Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Hybrid System Problems

Comments

• karen80karen80 Member Posts: 5
    Toyota has an active recall on the inverter so you should not be charged a DIME!!! I live in Arlington, VA, and I use the Toyota dealership in the Cherrydale neighborhood. They told me I had a "crack in my air box" that needed to be replaced at the same time my inverter failed. It seems like most people are getting told that it is their inverter and "something else" just to run up the cost. You should have gotten the recall notice in the mail at the end of July, maybe it is sitting around in a stack of junk mail. Either way, your dealer is well aware of it and should have told you up front.
  • irina2irina2 Member Posts: 23
    I just want to clarify something about the reacall notice... the one I got said "We will send you another notification when the replacement parts are ready and preparations are complete"...all in red. (There was a CODE 104 in the bottom left hand corner). Are you all talking about this initial notice, or did you get some 2nd notice sent already?
  • socallrsocallr Member Posts: 2
    I spoke with an agent at the Nat'l Customer Care center when I was dealing with my '06 HH a few weeks ago. What she told my (summarized) is this: Toyota has identified the IPM--the part identified in the recall notice--as the reason for the inverter assemblies to fail. To replace that IPM, Toyota must finish designing the new piece, manufacturing it in bulk and distributing it to dealers. Toyota expects the FIRST of these newly-designed parts to hit the dealerships in JANUARY, 2012. Until then, the recall serves only as a mechanism for individuals who experience an inverter assembly failure to have the inverter replaced for free, even if the car is out of warranty.

Until these new IPMs come out, everyone driving a HH subject to recall is at risk for experiencing the failure. When I pressed the woman at CustCare for a better response from Toyota, she was very understanding, but Toyota is not going to take any further action. That is why I, within 24 hours of receiving my "repaired" HH, traded it in on a new Subaru Outback. DON'T DRIVE BEHIND HHs.
  • pearlanderpearlander Member Posts: 8
    Brought our '06 HH into the dealership this week for an oil change & tire rotation. I asked about the recall, and the service manager said they are still waiting on Toyota for the replacement/repair.

