Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• erinmarie94523erinmarie94523 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2010 equinox brand new in august 2010 and have had nothing but issues. BIGGEST issue has been with the engine and brakes. After multiple visits to the dealership most of the problems have been fixed but now there are a few new ones. I went from driving a Honda with no problems to a car that I don’t trust to take on a long road trip because I don’t feel safe and I LIVE at the dealership. At this point, I wouldn’t know how the car should run because I have had nothing but issues. Has anyone else had issues with the rear brake pads and rotors? They replaced them and then put some kind of adhesive on them because it was still doing the moaning noise when you would let off the brake but not hit the gas. See below for engine/diesel sound.

1)(parking Brake) First time it went in the shop was approx 1,500 miles because you could hear something hitting under the car. As always they said they couldn’t duplicate the problem (it had been going on since the day I bought it). I took it back at 2,631 miles and they determined that the parking brake cable was loose and hitting under the car. Back to the shop at 2,927 miles because of the same exact issue and was told that the parking brake shoe was deformed and parking brake cable spring had excessive clearance. They had to order the parts and I had to bring it back in to be fixed. (4 trips to the dealer for the same exact problem)

2)(Wipers) The wipers have always skipped across the windshield and is hard to see out the passenger side of the windshield. Dealership inspected , cleaned wipes and said everything was normal. 7,378 wipers were replaced and then again at 16,000. Replaced again at 25,000 miles and was told by the service manager that the part has changed and that it should fix the problem.

3)(Headliner) 8,653 miles Entire headliner in the car was sagging. Dealership inspected and found that the magnets on the headliner had detached due to insufficant adhesive. Had to order parts and bring car back for fix.

4)HUGE PROBLEM (Engine ticking) This is something I have been battling. The car sounded like a 1982 diesel car. The idle was really ruff and at times would drop down so far that it felt like it was going to die. Ive almost rear ended cars in stopped traffic because I would have to hit the gas to keep the car alive. The first time I took it to the dealer for the engine ticking and idle very rough was at 8,653 miles. I was then told that the problem was told that the problem was with the High press fuel pump. They replaced the fuel pump and lines. This didn’t help anything. Every time I would take it to the dealership for maintanice I would tell them about it. I was once told that this is normal for a 4cyl. Finally at 25,621 miles it was determined that the issue was with the timing chain and tensioner. After 16 days in the shop and work complete I got my car back and it now seems to have transmission issues….

5)(outside temp Gauge) Would stick on one temp and never change. They verified and replaced part. 16,000 miles

6)(Rear Brakes) reported at 25,000 because it was a moan that would happen when you would let off the brake but not hit the gas. It was a high pitch noise that could be heard inside the car. I even stopped at the dealership and had the service manager drive with me so he could hear it. We didn’t even have to get out of the dealership and he told me that it was the rotators and it was completely normal. That made me feel really unsafe to hear its your brakes but its normal. It went in the shop and I received a voicemail for the service manger that they had to replace the pads and rotors. Really at 25,000 miles? That actually didn’t fix the problem so they said that they had to coat the back of the brakes with some kind of noise reduction adhesive. Now when I brake it feels like the car is skipping… Doesn’t feel so good.

7)Front speakers- 23,000 miles there was an internal failure
  • jdfrmcrssprgsjdfrmcrssprgs Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I bought a used 2010 Equinox 40k on the odometer. The vehicle is pinging sometimes just at pulling away from say a stop sign. Dealer (who lost his Chevy franchise) said they all do it and according to him unless the CHECK ENGINE light comes on nothing can be adjusted or checked.
    Oil consumption seems ok so far. Time to check with the local independent garage. All of the posts on this whole subject are pretty scary.
    Is this the son of the QUAD 4?
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    Use 91 or 93 octane and the pinging should go away, as well as the fuel pump ticking (can notice at a stop light with radio off). I think there is a computer update you can get that will allow you to use 87 octane without the pinging, but you lose 1-2 mpg. They just have the timing on the spark wrong on many of the 2010s. The cost per mile is about the same with or without the new update, so I just use higher octane since it gives better performance.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning erinmarie94523,

We're very sorry to hear about the concerns you've encountered with your Equinox. I see that your current, unresolved concerns include the transmission, yes? If you would like for us to look into the situation further with you, please email the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Good morning jdfrmcrssprgs,

