Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave AC Problems

Comments

• mcompmcomp Member Posts: 4
    I am so ecstatic right now and have to commend on the great way GM and their staff assisted and handled this issue for me. Soon after I commented on the A/C issue I had while driving though the San Bernardino heat, I received an email from Sarah asking for more information to be posted in the socialmedia@gm.com site, so I did. I just got a call back today and they will assist me with this issue and the cost will not even come close to what I posted. I am so happy that I can use that money to pursue original plans to get my wife the Buick Verano she likes so much over the July 4th holiday, rather than spending it on the A/C issue. I was thinking twice about it when this issue came up, but if GM is going to have our backs as customers, then they sure as heck have my loyalty. Thank you GM, Sarah and all those involved for your assistance.
  • mcompmcomp Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Sarah and Christina for your time and effort in assisting me with this issue. You have truly made my day.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Yay! We're happy to have been able to assist and I will pass your kind remarks on to Christina as well.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rjlukerjluke Member Posts: 7
    I am having similar problems to those posted in this thread. I have a 2008 Enclave that I bought used with ~ 30,000 miles on it. At 49,000 miles the power steering pump failed, but was still under warranty. Just after 50,000 miles, we noticed the AC wasn't working properly. The air coming out of the vents wasn't as cold as it should be. On longer trips, the AC would start out fine, then the air would gradually become warmer and warmer. Along with the elevated air temps, the flow would gradually decrease until little to no air was coming out of the vents. Even with the system in manual, the air flow could not be increased despite increasing the fan setting to maximum. I took the vehicle into the dealer at 53,000 miles and they could find nothing wrong except the freon level was low. They recharged the system and added a dye to check for leaks in the future. The AC worked fine for a short period of time. After 2-3 weeks and a few more miserable long trips with symptoms identical to what has already been described I brought the vehicle back to the dealer again. They could find no leaks, but the freon level was again very low. They recommended the front evaporator coil be replaced to the tune of $2,000. They stated this wasn't even guaranteed to fix the problem. It's a best guess. That is a lot of money to spend on a hunch. My wife and I are still debating what to do. We are extremely frustrated that an '08 is having this many problems. It's also quite unsettling that a vehicle just removed from warranty needs such a costly repair. We're strongly considering taking the vehicle to auction as is and buying a new Mazda CX-9, Toyota Highlander, or Honda Pilot. I may never buy a GM vehicle again. I love how the Enclave looks, but it has really been a lemon for the 18 months that we've owned it.
  • vickiefontainevickiefontaine Member Posts: 15
    I also loved this car....the most beautiful car I had ever owned. Mine was an 08 model but I bought it used in 08 with 19K miles on it. It was in the shop 7 times for the AC and I was on my third transmission. It was just an on-going battle and it got to the point where I didn't trust it to go anywhere other than short distances as I wasn't sure it would get me there. I was fortunate in that I never had to pay for any of my repairs as they were covered under warranty. I don't know what I would have done if they had not been covered. After 3 years, I traded mine in last September with 66K miles on it for a 2007 Ford Edge with 37K miles on it. I don't love it the way I loved the Enclave as it's not as roomy but it drives just fine and I have had no problems at all with it. Good luck!
    We're sorry that you've had to make several trips to the dealership for the HVAC system. If we can look into this further with you and your dealership, we would like to get a Service Request going. Please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com if you are interested: Your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • whatsnextwhatsnext Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2008 Buick Enclave that I purchased used with 31,000 miles in 2011. I was assured it was a certified used car. I have had nothing but problems with it starting at about 40,000 miles with the steering column squeaking real bad. What has been my most expensive car purchase in my life has been the mistake of my life. Thank God I purchased an extended warranty, because I had to have the steering column replaced. Then right after that, my car would shift out of gear while idling at a traffic light. It would stay that way. I was told it was a sensor, that was replaced. Then 3 weeks later the same thing happened again. This time a DIFFERENT sensor. These were covered under warranty as well. NOW, for the past 3 weeks, I have been having issues like everyone else with the AC. The AC light starts blinking then shuts off, but fan keeps running, or stops running altogether if I am sitting in park or idling for more than 4 or 5 minutes. This is the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I had to take my daughers car on a road trip because I was afraid mine would break down. It seems to me that GM needs to step up to the plate and recall all these Enclaves because they are aware these issues exist. I have owned several GM products over the years, with little or no issues, but unless my local dealership practically gives me a new car, I more than likely will not own a GM product ever again.
    whatsnext,

I can imagine these multiple concerns that have come up have been frustrating for you, and I'm sorry that this has been your Enclave experience so far. Are you still within your warranty to get the AC fixed? If we can look into anything, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at socialmedia@gm.com (include the last 8 digits of your VIN as well as your name and Edmunds username).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • pclaypclay Member Posts: 10
    I sold mine some time ago. I just couldn't rely on the car. I did take a beating on the sale but very happy not to still own the thing. It is rediculous that several dealers told me that they had never heard of the AC problem!

Vote with your checkbook....don't buy GM again!
  • kidnappedkidnapped Member Posts: 3
    I’ve got a similar issue with my ’08 Enclave here in Arizona.