So far our HH has been running great. Haven't had any problems yet. (knock on wood). 65K miles to date.
  • kenduffkenduff Member Posts: 19
    same thing happened to me 3 days ago, Toyota will not help, you are on your own, it will cost about $10,000 to replace the inverter. let the NHTSA know this happened to you as I did...good luck...Ken
    Gosh seems this is a common problem, my HH cut out on me on the freeway this week, i was going 70 mph, got a warning Check Hybrid System and lost all power in the car. i was able to coast to the exit but was nearly run over by a semi truck, scared the crap out of me, kid was with me and was screaming with fear. Had it towed to the dealer who said inverter was out, car had over 100,000 miles so was out of warranty...cost to fix $10,000. ..called Toyota and have a case set up, lets see what happens...I'm just glad my daughter and myself are still alive. Be careful all HH owners, someone is going to die as more HH run up the miles....
  • rescue131rescue131 Member Posts: 17
    This happened to me a well, last night at about midnight, doing about 65 on the interstate 95, in the left lane. All of a sudden it stopped dead. I had my daughter in the car as well. I managed to coast to the shoulder, remarkably, where we waited 45 mintues for a tow, with my daughter crying and squeezing my hand every time the rush of wind from an 18 wheeler rocked our car; she was terified of it falling over the guardrail. I researched this online, and found that in very late June, Toyota recalled this part. (Well, the IPM within the inerter - I am expecting them to find that my inverter failed because of some other part to avoid replacing it fo free. I am waiting to hear from the shop. In reading post 181 by kenduf, I am taking your comment that "You are on your own, Toyota won't help" as to mean that they won't help with replacement of the inverter as a precautionary step? A few others have posted that Toyota did replace the part when it failed. If this is gets fixed, I, too, will dump this car (which I otherwise just love) and replace it with something else, and I will avoid Toyota's on the road, too. I can only imagine the horrible accident that can occur when one of them makes a sudden stop on the highway. I was very lucky to be able to coast to shoulder.
  • siriusdocsiriusdoc Member Posts: 2
    Good luck to you rescue 131. I had a "battery failure" awhile back in my 2006 HH and the battery was replaced for $239. (?) I had made the effort to trade the HH it in but as we all know, trading and buying a car take time and after two attempts, I put it off even longer. This week when my wife heard about the recall, she insisted on my getting rid of the HH. She stated she would not let me drive my 3 children in my car until the car was gone. So luckily, the dealership had a Honda Odyssey with similar mileage, 90,000 and the trade was fair. I got $13200 for the HH 2006 (I owed $11000) from my dealer for an Odyssey that cost $12000. I took the deal and ran...I was in the dealer for less than 1 1/2 hours and feel relieved. Now I can with peace of mind drive my 3 children, age 10 and under, in my van. I am a 40 something father, so the van is not what I had in mind but I love the sound system, the smooth ride, and my children love the DVD. It is much more kid friendly than the HH. Get out of the HH while you can!
    bad luck, sorry this also happened to you, Toyota case manager "Robert" called me today and said they are not helping with repairs. He said because it was a later model, mid to late 07 it is not being recalled. I said it was the same problem as the early model, he said the NHTSA has not made them recall the late 07's, only the early model. seems to me that as the later models rack up the miles problems will happen. BE WARNED do not drive behind Toyota Highlanders if you value your life. Getting it towed to the wreckers this week...funny thing he also said was that if I had got my oil changes at their dealer they would have fixed the problem, I had my oil changes done at a Jiffy Lube.......Toyoto sucks big time...good luck to all other Toyota owners out there...your going to need it..I filed a case with NHTSA you should do the same, phone them do not Email them... :lemon:
    My car died at a highnspeed on the internet, with my child in the car. I just hear from the Toyota service center. While my car happens to be one of the recalled Vin numbers, Toyota themselves informed me that even were it not, Toyota would have to pick up the inverter, because The Federal Gov't makes them warranty this part for ten years or 150k miles...it was unclear to me whether this only applies to hybrids, or all highlanders. But as this came right out of the Toyota Service Center's mouth, anyone who is stuck with a bad inverter should look into this! This warranty is above anything Toyota has sold with the car. You don't have to have it written in your warranty, or to have purchased it separately. It's federal gov't mandated. My car will be ready tomorrow! It was a ten grand bill, including a replacement battery. I'm walking away out only $150. I hope this helps some of you.
    I'm very interested in your post. I also looked into the 10 years/150K miles issue, but multiple sources (including Toyota headquarters) said this didn't apply to the inverter. Can you tell me, what state are you in...and what was the mileage on your car?
  • n3tel3n3tel3 Member Posts: 4

Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.
    Who ever heard of a Toyota breaking down at 90-120K? It is rare, and for it to be the SAME part, and an EXPENSIVE part at that...

No more hybrids for me... Not until I see a CLEAR LONG history of no problems...

$4000 for a used inverter for me, what a waste of $$$.
    car had 123000 miles and san diego ca. bought it new 3 1/2 years ago...it is not covered under the recall because the recall is only for 06 and early 07's...... :lemon:
    The Toytota dealer who told me that was Town and Country Toyota in Westport, CT. Call them and ask for the service manager. (You might not want to mention that you heard this on the forum, though.) If it is a federal law, then it won't matter what state you're in. I have 75,000 miles on my car. I just now picked it up from the dealer. They told me because I got the inverter fixed before the "official" recall, I got a new one, whereas after the recall they are putting a piece of tape of some sort on it. If I were you, I would call them and inquire. This service station said that 150/10 law had nothing to with my own personal warranty on the car (which had expired, anyway). It's separate. I had no warranty, and they did it for free. It's a 2006, Hi Hy with 75k. Good luck.
    Irina2 posted that she learned it was covered under an emissions warranty. If that is so, then it doesn't matter if the car was part of the recall or not. That emissions warranty should apply to all of them.
  • eriweneriwen Member Posts: 15
    Just a quick update; I thought Toyota was going to repair the recall issue when they replaced my engine, but the part is not available yet. As with everyone else who received the first recall notification, I have to wait until the end of the year. Thus, I have to be nervous about driving my car with this pending problem. (It is definitely scary when the car just fails and coasts!)

