Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave AC Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    midtenn,

Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • midtennmidtenn Member Posts: 3
    Ok, here is the latest. After doing everything possible to the A/C in the Enclave, it has become apparent that it's not "Operator Error". We took a long slow drive adjusting the temp settings to well above the point where the coil could freeze over and just like clockwork, the rear air faded to warm and shortly after that, the front system faded to warm. We cut it off, revved the engine trying to see if it was a system pressure issue, cut it back on and faint, cool air.
    Tomorrow morning, we are going to a dealer in the next town over for a look see. The guy I talked to in the Service Dept. said that it's possible that it's just low on freon being a 3 year old car. I've got 2 Toyotas that have not lost a breath of freon in 10 years EACH!
    So, before I go off on the perceived quality of my car, I'll reserve my thoughts until after the visit to the Service Dept.

MidTenn
  • benzslbenzsl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Enclave with the same AC problems as numerous other owners have had. On long hot trips, AC stops blowing cold air, cannot force any air through the dash vents, and after resting, the ac seems to work again. I took my buick in last week for this problem and they said they reprogrammed the AC. Now, the air coming through the dash, while set at max, is only partially cool, and the aux vents in the rear are blowing hot air. Needless to say, I left the car with them until they get this fixed. The above problems have occurred at leat four times.
    Has GM ever come up with a permanent fix for this widespread problem? Don't their service departments tire of having to look at the same problem over and over? I love the car design and the overall quietness of the vehicle, but I can't live with no AC on long trips!
  • midtennmidtenn Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    Update.

Took the Enclave to the Buick Dealership. Service Dept. was very understanding and generally helpful. They told us that the freon was low and put in what they thought was enough for the A/C to function properly as well as "Leak Detector". We were told to stop back in about a week from now and let them look to see if the leak is noticeable. We were charged $110.00 for the work. We were also told that if they find the leak, one section of the tubing would run twice that (Labor not included).
    I can understand things wearing out that get used and abused (tires, brakes, oil, air filters, etc). But the cooling system (both engine cooling and cabin cooling) should be much more reliable than lasting 3 years. And that's being generous. Is GM hearing this Caron? My heart goes out to all the families that are angry, frustrated and generally disappointed with such unacceptable flaws in a premium priced vehicle.

MidTenn
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Well, I hear you. Our '03 gave us so many problems that I lost faith in GM once and for all. Spending top $$$ and receiving low quality and service doesn't compute.

Now, We have a Mazda CX-9 for my wife, Honda CR-V for my daughter and I have an Optima SX.

Regards,
    OW
    midtenn,

Thank you for the update. Please keep me posted if you have anymore problems with the A/C.

