Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• starsmylesstarsmyles Member Posts: 7
    If you can bring your equinox back and get another vehicle DO IT! I drove my equinox 2000 miles since I bought it in feb 2011... Been in the shop otherwise ...worse car I have ever seen. Best of luck to you :lemon:
  • raynman10raynman10 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2010 NOX with 50M and really wish I wasn't writing because I like the car. I am 6'6" and fit well in front or BACK seat! Also the service manager Bob at Novato, CA Chevy is a great and helpful guy.
    My troubles started almost immediately. At 10M it was sounding like the engine was going to blow. When I got to the dealer I was almost out of oil after only had 5 or 6M on the change. I have been using about a qt every 1100 or so miles mostly ever since. My lumber has broken twice and was fixed both times even though the 2nd time was after 36M. My steering box had the sticky problem and was fixed only because the service manager Bob drove the car home, about an hour commute to recreate the problem. That problem has now come back after 4M! I have always had the rough start with high RPM (1200) any time the car sits for several hours even in warm weather. As I read the posts it seems that this could be related to my oil consumption problem and the high pressure fuel pump failing and leaking fuel into oil. Funny because the dealership said my problem was fuel contamination and switch gas stations! It is inconvenient for me to go to a dealership out of town to continue to have my oil checked. I don't understand why they don't check plugs and see what's up?
    I also complained about the fact that I was loading the back and my knee went though the deck! Twice! It is just thin plastic and was not covered, cheap.
    I would be much angrier if the service manager wasn’t so dedicated to making me happy. I am sorry he has such an uphill task.
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Member Posts: 13
    Had fuel pump replaced last month, 63K. Yesterday, engine started ticking, checked oil, no oil on dip stick. The oil was changed Feb 14. Dealer said probably needs new engine! Got a rental, will hear final analysis next week.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner, jpol4!

In the time since your post, have you been able to find a solution to the stalling condition you described? Don't hesitate to get in touch with us (socialmedia@gm.com) if you would like for us to pursue this further with you (please include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your dealer and a description of the visits you have made).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm sorry I didn't check in sooner, jec10. Sometimes the tool we use to catch posts on the different social media sites we work on doesn't catch everything.

It looks as though you've had your vehicle back for over a week - how has everything been running?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Have you ever contacted the Customer Assistance Center, starsmyles? Do you have any cases open with them (71-**********)? If we can get one going for you, let us know!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    raynman10,

I'm sorry that you have encountered so many difficulties with your Equinox. Have you worked with Customer Assistance already? We can get a case going for you if you haven't. Let us know!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Looking forward to hearing more about what the dealership finds on your Equinox, nailsgirl. If we can be of any assistance in the meantime, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah
    No, I have not. Only with Bob at Novato Chevy. I am taking it back again Monday for the two issues described above: oil consumption at about 1 qt every 12oo miles and the steering is sticking again during long highway drives. I really like the car, roomy front and back, great MPG but the troubles are mounting up. I am 63 and have never had an experience like this. What is the difference with a case vs using the dealership?
    Ray
  • kwnoxcakwnoxca Member Posts: 8
    I've also got the sticky steering feeling. Here is the "INCREDIBLE EXPLANATION" from the GM mechanic:
    "It is absolutely possible that you are experiencing a condition which is normal to the Electric Powersteering system (EPS). The sensation and experience is much different in ways then old conventional Hydraulic systems."
    I am suprised that I have driven this car under the abnormal condition for 2 yrs, and just recently felt the "normal" sticky steering. My car only has 20K and is mostly used for carrying my 2yr old daughter. I would think it is a potential risk of safety.
    Does anyone here have luck in fixing this issue? SERIOUSLY :confuse:
  • rski43rski43 Member Posts: 13
    The oil consumption problems all seem to be on the 2.4 4 cyl, does anyone know if the 3.0 v-6 direct injection engine has similar issues?

I use a quart every 1200 or so w/ present 2010 2.4.
  • carguy05carguy05 Member Posts: 30
    Does not sound normal to me. I have a 2010 4cyl Nox 42,000 miles and only use 1 quart every 2500/3000 miles.
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    GM has already acknowledge this problem by publishing a technical bulletin (I don't know the number), the cause of this was in the gear box, ask them to replace the gear box and the problem will go away (my GM dealer fixed mine). You need to publish the name of your dealership to expose utmost incompetence, or they simply don't give a damn for customers once a vehicle is sold?
  • momof1plus1momof1plus1 Member Posts: 3
    Sadly, it looks like this is a common story. My 2010 Equinox was purchased new. I have a long commute and was attracted by the gas mileage. I now have 91K miles on it

Since buying my car, I am on my 3rd fuel pump, 2nd timing chain and now, due to it overheating for no apparent reason last week, I'm getting a new engine. The thing sounded worse than an old school diesel. The first time my fuel pump went, I had to fight to get it covered. They let me off with just paying $50. Second time they covered it completely- because it was within 12 months of the first one going. This time everythign is covered under powertrain.

The best part this time- the only thing the dealership has for me to drive is a giant minivan with 250K miles on it. Last time it was a Jeep Liberty that was clearly used for food runs by the service staff- evidenced by the amount of fast food wrappers my husband cleaned out of it.

And before anyone asks- yes, I've talked to the wonderful folks at Chevy Customer Care. I get a call about every other day. We never seem to reach each other though- just play a lot of phone tag. I am beyond done with this car. We were looking at buying a Chevy Cruze, but I think I will test drive the Ford Focus for good measure.
    Hello Ray,

I am truly sorry that I didn't respond to your post sooner! Sometimes the tool we rely on to catch posts across the different forums we monitor doesn't catch everything. I hope your appointment yesterday went well -- do you care to share any details?

A case with us would allow us to follow up with you to make sure you were satisfied, and to then take action to see if there are any other avenues we could explore if you weren't.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • esperinosesperinos Member Posts: 18
    I still have one 2010 and one Chevy Cruze, and so far no major problems, but recently got rid of my other 2010 Equinox because I really couldn't depend on it
    Being reliable after 2 major engine problems in a month. And, no, I didn't buy another Chevy or GM product.
    UPDATE!!!!
    Thanks to Bob Spomer, service mgr at Novato Chevy I am getting a new engine and new steering box in my NOX! This sure beats having to buy another car. In fact we ordered a Volt for my wife today after we received the news. It feels good to buy from a US company and have them stand behind the product.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You must have the same tool they use at the end of line to catch problems. Looks like neither works very well.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I believe the 3.0L V6 is based on GM's 3.6L V6 that was originally used in Cadillacs and is now found in many vehicles throughout GM's lineup. The 3.6L engine has a history of timing belt problems and oil consumption, usually at about 50k miles.
  • rski43rski43 Member Posts: 13
    JPF> The LFW 3.0L V-6 has timing chains, not belts. You may be thinking of another 3.0L from GM ??
  • 79corvette79corvette Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I have a 2010 Nox. Most of the problems I am having sound like everyone else. Had my POS in for oil consumption, engine noise (sounded like a diesel), poor fuel economy & poor shifting, the dealer to date has fixed NONE of the above except for the engine noise. They changed out some engine control thing for timing and replaced main bearings and connecting rod bearings at the same time. the rest of the problems are "acceptable" to GM. Yea? Well it's not acceptable to me. So with over 90,000 kms, I began to get the sticking steering. Went to the dealer, wanted to charge me over $700 to look over the POS. Meanwhile, all this stuff was recorded and attempted to be fixed before the Warranty ran out. GM customer care did NOTHING!, so I sent an email directly to the President of GM Canada. Next morning I got a call back from his assistant who said to take it back to the dealer, and they'd look after it.
    Soooooo. They fixed the steering by replacing the steering gear. Hope it's a perm fix, but not too optimistic. The rest of the things, still no solution. The dealer said they changed something on the cam, some solenoid and it should improve, so far, the range I normally get from a tank of fuel is unchanged. I don't think they have even opened the damn hood, they looked for leaks to explain the oil consumption and when I specifically explained that the sticking steering only becomes evident on long drives of more than an hour under highway conditions, the dealer came back and told GM Corp. that they could not reproduce the problem after a 15 minute drive in the city. Duh! Hello? are you hearing impaired?
    Will be speaking next week with Presidents assistant and have found evidence on this forum to explain the oil consumption. Apparently it's a problem with the gear box. Some GM bulletin somewhere says so.
    This is such a waste of time for each of us. This is BY FAR the worst experience and vehicle I have ever owned.
    Message to GM: You folks better tighten your financial belts, cause according to everything I am hearing about these sub-standard vehicles and the lack of concern for customer retention, you'll be back at the governments doorsteps looking for another handout. This time, I hope you all go down with your corporate ship. When I am in a position to get rid of my POS, i'll be going back to the imports. Their engineering standards are clearly much higher.
    Scott MacDonald
    Pissed Off Owner!
    Still no vehicle back from the dealership. They put the new engine in, but it wouldn't start. Uhhh, problem? Evidently they needed different cams (some obscure technical bulletin they found somewhere). So now we had to wait on those. At this point, I really don't care. They finally gave me a loaner vehicle so I told them to take their time. I'm really hoping it's right this time. Chevy Customer Care called- they were under the impression I had my car back and seemed surprised when I told them it was still at the dealership with issues. I'm trying to figure out the purpose of Chevy Customer Care. They just seem to be a middle man and I tend to have more info than they do.
    Meanwhile, I'll be test driving a Focus and Prius this weekend...
  • ajmcajmc Member Posts: 3
    2010 Equinox... heater just blowing cold air, then message center says engine over heating, no ac, idle engine, had towed to GM dealer ...worked on for several hours , tried new thermostat, still same problem....dealer no idea of cause ???? still looking .....any ideas out there ??? Thanks
    Had the same problem, dealer put a new water pump on. One month later it sounded like a diesel engine....now it is in the shop getting a new engine! Check your oil. I had no oil on the dip stik, and no warning lights, 66K miles. Tell the dealer that there is a lot of info on the web about these problems. They are covered under your warranty. good luck
    Same prob with my Nox. Dealer is replacing the engine. 66 K miles. They gave me a brand new Buick Regal to use. It has been 1 week, still haven't heard from dealer! How is your Nox?
    That's exactly what mine was doing. I couldn't even limp it home- had to trailer it. after being in the shop for almost 2 weeks, I just got it back yesterday with a new engine. Sounds great now, but I'm worried how long this will last.
    Has there been any progress since your last post, ajmc?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    What great news, and congratulations on your new Volt!
    Many happy miles!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    nailsgirl,

Have you heard anything yet?

If we can give your dealership a call to find out more about the progress, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 58mga58mga Member Posts: 8
    My Story..64000 km...Lumbar screws broke...fixed.
    126610 km-ABS/Stabilitrac light on....Replaced Front Wheel Bearing and Hub....not covered under warranty.
    140000 km ?? Timing Chain, Balance Shaft Chain and Water Pump....covered under warranty
    152441 km-Complained of Excessive Oil Consumption...Consumption Report opened
    152441 km-Replaced Left Front Sway Bar Link...not covered under warranty
    155618 km-CEL light on constantly....Catalytic converter replaced.....covered under Dealer goodwill warranty. CEL still on after.....Charcoal canister to be replaced...not covered under warranty.
    165222 km...Replaced left wheel Bearing...not covered under warranty
    177731 km...seat cover has come loose from original lumbar repair..fixed
    177731 Km...Manual shift button does not work....Broken wires from Switch.....Not repaired, not covered under warranty, $ 700 Approx to repair.
    178990 km...Dealer confirms oil consumption, will need to tear down engine and rebuild. All covered under warranty. 3 Weeks to do rebuild. Called to pick up, hour later called not to pick up. Engine making noise under load. Spun bearing damaged crank....another week.....

From the Work Order:
    ""Poor Retention on Piston Rings allowing oil into combustion chamber and burn oil. Found large amounts of coking on all valves, large amount of Carbon build up on piston and rings""

187000 km.....Right front Wheel bearing and Hub.......not covered under warranty

189000 km CEL flashes.......misfire # 2 cylinder...could be coil, could be a fowled spark plug ( 4 new spark plugs were not included in the engine rebuild ) Replace spark plug...$175 done

189950 km...CEL flashes.......to be continued..........

I will say thanks for the forum as it is what I used to convince my dealer to take me seriously about the oil consumption.

This is my first and will be my last GM product......my old solara still ticking at 450000 +
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    WOW..This is a huge GM Bashing Issue.....Enjoy your Solara and refer to consumer reports forging forward with your future car purchases!!!!! My 2010 Nox with 45K is still running well and saving me dollars on fuel; must have purchased a rare GM 2010 Nox!!!!!!! One must wonder if basic common sense and vehical service is the real issue with some owners issues!!! However; Glad to have the 100K Drive line Protection Plan; in the event these scary consumer issues become reality with my NOX!
  • heather39heather39 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2012
    I am so glad a friend led me to this site...it appears I am not alone in my Equinox saga. I am the not so proud owner of a 2010 Equinox with 120,000km....I have been on the back of a tow truck 5 times since November...had my car stalled 25 times on one drive home. I am a regular at the dealership...I am thinking they should put me on payroll for the amount of time I am there. My lovely SUV sounds like a MAC truck....stalls....grinds...you name it.
    November 2010- dealership replaced spark plugs...and claims they fixed...NOT
    December 2010- replaced oil filter....claimed they fixed...NOT
    December 2010- 12 fault codes show up after being towed for the second time...all cleared...they have no idea what is wrong.
    December 2010- another tow...topped up the oil as it was down 2.5 litres in 2 weeks...and put me on a "test" to watch oil levels every 3000 km.

I have been back now 5 times to watch levels...and each time (with 3 weeks) my oil level is down about 2 litres...but its not leaking...and no one knows where it is going....

Don't get me wrong...my dealership has been good...providing me with rental car at no cost...but the headache is getting unbearable. I am now being told (as of last week) that this is a recognized issue by GM and that I am days away from having my piston rings? replaced...and at that time if there is in fact damage to the block (which there has to be) the engine will be replaced. Will see what happens...but my patience is running very thin....
  • esperinosesperinos Member Posts: 18
    Heather39...it was reading this site that convinced me my problem wasn't unique. It pains me because I really liked my Equinox, and when I had 2 major engine problems in a month, at less than 50000 miles, I knew it was not going to last. My wife's is still running fine, right now anyway. It s definitely a known problem to GM, but the question is just how pervasive the problem is. I have never owned a vehicle - GM or otherwise - that has had a problem like this so soon. My take is the engine should be replaced, and hope it too doesn't develop the same problem. Where I live, if a vehicle is taken in that many times, there are "lemon laws" that kick in. Best of luck.
  • didhedorightdidhedoright Member Posts: 15
    JUst passed another 5 hours at the dealerhsip, in the waiting room on an uncomfortable chair went and saw the owner, and told him that for the amount of time Nox owners pass there, they should at a minimum furnish Lazy Boys.... or bucket seats... The most frustrating thing is that after all that time, they came back to tell me they can't figure out the problem codes, so I have to go again .... GM NEVER AGAIN........ a real lemon.... PS favorite reply that we got was...get this "They all have the same problem !" "but we don't know how to fix it !" Going to see the 3 stooges movie tomorrow to cheer me up...
    I have heard the same thing from my dealership....but apparently the Regional Sales Manager for my area is having the same problem and escalated to Detroit with some very colourful words...his engine is being done now with prototype parts...mine apparently next in line...we will see. My service advisor (who is also the nephew of the owner of the dealership) has told me on 4 occassions to take it out to the back 40 and burn it.....way to support your product. GM needs to come good....on these repairs.....and that doesn't even touch the false advertising that made me purchase this vechile...1100 km/ tank of fuel....ya right...i have tried everything to make that work....and I am all highway km....most I have ever got is 840.... Enjoy your movie!!!
    Hello didhedoright,

I'm sorry to see that you've not had success with the service department on getting this diagnosed. Have you already worked with Customer Service on this issue? If you have a case number, we're happy to look and see if there are any updates available for you.

If you would like to get a case established, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the following information:
    your name and Edmunds username
    phone and address
    the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage
    the name of your involved dealership and a description of any recent visit(s) you have made in regards to the current vehicle concern

My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the Edmunds forum, will advise you further.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning heather39,

I am guessing you are from Canada as you have use kilometers as your unit of measure in the post? If you haven't done so already, I would recommend getting in touch with GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah,

Yes I am from Canada...and I have been assured that the necessary people at GM are well aware of my issues....right now I am going to continue to have faith in my dealership that they are looking out for my best interest and will fix my less that 2 year old car! That being said, if I don't hear back by mid week next week on next steps...my issues will be escalated. I have been more that patient...

Thank you for your response...but action is what I am looking for
    189950km.....So Service manager gives suggests a rental for me while they figure out the misfire # 2 cylinder. Pick car up and rental wants me to pay...Not happening......end result is coil replaced for #2 cylinder and YES they did pick up car rental for two days. However I cannot report what work was done as Service department could not find paperwork???????????

To be Continued......I am sure of it...........
    So I dropped my Nox off a dealership today....after I initiated a call this morning to see where we were at with the engine repairs....funny...they were just going to call me....was suppose to be last week. Regardless...they are starting to dig into engine issues...have go ahead from GM to replace piston rings....and if damage to block or other parts....total engine rebuild/replace. Asked today if warrentee would be extended....answer was "no"...not sure I will accept that...but will wait til "the fix" actually works ... and go from there. Driving a malibu in the mean time...and travelling out of town....so at least I can hopefully guarentee no tow truck this week...

See what happens when I get back....
  • cindy831cindy831 Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad I found this forum as I see tons of people with the same problems with their 2010 Equinox.
    Wish I could read all the pages of posts but there are far too many.
    I thought I was sold a lemon but it seems lots of us were.
    My problems started almost immediately with only 1000+ miles on the car.
    The car was doing a bunny hop like move and then stalled.
    Took it to the dealer twice until they came up with that there was casting sand in the engine that was causing the problem.
    Can't remember what they did to fix it but it took them 3 days to do so.
    Yet it happened again on the highway at least 2 - 3 more times but they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it They changed the solonoids (spelling?) and it hasn't happened again but the engine has never seemed right since then.
    Plus I also have the noisy engine issues, the stabili track issue and the burning oil quickly issue.
    I dread the day the issues get worse since it seems they will.
    Like many others, I will never buy GM again.
    They should be recalling these cars.
    I don't have money to sell this car since I'm still paying it off and who would want this garbage!
    I look forward to seeing more posts on these issues.
    From your lips to Ralph Nader ears,,,,, One thing I like to do is to go into the sales departement while I waste time in the repair department and wait for a salesman to come and ask me "Can I help you ?! Then I ask him how much woykd he give me to buy back my GM....lemon...
    Update 191133 km....As I guessed CEL came on again beginning this week. Called Dealer let them know, dropped vehicle of this morning as asked. What was to be 1/2 hour turnaround ( wanted to swap coil to another cylinder ) turned out to be 2 hours at which time I was offered a Car Rental.
    Call at end of day not good...could be injectors....could be fuel pump....keep rental for another day. Lead mechanic is doing his best i am told by service advisor.......will post outcome when someone at GM figures out how to repair.......To be continued............
    cindy831,

I'm sorry to read that you have been experiencing so many difficulties with your Equinox. It's good to know that the solenoid replacement seems to have resolved the "bunny hop" issue you described; have they looked into the noisy engine, stabilitrak, or oil consumption when you've been in?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kathyh_ab_cndkathyh_ab_cnd Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2006 Equinox LS (FRNT wheel drive) two years ago from a Chevy dealer. It had 38,000 km on it.

In two years I'll have spent over $4,000 on repairs (blower motor, air blend temperature door, DRIVE SHAFT) and new tires (as they, for some reason, were completely worn too).

Questions:
    1. How does a drive shaft tower assembly become coroded within 6 years and with so little milage.

2. Why GM won't do a recall on the air blend temperature door (as it seems to be an extremely common problem)

I've always bought GM vehicals and am completely disappointed not only with the dealership that sold it to me (as it's NOT an Optimum vehical - unless you mean optimum return for GM by charging me many dollars in parts) but with this car specifically.
    UPDATE!!!....So I guess they have diagnosed the misfire as injectors...None to be found in my region, have to bring them in. So another day in the rental vehicle.....will post results once I get it back tomorrow, maybe???
    UPDATE!!!...picked up the vehicle with the following repairs made...new fuel pump...4 new injectors....end result, not fixed and GM does not know why. There is still a misfire on one of the cylinders...All Work Orders have now been sent to GM and I have to wait to find out what they will decide to do....

I love my car....NOT!!!!
  • dcrabbdcrabb Member Posts: 3
    I have been dealing with nothing but issues with my Equinox! GM acts like there is nothing they can do because they can't connect all the issues as one problem. I want a replacement vehicle! I bought my car in 2010 brand new...it has been in the shop several times. I had to send the dealership an article to get them to actually figure out the problem. The first time I took it in they said it was a sensor so they reset it. Few days go by and the car is having problems again. I take it in a second time and they stated that it was a timing chain and my oil was really black. I just had an oil change the week before so I found that odd. They said change your oil more often...I was very confused because I just had it done so I knew there was more to it. A few months go by and my check engine light starts to come on and my car is again back to doing the same thing it's done in the past. The engine revs up when I'm stopped, MIT shakes, when I turn it off the car stays running several seconds, etc. so here we go again I take the vehicle back in. This time they say your car is no longer under warranty and it's an O2 sensor. I said I have had it and I want the codes my car is pulling. They gave me P0172 and P0300. Red flag!! That's codes for fuel pump and engine misfire. After some research I found several articles online about the equinox having issues where the fuel leaks into the oil...hints why my oil is black after just having it changed. I fault with them to take a look further and when they did they called me and said they had good news that fuel is leaking into my oil and that is covered under warranty! Ok that's great that it was under warranty but seriously...I had to send an article for them to solve the problem. I have been fighting with GM because I no longer want my Equinox! It's been nothing but trouble and on top of it my heated seats just stopped working! I recommend anyone looking to get a 2010 Chevy Equinox to rethink their decision! This vehicle is the worst vehicle I have ever owned!! And GM won't do anything to help you out!!
  • dcrabbdcrabb Member Posts: 3
    I hate to say this but GM won't do anything for you! My Equinox had very similar issues! Get rid of the car now before you have many more issues in the future! Just think about all the trouble that will come from fuel leaking into your oil! GM should recall this vehicle!
    We bailed GM out as tax payers, now GM is BAILING out on us owners, worst mistake I will not repeat soon... no more pleasure.... Thank you GM stands now for Great Mistake