I am still waiting to see what NHTSA finds out since the middle part of a valve spring (looks like a slinky) just broke out and destroyed the engine. That doesn't seem like it should happen since I have had regular, consistent maintenance! I mailed NHTSA an update with the photos from Toyota of the defective part.
    That is insane. My car was on the recall and toyota replaced the part. I was almost killed on the hwy, w my child. "drive carefully" is an unacceptable answer. If i were u, i wd raise hell. My car was fixed in a week.
    I'm confused by your post, rescue131... I said just the opposite... when i looked into it, I was told it was NOT covered... and I was told about the 8 yrs/100K miles warranty....I think the Federal emissions standard you may be referring to (as I learned when I looked into that) applies only to zero or ultra-low emissions cars--or something like that--but the HiHy isn't considered to be in this category.
    Irina2, sorry to have misquoted you. According the Toyota dealer who replaced my inverter, the bottom line is that whether or NOT the inverter has been recalled (and it has), the inverter is STILL covered under some other federal warranty, the name of which I never learned, that covers certain parts for 150k or 10 years. That warranty is not a part of any warranty you buy when you buy the car. I had not purchased any extended warranty, but this part was STILL covered by the federal warranty. Whether it is an emissions warranty, or whatever else it is called, I do not know. But bottom line: whether or not your vehicle is part of the recall, if the inverter goes, it's covered under the 150k/10 year federal warranty. This came from the Toyota dealer. Anyone who needs this part replaced and is told they cannot have it replaced because their car is not one of the recalled cars, can have it replaced under the federal warranty.
    My service advisor at the local toyota dealer claims there is no warranty. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find this warranty information? I paid a TON of money to have my inverter replaced, and I kept the old one just in case anything ever came up with this whole rotten situation.

Here is what I know about electronics and electrical parts:
    Electrical parts and electronic parts that do NOT have any moving parts do NOT fail unless there is a defect, or unless something else causes them to fail. Poor engineering of the system is considered a defect. These parts do not wear and do not have a lifetime that can be "used up." If something is VERY old, like 30-50 years or more, there may be a physical breaking down of some things like rubber or plastic, but as far as solid state devices, they do NOT wear.

Either these inverters were engineered to fail with time, or they were not properly engineered.

I work in an industrial environment, and we have solid state devices that pass much greater current, and we also have some that switch much higher voltages. These devices are not known to fail unless something else in the circuit causes an overcurrent or overvoltage condition.

We need to keep pushing on this. We are right on this one!!! This should NOT be happening!
    I found all the relevant warranty information, and include it (together with sources) in this post.

First of all, The emission warranty on your vehicle is issued in accordance
    with the U.S. Federal Clean Air Act. The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will
    comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions
    inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995
    and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts
    and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit
    and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the
    vehicle being properly maintained and operated. Source: http://www.rosenentertainment.com/Magnuson-Moss%20and%20Clean%20Air%20Acts.pdf

Additionally, vehicles purchased in California, or in any of the states which have adopted the legislation (Connecticut, Maryland New Jersey, Rhode Island, Delaware, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont, The District of Columbia, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Virginia
    Maine - Source: http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/26-1321-01.pdf), are covered under the defect warranty coverage for the California.

This warranty, part of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) Emissions Warranty Coverage Periods for New Vehicles, Engines, and Equipment Sold in California mandates that PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicles) Certified Vehicles be warrantied for defects on emission-related parts for 15 years/150k miles. It further mandates that defects in energy storage devices (batteries) be warrantied for 10 years. Source: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf. Also visit http://www.driveclean.ca.gov.

The Toyota Highlander Hybrid meets the above mandate as it is a PZEV Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. Source: http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/Understanding-Low-Emission-Vehicles. Further, the Inverter is part of the emissions parts.

Therefore, anyone who has purchased a hybrid PZEV will have the benefit of the Federal warranty, and anyone who has purchased it in California or in one of the CARB states, will have the 150k/10 year warranty on the inverter.

Look up the sources, print them out, bring them to your Toyota dealers. It's that easy.
  • smithpostsmithpost Member Posts: 3
    I was looking at purchasing a 2007 HH with 102000 miles when I came across this thread. I have read all 20 pages of the previous posts and really appreciate all of you for your efforts and willingness to share.