Thank you,
    benzsl,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your A/C. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • shooter5743shooter5743 Member Posts: 5
    I was just checking here on the Enclave forum to see if there have been A/C issues. We have a 2009 Traverse that I am having A/C problems with, the same as many of you here. I am completely SICK about it. My story is this, we bought our Traverse in February 2009. The main reason we bought a three seater is because we have 4 grand daughters (2 sets of sisters), age 2, 7, 10 and 12 that we like to have together. This week we were to have all 4 to babysit at our youngest son's house near St. Louis. We had plans to head into STL to do some sightseeing. On Wednesday when we started out our trip we got about 90 minutes from home and noticed the A/C front fan quit blowing although we had the speed set on high. I pulled over to check fuse box to see if something had blown. After having the car shut off for about 20-30 minutes the fan kicked back on. We noticed at this time what looked like frost coming out of the center upper vents and a noise coming from in front of the driver. The noise stoiped after a couple miles. Today I took the car by a local reputable shop (business over 30 years) since the town did not have a GM dealer. Since we had hoped to spend some qualit time in STL I was wanting to get the car fixed if possible. Also I need to add the Traverse has 55,000 miles. After the shop looked at the car the tech said even though it is out of warranty I should take it back to the dealer and see if they could repair it. he found the front evaporator under the dash was leaking. He said it was a labor intense job because the dash would have to be pulled and cost over $1000. The tech said there is NO WAY we should be having a problem like this with a 2009 and 55,000 miles. I TOTALLY AGREE!! I went back to my son's and called the dealer whom I thought I had a good relationship with since we have traded with them several times. the service manager said they could not help that i would need to call GM. On the Traverse Forum there were several complaints dealing with this. One post said with his problem they had to change several parts besides the evaporator, one was the HVAC case itself because it warps. He said for 2008, 2009 and 2010 GM has 3 different part numbers for the HVAC case making him think they knew there was a problem. I have not contacted GM customer service yet but plan to Monday morning. It looks like our time planned in STL has been changed since the Traverse is the only vehicle we have that the 6 of us can go together. We are both retired and in our 40 plus years of driving ALWAYS bought and drove GM. Just since 1990 after both boys started driving we have had: 89 Grand Prix, 91 Lumina, 92 S10, 94 Silverado, 96 Jimmy, 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4, 90 Corvette, 91 Corvette, 03 Corvette, 05 Avalanche, and the 09 Traverse.
    I apogize for posting on the Enclave forum but chances are good we all have the same parts going bad...............plus I was hoping the GM reps might be of some help..............even though all I've seen them post is "I apologize for your A/C problems, please keep us posted on any information from the dealership". HOPEFULLY they will step up and realize they have a problem!! Sincerely,
    Shooter5743
  • vickiefontainevickiefontaine Member Posts: 15
    Hi Shooter
    I wish I had better news to tell you but you are most likely out of luck. I have a 2008 Enclave and it has been in the shop 7 times for AC problems similar to what you described. GM started a file on me but I got absolutely nowhere. I was fortunate in that the initial problem happened while it was still under warranty. I think it is finally fixed. I am also on my third transmission. I have had this vehicle for 3 years and it has 64K miles on it. I really wish I could tell you that GM will work hard to make this right but I can't. The dealership I have been working with has been outstanding; I can't say enough good things. My issue is not with the dealership but with GM. They flat out told me in an email that they would not discuss this issue with me anymore. My point is that it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that a car that has been in the shop 7 times for AC problems and is on its 3rd transmission is obviously defective. Not much I can do except just suck it up....all the missed time at work and inconvenience....and hope and pray that nothing else happens. But, given the history, I doubt it. I hope you will have a better outcome; best wishes!

PS-Here is a tip I found out that I hope will help. When you contact customer service, you will be assigned a rep. After I got nowhere with my rep, I asked to speak with his supervisor. He refused and basically implied that there was no one else I could talk to. I told him that unless he was president or CEO of GM, he did indeed have a supervisor. I never was able to get past my rep. I found out much later that if a rep has to hand you off to his supervisor, it counts against them as they want everything handled at the initial level. Perhaps this piece of info will help you get further in the marathon you are about to run!
  • scfrazerscfrazer Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad I found this forum.

My AC has been working great on my 2008 Enclave, until today. I used my car for about 15 minutes and went to a party. About 5 hours later when I started my car, the front blower does not blow air. I can feel the cold air as a whisper from the ducts, but not the blower. I turn on the AUX and turn up the blower and the air in the back is nice and cold and blows. But still the front blower does not work. I checked fuses and everything. Since my air is cold I'm thinking my blower motor must have went. I'll have to wait until Monday to contact the dealer to check it out.

I have had so many problems with my enclave....the rear hatch contact switch, the power steering shaft, the actuator in the driver side mirror, my nav/radio (and I still have the occasional time where the screen will be blank and the controls won't work, even the OnStar and emergency buttons won't work), ABS switch under the driver's seat (then they issued a recall so I got a refund from my dealter), and I may have forgotten some items. I've also had to replace the sway bar bushings, the tie rod ends, the stabilizer links, etc. I know these are wearable items, but for all of them to go bad already is horrible.

Another thing that bothers me is there is not bluetooth in the 2008 model. I feel I was penalized for being one of the first owners of the new Enclave. The very next model year, Buick finally realized that you can't force people to use the OnStar system for phone calls and added bluetooth to the vehicle. I know Delco was working on a module for the 2008 model to add bluetooth, but you can't buy it directly. My dealer can't find any information about it.
    scfrazer,
    I would recommend speaking with the dealer regarding your concerns with your vehicles. If you would like me to look into recall information please just email me with your VIN and current mileage. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • trd2jztrd2jz Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here! 2008 Buick Enclave.
    My car has been to the dealership more than any of my other cars combined!! The A/C is complete garbage! I've had mine at the dealership for A/C problems on 3 different occassions and headed back for a 4th time. (Thats not even counting other reasons, leaking sunroof, clunking sounds while driving, 1st to 2nd gear, loose steering, ect ect...)