In the summer a few years ago, my son had fallen asleep when driving to the Phoenix Zoo. Instead of wake him up my wife just parked and idled the Enclave with the A/C running. After a while the air flow coming out of the front vents got slower and slower, until there minimal air coming out the front vents. (similar to instanced described earlier in the thread). After turning the car off and letting it sit for a few hours the A/C worked fine again.

It happened again shortly after that on a summer drive from Prescott back to Phoenix. (about a 2hr drive). About an hour into the drive the front vents again slowing began to loose air flow, with the fan speed selection having no effect on the flow.

After this incident is when I discovered this Edmunds thread, and took the car to the dealer. The dealer couldn’t reproduce the problem, but make sure the system was charged with refrigerant. After reading this thread, we make sure that the AUX climate control is always on when we drive (and make sure that our young children haven’t messed with the rear temperature settings by bumping up the rear of the vehicle by +10degrees). After doing that, we haven’t had an issue for quite a while until yesterday.

It was around noon, outside temp ~100deg, humidity ~25% (first humid day of the summer). We I turned on the car, the air coming out of the front vents was warm and wouldn’t cool down. The AUX button was enabled, and the temperature setting in the back of the vehicle was +0deg. It took 15min for air to come out of the front vents to be cooler than the outside air temperature. The car then parked for 1 hour. After that hour, on the drive home (10min) the A/C never cooled down. I drove it again 3 hours after that (4pm, 110deg), and the front A/C blew cool immediately upon startup of the vehicle, and was basically “normal” throughout the 20min drive I was checking out the A/C.

On thing that I did notice in trying to debug this latest A/C issue is that the air blowing out of the back vents was warm(not cold), when:
    - the front vents were blowing cold
    - the AUX button was enabled
    - the rear temp setting was set to +0deg.

(I feel bad, I think I’ve been blowing warm air on my kids for a while now, but they’re too young to know that that is a problem or something out of the ordinary)

The first issues to me seem like and engineering/design problem. Maybe the latest is just a maintenance/broken part issue. But with the quirkiness of the A/C on this car, you wonder if you fix something if you’re really fixing the problem.

So, I’m off to the dealer in inquire. What’s bad now is that the Enclave has 60K miles and is out of warranty.

I'll also send an email off to Sarah at socialmedia@gm.com.
  • pclaypclay Member Posts: 10
    We live in the U.P. and never had the A/C problem here. Only when we drove south towards Florida did we experience the problem. In one instance I found that, after feeling warm air, I stopped and found that the A/C coil was frozen. River's of water drained off the car, then .5 hour later, the A/C worked. This was not a charge problem! I believe it is/was a design flaw which GM never admitted to! I think there is a chance that they modified parts, so later models don't have the same issue? Mine was an 08.
    I caught the last line of your post - glad you're going to get in touch with us! My coworker Christina answers inbound emails, so I would say to expect to hear back from her on Monday the 2nd of July. I will leave her a note to keep an eye out for you! :)

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • renee51renee51 Member Posts: 3
    I just found this site as I was researching a problem with my AC that I was having with my 2008 Buick Enclave CXL. I have had the same issues as many of you have noted, especially rjluke(post # 107). This has been the most expensive purchase I have made for a car! I bought it used Feb 2011. 2 weeks after purchase, our fuel pump went out. Then I had breaks changed and had issues with them. Then steering wheel starting making a strange noise and had to get the rack and pinion replaced. Then later had to get something else replaced in connection to my steering(the power steering casing maybe?). Then had a seal leaking oil and had to have my engine pulled and the seal replaced. I was told I had a full warranty on the car when I got it then found out later from a Buick dealership that it was limited and only for a short time did I have it available.
    I drove fromTn to Va shortly after buying the car (summer of 2011) and noticed the air getting warmer in my car. I tried turning the fan up and it did nothing. I have asthma and hot humid air is a trigger. I got to Va. and no dealership was open. I stopped to let my car sit for a while and went in to a restaurant cause I could not breathe. When I came out it was working again. I took it to the dealership in Knoxville, (Rice Buick) and they said they could not find anything wrong and were not familiar with the problem. My car was under warranty at this point. It did it another time as I was driving around showing homes (I am a Realtor). Took it again to the dealership the next day and again, they said they could find nothing wrong.
    This summer, it has already happened to me again, but of course after hours of the dealership and I am of course out of warranty now.
    I am getting ready to make another trip to Va and am worried to death that my AC will go out again. I agree with others that say there should be a recall on this. I also notice that my AC drains a lot of water from under my car. This cannot be right. I feel like something is freezing up. It is like my blower just stops. I can hear the AC running but no air is coming out. I would also appreciate any help from Buick!!
    Contact GM and have them open a case file for this. The more people that bring this issue to GM's attention, the more likely they are to issue a recall. I think there are some major design issues and/or manufacturing defects with this vehicle (the 2008 model in particular). Power steering, AC, leaky sunroofs just to name a few. A vehicle in this price range shouldn't be having so many major failures in the first 50-60,000 miles. It's not acceptable.