I am trying to figure out where the HH I am looking at fits into this picture. I have checked the vin# at the Toyota recall site and it states there is none for this vehicle. I believe all the HH's on this thread have been 2006 models except for Kenduff's #190.

I read the threads that relate to vin # cutoffs and assume that this is why this particular HH is not included, however, Kenduff's seems to be past this cutoff as well.

Rescue131's #191 gives hope to many, however, it doesn't appear like this particular HH would qualify. The HH is in Alabama and has over 100000 miles.

I know there are a lot of emotionally based reasons not to take a chance on this vehicle, however, I would be very interested in facts related to how this vehicle fits into (or doesn't fit into) this picture. Thanks in advance.
    Rescue131, thank you for all your hard work and willingness to share. I was interested in your take on how a currently running, non-recall list, 2007 HH, for sale in Alabama, with 102000 mi. fits into this picture? It doesn't appear to meet any of the requirements you listed above. I was looking at purchasing this vehicle when I came across this discussion thread. I would not be as concerned if not for Kenduf's posts. Thanks in advance.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    Do NOT buy this car. We have one, it stinks.
    There is no reason to buy it even if it works perfectly. You don't save much gas.
    Get a regular Highlander for much less and no problems.
    We have a 2007. The battery often dies and now it lights
    up but won't READY, intermittantly.
    If you want to buy one, buy mine. Less than 40,000 miles.
    this is a later model that I have put 127000 miles on in 3 1/2 years, as more later 07's put on the miles the same problem is happening...do not buy this car. Check the highway safety site people are filing complaints more and more on the later 07's.. :lemon: ...K
    What are you asking for it and where are you located?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The forums cannot be used to buy, sell, or advertise items for sale.

Thanks in advance for following the rules of the road! :)
    Thank you, k :lemon:
    Thank you, i agree k :lemon:
    Nice job. I printed all your work and gave to the Toyota dealer today. They will let me know tomorrow. They said this was new to them and they are in California .. :lemon:
    just heard from Toyota that the HH is not covered under this law, it does not fit the PZEV Certified Vehicles. it has to make an 9 or higher on the drive clean scale, it is an 8 (I checked this with the state agency, its true)....so bad news for all HH owners, the 8 years 80k is all you got...sell, sell , sell... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Hi, all...

First of all, the pressure is on Toyota...according to today's NY Times, Toyota has 5 days to come up with a plan for fixing these cars...pressure on Toyota makes negotiating for us owners easier. Source: Toyota Recalls 82,000 Highlander and Lexus RX 400 Hybrids for Stalling Problem. Link:
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/toyota-recalls-82000-highlander-and-l- exus-rx-400-hybrids-for-stalling-problem/
    **Note to the member asking about purchasing a Toyota HiHy 2007- some of the cars recalled are from 2007. The one you are thinking of purchasing could have the bad inverter.
    According to Hybridcars.com, the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hy is SULEV. (The sticker telling you for sure the rating, the Vehicle Emissions Control Information sticker, by law must be under the hood of your vehicle, and may also be on one of the two rear windows. Source:
    http://www.hybridcar.com/index.phpoption=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=65
    This gives you a minimum of 8 years/80k miles. I suggest everyone whose vehicle is NOT part of the recall, but whose inverter blew, get the rating information of your emissions rating from under the hood, A copy of the applicable CA warranty code, sourced in my most recent post, or distilled here:
    http://www.anr.state.vt.us/air/MobileSources/docs/WebsiteWarrantyBrochure.pdf
    and request free replacement, based on the 8 yr, 80k mile warranty.
    If your vehicle is one of the recalled VINs, just print out the now formal recall news, and march yourselves down to the dealer.
    Alert: Toyota is sending owners of recalled 06s super-disingenous letters offering to buy back your Toyota 06 HyHi, and sell you another Toyota car, not because the lemon is a deathtrap, which has been recalled. No, no, no. if they told you that, you'd demand they fix it for free, which will cost them mega bucks. Instead, they ate trying to buy back your vehicle and sell you another Toyota. It's cheaper for them to buy it back than to fix it, PLUS, they get the added bonus of a NEW sale. Since they dont want to notify some who may not know about the recall, they are claiming they want your 06 because they are in desperate need of Toyota 2006 cars. Really? It's 2011. All of a sudden, we are to believe that there is increased demand for 2006 models? Toyota blames this, most shamefully, on a shortage of 2006 models created by a production lapse caused by - wait for it - the earthquake in Japan. Yup. Now, I'm no mathemetician, but the earthquake was in March, 2011. If I subtract 2006 from 2011, I will get 5 years. Sooo, they stopped producing 2006 cars 5 years before the earthquake supposedly halted their production of them. But we are to believe they were STILL producing them up until the earthquake, and now have a shortfall? I love my Toyota, but their shoddy inverter caused deaths. And now they want to avoid the responsibility of making good on this recall? Where are the ethics in business? Before I get off my soapbox, if the corporate greed were not shameful enough, to cart into this that devastating earthquake? And to insult our intelligence....everyone's clamoring for 2006 vehicles right now, and they had to stop producing new ones in March 2011? I won't buy another Toyota on the basis of this letter. Shame on them.
    For Kenduff - you may have a late 2007 vehicle, but if you haven't already just cheked your VIN against the recall list...you might want to give it a try. Maybe it's included.
    The NY Times article was dated June, not September...their 5 day plan was to tell us to drive more slowly until they figure a way out for themselves...but keep watching that NHTSA info...they cannot stall much longer. Oh! Golly...no pun intended! :)
    i did and it is not..... :lemon:
    New information....