We're sorry to hear that you're having this pinging concern with your Equinox. I see that wallyuwl made a suggestion about fuel - if you wanted more information on that check out 8-54 in your manual. Also, it looks as though the dealership you're working with is no longer a GM dealership, is this correct? Let us know if you need any assistance in locating one of our dealerships nearby or if we can look into anything for you! Our email is socialmedia@gm.com

• nailsgirlnailsgirl Member Posts: 13
    GM replaced my engine @ 66K. My 2010 Nox also sounded like a diesel. Continue to check your oil. I had none on the dip stick after a 3 week oil change! Runs well now but I only get 26.5 mpg!I got 32 with the old engine. I haven't gone back to the dealer.....I will prob get rid of it soon!
  • brad5879brad5879 Member Posts: 12
    Dealer continues to say diesel sound is normal.

Completely forgot about the sagging headliner because of other major issues at hand. But yeah, they said that was normal as well.

I have a feeling that if I was out of warranty none of these things would be "normal" and instead would be expensive costs absorbed by myself.
  • cbfcbf Member Posts: 1
    For roughly the first 60,000 miles, I didn't have any real problems with my 2010 Equinox - or so I thought. Friends had told me that my car sounded rough or was too loud, but when I asked the maintainers at the dealerships, I was told it was normal. At roughly 60,000 miles, I had a new fuel pump installed after my vehicle stalled at a stop light. For a little while it ran fine; however, it still sounded rough and I was still told it was normal. At about 74,000 miles my check engine light came on and within ten miles my vehicle lost engine power and turned off - while I was on the road driving. The dealership found that my vehicle was 4 quarts low on oil and replaced the fuel pump, timing chain, tensioners, etc. After all this work, the vehicle was quiet for a day or so, but then started the ticking sound - which it has done since the beginning. At 75,000 miles my ABS light and StabiTrack light came on, so I returned to the dealership. I'm awaiting an update on the current issues; however, I've had GM vehicles in the past and never had so many problems as I have with this one - and those vehicles had double the mileage! I'm not really a "car person" - although I'm getting a crash course now - any helpful hints/advice/suggestions on what I should ask the dealership?
    Thanks!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    With that mileage, I would trade it in before something else goes wrong. After it's fixed, look for a more reliable vehicle. Good luck.
    Good morning cbf,

If you would like for us to check in on the progress at the dealership on the repairs to your Equinox, we'd be happy to get a Service Request set up to do so. Please email us the following information at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• rvm819rvm819 Member Posts: 7
    You could be writing my 2010 Equinox story. By 75,000 miles, I had all of the repairs you mentioned, new timing chain, tensioners and fuel pump. My oil pressure sensor also failed. I lost confidence in the vehicle and traded it two weeks ago at 82,000 miles!
    I am really disappointed with GM. Most people that I know are driving their cars well beyond 100,000 miles....most 150,000 miles or more with very few problems.
    The 2010 Equinox with 2.4 liter EcoTec engine was obviously not engineered properly, because too many people are have the same part failures by 75k miles.
    I considered trading for a Ford Excape, but I bought a new 2013 Equinox with the 2.4 EcoTec engine. I'm giving GM one more chance! I hope they have improved the engine in last three years!! If not, there will be Ford in my future!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    The new Escape may not be a good choice because it recently has had several recalls. One incident, the Escape caught fire on a test drive because of a coolant leak. If you're looking at another Equinox, then it's probably worthwhile to wait for the new model with the 2.5 liter engine. Hopefully, some of the prior issues would have been corrected by then.
    We're sorry to hear about the troubles you had with your 2010, rvm819. May you have many happy miles in your 2013 (Congratulations, by the way!)!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lca72lca72 Member Posts: 1
    http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=788
    Take this letter to your dealer. You have described what happened to our vehicle too. They were only going to change a few parts until I faxed them this letter. It is ridiculous that we had to search the Internet for a letter that the dealership should of already had. They should be checking every 2010 equinox that comes in with problems. They are replacing my engine, but I have no faith in Chevy service anymore. If I had left it up to them, I would be driving my kids around in a car that could stall out at any time. Chevy 2010 Equinox owners check your oil! Do not go by the oil life on the computer screen. I just hope the replaced engine works better. From what I am reading, I am not going to get good gas mileage anymore. That is why I bought the thing in the first place! :sick:
  • brad5879brad5879 Member Posts: 12
    This is nice if I can ever get my dealer to admit that I am burning more than a quart every 2,000 miles. Apparently a dry bone dry dipstick means you only need to add a quart (at 3,700 miles). They won't do this test until they determine you are actually burning more than a quart every 2,000 miles.