Be ready to get wait a long time for any satisfaction however. I am still working with a GM rep trying to get this issue resolved. It is taking forever! I haven't had AC in my vehicle for nearly a month now during one of the hottest summers on record. It's not very pleasant to get inside this vehicle after it's been parked outside all day where I work. Not much cooling to be had with the windows down when it's 100 degrees outside.

Until the AC issue is fixed, I have to cram my family into our 1999 Infiniti G20 to go anywhere. Great car by the way - never a single issue with it. It's a 1999! The 2008 Buick Enclave has been a huge disappointment thus far. GM needs to step up and stand behind this vehicle and all its problems or consumers will avoid GM products and tell anyone else who will listen to do the same.
  • vickiefontainevickiefontaine Member Posts: 15
    I opened a case file for my 2008 Enclave and it got me nowhere. I specifically asked my rep to let me speak to his supervisor and he basically told me that there was no one else I could talk to. I told him that unless he was the president/CEO of GM, then there should be someone above him I could speak with. I was never given the chance to talk to a higher up. I even received an email from another rep telling me that GM would not discuss the issue with me anymore. My 2008 Enclave was in the shop 7 times for the A/C and I was on my 3rd transmission when I finally got fed up last September and traded it in for a Ford Edge which has given me no problems at all!
    I would love to trade mine in but I know we are upside down on it. I am just praying for a big real estate deal in which I can use my commission to pay the difference in a trade! I am really very disappointed in this car!
    Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns with your Enclave. If we can look into this matter with your air conditioning, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. We will set up a Service Request in our department and go from there.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thank you Sarah! I will get that to you as soon as I can!
  • furino2009furino2009 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased this car in December of 2010. Last summer I had noticed the air conditioner stopped working. I brought it to the dealership. They ran a dye test and could not find the leak anywhere. The re charged the air and it worked for the remainder of the summer. Flash forward to 3 weeks ago once again the air stopped working. It would only blow HOT air. I have 2 small children so this was not going to work. Once again I called the dealership but now I am out of the warranty by a little over 3000 miles. I brought the car to our local repair shop who works on my husbands company vehicles. Well let me say the nightmare began. The repair to get the air conditioner to work once again cost me $1680.50. I needed a new evaporator core which is located behind the front console of the car. The entire dashboard needed to be removed to repair the issue. The labor that went into fixing the problem was over 10 1/2 hours. I was without a vehicle for almost 3 weeks.

The money that I pay for my car and to have such a major issue is ridiculous. Never never again would I buy a GM car. I have brought this car in several times already. I had to bring it in for the steering wheel issue alignment issues tire issues and now the air conditioner. That is about all I can take.
    I have the exact same problem with my AC system. It died just after warranty expiration. This after the power steering pump failed at 49,000 miles. The dealer re-charged the freon and did the dye test. That lasted about a week. Brought it back in and they could not find a leak. Freon once again low. The dealer gave me an estimate of $1,675 to replace the front evaporator core, which they said "might" fix the problem. I haven't scheduled the repair yet. GM needs to pay for this and guarantee the repair will solve the problem. Having these major failures on a car with this many miles is unacceptable. I have a case file established with GM, which so far has gotten me nowhere. I'm still waiting for my case manager Tony to get the information he needs from my local dealer. He's been working on this for over 2 1/2 weeks - still "trying" to gather data. I've been trying to get in touch with him for the last three days, but he is not returning my phone calls. That is also unacceptable. I am running out of patience. It's beeen almost a month without air conditioning during a very hot summer. GM needs to issue a recall for this. There are way too many people having the same issue and all at about the same mileage. Either there is an engineering design flaw, poor quality parts, and/or a manufacuting defect with the AC system (as well as the power steering, which is another issue).
    I am sorry to hear that you have had so many difficulties with your Enclave, furino2009.

I see that your recent A/C work has been done at an independent, were your steering wheel alignment issues also addressed there? Do you have any current concerns with your Buick?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good Morning Sarah,

I could have brought the car to the dealership for the a/c to be repaired but I knew they would be more expensive than the independent station. To have to shell out that large amount of money is terrible. After reading all the posts about the a/c for this vehicle I don't understand why GM is not issuing a recall. There is obviously a serious problem that we the customers are dealing with.

All other issues were dealt with by my local dealership.
    Sorry to hear you are going through the same problem. I absolutely agree there should be a recall issued on this vehicle with the a/c. Just on this forum there are over 100 complaints about the 2008. Its horrific. Had I only known. I wish you luck. I too have contacted GM but I am sure I will not be reimbursed. Keep us posted
    I got contacted by GM yesterday. They agreed to pay for the lion's share of the repair for the front evaporator core on my Enclave. I'll be out $200, which they are calling a deductible. Sounds like a 'Secret Warranty' situation to me. I still think there should be a recall(s) on this vehicle for the various issues that consumers are enduring. I do appreciate GM pitching in on this repair. I am still uncertain about the long term reliability of the vehicle though. There are a lot of horror stories on this message board. Now I am hoping that the repair goes well and nothing gets screwed up in the process of taking the car apart and putting it back together. This vehicle was not designed for easy maintenance, that is for sure. The engine compartment is packed in so tight, every little repair is a major undertaking just to get to the faulty part(s).
    I certainly understand why you chose the independent. In regards to the decision making processes for issuing recalls, I am unable to speak to that as I am not a part of brand quality evaluations.