My HiHy is a 2006 SULEV II (level II). This info is found on the sticker under the hood. My vehicle was covered under the 150k CARB warranty, regardless of recalled VIN num. I have been trying to find out why some of yours was not covered. This is what I found.

The warranty was updated 12/8/2010. If your service ppl are referring to your original warranty, it has been ammended. According to the amount, vehicles meeting the SULEV II requirements fall into 2 dif categories (depending on emission specs). The category determines whether it is warrantied for 120 or 150k. Because my own vehicle was manufactured to the specs granting it the higher 150k warranty, I assume all the same year make and models would be (they are massed produced, of course).

This link is the ammended CARB emissins regulations. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/levprog/cleandoc/cleancomplete_lev-ghg_regs_12-10.p- df
    On page 46 there is a chart. The top of the chart is for SULEV II light duty trucks (as is the toyota hihy). The vehicles emissions specs will cause it to land in either the 150 or 120k warranty plan. MY vehicle fell in the 150k plan. So it must be that anyone else's 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid was manufactured to the same emissins specs and must also meet the same standards for the 150k warramty.

If any of you are still not getting covered for this, I would print out this (mandatory) warranty regulation (just page 47 is necessary), bring it to my service tech, and show him that this part is covered under the ammended warranty. If he says it is not, I would then ask him to show me the mfr specs showing it to conform to the lower emissions warranty. If he shows you specs showing it conforms to the 150k warranty, you are done. And again, it simply must conform, because my vehicle was not produced individually. It is a 2096 toy hi hy, and they were all mass produced.

Good luck.
  • fvongraffvongraf Member Posts: 1
    Same story as most of the others on this forum. My 2006 Highlander Hybrid with 83,000 miles died earlier this week when I was driving my kids around. We just left a parking lot and started in to traffic on a major road and then *POP* there was no power and the warning lights kick on, including the Check Hyrbrid system, check VCS system, ABS, etc. It was the worst time of day, right after 5pm so thing congested rush hour conditions... I managed to coast the car over and was just short of a bus stop, so with a little pushing we made it off the road. Called my wife to pick up the kids and I got to wait for the tow truck to pick me up.

Once we got the car in to the dealer, they confirmed that the inverter had blown and would need to be replaced. They replaced it under warranty saying that this was covered under a recall for the Highlander Hybrid. My VIN doesn't end within the previously mentioned range so not sure if we had the earlier inverter or later inverter, either way it was bad. I'm glad it was covered because when I came in to pick it up the bill (to Toyota) said $7329, I'm guessing they'd mark that up further if it was to be billed to a customer.

