Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• tlocketttlockett Member Posts: 8
    No I haven't contacted anyone..... My car is still at the dealship. Can you please provide me with the number?
    Yes, I have that same one that is why I didn't understand why I would have to pay for this expensive repair.
    Ok I just spoke with a GM person in warranty. Come to find out: starting with the 2010 model the throttle wasn't covered any long with the powertrain warranty, THAT SUCKS! But she did call the dealership and see what could be worked out. So, I will keep you guys updated on the problem at hand.
  • mbohnsackmbohnsack Member Posts: 1
    Driving to work this morning, I noticed the Reduced Engine Power warning come on, followed by the Stabillitrak Disabled warning. I was able to continue on for another mile before the engine stalled, leaving me stuck a mile from work on the side of the road.

This would have been fine, except it is -10deg here...

It seems like the issue is either intake, computer, or throttle body based on what I'm reading here. The Equinox has 75,348 miles on it, so I'm guessing nothing is covered by warranty, and I take whatever hit there is in the pocketbook?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Looking forward to any updates, tlockett! Sorry that the warranty news wasn't the best.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    mbohnsack,
    Your Equinox is definitely outside of bumper-to-bumper warranty, which is the most comprehensive warranty on our vehicles that lasts for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles that a vehicle is in service. Depending on the model year of your Equinox, though, you may still be within the powertrain warranty (good for the first 5 years or 100,000 miles that a vehicle is in service). Whether or not what is happening with your vehicle right now would be covered by this warranty would depend on a dealership diagnosis (the powertrain warranty is not comprehensive, but does cover quite a few major vehicle components).

If you have further questions, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with your inquiry (also include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary).

• suevensueven Member Posts: 79
    Amen!!! Getting a new engine as we speak but will probably never put my kids in the truck again. Interested in starting a class action suit - only takes 3 of us and lord knows there are more than 3 of us stuck with this piece of crap!!
  • bill9thrillbill9thrill Member Posts: 7
    I'm game. Our 2010 has been towed to the dealer 4 times, has a new engine (at 40k miles!) and most recently now will not start from time to time. We bought this vehicle brand new so we would not have to continue to have a car payment. Well, we just passed 50k and have little to no faith it will outlast the payments.
    bill9thrill,
    We're sorry to hear that you've had these troubles with your Equinox! If you would like for us to look into the situation further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