If you have any current vehicle concerns that you would like looked into, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at socialmedia@gm.com.

Have a great weekend,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sjsmootsjsmoot Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to be on blog to say I purchased 2008 Buick Enclave! Loved it! Always a GM buyer but my car with only 40,000 miles has had to have new power steering pump replaced and in 2011 service in JUne where they had to add freon which I thought was weird. end of June 2012 went on a trip and now AC does not work! AC does not work at all now and dash is VERY HOT to the touch. This is ridiciulous for a very expensive car. The warranty just ended!!!!!!! IS there a recal and if not there should be......? Help.
    I checked into the general information I have on the 2008 Buick Enclave and do not see any recalls related to the HVAC system. I'm sorry about this! What is your plan of attack in addressing this matter?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    At this point with all the complaints about the vehicle I truly feel cornered and will be contacting a lawyer for to open a Class Action Lawsuit against GM. I feel thats the only way we as consumers will be compensated.
  • gxwscragxwscra Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a certified used 2008 Enclave in 2011. It is the first time I purchased a GM vehicle, and I have to say I am very disappointed. GM certified used car is supposed to offer "new car confidence with a used car price tag", as advertised on GM website. What a joke! Within six months, both front and rear brake pads and rotors had to be replaced, transmission failed and had to be rebuilt, and then navigation and side mirrors were out of order and had to be repaired. I have seen many times the transmission stuck to the wrong gear, and of course when I complained to dealer, they didn't find anything wrong because they couldn't "replicate" the issue. The water pump failed recently, causing transmission to run over-heated and the engine to be shut down, so it had to be replaced. The steering wheel started to making some strange noise, which I was told by dealer that would cost me more than $1000 to repair. Now the AC is not working and stopped blowing cool air. I had to drive in this 100+ degree temperature without air conditioning. A dealer found leaking in rear AC lines, and quoted me about $1800 to replace them. I am really sick and tired of the poor quality of 2008 Enclave.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    gxwscra,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and concerns. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information including mailing address? I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • kidfreekidfree Member Posts: 1
    Im taking my GM certified 2008 Enclave which only has 22K miles to the GM Dealer tomorrow. Like everyone else on this thread my AC has stopped working. And I've had this vehicle for less than 90 days. But my bigger gripe came when we called to schedule the appt. The dealership rep said it might not be covered under the "BUMPER TO BUMPER" WARRANTY. How can this be? Can a GM rep or someone with relevant knowledge confirm this for me either way?
  • sjsmootsjsmoot Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your prompt response. This blog was very helpful. You were correct there are no recalls on AC. I have contacted GM and they have assigned a case number and arranged through a conference call with Buick dealer to have my car diagnosed tomorrow. I am waiting to hear from dealer tomorrow on the outcome. They were very helpful so will let you know the outcome.
  • buickowner2009buickowner2009 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 was just the opposite order. The solenoid for the AC went 6 months ago. The power steering pump just went. After the power steering repair I have a loud noise under the hood at every bump.
  • orangekeeperorangekeeper Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issues - ALL of them - on my 2008 Enclave with approx 31k miles.

AC: I had the same AC blower issue in 2011 - it was fixed by the dealer. Believed to be a potential electrical issue
    Fuel Pump: The car stopped working yesterday where it would stall and not start back up. Gas, oil, battery are all good. It's in the shop now and believed to be fuel pump
    Power Steering: The last time I had the oil changed, the tech said that the power steering was making a weird noise although the fluid was good
    Brakes: I noticed that there's some rubbing on my brakes

None of this should be happening on a vehicle with 31k miles!
    Is the fuel pump covered by the warranty?
    Hello orangekeeper,
    I see that your initial post here was from a few days ago - any updates on your progress at your shop (GM dealer or independent?) since then?
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • dinam1dinam1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am very upset and frustrated with GM it seems that they do not care about their products I see alot of people are having problems with the AC and GM does not take responsibility and recalls it my AC is blowing hot air on the passenger car I regret buying the Buick if I had know about the issues I would never have bought it I totally expected a great car and I am very disappointed with it. Gm does not want to cover the cost. I am very disappointed
  • beauchamp_jenbeauchamp_jen Member Posts: 1
    First off, I was so excited to have been able to purchase a 2008 used Buick Enclave about 6 weeks ago for our one car family. I felt like it was a perfect fit for my family.

Unfortunately last weekend the blower went out on our air conditioner. After reading on-line that it was a known problem, my husband took the blower out and we did, in fact, have rings of dried water marks in the bowl like cover). There was also rust on the blower itself so is obvious we have water damage.

We have all of the service records from the previous owner and have found out the blower has already been replaced and the front and back sunroofs have each been repaired once.