The new inverter drives great, but I think it's time to look at getting a new vehicle and not a Toyota. I've never been much of a domestic guy (outside of trucks) but the new Ford's are really looking good...
    did as you said and Toyota tech said "no way". it is not covered under the amended law....he actually did not even read what I printed out...nasty bunch them Toyota boys....writing a letter to NHTSA today.... :lemon:
    If I were you, assuming you live in one of the states which has adopted the California clean air regulation (the list of states which did is posted in onee of my earlier posts), I would get that sticker info from the underside of my hood (the SULEV II warranty info), my registration, and any emissions info I had on this car, set aside a block of time and call carb. Their num is on their website. Some Sulev IIs are covered for 150k, some are not, as you saw on Page 47 of the amended regulation. I would ask carb to let me know for sure, and if it is, I would then ask for documentation. Then I would take that documentation to the Regional Manager or Regional VP to whom this tech reports. I would let him know that the part was a safety recall, and that you have been in touch with the NHTSA regarding the policy toyota is required to follow on this. (that policy info is a link on the NHTSA website. And I would also call NHTSA and advise them of the situation and ask for their assistance. The steps manufacturer's must take in a recall are not negotiable. They are mandated by NHTSA. Likewise, if the amended regulation governing emissions warranties is not something the tech can choose to go along with or not. It is a binding agreement between mfr's of low emission vehicles and carb, which mfr's must (must) honor in exchange for incentives. I have a strong suspicion this tech does not even know the reg was updated. I would write letters for sure, but I'd be on the phone with NHTSA, Carb, getting my info crystal clear, and then on the phone with the senior exec to whom this tech, or this tech's boss, or boss's boss, reports. Toyota can get in huge, huge trouble for not honoring the regulatory agreement or the NHTSA recall mandates. Make sure you let this exec know exactly what is required of them, and the penalties from nhtsa and carb for noncompliance. Assuming, of course, you gave carb your info and they attested your model vehicle went w the 150k plan (mine did, and it is SULEV II). If they took the carb benefits, they honor warranty. I would also make sure that the exec you speak to for help in getting the tech to follow Toyota's policies and mandates knows the name of this tech. That's what I would do if I were you...
    Hi rescue 131...here is the reply I received from the CARB and the HH is a later 07 model that was not recalled, my VIN# is a few hundred beyond the recall numbers.... I think Toyota chose not to certify as a PZEV is because they knew the inverters were faulty..time will tell.. :) Ken :lemon:

The certification Executive Order for your vehicle, 2007 Toyota Highlander hybrid, shows that the vehicle was indeed certified as a SULEV. Unfortunately, SULEV certification alone does not qualify for the 15 year/150,000 mile emission warranty. Only vehicles certified as partial zero emission vehicles (PZEV) qualify for the extended emission warranty. In order to qualify as a PZEV, a vehicles must have SULEV tailpipe emissions and zero fuel evaporative emissions. For some reason, Toyota chose not to certify the Highlander as a PZEV, as you will note in the attached certification Executive Order.

To illustrate the difference, I’ve attached the certification Executive Orders for your vehicle and the 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid which is a PZEV.

I fully sympathize with your position, this is not a trivial repair cost. For your information, I noted during a search on Ebay that the Highlander inverter is available for considerably less than $10,000.

I’ve cc’ed John Urkov, branch chief overseeing the section dealing with warranty concerns for confirmation on the Highlander status.

Regards,
    Paul.
    That phone num is the toyota, westport num. Also, maybe ask Paul, who wrote you from CARB to explain page 46 of the ammended warranty wherein it lists the SULEV II twice, one with the lower mileage warranty, and one with the 150k warranty, citing it as optional. That is the only reason i can think of why mine would have been covered without the recall
    edited October 2011
    Kenduff, I'm wondering what your immediate plans are. I really feel for you. Are you going to pay the money to fix your car? And hope for some reimbursement later? If so, how much are they quoting you? I know your car doesn't seem to fit into any of the categories with much hope for reimbursement by big Toyota. We paid $8500 and are hoping for reimbursement through the recall and/or the lawsuit against Toyota. But our VIN also fits within the magic range. Sorry to see your hopes raised with the Federal emissions idea. I went through that for weeks, only to have my hopes crushed when I learned about how it doesn't apply because of the whole SULEV and PZEV business. We also hope to replace our replaced inverter (for which we paid, but hope to be reimbursed) with the new re-engineered one that the recall promises. Unless I hear from anyone on this forum any good reason NOT to demand replacing my 'new' inverter (which is only warrantied for 1 year, thank you Toyota).
    Hi, Irinan2,

