Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX56 Steering Problem

k5hduk5hdu Member Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in INFINITI
Bought a new QX56 2008 in 2007 and have noticed a problem with the steering wheel. I notified the dealership at the 12000 mile check up but they felt there is nothing could be found. The problem is that when traveling at high speed levels, say 60 to 80 mph, and have to apply the breaks, there is a definite " chemmy " or shake in the steering wheel. There is no pulling when the breaks are applied or when driving. Any ideas ?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like your rotors may be warped.
  • k5hduk5hdu Member Posts: 6
    That is what the problem was. The Infinity dealer wanted to charge $ 160.00 but took to my independent dealer for $ 80.00. Go figure !
    Did they replace them or turn them?
    They were turned. I started complaining of the " shimmy " around 20,000 miles so early for the rotars to be warped.
    Early but not all that unusual. I think the usual problem is that someone rotates the tires and the lugs get tightened too tight, and that can warp rotors. Not the only reason but common.
  • lingenfelterlingenfelter Member Posts: 6
    Most likely your brake rotors are warped. Infinity used the same rotors as they do on their much lighter Nissan pick up truck (Titan). The QX is much heavier and burns out the rotors between every 5 to 10,000 miles you drive. Typically, on a normal vehicles rotors are good for at least 100,000 miles. The dealer might try to sell you on "resurfacing or turning" the rotors", which you don't want. You should demand new rotors. I think they have an upgrade version, since they are well aware of this very common problem.
    OK, if you replace with new rotors from infinity, your back to the same problem in 10,000 miles !
    It is the rotors and you are right, rotors don't need to be turned @ 20,000 miles unless they are factory defects, which they are. Nissan know all too well about this and other problems with their brakes, but for some reason, the dealers act stupid.
    Yes, unless you demand the new thicker rotors that Infinity & Nissan have issued "service bulletins" on. Some dealers wll deny. Check google, there are many entries on this. I have filed formal complaints with the Federal Highway Safety and Transportation Office as well as the Florida Attorney General.
    Yep, they told me after 12 months or 12,000 miles I am on my own. Will not go back to the dealer !
This discussion has been closed.