Now today, I noticed wet looking marks on the ceiling above the passenger seat. After touching, it seems to be some sort of grease.

I'm not sure what's going on with this. I'm frustrated to say the least considering the short amount of time we've owned the vehicle and considering we only have one car. I certainly hope Buick will step up and correct these issues considering they were issues before we even owned the car. I'm afraid what other problems we will face from these issues too (electrical, mold, etc.).
    Good morning beauchamp_jen,

We're sorry that you're having some difficulties with your new Enclave. What are your plans for getting this looked into? If you would like for us to look into anything further, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership).

• leashawnw2leashawnw2 Member Posts: 2
    Did you steal my car? I have had every issue you have described. Transmission out in the first 2 months. brakes needs to be replaced in 4 months. AC out, power steering out, struts out in the first 13 months, water pump out, and recall on rear wiper. on an average for every 2 months I OWNED THIS CAR I HAVE HAD TO SPEND AN EXTRA CAR NOTE TO REPAIR IT. What a SUPER LEMON. DO YOU KNOW HOW WE CAN ORGANIZE TO START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?
  • leashawnw2leashawnw2 Member Posts: 2
    PLEASE, don't buy this garbage! SAVE YOURSELF THE DISAPPOINTMENT AND MONEY!!!
  • liveinvegasliveinvegas Member Posts: 4
    After shopping for a luxury crossover in early 2010 I have to say my initial impression of the Buick Enclave was that it really stood out above the rest. I liked the styling, comfort, and ride that had us both saying it "drives like a Cadillac". Unfortunately for the Cadillac SRX, it didn't offer the room of the Enclave, which is important for my business use. I am a REALTOR®, Las Vegas Broker and salesperson and have national and international clientele for what would be consider higher end and luxury properties. So obviously I needed a vehicle that not only performed on that level, but would offer room and comfort for my clients. Banging heads and no leg room while viewing multiple homes didn't seem like an appropriate way to treat my customers. The Enclave did eliminate all the negatives I hoped to avoid, and many were both surprised and impressed from being in the vehicle. I'm sure that has resulted in some sales of the car, but now I must say I'm sorry if they were misled like I have been.

For my business use I normally would lease for 2 years, but unfortunately with the economy at the time, only four year leases were available from any company, if at all, which also exceeded the full warranty Buick offered. I was reluctant due to the this lengthy lease, but was assured this was a quality vehicle and it did have the longer powertrain warranty. As of now my reluctance has grown, due to issues with the car both on Buick's part as well as the dealership. In my business I provide quality and dependable service, something that has been very questionable with the Enclave. I can't afford to have a vehicle in the shop, often repeatedly for the same problems.

The first few months were fine, until summer and running the air conditioning. Not long after beginning to use it an awful moldy, musty smell would come from the vents. It would become so strong that it would burn both eyes and nose, and the only temporary cure was to open the car and run the heater. Not a pleasant situation in desert heat, or with clients in the car. We also noticed that there was no condensate dripping from the vehicle, suggesting that it could have a blocked drain line. We stated this to the dealership, as well as telling them we were aware there have been odor issues like this with the newer high efficiency AC coils, and Internet postings about it specific to the Enclave. We knew there was a chemical treatment available and being used to address the issue. I was without the use of my months-old car twice, both times the dealer service insisting it was the protective runner custom installed to protect the light tan carpeting. They said they had never heard of any AC odor problems or the chemical treatment. They must not have Internet service, it's not that hard to find. Strangely enough, this wasn't a vinyl smell, it was MOLD, and only came from the vents, not accumulating in the car when closed and sitting in the heat, as if caused from floor mats. Finally on the third return for this problem the dealership suddenly knew of the treatment and performed it. While it was an another overwhelming chemical odor for a few days, it did seem to eliminate the mold smell for some time and amazingly now we were seeing some condensate.

Not being used in the cooler months, as time went on the moldy smell did return, although nowhere near as pungent. Rather than more multiple visits for this issue we've found a work-around of turning off the circulation of cabin air as much as possible. Unfortunately this can be a battle here in the desert as the automatic climate system keeps reverting the outside air back to cabin air.

For several months that was the only vehicle problem we faced. I did make the mistake of doing the prepaid dealership maintenance, which for a simple oil change with an appointment can leave me without the use of my Enclave for hours to all day, and juggling my own transportation. I wonder how these 15 minute oil change places can do it, even without an appointment, and a large dealership can turn it into a several hours long or all day event. To be fair, a shuttle has been offered, but in my business it does me no good. I need transportation to multiple locations and why I need a reliable vehicle in the first place. I thought the Enclave would achieve that, but it has proven me wrong.

It was after one of the next dealer oil changes that I experienced my next service issue. Even after driving the 7 miles to my home, oil was dripping on my freshly painted garage floor. Understand that this was two color, custom painted, an expensive addition to a 1400 sf completely finished garage that is heated and air conditioned. Needless to say it was upsetting for more reasons than one. Not only for the fresh paint, but that a relatively new car with low miles is leaking oil. The dealership blamed it on the vehicle, stating that Enclaves leave oil on the 'rails' when changing oil, a design flaw I assume. They did offer to clean the oil from the car. This meant yet another return to the dealership the next day and being unable to use the car again for hours, causing me to make other transportation arrangements and reschedule appointments.