And GM Customer Service hasn't been too helpful because it's just ending up being my word against the dealerships word.

Do they really think I want this aggravation in my life and to fight this battle? Let alone on a vehicle with 37,000 miles? I wish I didn't have to.
  • rvm819rvm819 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the follow up Sarah, GM Customer Service!
    Indeed, I hope the issues with my 2010 2.4 EcoTec engine have been corrected on my new 2013 Equinox with the same engine. The 2013 engine is much quieter than the 2010, and I am hopeful this will be a good vehicle. I want GM to be successful as much as you do, but GM has to do better than the 2010 Equinox power train!
  • foster904foster904 Member Posts: 9
    Okay, So I have a brand new engine and life was good. I did notice that at low speeds (neighborhood speed limit is 25) the car would jerk and jump, but wasn't overly concerned about it since I had spent so much time at the dealership. Well, today I was starting to accelerate and the dashboard lights up and I get a message that says that the engine has reduced power. I slowly got it up to speed and since I was only 4 or 5 miles from the house I tried to make it. I managed to get about 2 miles down the road and it died. I shut the car off and let it sit for a minute then tried to start it back up. It was if the starter stayed engaged so I immediately shut it back off and called the dealership who sent a tow truck to get the car.
    We're sorry that the new engine in your Equinox has started to act up, foster904. Please keep us updated on your progress with your dealership, and if you want for us to check into anything further we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com

• nox77nox77 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for attaching that tech bulletin. It make so much sense--it describes what we are all experiencing! My dealer never gave me any problems (Hamilton Chevrolet, in Southeast Michigan), and my new engine was great for the first 10K. Now I am at 76,000 and it sounds as bad as the first engine. I love my Equinox, but we are looking at our options. A friend actually got a new Equinox--not just a new engine. She got the six, and has no problems!
    Sarah, I have to give Nimnicht Chevrolet 10 stars for customer satisfaction. The issue was caused by the fuel pump giving out and they replaced it and had me back on the road by this afternoon. However, after all of the trouble that we have had with this car I have come to the conclusion that it is time to throw in the towel and get rid of it. We contacted Nimnicht this evening to see if we can work on a deal to get into a new Equinox, one that doesn't have all of these mechanical problems. Maybe GM could help out with that?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Good morning Jeff,

We're so glad to hear that you've had such a great experience with Nimnicht Chevrolet! While ultimately negotiations would have to be between you and the dealership on a potential new Equinox, if you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN and contact information to socialmedia@gm.com, we can look to see if you currently qualify for any private offers.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • eugene11eugene11 Member Posts: 8
    Our local dealer did not want it either, their trade in value was 3400.00 below what we were offered at other brand dealers. Really loved the Equinox, just did not enjoy the ongoing oil loss problem, albiet the dealer was in denial. There, done, moved on!
  • rski43rski43 Member Posts: 13
    So Eugene, you bought a different brand??

FYI, last May we dumped our '10 Nox 4cyl for the oil consumption reasons, didn't take a bath on trade-in (don't know why ;-) but glad we didn't), for a '12 Nox w/ the V-6. I'm more confident w/ that engine platform even though w/ give up gas mileage.
  • eugene11eugene11 Member Posts: 8
    Yes, we were really high on the 13 Escape, but at the end we choose the 13 Kia Soul 4U, smaller outside, but very roomy inside, different, but not that hard for us after trading an 05 Element for the 10 Nox, and in doing so we brought home a hefty chunk of cash @ 1.9% finance, vs 2.9 on the nox. Really love the way this thing handles, plenty of kool new options, so I'm happy and so is my home financial mgr!!!
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    After monitoring this thread since the beginning I no had any faith in my 2010 Equinox anymore. Every time I got in it I wondered if this was the day it was going to blow up. No more , I traded it in on a Lexus and couldn't be happier.
    I learned the hard way, never ever, never buy a first year model year vehicle. Your just a Guinna pig for the manufacturer.
    I'm trading mine in as soon as the dealer puts my tranmission back together. The replacement engine is running fine, they say. So they are looking at the trans. Can't think about a foreign car, but maybe a Journey.
    We're sorry to hear that you'll be parting ways with your Equniox, nox77. How is everything looking with your transmission?