Sarah, GM customer Service
    edited January 2013
    I did Sarah - you offered a 2000 credit towards a new GM peice of junk and you did not allow my call to be escalted to higher level management! Not acceptable. Refuse to put my kids in this death mobile. Will be rounding up as many folks as I can - maybe you will listen then!!
    Getting a new engine as we speak but have not desire to continue to drive the death mobile.. especially with my kids. Looking for anyone interested in participating in a class action suit. Any takers - the publice and all other Equinox owners need to know about these problems before someone gets killed.
    Mine consumed a quart every 800 miles - getting a new engine now - just want them to take the truck back....
    Any intersting in joining a class action suit? GM needs to make good for all the owners they have screwed!
    you had to pay 885? that is insane when these are know problems. looking into starting a class action suit - any interest - this nonsense has to stop! GM needs to make good on these trucks with known issues!
    edited January 2013
    Send me your email - I will collect as many as I can and will be contacting an attorney. So far we have 5.
    good luck - the problems with this truck as so well known I hope you can get a decent trade in. I thank god I leased so I can return this piece of junk at the end of the term
    I am getting a new engine as we speak but will have no confidence in the vehicle either - will never put my kids in this truck again. Will be looking into starting a class action suit. Please send me your email adresss if you are interest or would just like to be kept informed.
    What GM is doing is despicable - they know there are major issues - make it right - take back the leased vehicles and replace the purchased ones before someone looses their life!
    I will be sharing my horrible experience with the world. Also exploring a class action suit. Please send me your information and I will keep you posted on the findings of my attorney.
    GM should be ashamed of themsevles!
    I am in the same boat..... how can they be allowed to get away with this - guess someone will have to be seriously injured or worse. Looking into a class action suit - send me your info - I can keep you posted. They need to make this situation right.
    They are not going to help and offering 2000 credit towards a new piece of junk is an insult!! looking into a class action suit, please sne dme your info if you would like to know what I am able to find out.
  • camncali9camncali9 Member Posts: 4
    Wow! I'm shocked at the number of ppl having engine problems with this car. Can you tell me is this the 4 cyl engine? I have 60K+ on my 2010 but I have the V6 and haven't had any of the problems described here. Anyone having probs with their V6 engines? It's scary what everyone is going through. I use this car mostly for my business so my kids are not in the car very much, but I feel for everyone who needs to use this car to transport their kids. Good luck to everyone with the class action, hopefully GM will do something about it before it gets to that point, they need to step up and back up their vehicles!
    Please let me know if you get anywhere with the State Attorney General. I have had it.....
    My problems are with the 4 cyl engine.....
    Glad you are not experiencing the same problems. It is a nightmare!
    Please let me know if you have gotten anywhere - I have had it. THe equinox is a complete nightmare and GM should stand behind their product and make it right - not how they see fit but in a manner that will satisfy the consumer.
    please place a complaint on safercar.gov - GM is not being responsive - maybe if we all complain they will have to do something! They need to recall these vehicles and make this situation right.
    Looks like most with new engines are not getting much relief... I am getting a new engine as we speak however I will never put my kids in the truck again - it is nust not safe.
  • rski43rski43 Member Posts: 13
    Dumped my 2010 last May w/ 26,000mi on it, started the oil thing around 18,000 or so miles, I wasn't going to do the "dance" back & forth to the dealer ump-t-ump times. My time is too valuable. I wonder how the folks w/ new engine are faring & how 2013 4cyl models are doing?
    I can let you know after I get it baack but really hope not to have to drive it - thinking I will park it until the end of my lease and get a new vehicle - clearly not at GM......
    This is such as shame that this is happening to so many people and they are not doing the right thing.
  • llamitiellamitie Member Posts: 13
    Thank you! I will. Also writing to NY State Attorney general...GM and the dealership. I do NOT feel safe in my car and I dont want it anymore either.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I believe GM is oing to replace the 2.4 liter Ecotec with a new 2.5 liter engine across all of its models. It has started with the new 2013 Malibu this year. I assume the Equinox will get the 2.5 liter engine next year.
  • farmboy98922farmboy98922 Member Posts: 6
    I had a new engine at 92000 miles. I now have 97000 and so far so good. No oil use.. I have had a lot of other things go bad, fuel pump, exhaust manifold cracked, air canister large leak, ABS wheel sensor, Trunk switch, but GM covered most of them. I have had a real good experience with my dealership and GM has stepped to the plate every time. My warranty is about to expire so i am hoping for the best.
  • duetsuduetsu Member Posts: 36
    Ok - I had the last of the oil consumption tests done at the dealer yesterday, and no surprise, the tests confirm that yes, the engine is consuming an excessive amount of oil. The dealer is contacting GM Quality about this issue. I'm waiting to find out what GM tells them. Also, the oil pan has begun leaking on the floor. I took pictures to show the dealer and when they checked it, they told me that it needs to be replaced, but didn't schedule this to be done at present if the engine is going to be replaced (AS I WNAT IT TO BE). I certainly hope that GM stands behind the warranty. I'll keep the forum posted going forward. If they don't replace the engine, I want to be part of the class action suit.
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    I will participate if a someone is serously filing a class-action suit against GM, please keep this group informed. Thanks
  • archer42archer42 Member Posts: 4
    my 2010 nox has 14000 miles on it my dealer in glenview il has been very good at fixing my car, when i told them i was putting oil in it every month, i only drive about 500. miles a month, they took the car and gave me a rental on the spot. they said they have seen this problem b4 and 5 days later my nox was back with a new engine no problems me happy, i hope their r no more troubles with nox.