When picking up the car I also was told about how much time they spent and 2 cans of cleaner used. What? Should I feel grateful for them cleaning the mess THEY made? I didn't see anyone cleaning my garage floor, placing a drip pad underneath, or having to address my time loss, inconvenience and schedule changes, and the time and expense of another round trip to the dealership. This oil spill did make me aware to check under my vehicle, which will come into play with a future issue.

The electrical problems started next. While intermittent and not appearing worthy of more of my time lost at the dealership, they grew to be extremely annoying. On occasion the radio wouldn't shut off when the door opened. The buttons on the radio, while hardly used with having the those operations available from the steering wheel, began to stick. Then the black finish started to peel from the button leaving a large green illumination when the lights were on. Besides the unsightly appearance this was a night driving distraction.

At times repeatedly opening and closing the door would turn the radio off. When that didn't work the only solution was to manually turn off the radio, leaving the dash illuminated, and manually turning the radio back on when restarting the vehicle. At other times a chime would go off for no reason, often with keys removed and exiting the car. Needless to say this became a laughable, head-shaking quality issue for both myself and my clients.

Fearing that it would cause more interruptions to my schedule I waited until the next oil change to have these problems addressed. Sadly, it turned out worse than I expected as it became 3 visits to the dealership within a week. On the first I was told I
    On the first I was told I was 'lucky' that the buttons were sticking on the radio as "Buick would no longer replace radios for cosmetic issues". So much for Buick's supposed 'bumper to bumper warranty'. Doesn't that say so much, that they aren't willing to back a $40,000 luxury vehicle for an obvious manufacturing defect that apparently they've experienced and 'are no longer' rectifying. I'd suppose that if the paint peeled off the car in just 2 years, it's only a cosmetic issue, that would be tough luck for the owner.

We had figured that the radio both not turning off and it's replacement would be yet another trip to the dealership. This because they would most likely have to order the radio and the switch in the door that we were certain was the issue. On picking up the car, as expected, it would have to return for the radio, but was told that they had 'reprogrammed' the computer and no parts were needed to repair the radio not shutting off. We knew this wasn't the case, but what is your choice? Yes, pulling into the garage at home, turn off the car, open the door and the radio is still on.

Returning again to have the radio replaced, and for it to actually turn off, astonishingly another issue was found! The timing cover was leaking... or was it? How you notice that a timing cover is leaking when changing a radio inside a car is a little beyond me. Remember, this wasn't noticed while under the car for an oil change just days before, it's while inside the car for a radio change. The other thing is that since the previous oil change spill we monitor the garage floor and not a drop has been there. Again, but what do you do? This is a dealership saying that it needs replaced and you surely don't want to refuse it and have it become a warranty issue...or should I say excuse for not covering some future problem. So when picking up the vehicle I had to reschedule another appointment. I was told that it would take a day and a half, an overnighter, so they would furnish a rental car this time. I was also assured that the radio shutoff was now fixed. Of course it still wasn't.

Returning for the timing cover leak I again let them know of the radio not shutting off. Of course this would be fixed this time, for sure! Third time is a charm, right? Well I went to the dealership's Enterprise rental and low and behold to replace my luxury vehicle I was offered a Chevy HHR. Of course I could 'upgrade' to an Imapala for an extra $10 a day at my own expense. Oddly enough when we take the family Cadillac in for any service and a rental car is provided, also through Enterprise, it's another luxury vehicle, some type of Cadillac no less, and at no additional charge.

Amazingly my nearly 2 day repair was able to be completed the same day! How, I have no idea. It can take that long to change oil, let alone disassemble and reassemble the front of an engine. Yet another schedule juggle to go pick up the car early. Although I must say it was welcome to get out of the rental. The HHR was like driving a noisy enclosed gocart with hard seats that equal the plastic chairs you might find in a bowling alley. Of course I am once again assured that all is well and the radio now shuts off. Ahh no, it doesn't.

In spite of everything stated as being repaired, to my surprise a few days later I am left a message that my part is in to repair my radio! What? What part? I was told everything was fixed and nothing about a parts order or having to return AGAIN. I'm told it's a replacement door lock solenoid, which doesn't sound like it's the latch switch which is apparently the problem. By this point one has to wonder if this is compete incompetence or a way to milk warranty money from GM. All at the customers expense and inconvenience, of course.

This is all occurring at one of my busiest times of year. I can't afford any more downtime, so I chose to wait until the next oil change. Unfortunately now that I am able to use the car again I have the time to discover all the new problems that were created form the 'repairs'. In addition to the radio not shutting off, the random door chime well after a door is open, on occasion the interior lights don't come on when opening the driver's door. Then the bluetooth is now working intermittently, and my spouse's phone is no longer even listed as being paired with the car, it just vanished. He does the pairing again and it works....sometimes. Yes a call comes in for either of our phones, the number appears on the dash, and when you attempt to answer it disconnects from the car...more often than not. The same when making outgoing calls. Go through the 'call', 'name tag', 'yes', 'calling', then it may ring once if you're lucky and disconnect from the car. It's not the phone dropping the call as it may still be connected, just not to the bluetooth. If you are lucky enough for it to be working and need to transfer the call to the phone when exiting, that may not work as it did in the past. You either can be tethered to the car until you complete the call, or ask if you can call back because your stupid car now won't disconnect from the phone.

Funny how we don't have this issue in the Cadillac or that the bluetooth worked for over 2 years in the Enclave without a problem, yet now the dealership is claiming that it's our phones that are the culprit, and that their bluetooth works well with Iphones and Blackberry, but not with other brands. Really? You've GOT to be kidding me. Besides it being dangerous, it's a state law in NV that you can only use a hands free device, but my luxury Buick suddenly can't connect to a phone and it's a my phone's problem. Two of them, no less. If this is true it would seem that Buick should inform potential customers that their vehicles require only certain brands of phones for them to actually be able to use this 'feature' of their vehicles.

Oddly enough the Buick online pairing guide lists other manufacturers of phones including the HTC brand of smart phones we use. Their listing of phones, even for 2012 model Enclaves, includes many phones that are no longer in production. I would have to assume that means that to use Buick bluetooth 'technology' when you don't have an Iphone or a Blackberry, you have to dig up an old phone. What the dealer and Buick are saying is after you've owned the Enclave for a while you'll need to ditch your up to date 4g touch screen smart phone and find that discarded Razor or some other old flip phone model on ebay if you want any hope of it connecting with your car.

Of course we're still not done, there's another problem. This with Onstar, a service that I PAY for. When using Onstar before the radio swap, the blower would reduce speed and the radio mute so you could communicate and hear the directions after being downloaded to your vehicle. Since the radio was changed the only time this happens is when connected to Onstar. Once the
    Of course we're still not done, there's another problem. This with Onstar, a service that I PAY for. When using Onstar before the radio swap, the blower would reduce speed and the radio mute so you could communicate and hear the directions after being downloaded to your vehicle. Since the radio was changed the only time this happens is when connected to Onstar. Once the directions are downloaded they are given with the radio at volume. The only way it can be heard is to turn the radio off, or you experience a dangerous situation of trying to follow directions in traffic that are mingled with the radio's audio.

The next issue was the flashing tire monitor with the "service tire monitoring system" message displayed. Scrolling through to tire pressure, the right front indicated NO air pressure, which obviously wasn't the case. Stopping to check it with a gauge, it was fine. Later it would go out and read pressure. Then it would come on again out of the blue. This cry wolf display became yet another random annoyance that occurred multiple times.

Today I returned the car to the dealership for another oil change and to have these issues addressed. The door lock actuator was supposedly replaced and now listed as it having been 'showing' inoperative. The door locks themselves have never been a problem, nor did it appear this was an issue that 'showed up' on the previous visits. I can't say at this time that this will solve the intermittent radio not shutting off, lights not turning on, or random chime, as I've only turned the car off once in returning it to the garage.

Today's service is also when I was told that the bluetooth problem is with our phones. The solution was that they've 'noted it' and will update the car, if any updates for our phones should be sent from Buick. The invoice states that it was paired with a tech's phone and it worked. No kidding? Ours will work at times, and then quit. It also states that they needed to check that our phones have the latest software. These are top of the line Android phones, that are much newer than the obsolete models listed on the Buick website. So in other words, we will continue to have random bluetooth connections with no resolution in sight... unless I want to buy new phones and/or change carriers to do so, or revert back to relic devices.

The problem with Onstar was noted on the invoice, but no mention of it listed as being addressed. When I called to see when my car would be ready I specifically asked if the Onstar issue was corrected and was assured it was. Of course I tried it on the way home from the dealership and nothing has changed, the volume remains the same and you can't hear the directions. I will call the dealership in the morning and notify them again that it failed to be corrected, but it appears useless to waste my time again to have another defect unresolved. If Buick will offer to guarantee a solution, fine, but I'm not holding my breath. Apparently even their bumper to bumper warranty is selective.
    The invoice also states that the customer requested a multi-point inspection, which I never did. An added service? Perhaps, but it seems they didn't notice that the bottoms of the door mouldings for both front doors, 'attached' to the front of the rear doors, are dangling loose. This wasn't noticed when changing the door lock solenoid inside the front driver's door. How effective is this inspection when items like this aren't noticed when right in font of them?

It's right up there with these annoyance issues. If they can't figure out how to repair a radio not shutting off, a bluetooth that won't connect, or an issue with an Onstar system, how on earth will they repair a more serious electrical problem? What if the car just quits? Will it be in the shop for days, weeks, months? Or will they just give it back and say "Buick no longer covers problems they can't figure out?"

I recently received a letter from the dealership that my warranty will be expiring soon, in early 2011, and that I can purchase an extended warranty. I guess they must feel that with all the ongoing issues I must really need it, and I should pay even more for the privilege of them wasting more of my time, more loss of use of the vehicle, and all to have the same problems either repeat or not be remedied at all.