Heres the problems, so far! The A/C stopped blowing cold air, freon leak but dye couldn't find the leak, an actuater replaced, A/C reprogrammed, constant HISSING sound (So annoying), fluctating A/C speeds, again A/C stop blowing cold air, ect.

I have about 45K miles on my Enclave and I didnt purchase the extended warranty. I'm thinking of contacting an attorney to see if there is a legal remedy. Hopefully he can at least get an extended warranty on the A/C. Maybe even the lemon law could apply to this situation, possibley make GM buy it back to me! :lemon:
  • brackbrack Member Posts: 1
    Has the air conditioner problem been fixed and if so what was the problem, we are having the same trouble with our 2008 Enclave
    Hi Benz

We have had no problems so far this summer with the AC (knock on wood) which is fortunate considering we have had temps well over 100 degrees for days. The last repair (#7) was sometime last fall. There were leaks underneath the car that they were finally able to see because of dye and a black light. I'm sorry I don't know the technical term for what it was but I do know they used dye and a black light to spot it. Now, they put the dye in on the 6th repair and didn't see anything. It took until the 7th repair for the dye to make its way down into the system where they could see it with the black light.

On another note...I just had my third transmission put in. Maybe one of these days GM will step up to the plate and do the right thing. Good luck!
    brack,

Have you taken the vehicle in to be diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • rebel26rebel26 Member Posts: 1
    2011 Enclave, driving from FL to NC about half way there.
    A/C fan slowed down & output temp increased, temp outside 102.
    After a rest stop blows cold for awhile, then warms up.
    Called dealer Mon. at 0800 in Boone NC cannnot get in until Thurs.
    Air is now working around town.
    trd2jz,

I apologize for the problems you have been experiencing with the A/C. By chance, have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • goauburngoauburn Member Posts: 1
    We bought a used 2008 Buick Enclave (GM Certified!) less than 90 days ago. of those 90 days, it has been in the shop 20 of them. It has required work on the head light, tail light, a new rear air blower, a steering column make over to repair a squeaking noise and two accelerator plates to correct a problem with the stabilatrac system that shuts your car down where it can only go 40 mph until it is corrected. After all of that, we tried to make a trip to Florida this week only to get 5 hours in and have our front A/C quit working. The fan was blowing, the air was cool, but it would not come out of vent.

We love the vehicle when it is operational, which, so far, has been about 60% of the time. We now have to take it back to the dealership. Fortunately we do have about a year extended warranty, but seriously, the car will probably have to be in the shop another 2-3 days. Can someone give me an Enclave that works?
    goauburn,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • whbrownwhbrown Member Posts: 4
    Seems as I have the same problem as many others on this forum. I was driving back from a long trip and got about 4 hours into the trip when the front blower for the AC quit working. I tried to manually override the system, no luck. Front defroster would not work, a safety issue. The rear AC did work so I was able to somewhat cool the car. Today the system is working again but I'm sure on another long trip, I will become unhappy again. Has anyone been told what the root problem is on this?
    whbrown,
    Have you spoke with your local dealer? I apologize for your frustrations. If you email me your VIN I can look into recall information for this concern.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I got this from my 2003 Denali A/C issue when it was 2 years old. Had to set temp to 74 deg. for front/back units for 20 minutes to reset the system.

It worked but unfortunately the compressor failed in 4th year of ownership anyway.

That's GMC for ya! :mad:

Regards,
    OW
  • mckcmc123mckcmc123 Member Posts: 1
    We have also experienced a similar issue with our Enclave, but it happens at any time when driving or stopping, the passenger side will continue to blow cool air and the driver side heats up and roasts you. We have resorted to putting the car in neutral turning it off while in motion and restarting it this seems to reset the malfunction and then shifting into drive and it temporarily fixes the problem until it happens again which could be within 5-10mins. We purchased our 2008 used and have had it for 9 months it is out of warranty due to over 12,000. miles and I am extremely frustrated.
    I tried turning the car off but no success, only worked again after a few hours of being off. I really suspect the control board is over heating and will not respond to anything until it cools down. I'm taking the car in tomorrow but to be honest, I don't expect any resolution. You know the old "everything seems to be working now". Has any one experienced the front blower quitting in the winter? This is why I suspect the control board of getting too hot. If I can't get any satisfaction from the dealer, I'm going to try to vent the console.
    Follow up to message 75. The car is at the Buick dealership now and I am told the control module appears to be the problem. They are replacing it now so I trust my problems are over.
    mckcmc123,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed by your local GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    I picked up the Enclave from the dealer today and they replaced the blower motor and blower speed control module. Everything appears to be working normal now. I won't really know for sure until the next long trip. Dealer was courteous and helpful. :sick: :)
  • bbartholomewbbartholomew Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2011 Enclave about 1 month ago. It is currently at the dealership and has already been there 5 days this time, and 5 days last time. The A/C seems to work ok on low, level 3 or less but when I turn it higher than that it blows only slightly cool air, similar to a swamp cooler. They tell me everything is fine with it, but that is what they said the last time I brought it home and it has always been the same.

I also have problems with the cooling seats, not cooling. They did not work at all for 2 weeks. Then I finally got it in, and that day we took it to the dealer, they seemed to click on and cooled down but since then, they are spotty and very intermittent. They are now telling me, that they took the seats apart and the air is supposed to suck, not blow so it will never get cold, it is only pulling the air from the A/C. But everything I read about cooling seats on the internet says they are supposed to blow. I am so frustrated. A $50000+ car has been at the dealership 1/3 of the time I have owned it for them to tell me there is nothing wrong with it, when there clearly is...I am at a loss as to what to do now.
  • steel58steel58 Member Posts: 3
    trd2jz,
    I'm in the same boat as of today. I have 43, 000 on my 2008 Enclave. It's been to the dealer 4 times since this past April, from AC problems to rattling noises, check engine warnings, etc. This past weekend, the car suddenly shuts down on me as I'm driving, warning me of an overheated engine, temp. gauge shooting to 260 degrees, slowing down to 40 MPH. It's at the dealership again and I'm thinking about what GM can do for me at this point.

Did you hire a lawyer to help you? If so, what came of it. I'm tired of this car!
  • pclaypclay Member Posts: 10
    We sold our 2008 as it was evident to us that GM knew about the problem but was BSing their customers stating that they couldn't reproduce the problem. Appears to be an engineering design fault. Too bas, as the car was otherwise very comfortable. We are hoping someone files a class action suit. If we still had our car, we would file a complaint with our State Attorney General. :sick:
    steel58,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved technical assistance? Can you please email me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina,
    My dealer, which is located in Woodland Hills, Ca., has not involved technical assistance and I'm just starting this process with Customer Assistance. The problems involving my 2008 Buick Enclave over the last 3 years (but especially since March of this year) include AC not working, CD/DVD player breaking down, steering column noise, window insulation falling apart, and (as of yesterday's visit) leaking/broken water pump causing my engine to overheat.

My VIN #: 5GAER2371 8J230993
    Mileage: 43,000
    steel58,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your complete contact information? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I'd rather not post personal information on this website. Is there a private business e-mail of yours I can send the requested information?
    I feel your pain and everyone else who is trying to deal with these problems and the lack of support from GM. After 7 A/C repairs and 3 transmissions on my 08 Enclave, I finally rid myself of this albatross. I traded it in for a Ford Edge this past weekend. The dealership was wonderful; GM was not! Best wishes to all of you as you try to get your problems resolved!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    steel58

As gmcustsvc requested, please send them an e-mail. You are correct... you should never post personal information in a forum.

What they didn't mention was how to get their e-mail. Just click on their member name, and it will pull up their profile and e-mail address.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• skibum624skibum624 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 that has more problems than I can count. From leaks to steering problems to the transmission now, we are done with it. How did you get Buick to repurchase your vehicle? We have had our SUV in the shop 10 times since January, the current visit is going on 2 weeks now. Would appreciate your help, they denied us at first when they were replacing the rack and pinion steering and power and front engine mounts, then denied when the problems were still not fixed and had to replace the power steering pump, and before they could even get the car back to us they finally saw the transmission issues we told them about over a year ago.
  • angusmcgeeangusmcgee Member Posts: 4
    Our Buick dealer was very helpful in setting up the buy back. It took place in February 2010. Our 2010 Enclave has had zero problems.

If your dealer won't help you try contacting the Regional GM Manager in your area. Your dealer should at least do that.