  • archer42archer42 Member Posts: 4
    willing to get in on the spot. new engine at 14000. miles and new rack and pinion the 1st the yr.
  • lsb1955lsb1955 Member Posts: 17
    You should be thankful that you have a dealer that is willing to work with you. We purchased our Equinox in one town but decided to have it serviced in the town that I work. They were awful and so was the one that we purchased it from. We have finally found a good one that we will be doing business with from now on. I have a new engine, fuel pump, and fuel injectors. So far, so good.
    Thanks ! I am very grateful that the dealer I have is so good to work with me. They are not the dealer that I purchased from either. That dealer had the WORST service dept and did not treat my concerns well. I hope that your car troubles are over
    My husband and I are seriously researching the class action suit as even though I just got a new engine - this is not what I singed up for when I picked this vehicle. We both feel strongly that GM should either replace the vehicles or allow customers who are leasing to simply return them. I will keep you posted with the information regarding the class action. So far I know it will only take 3 of us - and we have more than that already.
    Just picked up my truck with the new engine - I will keep you posted as to how it goes. So far this morning - the heat did not seem to work that great....At the least GM should compensate us as I have never gotten the advertised gas milage - how about you?
  • rski43rski43 Member Posts: 13
    I don't think its the 2.4 engine block & valve train so much, I had a 2.4 in my '07 HHR & it was flawless. It was not direct injection, it had regular throttle body/low compression engine (lower HP too). I believe it was the direct injection & higher compression ratio that was never thoroughly long term tested that's the culprit.
    My gas mileage has the average of 28 MPG.... I don't think ANY car has the estimated MPG as advertised.
    I NEVER GOT OVER 18 mpg......
  • llamitiellamitie Member Posts: 13
    Please take my infiormation as I would like to be a part of this as well. Im not on these boards every day but on my personal email which I have no problem sharing. Lisalamitie@yahoo.com. I too beleive I should be able to give my car back and get my deposit back that i saved up for over a year for! $5k. I want to be put back to the place i was before this ever happened. They have had my car in shop over 45 days and every day its a different problem. i have a new engine now (after a partial rebuild previously) but dont trust rest of car to function properly and even the little things keep going wrong...weird yellow spot on my radio panel...passenger door not functioning properly..airbag light goes off when no ones there...weather stripping fell off 3 doors...car bucked for a year violently...lumbar support blew..my heat makes a weird whistle noise when I put it on...my air pressure reads read the wrong tires...temp guage stopped working for 3 days...should I go on??? Keep me posted and thanks!
  • gjdeweygjdewey Member Posts: 8
    Just wanted to provide an update after posting my initial frustration in October. Just had my engine replaced with a 2012 engine and received reimbursement for my $1200 repair bill. Both covered under my powertrain warranty. All of the cylinders were scarred on the original engine. Wanted to give kudos to Mick in the Service Dept. at Jack Giambalvo Buick/GM in York. Once he became involved, things really started to move! I was provided with a 2013 courtesy vehicle for a total of about 9 days while my car was being repaired. Right now, I'm again a satisfied customer. However, I've noticed some infrequent transmission problems....doesn't shift from the lower gears and an occasional millisecond "blink" of dash lights. Nothing to take it in for yet. Thanks again, Mick! :)
    Glad to hear that it went so smoothly, archer42! Wishing you many more happy miles!
    Mick
    Glad to hear that new engine is working good. I hope to have the same feedback to share soon.....I too am very fortunate that Gearhart Chevy has been amazing to work with and very responsive. Never once did they give me the run around and attempt to hide the problems as it seems from this board many delears have done. GM is who I feel totally dropped the ball and could care less about their customers or brand reputation. I have lost confidence in the vehicle and whenever possible do not allow my children in the vehicle. I strongly believe they will not address this problem correctly until someone gets killed or seriously injured which will be a tradegy.
  • kzk8brownkzk8brown Member Posts: 12
    Please keep me informed also. I am due the engine replacement, the engine is on order. I mostly have had the oil consumption problem. I also average 21 - 22 mile per gallon, local driving or long distance. Makes not difference. I have been complaining about the MPG since I got the car. Its like talking to the wall. Get the B/S story. Will post when the new engine is in and see what happens.
    Sarah,
    I have been trying to call you for the last 3 -4 days about my car. The dealership FINALLY got the part in. But, when I went to ask about the incentive that you spoke with me about receiving to help out with the cost, They stated that it looks like they was able to knock off about $50, REALLY! I haven't had my car almost a month and you telling me that I CANT' GET A BETTER DEAL THEN THAT! On top of a car pay I have to pay over $700 in repairs. I just CAN NOT Believe this. Plus know no one is returning my calls when asking on what else can be done to help me out with this problem.
    Always great to see posts like this, gjdewey! Take care, and wishing you many more happy miles.
  • elove88elove88 Member Posts: 5
    I would love to be involved in a class action lawsuit. My engine was replaced 3500 miles ago. I still don't think it runs right. Seems to hesitate sometimes when shifting gears. Also the heat only blows hot/ warm air when I have my foot pressed down on the accelerator. If I sit at a stop light, only cool air blows out. I don't want this car anymore but still owe a substantial amount. I'm sure it won't be worth anything to trade based on the history. Please keep me posted if someone proceeds with this!
  • lsb1955lsb1955 Member Posts: 17
    WOW. I got a new 2011 replacement engine, new fuel pump and fuel injectors. I had to borrow my Dad's car because the dealer said they couldn't provide me with anything to drive. They had my Equinox for almost 3 weeks. I still don't trust it. We'll see.