At this point I feel it better to research my options of getting out of the lease early and shopping other brands. It's a shame that the rumored Cadillac SRX stretched model to compare with the Enclave isn't available, as it appears Cadillac is more concerned about their owner's experience. While I have wanted to buy American and have been a longtime customer of GM vehicles, I may have to resort to turning to imports.

I more than understand that any vehicle from any manufacturer will need service, have a problem, or may even have a recall. It's a shame that Buick has what appears to be a winning design, yet has these quality issues that are just left hanging. When the Enclave has worked as it's supposed to, I have no complaints at all and would buy one again. Comfortable, quiet ride, plenty of power, and all the features I could need. Unfortunately the features only work when they want to, and apparently there is no correction available, or without multiple service downtime and inconvenience.

I've been led to believe that both Buick and the dealership are more focused on ignoring problems or excusing them away, forcing customers to live with their mistakes, taking the loss and having to endure the aggravation. I assume from their actions they expect that I should just feel fortunate that the Enclave still runs at all, and simply forget all those luxury 'features and technology' that I'm paying for.

I could never imagine treating my own customers this way.
    We can certainly appreciate why you're frustrated and disappointed after the many issues you've described in these posts, liveinvegas. Have you worked with Customer Assistance to get this addressed? If we can look into this with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information, including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• ashley30ashley30 Member Posts: 1
    Hi livesinvesgas, please do not feel alone in your frustration with your Buick Enclave! I too have experienced a rash of problems with my brand new 2012 Enclave. My Enclave had about 1000 miles on it when I started noticing a white smoke coming out of my tailpipes. I was told that this was condensation burning off of the tailpipes. I am not an expert but I do believe you should not be burning condensation off of the exhaust after 40 mins. Of driving. The smoke coming out of the tailpipes is white and is more than the norm. I took it in for its first service and when I drove the car off of the lot it look like I was spraying for Mosquitos. It was blowing a huge amount of smoke out of both tailpipes . I was told it was due too overfill. Hmmmm . The dealership took the vehicle back and cleaned up the overfill. They told me that if it smoked anymore to let them know. Of course the very next day the Enclave began smoking. I called the dealership and was told once again it was condensation. they said they had a memo on the condensation!Anyway two days later I was pulling out of my driveway and once again it was smoking. I told my husband and of course he just shrugged his shoulders. I got 3 miles down the road and my Enclave started to shudder and smoke and then shut off. I guess they didn't get the memo on that one . My 2012 Enclave with 7000 miles on it was towed into the dealership. The dealership found a fouled spark plug and fouled coil. When I asked what could possibly could cause that in a new Enclave that had no Ansewer. They told me that they test drove the car and had no problems with it. They told me to call them if I experience anymore problems with the 2012 Enclave. Of course I called them the very next day to inform them the car is still smoking. Their response was that I could drop my car off over night and they could set it next to another Enclave and see if they burn the exhaust condensation the same way. Never heard of that test. Not only does my car still smoke but it still feels like it is misfiring . I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope and pray that my car does not break down again. I did not mention that the inside of my tailpipes have a lot of carbon build up. I would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing this with their new Enclave. I too use to own a Cadillac CTS. No problems what so ever!
    ashley30,

We're terribly sorry to hear that you have had to make so many visits to your dealership on your new Enclave. Have you opened a Service Request with Customer Assistance on this matter? If we can do so for you to look into this further, please email socialmedia@gm.com with more information, including your name and Edmunds username, a summary of the situation, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• dgmockdgmock Member Posts: 3
    The front AC evaporator on my 2009 Enclave was recently replaced by my dealer at 68,000 miles (major three-day repair job). Since then, the heater/AC system just doesn't regulate between heat and cool. For the first five minutes or so after starting from a cold start, the heater blows so hot we can't stand it. Then it cools down to where it gets really chilly, then after another ten minutes or so starts blowing really hot again. It never, ever, did this before the AC repair. The dealer screwed up several other things when he did the AC work, but he says the heater/AC system is working like it's supposed to. Anyone else having a similar problem? Thanks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dgmock,

We're sorry to hear that you have concerns with your HVAC system after having repair work done on your Enclave. If we can follow up on this with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name a contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• jdkorenjdkoren Member Posts: 1
    I haven't read through most of the thread but I'm sure we are all sharing the same problems as far as our electrical, AC, heating with the Buick Enclave.

We own the 2011 Buick Enclave and during the summer months the AC blows in the front but in the back it blows out heat onto my child. I had no idea this was happening until one day I sat in the back with her. Took it into the dealer where we purchased the car and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now, that it's winter it's doing the opposite. Heat blows up front but cold air in back. Took it back to the dealer and service department couldn't find anything wrong, again. So, we took it to another dealer for a second opionion. They too couldn't find anything wrong with it and did mention that I've only got 16oz of freon.

This is a complete hazzard to a childs health to be poured heat on a hot summers day in a hot car and cold air when it's freezing temps all around.

Have any of you experienced the same? I'm at a lost as to what to do...

Thanks.