If you read the actual amendment to the emissions law, page 46 or 47, you will see that some Sulev IIs have the150k warranty option. This doc comes straight from CARB. My own Sulev II was covered for 150k according to my Toyota dealer. I posted the link in an earlier message. Check it out.
    It appears my earlier message didnt post...

As my car is a SulevII and it was covered, according to my toyota dealer, for 150k, regardless of vin num, and because the graph on page 46 of that amended CARB reg shows two boxes for Sulev II, and states 150k warranty optional, I cam only think that the higher optional warranty had to have been applied to my vehicle. At this point, before I gave up, I would call back Paul from CARB, refer him to that graph, and ask him why it states in the Sulev II box "optional 150k" when it is nit a PZEV, and you had been told it applies only to PZEV. If that doesn't help, I might ask his advice on getting Toyota to replace it anyway, as it did fail, and your vin is only a few hundred off. I'm sure it's too exp for Toyota to want to do a "goodwill" replacement, but if there were some way to make them aware of the bad will generated by not replacing all failed inverters (a huge safety issue!) in the general time period. It's not likely that the inverters were faulty on the recalled vins, but yours, only a couple hundred out, failed due to "pilot" error.

I had put the number of my Toyota dealer down in that post so you could call and ask them about the 150k "option" on Sulev II, but apparently, that's not ok on here. I myself am now so curious as to why my Sulev II was covered when yours wasn't, I am going to simply call myself and ask them. Perhaps there is an answer there, ornat the very least an explanation. I do not believe they made a mistake in covering mine, because ppl generally check their info before shelling out big money. I will post the result of that phone call.
    rescue131,
    I've been following this whole discussion about the federal/state low emissions warranty issue with some interest (though it is a somewhat nostalgic, detached interest--having already paid for my fix myself, given that we had over 100K miles). What keeps coming to mind is that your car, after all, had 75K miles on it, right? I can't help but to think your car WAS still within the regular Toyota warranty on hybrid parts (the 8 year/100K)...and all this discussion appears academic about the federal/state emissions warranty. I remember I hit the same roadblock about the PZEV... I think you got lucky that your car cloncked out at the 75K miles and Toyota had to fix it...just like others on this forum with such low mileage. Whatever your technicians are saying was the reason they fixed it doesn't discount the fact that they HAD to fix it due to the fact that it was within 8 years/100K miles. Am I missing something?
    Yes, Irina2, you are missing something. The pertinent information is in my posts. You must not have read them. The mileage did not matter on my car bc my VIN num was recalled. But that was never the point. The point was that the service tech told me that even if my VIN had NOT been recalled, and even if my car had 149,999 miles, they were obligated to make the repair anyway. Surely, I would not have missed something so obvious as the mileage difference in my posts about why my car was covered and why some others aren't. Why don't you go ahead and re-read the posts, should you have any other questions.
    your right irina2.....rescue131 was misinformed. ...the tech did not know his facts. the repair was covered on the 80k warranty...case closed... :lemon:
    Noooo, as I said a million times, MY car was covered bc the Vin num was one of the ones recalled. If the tech was misinformed about the 150k issue, that had nothing to do with my repair. My Vin was recalled. I did post the ammended regulations, which state that some Sulev IIs (not just Pzev's) had the 150k, and perhaps my tech knew how that is applied.

Good luck.
    Actually, I'm very grateful, rescue131, that you did all that footwork and looked into the emssions issue again. You may have something there, and only time will tell how the experts and Toyota decide to interpret/apply these regs. I am looking forward to your report here on the forum about your phone call to the tech and why he says the emissions issue applied to you and not others. Please follow through with your kind offer to aprise us.