Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Trailer towing with Town Car

endrakeendrake Member Posts: 2
I own a 97 Town Car & just installed a class III hitch. I intend to tow up to 3000 lbs over fairly long distances. Other forum discussions suggest a transmission cooler would be helpful. Anybody have experience with the air suspension with towing? I've seen ads to convert air suspension to traditional springs. Is that necessary or a good idea for towing purposes?

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    We've owned a 17' SeaRay since 1983 & when we purchased our new 94 TC, a Class IV hitch was installed AND a 10,000 lb transmission cooler.

Boat, trailer, & fuel = 3,500 lbs

The TC has a little over 140,000 miles and the only running gear needing replacement were the gears in the differential at 99,000.

The air suspension has held up the tongue weight w/o any problems and the transmission is still untouched except for regualr changing of oil and filter.

Slow starts and stops, smooth running acceleration while towing helps the mechanicals last. We tow in O/D on the level and when anticipating steep mountain climbing we usually do it in the cool of the early morning. On our way South to Lake Shasta we crossed over the Siskiyou summit very soon after dawn.

The 94 TC has towed the boat into Canada several times and all over the NW.

When pulling up a steep ramp, I lock it into 1st gear & go slow.

In summary, stay with the factory air suspension and above all have a transmission cooler installed. What is your expected tongue weight? Keep it as light as possible.
  • endrakeendrake Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the details and all the good advice. My expected trailer + trailer cargo weight is max 3000 lbs. Given that, TC empty with hitch is 3850, 2 passengers 400, TC cargo 500, trailer tongue weight 450 (15% of 3000), for a total of 5200 lbs. This is just under the TC GVWR of 5335. So I will have the transmission cooler installed and remember you're driving suggestions. Thanks again.
    You're welcome, however, I'm a little concerned over the tongue weight and trunk weight on the air suspension. If you can off load some of the trunk weight into the trailer & somehow lower the tongue weight by 50%, your air suspension will be more likely to maintain. It was designed to labor with 3 in the back seat and 6 golf clubs. Safe travels to you. :)
  • mrclean5mrclean5 Member Posts: 4
    I have replaced the air suspension shocks on the rear of my 1999 Towncar and want to pull a small 22 foot RV trailer I hope this possible does anyone truly know what is really possible for a Towncar can pull?
    Our 94 Signature has been pulling a boat & trailer weighing a little over 3,000 lbs since it was new. It is recommended you install an auxillary transmission cooler and not a little one either.

What is the weight of your trailer as you don't say?

As to the hitch, be sure it is not a light duty model. Consider a Class IV.

A conservative driving technique will get you a lot of future miles. :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Also, remember that it isn't just the going, it's the stopping too. Does the trailer have breaks? (and, as euphonium mentioned, the weight is important.)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews