was done with whole transaction in 10 minutes...Joe was top notch.

Best Regards, glyttek
    I went with the $50 just because of the cash outlay. Psychologically, I wanted to be down there. I'm ok with the deductible, and I'm banking on the fact that I won't need it more than three times which essentially is the breakeven point.

I would highly recommend Don or Joe. Both were great to deal with and very low pressure. I have read others who have had similar experiences with both gentlemen. It doesn't seem that you could go wrong either way.
    I would have made the same call. I bet the average person uses it maybe once, maybe twice.

If you need it 3 times, time to trade the car. At least you can tell the buyer it's still under warranty. ;)
  • danballdanball Member Posts: 1
    After my 2009 Forester Turbo blew an engine at 30,000 miles, I asked for and received a gold plan warranty. Is this largesse on the part of Subaru USA or just an attempt to shut me up. I've taken many surveys that Subaru has sent me and told it as it was. Funny, no reaction. I was never told what the problem was ( although the dealership sent the engine back to Japan ) and in a kind of limbo as far as what has been done for other owners who have had the same problem. Different material for the bearings is what I hear. Any thoughts by anyone?
    After hearing these and other horror stories I also signed up for Subaru Gold Extended Warranty on my 2010 Subaru XT.
    Most of us would really want to know what led to this blow out! Has there been any indications or have they claimed certain miss-use or missed services by the Dealer? This, for the sake of others, would be worth pursuing with the Dealer as to the cause, please!
    They haven't been hush-hush about it, in fact the bearing issue was well documented. There were few Foresters, more WRXs. I had the range of VINs if you're curious to see if yours falls in that range.

They sent letters to affected owners with early builds, and even had a stop-sale (a big deal in the car biz). They inspected engines and performed oil analysis on them, replaced bad ones, then extended their coverage on all the potentially affected engines (even ones running well).

Indeed, it was a batch of crankshaft bearings, just like you experienced.

If you got a new engine you can be sure they would have the revised bearings part #, and the warranty should offer piece of mind.

So no worries, enjoy your Subie. :shades:
    Original batch of bad bearings fell in the VIN range begins with 9*700001 and ends with 9*700139.

Does your VIN fall within that range?

The recall may have been expanded, that information I got way back in 2009.
    Mine ends with 754361 - so, I feel safer now!
    But I do have the Gold Warranty exactly for those reasons that were on these pages elsewhere....
    We have the Gold as well.

I just don't worry about it. All paid with Subaru Bucks, too, from my Chase Subaru card. So not a penny out of my pocket.
  • yurpilotspeaknyurpilotspeakn Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Gold Plus extended warranty from Don at Mastria. He was great to deal with, handled everything perfectly and was less expensive than anyone else I checked with. (and believe me, I checked ). He had the 7 year 70 K at $849 , though I went with the 7 year 100k for $1275.
    Hey Don, if you read this, you should post your contact info here!
    edited June 2011
    What deductible level was included in the warranty prices you cited above? And, for which year and model?
  • legacy2011legacy2011 Member Posts: 1
    Just got the 7 years or 70,000 miles gold plus warranty with zero deductible from Roto Subaru for $835. Anyone interested in the warranty should shoot them an email and ask them for a quote. Below I listed their information. Joe will respond very quickly to your email.

Joe Gingras
    Business Manager
    Roto Subaru Mazda Inc.
    847-255-5700 ext 290
    My wife apparently went on an off-road expedition and didn't tell me, but...

Dealer had to replace a front end link and some bushings in the front suspension. They said it would not have been covered by the factory warranty (I think she hit a large pothole), but because we had the Gold warranty, the grand total for the repair?

$0.

:shades:
    That's odd, isn't it?

I mean, when describing the SAS Gold to me, I was told that it was "basically the same as the original factory warranty", minuse the trim, molding, wear and tear, etc.

If it's covered under the SAS Gold plan, I would think it would have been covered under the original factory warranty as well.

Anyway, glad it was a $0 charge!
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess there is good in that warranty after all. AJ, you're outside the factory warranty for those parts anyway, right? I want to say you purchased that '09 in March of '08? I can't believe that much time has passed!

I dunno, maybe I should spring for one (w/ Subaru Bucks!). I'd probably be looking at a 6/100 as the best fit.

The last time I went off-roading in mine, I split a sidewall on a tire. My wife was not pleased.... :blush:
    The odd thing is that no, we're not at 36k miles yet, nor is it 3 years old.

I think it should not have been covered at all, since technically it was damaged, not faulty, but they covered it out of good will because I'm a Gold customer.

At least that's what I'd like to believe.

They gave her a free loaner, too. A Kia Rio. Last time we were there (also for a Gold warranty claim) they gave us a Benz C240 4Matic wagon! Seriously.

My dealer treats Gold customers well. :shades:

No promises that you'll get the same service - my wife is attractive and that probably didn't hurt! LOL
  • buckdbuckd Member Posts: 1
    Your grand total for the repair was not $0. The grand total is what ever you paid for the Gold warranty.
    I had the Gold on a 2001 and the only repair that fell under that warranty was a tie rod replacement. I didn't save the hundred or so the repair would have cost. It cost me $700 plus I paid for the warranty.
    Your costs for repairs under these extended warranties is: Warranty Cost divided by the number of repairs.
    IMHO
    I paid for the Gold warranty with Subaru Bucks from my Chase Subaru credit card, so $0 out of pocket.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2012
    There's an opportunity cost to earning Subaru Bucks. You give up cashback on other CCs to get the Subaru Bucks.

End result: You [indirectly] paid for the warranty.

P.S. Granted, it's hard to find a CC with across the board 3% rewards.
    Exactly. I usually get 1% on most stuff, so you're still getting 67% of it for "free".
  • forester12forester12 Member Posts: 1
    A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new Forester and bought the Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty from Joe Gingras of Roto Subaru Mazda Inc.
    (847-255-5700 ext 290). He is very professional and prompt, and the warranty is Genuine Subaru warranty (my dealer tried to sell me some inferior and overpriced warranty called "platinum" - Subaru does not sell such a warranty).
    The warranty for 7 years/70,000 miles with $0 deductible cost $835.
    Wow, that's a really fantastic price! Nicely done! :shades:
    I didn't end up getting my warranty from Joe, but during my research, I found him to be a very amicable and low pressure guy. I would have had no problem doing business with him. Lots of good press for him.
  • ram78ram78 Member Posts: 1
    Does it cover the tires/rims, dunts & dings on your car for that price.