• garypriceomahagarypriceomaha Member Posts: 11
    At least 3 times in the 42,000 miles I had my Equinox when I went to the dealer for oil change there was no oil on the dipstick. Shouldn't happen on a new/newer vehicle. I traded it in for a Toyota last week. Nice reading everthing on this forum but now I'll be joining the Toyota forums...
    Thanks
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hopefully you will be checking the oil on the new one more frequently, just in case.
  • toddeutoddeu Member Posts: 1
    My transmission on my 2010 Equinox is having problems upshifting to 3rd gear. Not punching the throttle even a little bit. besides that, it has 44k miles and have a problem with the air bag light coming on. Dealership says it's a wiring harness in the stearing column. I just had the drivers side brake light replaced because it burned out, and had to have it aligned in attempt to correct unusual tire wear.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    edited September 2012
    toddeu,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. I apologize for your frustrations. I would recommend having the dealer diagnosis your concern with your transmission. If you could please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information I would like to look into this further for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
    On Tuesday I drove home in a brand new 2013 Equinox. I can't say enough good things how Nimnicht (especially Don and Scott) and GM stepped up and helped me out. This is the type of customer service that will keep me as a customer.
    On Tuesday I drove home in a brand new 2013 Equinox. I can't say enough good things how Nimnicht (especially Don and Scott) and GM stepped up and helped me out. This is the type of customer service that will keep me as a customer.
    Congratulations foster904! Wishing you many happy miles in your new Equinox!

• llamitiellamitie Member Posts: 13
    Same thing happening right now with my 2010. Been over 35 days without my car since I got it. Experience has been horrific. I am curious about what you received regarding a class action lawsuit? Id be interested in that. So many things have been wrong with my car since the day i got it - I dont have time to write it all down right now. but what I do think is that my engine was damaged since day one - and gm doesnt authorize your dealership to take the engine apart when you complain it rides rough, stalls, bucks,sounds like a diesel train, uses too much oil, your sensors dont work etc...Its a long and comlicated list of procedures they have to go thru before they are auhthorized to dig deeper and therefore secure payment for the warranty work. By the time this happens the lemon law period is over and you cant ever prove it was there from the beginning. Slick. Please let me know about the lawsuit. Would like nothing more than to be a part of that. Thanks!
    I never thought of it that way. But when I went to trade in my 2010 Equinox, the GM Customer Service rep said it had too many miles on it to give the same amount of a customer appreciation coupon (my dealer said to expect $2500). Instead he offered just $500 for our troubles. The service manager at the dealership said he would take it to a district rep. The district rep took the $500 off the table, and offered us ZERO. The only reason we stayed with this car was becuz I loved it. Just not the engine. And, at the end, not the transmission. So, I love my new Journey. Since I work in a GM facility, I have to park in the back of the parking lot (where all the non-GM cars go) but I really feel like I had no other decision. Good luck to you all!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you talk to a lemon lawyer? Most offer a free analysis and there may be another option besides the lemon law itself.
  • klm56klm56 Member Posts: 15
    Haven't posted in a while but so far our 2010 Equinox with our new engine is doing well. We haven't noticed a big change in the gas mileage either. I hope this is the end of our engine problems. We did express concerns over how much oil we had put in the car while searching for the reason for the problem and our dealership worked on us getting some kind of compensation for our troubles. I am happy to say that Chevrolet Customer Assistance has given us an extra coverage agreement to cover costs of chassis lubrication, oil change, oil filter replacement and tire rotation for a specific period of time.

We really appreciate our dealership, Johnson Motors, Inc., for working hard for us to find the ultimate problem and fighting for the special protection plan. We were impressed with the dealership before and continue to be.
    This is great news - thank you for the update and we're happy that everything so well! Many more happy miles!

• rauldevorauldevo Member Posts: 3
    My wife’s Equinox was towed a couple of days ago to the local Chevy dealership when the car just stopped. Prior to that, we had to put 1 to 2 quarts of oil before the recommended intervals. This would happen often to include a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment. I noticed that there are many posts with 2010 Chevy Equinox having this same engine problem. Does anyone know of a recall or a class action suit? can anyone help? This is very frustrating and I'm afraid that this is going to cost us a lot of money.
    Good morning rauldevo,

We hope that all is going well with your dealership and would be happy to look into this situation further if you wanted us to. Please send us an email with more details (including your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership) to socialmedia@gm.com