GM will figure in usage/depreciation for the repurchase but it was still a great deal in my opinion.

Here's the address from my Trade Settlement Letter:
    General Motors RVDC
    2717 Schust Rd.
    Saginaw, MI 48603

Hope this helps. Good luck :shades:
    We are sorry about your vehicle. If you send me an e-mail with your VIN, we can look further into your situation. The, "gmcustsvc" link will take you to the e-mail. Thank you!
    Joey, GM Customer Service
  • jhumphreyjhumphrey Member Posts: 1
    2011 Buick Enclave air compressor allegedly (claimed by dealership) failed - by a rock or other road hazard flying into the engine compartment striking and ruputuring the compressor.

Repair costs estimated in excess of $900.00

Has anyone else expereinced this or do you think as I do that this alleged cause lacks credability... sort of like the magic bullet hypothesis.
  • mstein2020mstein2020 Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2008 Buick Enclave that we purchased in October 2007. Overall, we love the car. However, we continue to experience electrical problems that have not be corrected. At times, the air conditioner/heater will not react to my trying to adjust the temperature or fan, the cd/radio/navigation system will not work, the side mirrors will not adjust, the windows will not go down or up, the blinkers are erratic and traction or other indicators appear on the dashboard screen. Mosst times, if I cut the engine off and then on again, these issues disappear. Our dealership has trouble-shooted these problems but cannot find the cause. I've even gone there when these issues were happening and they still could not determine the cause. So, for now, I just hope that these problems don't occur when I'm on a trip and/or the weather is not too hot or too cold.
  • pamb2pamb2 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my enclave for 2 years. Last year no problem with the climate control system. So far this year it has been in 5 times. The defroster blows cold air when on with the floor heat. The techs re programmed the unit ( 3 months ago). It continued to be a problem. If we put the heat only on the floor it is ok, but I live in Michigan, I need a defroster! NOW I am told they compared it to a gmc and it was normal for the floor heat to be 40 degrees warmer than the defroster. I am leaving on a trip to Florida and I am very concerned about not having a properly working defroster if we run into bad weather. Has anyone else had the same problem? We end up putting the temp up to 85 to offset the cold air in order to have a defroster. And we run the fan at the highest level. I really do not think this is (normal). Dealer is kohen in marinette wi.
  • pamb2pamb2 Member Posts: 2
    That is Koehn in MArinette Wi.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If we can look into this with your dealership, we would be happy to do so by setting up a Service Request. Please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds username, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN w/ current mileage.
    Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 08enclaveowner08enclaveowner Member Posts: 1
    My '08 Enclave has been a complete lemon. We are one of the first owners in May 2007. HORRIBLE vehicle. Multiple issues. CURRENTLY, June 2011 in shop for AC not working. Service could not find leak. I had to pay $130 to add a pound of freon. April 2012, out again. Could not find leak. Another $100 to add 2 pounds of freon. Leaked this morning in garage, back into shop. Heard there are 17 vehicles with the same problem nation-wide. Has anyone had any luck getting a resolution from Buick. I tried Customer Service, and the rep just phoned dealer to get info. Nothing new. I am so frustrated with this vehicle. It is always in the repair shop. Out of warranty and on ME.
    08enclaveowner,
    I apologize for your frustrations and concerns. Can you please email me directly with your case number (If you have it) and your VIN to SocialMedia@GM.com. I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mcompmcomp Member Posts: 4
    They will occur again, for it happened to me. I just got back from a trip through the San Bernardino heat and the A/C was not working as you mentioned. Nothing I did made it work. I switched the fan to high, turned on and off to see if that would work and took the auto feature off, but nothing. 106 degrees and climbing and no A/C is definitely a concern. I just got a call from the dealer and they state it will cost me $1,300 to fix. That is no chunk change.
    I feel your pain. My Enclave was in the shop 7 times for the A/C and at 66K miles was on its third transmission. GM didn't care one bit. It was a beautiful car and I loved it but practicality made me trade it in last September for a nice reliable Ford Edge. I will never buy GM again!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    What year is your Enclave, mcomp? If we can look into this further with you, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at socialmedia@gm.com (please include your name/Edmuds username, description of the situation, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mcompmcomp Member Posts: 4
    Hi Sarah,

I responded to the email address you provided with the information you requested. Thank you for being proactive here in this forum and hope the information I included helps.