Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• klm56klm56 Member Posts: 15
    Today, after over a year of trying to figure out where our oil is going, the dealership has found the problem.....the cylinder walls are zebra striped and thus allowing oil to escape into the cylinders to burn. We are now to get a brand new motor. We were told there is a service bulletin out that discusses the problem and the solution being to replace the motor. Good luck all you other people having oil consumption problems!
    Today, after over a year of trying to figure out where our oil is going, the dealership has found the problem.....the cylinder walls are zebra striped and thus allowing oil to escape into the cylinders to burn. We are now to get a brand new motor. We were told there is a service bulletin out that discusses the problem and the solution being to replace the motor. Good luck all you other people having oil consumption problems!
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    How much oil were you losing; during how many miles? Could you find out what the service bulletin is?
  • jessequinoxjessequinox Member Posts: 13
    I am really interested in this service bulletin as well. I am having the same issues, I have to put a quart of oil in the car every week. Dealer said nothing is wrong.

Also have timing chain issues (they are replacing the timing chain for the 2nd time today and the guide pins for it in the engine).

I have been having issues for 100,000km and would just like my new(ish) car to be fine!
    I have this same issue, worse when my oil is low (which is quite often because my oil disappears into thin air according to the dealership).
    I have these same problems, dealer says it is normal. I am embarrassed too. I don't know what to do to get it fixed anymore. My extended warranty runs out soon and I am afraid to drive it after that.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Does ANYONE have an Equinox that doesn't have a problem? We turned in a 2009 Traverse because my wife who is a realtor was tired of spending $400 a month for gas. We ordered a 2013 Equinox LT2 with navigation and the 4 cylinder. Has anyone had problems with the '12 4 cylinder?

We like Chevrolets - have a 2011 Malibu (the new ones are too small) and a '97 Silverado. We probably won't keep the Equinox more than 50k miles but it is disconcerting to hear all of the complaints. I'll dump the Malibu as soon as I can get a certified 2013 Cadillac XTS.
  • newmansoonnewmansoon Member Posts: 1
    Please, I too, would like a service bulletin number. Customer Service and the dealership are giving us a hard time. I have to travel across country and can't imaging putting in a litre every 1500km's.

Thank you!

P.S - do I go to the BBB? Does anyone know who I could speak to higher up the chain?
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    We have 2012 Equinox LT2 NO PROBLEMS SO FAR
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    FYI, I have a 2011 Equinox and Terrain, both 4 cylinder and fwd, the only mechanical problems have been with the Terrain and it was the engine noise on startup with the diesel sound from the cam actuators. This was taken care of at 6600 miles and I now have 29000 trouble free miles so far. The equinox is driven fairly infrequently and has 19000 miles in 2 years time.

Draw your own conclusions but look objectively at what you buy, I am tired of all of the negativity on these cars and can only tell you what I have expierenced so far. I would buy another one if needed without question.

Hope this helps. :)
  • dougstammdougstamm Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    I have a 2010 Equinox. I have never had so much trouble with a car in all my life! In August I will have owned it for 3 years and it has just been one problem after another. For the past 20 years I’ve bought either a Honda or a Toyota and never had a problem with any of them. In 2009 I was in the market for a new car and, since GM was in trouble, decided to do my part to help them out. What a mistake!

Here's the list of things that have gone wrong:
    > GPS: I use it every day for work so it was a very important aspect of my purchase. After about 6 months it was installed/re-installed It worked ok for about a year and now it's back to having no idea where I am.
    > Select Button: What a joke! Half the time it doesn't work at all.
    > Rear Passenger Window: After a couple months it went down and never came back up again. The driver's side rear window is showing signs of the same problem.
    > Lumbar Support: no longer works
    > Hatch: Just stopped opening one day!
    > A/C: Just stopped working last month. I live in the northeast where an A/C doesn't see a lot of action.
    > Cat Converter: engine light came on just after the part warranty ended at 80,000 miles. I drove Hondas and Toyotas up to 150,000 and never had to replace one!
    > Auto Start: this stopped working as soon as the engine light came on
    > Acceleration: just had a mechanic check on this for me today. Just like everyone else here has mentioned, it's the timing chains.
    > Oil: my mechanic told me today that the oil was down a quart and a half for no apparent reason!

This is all just totally unacceptable.
  • esperinosesperinos Member Posts: 18
    Folks, I've said this before. I truly believe there was a problem with some of the 2010 engines. I haven't heard the same from 2011 and 2012. They should have offered to replace these as the problems arose. I would have kept my Equinox had they done so.
  • rvm819rvm819 Member Posts: 7
    Doug, I thought I had problems with my 2010 Equinox; but yours sets a record! My problems have been the fuel pump and timing chains. My Equinox has 80k miles now and it will be traded before the warranty expires at 100k. Like you, I was hopeful that GM was making better products; but I'm very disappointed. And, it is not just the Equinox. My son has a GMC Acadia with the 3.6 liter V6, and the timing chain also had to be replaced. It was out of warranty, so he had a $2600 repair bill. My next vehicle will be a FORD!!
    When we asked about the new engine they are putting in because of the zebra striping causing the loss of oil, the mechanics at the dealership said this is a new improved motor which takes care of a timing chain issue they were having with our engine as well.

They tried replacing the cam sensor a few months ago but that didn't help. With us complaining that we were using a quart of oil/1000 miles the dealership owner said he would investigate and then told us he would have them scope the engine to look for the problem.

When they pulled the head, they found the zebra striping in the cylinder walls which means they are scored and causing the loss of oil....we were told there was a service bulletin out but not what number it was or any other info...I will try to call tomorrow and find out more.
    When we asked about the new engine they are putting in because of the zebra striping causing the loss of oil, the mechanics at the dealership said this is a new improved motor which takes care of a timing chain issue they were having with our engine as well.

They tried replacing the cam sensor a few months ago but that didn't help. With us complaining that we were using a quart of oil/1000 miles the dealership owner said he would investigate and then told us he would have them scope the engine to look for the problem.

When they pulled the head, they found the zebra striping in the cylinder walls which means they are scored and causing the loss of oil....we were told there was a service bulletin out but not what number it was or any other info...I will try to call tomorrow and find out more.
    We had a problem with our fuel pump also as well as oil consumption.

Well I tried to get the service bulletin number but I was told the info was on a GM service site only accessible to technicians and not open to the public. At least you know what to tell them.
    Thank you, I sent the info to my dealership as my car is there right now, hopefully they will find it. If they don't look into it I will be taking it to another dealership (once I get my car back later this week - the timing chain needs to be replaced again (third one) and the guide pins in the engine are damaged too. I actually have a case of oil in my car and have to put in one quart a week (I do put on a lot of KM's).

My extended warranty runs out in 17,000km, and I really don't want to have to be making these repairs myself once it runs out.

Thanks for trying to get the info for us.
  • jenny_2010jenny_2010 Member Posts: 1
    I am going on every forum that states there is issues with the 2010 Equinox. My 2010 Equinox had the timing chain, Engine and fuel pump all replaced. We are out $7,000 because the dealer said warranty was out. The car does not have 100k yet.

Everyone has to file a claim on Chevy for their issues or they will never put a recall out. They had a chance to fix the issue, now to bad for them it is time for a recall. The oil consumption will eventually cause internal engine issues that will result in the issues I have.

Chevy denied our claim because they don't feel there is any issues.

PLEASE File a claim here: http://www.chevrolet.com/help/contact-us.html
  • rvm819rvm819 Member Posts: 7
    Jenny 2010 - I had my fuel pump and timing chains replaced FREE under the 100k mile power train warranty. I would contest the declined claim with Chevy, because my repairs were free with 78k miles on the 2010 Equinox. My son has GMC Acadia that required timing chain replacement. His GMC was over 100k miles, but GM is accepting his claim for a refund. So, don't give up!
    Jenny - All our work is being done under the warranty...the engine, cam sensor, high pressure fuel pump...we are at about 50,000 miles and will get the remainder of our 100,000 mile warranty on the new engine!
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    I agree - My dealer has always accomidated me and honored warranty items. I need to question why some owners are making these complaints; think maybe basic gm required preventative service is the real issue? I have not had any engine or transmission issues at 50.000 miles; this nox gets serviced at dealer every 4000 miles; my warranty is solid!
    Not all engines were manufactured with the engine problems. We are to get our car back today and apparently they are replacing the engine on another one in their shop this week as well. Something went wrong with some of the Equinox's engines...how many is anyone's guess.
    For all you who wanted the service bulletin.....we were given a copy of it when we picked up our Equinox today. It is:

#PIP 5025: Excessive Oil Consumption Inspect Cylinder Walls (May 16, 2012) Document ID: 2857121

"Condition or Concern: Some customers may complain of excessive oil consumption. In most cases, the oil consumption rate will be one quart or more every 1,000 miles and the customer may notice that it did not start until the vehicle had accumulated 20,000 miles or more. In some cases, it may have appeared earlier if the customer's drive cycle mainly consists of short trip driving (more thermal-cycles). Upon inspection, the technician may note excessive oil in the fresh air side of the PCV system due to excessive crankcase pressure and blowby. They may also note that all 4 spark plugs have obvious/excessive oil deposits on them."

There you have it so now maybe your mechanic will check this one their special internet site and get your engine fixed.
    For all you who wanted the service bulletin.....we were given a copy of it when we picked up our Equinox today. It is:

#PIP 5025: Excessive Oil Consumption Inspect Cylinder Walls (May 16, 2012) Document ID: 2857121

"Condition or Concern: Some customers may complain of excessive oil consumption. In most cases, the oil consumption rate will be one quart or more every 1,000 miles and the customer may notice that it did not start until the vehicle had accumulated 20,000 miles or more. In some cases, it may have appeared earlier if the customer's drive cycle mainly consists of short trip driving (more thermal-cycles). Upon inspection, the technician may note excessive oil in the fresh air side of the PCV system due to excessive crankcase pressure and blowby. They may also note that all 4 spark plugs have obvious/excessive oil deposits on them."

There you have it so now maybe your mechanic will check this on their special internet site and get your engine fixed.
  • kendraj35kendraj35 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2010 Chevy Equinox (49,000 miles) into the dealership to get serviced today. My check engine light was on (per Autozone - it was indicating ckp/cmp - CRankshaft / CAMshaft timing misalignment). In addition, my Service Airbag light is on.

You mentioned that they replaced your engine, cam sensor and fuel pump under the 100,000 warrenty. Does this sound like this is what was wrong with your vehicle? I have not noticed the vehicle driving any differently before taking it in (besides the light just being on); did you?
    This is awesome, thank you!

My car was returned to me Monday, with the timing chain being replaced(the third one). However today on my way to work my low oil pressure light came on, and the car started making some pretty awful screeching noises (metal on metal) and fluid was leaking out of the engine. I am just waiting to find out what is happening this time. I couldn't drive the vehicle and had to wait for a tow and now this is a 3rd day in one week I am without a vehicle and working from home (thank goodness my work allows that). I will send this to them right now!

Thanks again for sending this.
    edited July 2012
    All of my work has been done under the powertrain warranty which is good for 160,000km. I would fight those charges. I have had the following done (all under warranty and I have 143,000km on it):

2 timing chains
    water pump/chain
    tensioners/gaskets for the above
    guide pins for the above
    heater
    back hatch handle (stopped opening - that was fun!)

Although, my car is back in the shop again, died on my way to work today, will let everyone know what they say it is this time :sick:
    Our initial problem was using oil...too much.

While we noticed the excessive oil consumption the high pressure pump caused our check engine light to come. The dealer replaced that pump which seemed to let the engine run better for a while but the oil consumption problem was still there. The dealership then replaced the cam sensor (which aerates the oil). It was still consuming oil and began running rough with hesitation when stepping on the throttle. After they saw the new service bulletin they replaced the engine. The dealer's mechanic told us that the hesitation problem probably was the timing chain which was supposedly improved with the new engine put in.

There you have our car's symptoms and solutions..hope it helps.
  • dnydny Member Posts: 8
    I just got back from the dealer after having them check why my dash light up with warning messages for ABS, Brakes, Stabilitrac, and traction control ... was told that the sensors are gone from the front hubs and the hubs need to be replaced. To make matters worse, I was told that the hubs are not covered under the power train warranty (since I'm out of "bumper to bumper" warranty with 65000 miles) and this is going to run me over $800 ... ouch!

I cannot say I am pleased and after finding this forum and all the other problems, I guess I should feel lucky I haven't encountered all the the other problems.

Having said that, it annoys the heck out of me that GM doesn't cover the hubs as part of the drive train (apparently they used to) and second, what kind of quality are we talking about here anyway with the sensors falling out on a car that's only 3 years old ?!

While I really like my Chevy dealer, I am not at all inclined to buy another GM product after this fiasco :(
  • nana04nana04 Member Posts: 1
    took mine in a couple months ago with noise and rough running, hesitaiton. they replaced the timing chain and the high pressure fuel pump. took it back in yesterday with similar symptoms and also talked about oil consumption and decreased gas mileage.....two men looked at each other and said 'zebra striping' apparently chevy has decided to replace the engines on these cars that are affected rather than fixing one thing after another. its a manufacturer defect involving the cylinder walls and the oil......if your dealer doesn't want to fix it call another.....
    I don't have to worry anymore about them not listening to me. The issue got so bad that last Friday (after only having my car back from the shop 3 full days after them replacing the timing chain for the 2nd time) I blew a bearing in the engine and it is toast (metal shavings in the oil, crazy metal-on-metal squealing noise). They have no choice but to replace it now. I have a rental now and it will be a few weeks they said before I get it back. It is still sitting outside the shop in the parking lot (I drive by on my way to work everyday). I even sent them the service bulletin and he said that I didn't have those issues (however they never scoped the engine to look at the cylinders). I would LOVE to have a look at it when it is out of my car.
    Ask to look at the cylinder walls...the service bulletin we have a copy of had a picture of the zebra-striping. Looks like lines on the walls. We were able to look into our engine's cylinders. But the good thing is...you are getting a new engine...hopefully one of the new kind of ones with no problems????

BTW, ours took about 1.5 weeks to be fixed.
  • salacompacsalacompac Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Hey I was having the same issue with my Equinox 2010 29260 miles and what I did is remove the Ground cable from the Battery for 5 minutes and that solve my problem i put it back and now is working perfect well after 2 day I did not have any problem. if you need any help please send me a e-mail.

Regards
  • dnydny Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, but the hub sensor assemblies were falling apart so no choice in the matter but to replace the hubs. Fortunately after complaining to GM, I managed to get them to cover most of the repair costs even though they don't normally cover the hubs under the power train warranty.
    We were using too much oil but I believe we did get some code early on before the oil usage was too much.
  • chevyfan4chevyfan4 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a 2011 equinox 2LT with the 4 cyl engine and have had 29,000 trouble free miles on the vehicle. It"s one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I like it so much that I just ordered a 2013 LTZ with the new V6. I also have a 2011 Chevy Cruze that has 17,000 trouble free miles and I really like the vehicle a lot. Great cars from Chevy.
  • bill9thrillbill9thrill Member Posts: 7
    Congrats that your 2011 is problem free. Us 2010 owners are the ones who got screwed.
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    I'm glad for your good experience. I had engine oil consumption problem for sometime and started an oil consumption test with my dealership around June, after that I noticed that the oil level stopped going down and I smelled strong gasoline odor in the oil. I took it to the dealership and they claim that it was caused by failed fuel injection pump and replace it, together with few other things. I took my car back to dealer two days ago because I still smell gasoline in oil, they claim it is normal and checked the oil level and add 3/4 quarts to top-off the level!! While looking at the service person adding oil, I commented that I had a lot of problems with this engine, he shook his head and replied "nothing but trouble", I asked him if 2011 and 2012 engines are better and he said they are also very problematic, with other problems. Just to let you know.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Speak for yourself, my 2010 has been problem free also. You just don't hear from us since there's nothing to complain about :)
    WOW...I'm also an early October 2010 owner and to date have no real serious issues to complain or cry about!!! The minor NOX Concerns I experienced have been addressed and resolved by GM Dealer to date. I have owned 8 New cars and 1-12 used cars & trucks over the last 40 years and they all have some sort of issues; this is just how it is! Anyone looking for a trouble free non-issue man built machine should proably walk or engineer their own machine. Have you ever wondered why there are so many service centers, car lifts, warranty companies and technicians...Cars, Trucks, SUV's Etc have issues and need to get repaired and serviced!!!

So far, I'm pleased with my 2010 Nox 4 cyl. and the local dealer Dimmitt in Clearwater Florida has done a great job with my few concerns and NOX warranty matters.

Glad I have a 100.000 Mile Drive line warranty in the event its needed!!!!!!!
  • brad5879brad5879 Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2012
    Update on my wife's:

Checked the oil level about 2-3 weeks ago and it seemed alright. This was at about 3,000 miles after the previous oil change. Checked it yesterday, 660 miles later and the dipstick was bone dry. I am sorry but I wasn't taking it for an oil change at 3,000 miles since I was told to bring it back when it needed topped off. My buddy has a tow truck so I had him tow it to the dealer today. I have called GM Customer Service and they set up a case #.

The first time this happened was back in April with 30,360 miles on it - we were told the car was equipped with Mobil 1 oil and the oil life monitor reflected this - but roughly 6,000 miles after we bought it, we were driving and the check engine light came on - checked the dipstick and it was bone dry.

Took it to the dealer, they put regular oil in it to do the consumption test and we then took it back at 33,180 miles when it was looking a little low and they claimed the oil level was okay - I personally checked it before I took it in and thought it looked a little low, so don't believe them.

Well yesterday at 36,860 or so miles, the dipstick is dry. 3,600 miles after the oil change. This is ridiculous - 5 months of aggravation and constantly worrying about oil level. I got a 2010 Camaro and I never have to worry about checking the oil level because it never drops this drastically. We traded in my wife's 2002 Honda CR-V with 152,000 miles on it because we wanted something new - for goodness sakes we NEVER had to deal with these problems. The 2002 Honda ran and sounded newer than this car between 30,000 and 36,000 miles. I should have known when I bought it at about 24,000 miles and I mentioned that it sounded like a diesel and the salesman blew it off as normal.

I will update tomorrow after the dealer looks at it and Customer Service is in touch with them. I am really hoping for the best right now. This car has been such a headache and a bad as I want to say good things about GM and Chevy, there isn't much to say right now with the way they've handled this issue and not stood behind their product. I know the car probably needs a new engine and I'm pretty sure they probably know, too - why is it such a battle? I'm hoping they finally make this right with a lifelong loyal customer. It took all I had to convert my wife from Honda and now I'm looking like an idiot.
  • stephcpstephcp Member Posts: 9
    Good Luck! We traded ours due to that constant worry of whether the engine was going to lock up on us or not because of it burning oil.
    I would like to hear about all your 2010 Nox Issues; other than the oil consumption issue. I'm also a early 2010 Nox owner 50K miles and curious what type of issues you are having with your Nox; that you are so frustrated with.

We look forward to hearing about your positive and negative experience with this GM Vehical.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for taking to time to post your positive experience with your Equinox, chevyfan4! Wishing you many more happy miles!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Update:

I was just told today that the oil "was a few quarts low" (dipstick was dry) and was given the same song and dance about 1 qt. per 1,000 miles being normal. This is the third freaking time I have had it in the shop. They told me they are going to give me the service bulletin and a chart to fell out every week or so documenting the oil level. The dealer told me this is what they were instructed to do by GM Customer Service. They said by the next oil change they will see what next steps to take and said "I know that's not the answer you want" and let me know that the car was well within the 100,000 mile warranty. The continue to say the diesel sound is normal.

Don't these people know the internet exists and I can clearly see many people have had the same issues I'm having? When does this ever end? Are they going to give me the same crap next time? Fix the problem. This is the third damn time and it's going to take a 4th???? I was told the first time it would be 3 rounds - and now they're adding an extra round? By the time I am ready for my next oil change it will be around the year anniversary that I've purchased the car. Ownership of this vehicle has been such a nightmare and such high maintenance - now I am going to have to worry about checking the oil every week? My gosh it's a 2010 model. I bought this car because I wanted something new, not something that feels 25 years old.

I was expecting a little more now that GM Customer Service is now involved. Instead I have to ride this problem out for another 3 months or so? I just want a real answer already. A real solution.
    I'm glad to hear that you've begun the oil consumption test with your dealership, smc8888. I hope that we're able to work out a resolution on this with you! Please keep us posted, and we're here to look into anything if you need us.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    brad5879,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Please feel free to email me directly with your case number and I will look into it. If you have any questions comments or concerns, I am always just a post or email away. I look forward to updates on your concerns and experience at the dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited August 2012
    Thanks Christina, email sent.

Just received a phone call from the person assigned to this case.

I was under the impression from the dealer that they had spoken with GM Customer Service from their wording, but there was a misunderstanding.

I just picked up the car and got paperwork showing the guidelines that state the "accepted rate of oil consumption or engines used in the referenced vehicles is 1 qt in 2,000 miles. (Document ID 2714857). They claimed they added only 1 Qt. The dipstick was bone dry after sitting for several hours so I really don't know if I believe all it took was 1 Qt. to fill it.

It's just amazing that it's accepted that this car would lose 2 quarts of oil, or 40% of the oil in the crankcase, over a 4,000 mile stretch - under NORMAL driving conditions to boot! My 2010 Camaro hardly loses a half quart of synthetic oil over 7,500 miles.

And the reply to me stating the engine is loud was "road test operating as designed". So this was designed to sound like diesel engine? It sounds horrible. I am not shocked these are the answers I am getting though - I see the same stuff all over this forum.

And the real question is, why did it take the 3rd time taking the car to the dealer to give me an Oil Economy Test Data Sheet to fill out? Shouldn't they have done this all the way back in April when I first took it in with a dry dipstick??? Or in June??? They wait until the third time.

I appreciated GM Customer Service taking the steps to get to the bottom of this. It's not some minor problem I'm scheming up. Believe me, I don't want any problems with my car. I can proudly say my Camaro has been very easy to maintain through 62,000 miles.
    We're glad to hear that you're having such a great experience with your Equinox, roykulp! Wishing you many more happy miles!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service