• rauldevorauldevo Member Posts: 3
    I just received a call from our Dealership. I AM VERY HAPPY. They are taking care of the problem. (Larry Puckett Chevrolet in Prattville, AL)
  • gjdeweygjdewey Member Posts: 8
    I ended up on this forum while searching for answers to oil consumption problems with my 2010 Equinox. Like many posting here, my dealer in York, PA has been tracking my oil usage due to bucking, rough engine problems. This always indicates that there is NO oil.....again. I also received the line that GM has stated that this "normal" oil consumption......1 quart per 2000 miles! Two days ago, while on a 500 mile trip to visit family, I felt a couple of misses while driving then stopped at an exit for gas and the car completely stalled out 150 miles from my destination. Had the car towed 70 miles to a Chevy dealer in Statesville, NC who has told me that the tensioner, timing chain and fuel pump need to be replaced to the tune of around $1000. I'm stuck 500 miles from home and do not blame this dealer (yet), but this should NOT be an out of pocket expense.....this is a design/engineering problem that my home dealer has not been willing to address. I have loved my Equinox otherwise and have stood up to ribbing from family and friends for 'buying American' which was an intentional choice....now I'm really taking it. If this is not rectified, a trade-in is coming soon. I really wanted to support GM, but the lack of support from the company is extremely disappointing and I'm angry now. Any suggestions on how to 'deal with the dealer' ??
  • llamitiellamitie Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2012
    I had ALL the same issues since the day I bought my car. The last was initially a timing chain issue and they finally got authorization to "dig deeper" and it ended up I had a gaugue in the cylindar/scored piston and could NOT find one existing cause except that it had been there from the beginning and caused all my problems (excess oil consumption, bucking, hesitations, riding rough, sounding horrible). Luckily I paid for the extended warranty so the engine was covered. i got an entirely new engine last week (after a very recent partial engine rebuild). You should not be responsbile for that engine work or towing or any of those iussues. That engine was more than likley a bad engine from the beginning like every other equinox owner who is experiencing similar problems. Make you case and make a stink and get what you deserve - the engine you paid for! Start with your delaership and ask for guidance or call GM customer service or ask a rep on this site how to get a case number and file a complaint. You should get a new engine and reimbursement for your expenses. good luck
  • jessequinoxjessequinox Member Posts: 13
    I had the same issues and finally got a new engine covered under my powertrain warranty - if you look a few pages back in this forum, there is a service letter (and link to a website that shows the service letter). Get them to check the cylinders for "zebra stripping" as this was what the issues all stem from. If the service manager does not do anything after you showing them this, go to another dealer. I was speaking with a family friend who works at a dealership and he said they replace one of these engines daily! He knew exactly what my issues were. I unfortunately was the first one at my dealership to have this replaced (I also drive A LOT). Good luck and keep pushing!
    Thank you for your good advice...I'll certainly ask about zebra stripping...nice to know the terminology! I have 54,000 on the car but think they've been working on the problem since it had under 36,000 miles. Thanks again,
    For the fastest assistance, calling the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center may be best - they can be reached at 800-222-1020. You can also send us more details via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).
  • jessequinoxjessequinox Member Posts: 13
    Mine issues went on for over 100,000km (60,000 miles). It was a pain, multiple timing chains, tensioners, etc. I am going on 10,000km with the new engine and everything seems to be working great so far! Don't be afraid to push.
    Thank you so much for your words of advice and encouragement. Contacted GM customer service today and a district rep is supposed to be in touch within 24-48 hrs. I'm very ready to push at this point!
  • klm56klm56 Member Posts: 15
    Here's the service bulletin info but I am glad you are getting customer service involved since they didn't seem to help you at your dealership. Our dealer kept pushing to find the problem and eventually saw this service bulletin soon after it came out in May, checked our engine and now we have a new engine and doing fine. God bless your meeting with the district rep!

#PIP 5025: Excessive Oil Consumption Inspect Cylinder Walls (May 16, 2012) Document ID: 2857121

"Condition or Concern: Some customers may complain of excessive oil consumption. In most cases, the oil consumption rate will be one quart or more every 1,000 miles and the customer may notice that it did not start until the vehicle had accumulated 20,000 miles or more. In some cases, it may have appeared earlier if the customer's drive cycle mainly consists of short trip driving (more thermal-cycles). Upon inspection, the technician may note excessive oil in the fresh air side of the PCV system due to excessive crankcase pressure and blowby. They may also note that all 4 spark plugs have obvious/excessive oil deposits on them."

There you have it so now maybe your mechanic will check this one their special internet site and get your engine fixed.