Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi nox123,

We hope you're enjoying your new Terrain! It sounds like you're on the right path to taking good care of your vehicle. Keep up the good work! If there's ever anything you have questions about please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • lauridsdlauridsd Member Posts: 15
    I have been having the "Service Power Steering Soon" DIC message and the "ECO Mode switch circuit high voltage" issues intermittently as well. I've had the issue for years and the dealer has never been able to reproduce (as by the time I come in for a scheduled appointment, the CE light and DIC message are both gone.) The did charge me once to replace the actual ECO Mode switch, which at the time I thought was bogus, since a switch would not seem to be able to cause a high voltage situation, but I let it go. I got the "Service Power Steering" DIC message again yesterday, and the CE light was on this morning, so I drove straight to the dealer with the CE light still on, and they came up with: "The electronic brake control module has a bad ground and needs to be replaced." Cost: $419!

If this doesn't fix the issue, I am going to be...disappointed, to put it mildly.

I will let you know how it goes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2013
    From reading scattered reports here and there (like on warrantyweek.com), it seems that a 2 to 3% failure rate for car parts is pretty good. Less is better of course, but the companies have to set aside money (in their accounting) to cover warranty costs, and higher rates affect their balance sheet.

And like you say, 1 or 2% isn't a lot on a percentage basis but when there are lots of sales, the actual numbers seem high. And it really stinks when the issue hits your car!
  • jpatrick2jpatrick2 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for posting your letter from GM.
    I made a copy of it for my file, but I'm wondering if any others have gotten this letter. I have a 2010 and so far no letter from GM..
  • knw82knw82 Member Posts: 3
    I haven't gotten a letter on for my 2010 either. Which doesn't matter because i know these issues exist. I have had to replace the high pressure hose this year and just had the engine repaired.
  • franfolfranfol Member Posts: 3
    I sold my 2010 equinox and bought a Great Honda Pilot that I love so much! This is a super "luxury car that drives like a gem. As soon as I sold the Chevy I received a letter from a lemon law attorney on the 2010 equinox. I followed through and sent them all my invoices from the dealer for the last three years. I can still get a settlement without owning the car. Now just waiting to see what transpires.

I will keep all updated on any progress.
  • didhedorightdidhedoright Member Posts: 15
    received the letter but the pump issue had already occured and repaired by the dealer in 2012, mechanic said they alreasdy knew the situation back then so I am surprised that the letter comes out in 2013 only....
  • kwnoxcakwnoxca Member Posts: 8
    I got this letter 2 wks ago. Is this related to the engine pinging issue? my 10' equinox constantly has this issue. the dealer updated ECM approx. 1 yr ago but it didn't work. now they insists that's the inherent noise from DI engines even when I took this letter to them. I guess they'd rather wait until the engine completely fails?!
  • jessequinoxjessequinox Member Posts: 13
    I also received this letter last week. I am currently on my 4th timing chain and would have loved to have this earlier. I am now past the mileage listed on the letter to have it fixed by. I am going into the dealership tomorrow for another issue (wheel bearing replacement), and will bring my letter to see what they can do about it. I really would love to get this replaced and covered by GM as I do not want to cover this out of my own pocket. My letter stated to have the repairs done by 193,000km (in Canada), but I am at 206,000 now myself (I was at 205,000km when I received the letter - they were just teasing me apparently). I am starting to get that loud engine noise again (that preceded all of my other timing chain replacements). I did have my engine replaced at 135,000km, but the timing chain and guide pins were not part of that replacement. I cannot wait to get out of this car!
  • elli2elli2 Member Posts: 15
    Was everyone supposed to get this? I have a 2010 and did not. My engine was already replaced at 43,000 miles and it's running okay, but I don't like the fact that pseudo-recall letters are going out and I haven't gotten one.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I have seen elsewhere others have received the letter a various times, one today. I should imagine they will send you one also. If you have your vehicle registered at my.gm.com you should see the info on extended warranty there
  • cjgacjga Member Posts: 18
    I have not received a letter but I think I should. I had the terrible noise issue plus the HVAC issue. Parts were replaced less than a month ago, now I am seeing the need to aid oil. My oil life shows 79 % of life left. The dealer put in 4 quarts on 7/23/2013. I've filled up my car twice since then and today I added a quart and half of oil. Last week I added nearly a quart. The oil light never comes on to show low oil, but It was surely low. I have purchased four new GM cars before, but nothing like this Equinox 2010. By the way I use Moboil 1 oil.
  • jessequinoxjessequinox Member Posts: 13
    I just got back from the dealer, the letter is based on 2010 and 2011 engines (2.4L 4 cylinder). When they replaced my engine with a 2012 engine, these components mentioned in the letter are changed as well. So no need for me to have these done. So if you have had the engine replaced with a 2012 or 2013 you will not have to have the repairs mentioned in the letter (according to my dealership). They actually had the mechanic go in and check (no charge to me) to double check.
  • duetsuduetsu Member Posts: 36
    DO NOT RELY on the oil life monitor!!!!!! I can't stress this enough... keep checking your oil. I had the same issue - contact GM customer service and get a case file going. Get your dealer to do an oil consumption test - a necessity that has to be completed to prove the engine problem and get GM to replace the motor.
    At the end, as my dealer was doing the last oil consumption test ( they were checking the oil every 800 miles for 5 different trials), the oil pan developed a crack in it. Also keep an eye on what the dipstick shows - during the last test, when I was checking the oil, there was a white, snotty type of substance on the stick.
    Its a hassle I know, but GM in the end stood behind the power train warranty and my dealer installed a new engine.
    Hello,

We are sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with your Equinox, and understand the frustration this may cause you. We would also be more than happy to contact your dealership regarding your concerns. If there's also any additional recall information we can look into for you please let us know.

Thanks

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • coolrodzcoolrodz Member Posts: 1
    Have all the problems stated here. Loud engine, burns a lot of oil and weird throttle response - like a clunking and hesitation(at times). Gone to the dealer about it and taken it in every time we get a letter. Its a 2010, bought in 2011 with 22k on it. It only has 44k on it now. TODAY- leaving work going about 35 to get out of the complex- NO throttle response at all. speed went down to about 22 and no response from the pedal. Had to pull over, shut the car off and restart- then seems to work. Called the dealership on the way home (hurd.com) and they said warranty has expired unless drivetrain. But- been there before with this issue- his response- not THIS particular issue. I said its the same damn issue just getting worse. HELP! I need a letter too!
    jim
  • tlocketttlockett Member Posts: 8
    My car did the same thing. I had to greet a new throttle body, which I may add is NOT covered by the warranty. It costed me $900. I needed a letter like yesterday. My car is giving me the blues. It sounds like a diesel truck, Ihave to keep putting oil in it, it stails on. . me, and now my air is going in and out. I will be doing a voluntary repo next week. Cause I went to trade it and the most anyone will give me was $5500 I owe twice as much that ain't. I can't keep riding around knowing gas is getting in my engine.
    It is so odd.....all these same conditions......What went wrong Chevy????
    Hello Coolrodz,

I certainly can understand the frustrations associated with a vehicle not operating as desired. If you would send me, your full name, address, phone, VIN and the name of the dealership you are working with to socialmedia@gm.com (attn: Marlea) with a brief summary of your concerns. I‘ll do my best to look into your concern and find you a satisfactory resolution. I look forward to your response and working with you.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Service
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    I have a 2010 2.4 engine in a Chevrolet LTZ Malibu. ----- The Malibu engine is NOT a "direct injection engine," and there in lies the problem with the Equinox engine. ----- My Chevrolet runs very well, and I am very satisfied with both the quality of the vehicle, and the performance of the 2.4 engine. ----- Too bad GM did not put the same engine in the Equinox. ----- In addition, too bad GM did not take a "proactive action," when they found out that the Equinox engine had some major problems. ------ The equinox is a beautiful vehicle, and it could have gone "head to head" with the imports, but with the "engine problems," and the lack of a "pro-active approach" to the correction of the engine problems by GM, this has diminished the "luster of the vehicle!" ----- Too bad that the management of GM was so "short sighted" in terms of customer service. ------- Since I put on a lot of highway mileage in a VERY short period of time, I am always looking for a replacement vehicle. ------ I constantly monitor Edmunds in terms of engine longevity and vehicle quality. I will take a hard look at the 2014 Malibu and the 2014 Impala 4 cylinder vehicles. ----- I believe that the 2013 Malibu has the 2.5 four cylinder, so I will be watching the reports on this engine on Edmunds over time. ------ If the 2.5 engine performs well, then I will visit my dealer for a test ride of the two vehicles. If the equinox also shares the same engine I will also include this vehicle. ------ QUESTION: ---- Why would I consider a vehicle that has "on-going engine problems" that GM refuses to deal with in a professional manner. ---- The "suits" at GM do not understand that: ----- 1.) People share information on the net. ---- 2.) People what a "high quality product" for their hard earned dollars. ---- 3.) People want to be treated in a professional manner when something goes wrong. ---- 4.) People want any warranty problem handled efficiently and without inconvenience to the customer. ----- When a problem occurs, it is the obligation of GM to get the needed information to the dealership along with the necessary parts to correct the issue in a timely / professional manner. Telling a service customer that "GM is working on a fix" does not help the customer with a problem vehicle. (They are driving the vehicle on a daily basis while GM comes up with a "fix!") ------ QUESTION: ---- Why is this so hard for GM management to understand? ----- This is not only a GM problem! ---- Ford and Chrysler are also guilty of this "poor quality of after the sale service." ----- I could purchase and / or lease any vehicle of my choice from a foreign to a domestic. ---- "After sale service" is a number one issue with me because my vehicles are my office! ------- The dealership must be able to deliver timely / professional service that is supported by the manufacturer. ---- I will purchase any nameplate that can deliver this kind of service. In return, I will give the dealership all of my service business. ------- Best regards to all! -------- Dwayne
    So well said.................You should be in the front office of GM
    Thank you for your very kind response to my posting. ---- I appreciate your support. ------ The secret to "success" for any vehicle manufacturer is to put the customer first in all of their decisions. ------- If they do that, ----- the customers will support the nameplate! ----- Have a great day! ------ Dwayne
  • coolrodz1coolrodz1 Member Posts: 1
    thanks for all that. well said. I was looking online for cars and avoided anything that had the 'direct' engine in it. Actually considering a Ford for the first time...OI!
  • nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    With respect to GM service and the owners responsibility....Owners carry a large part of reponsibility when they purchase any vehical or product and if you do not follow the Mfg warranty plan and service guide lines you will no doubt have issues when there are serious problems that require Mfg warranty backing. Being said; I also experience issues with my 2010 4cyl Nox including replacment of Timing chain, Fuel Pump and various reprograming for other components.. The GM service I received was excellent; there was never any cost for any warranty work and I always was offerd a loaner car and no nonsese just good normal business. This 2010 vehical was recently traded for anothe New GM 2013 SUV and everthing is just fine with New Terrain and service. Follow the basic instructions and let GM make the warranty repairs.
    I am VERY happy that you had an outstanding experience with your warranty service. That is the way it should be! ---- But many people on this board did not have the same warranty experience. When a dealer tells a customer that "they cannot duplicate the problem," --- or --- that "GM is working on a fix" they are just stalling the customer with regards to a repair, and that is VERY unprofessional on the part of both the "dealer" and the "manufacturer." ---- They are "using the customer" while the warranty is running out! I would never accept these excuses for a lack of warranty service. I would NOT drive a vehicle that was operating in an unsafe manner. The dealer has no legal right to force me to operate a vehicle that is NOT operating properly, and as such, putting my life in danger. I would legally force the dealer to keep the car in their service department until they fix the vehicle while they provide me with a "no charge loaner vehicle" of the same type! That is what I am entitled to as a customer as long as I maintain the vehicle as described in the owner's manual. ------ Some dealers are not as professional as others, and they like to cut corners when dealing with warranty repairs! ----- The bottom line is that customers in many cases are being abused by both the manufacturer and the dealers! ----- GM knows what is wrong with the 2.4 direct injection engine, and they know the fix for the problem, but are they willing to take the necessary action to make things right for the customer? ---- After reading the postings on this board, everyone can make up their own mine! The answer to this question is very obvious. --------- All the best to everyone on this board! ------- Dwayne
    I understand. Chevy just stepped in and helped me....and I hope that I can continue to say that.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    With all due respect, perhaps GM can not fix the problems with the 2.4 direct injection engine. The design flaws may be so expensive to fix that the engine requires a major re-engineering or redesign. Instead GM waits until a new engine has been designed that hopefully fixes the problem.
    QUESTIONS: ---- What happens to the owners of the defective vehicles? ---- Are they forced to drive these unsafe vehicles while GM comes up with a fix? ----- Is GM obligated to install the "new and improved engine?" ----- Where does the "customer" fit into the engine fix? ---- If there is a "design flaw in the 2.4 Direct Injection Engine," then GM is responsible for installing an engine that operates properly, like the 2.4 that is in the 2010 Chevrolet LTZ Malibu! ----- (It is not a direct injection engine, but it runs! I know this for a fact because I own this vehicle!)---- GM cannot simply walk away from these customers, and retain the positive reputation of the Equinox line! ---- People have invested their hard earned money in these vehicles with the expectation of getting years of high quality service. ------- GM has an "ethical obligation" to these customers! ------- Best regards! ---- Dwayne
  • jpatrick2jpatrick2 Member Posts: 17
    I received my letter today.
    My 2010 has 50,000 miles and so far none of issues the letter covers.
    I do have occasional noise on startup for which there is a tech bulletin, of course the three times I've had it in they could not duplicate. Got it on video though.
    Maybe someday that video and 5 bucks will get me a cup of coffee in the dealers waiting room.
    You should take your "video" of the "start-up noise," and show it to the Service Manager of the dealership! ------ You have the proof! ------ It is up to the "service department" to find the solution to the problem. ---- I service my 2.4 every 2500 miles. ----- If my engine should develop a "start up noise" my vehicle would be in the dealership immediately, and GM would not have a leg to stand on with regards to the extended warranty since I service the oil & filter twice as often as recommended. ----- We, as customers, must recognize that manufacturers do not want to do warranty work "if" they can possibly avoid the process. ---- They will put more effort into "avoiding the warranty work" than actually doing the work! ---- It is all a numbers game. This is why it is so important to keep all of your service records at the selling dealership, and not use aftermarket oil & filter services. This will simply give them excuses to void a warranty or not perform the warranty work. ----- All the best to everyone! ----- Dwayne
  • howzz1854howzz1854 Member Posts: 6
    my wife and i too fell victim of this issue. two days ago i was driving home, and all of a sudden POP. the lumbar support went limb. now there's a cavity inside the driver seat. based on this forums' suggestion, i called the local dealer yesterday and told them about the problem, they said to bring it in and they'll do a free diagnostic. they specifically said diagnostic is free. so we got up bright early this morning, my wife and i, and went to the dealer, only to be told that it'll be $109 just to look at the problem, and could be more if it costs more. we told them about the TSB PI0246A, and the guy said the TSB is just a procedure and it still costs money. correct me if i am wrong but this is not our first car, in the past we've own mitsubishi, ford, and Dodge. i've always had my TSB's taken care of for free at the dealers free to charge. this is the first time i am told that TSB's are not free. WTF. this is our first GM car, i was thinking about buying a new Corvette C7 after i sell my current SRT8, but now this is having me think twice about buying another GM car. TSB are known problems that are not severe enough to be a recall, but none the less, a known problem that's due to design flaw, therefore there is a TSB, why #$% should it be my responsibility to pay for a known flaw. the car is a 2010 chevy equinox with 60,000 miles on it. oh and just the other day, i was sitting in the back seat while the wife is driving, and i tried to buckle myself in, guess what, the back seat seatbelt rig bracket snapped. i am by no means a hulk, i am 160lbs 5'11", but so far this car is falling apart on us already. my 7 yr old SRT8 is holding up like a bull in comparison, and it had all its TSBs addressed for free in the past even after warranty expired (brake rotors, trunk lid, transmission flash etc). at this rate, I might just get myself a new viper instead of the C7.

is there someone i can contact? gmcustsvc? his email is not public.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2013
    The email for GM customer service is socialmedia@gm.com.

You'll have to hand type the address in since we mask the @ sign to try to foil spambots. It won't work if you just do a copy and paste.
    Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having problems with your seat. I would like to look into this further. If there are any open technical service bulletins for your vehicle referencing this issue, the repair would be free of charge to you. Could you please email me your name, VIN, contact info, mileage and the name of the dealership you've been working with? As mentioned above, I can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber].

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • turgonturgon Member Posts: 4
    My experiences include a rebuilt transmission and practically rebuilt engine this year. I complained to GM customer service in 2011 regarding the oil change programming error and asked to extend the power train warranty to 150k to assure my confidence in their vehicle, which they refused, offering me XM Radio instead. I replied that was a complete insult to my intelligence. Since 2010 I have complained about the transmission shifting harshly and strange engine sounds to no avail with two dealerships who could not replicate the problems. Finally my vehicle broke down this year due to the transmission and then subsequently failed an oil consumption test necessitating the engine overhaul of pistons, head gasket, fuel pump, chains, and cam actuators (sorry if I am butchering the explanation, I am not a car guy!) The dealership that has done this work has been wonderful. However, I can tell you that I will NEVER purchase GM again after this experience. I went the GM route as a patriotic gesture following the economic collapse and bankruptcy and will never make that mistake again. GM obviously only cares about the bottom-line and not the customer. I had need of a commuter vehicle 2 years ago and bought a Kia, which has run perfectly through the first 70k miles of my difficult commutes.
    I have a lot of respect for the "Customer Service GM Representatives on Edmunds. ------- They are doing their best to try to help the vehicle owners on this site when they have problems. ------ But here are the "all important questions; ----- Why isn't the same concern expressed at the "Service Desk" of the dealership when the customer presents their vehicle for warranty service? ----- Why are customers forced to drive vehicles with problems? ----- Why do dealers tell the customer that "they cannot duplicate the problem," when after picking up the vehicle, the customer can duplicate the problem one mile down the road? ----- Why after the vehicle develops a malfunction, does the dealer say; --- "GM is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix," --- when their service personnel cannot fix the issue! ---- NOTE: (If the vehicle did not have the problem at the time of delivery, and now it has a problem, ------ something has changed in the vehicle!) ----- Let's discuss these questions! ------ Dwayne
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    TSB's are Technical Service Bulletins, mostly for technicians on correct way to fix an issue. They are not recalls. If the troubles occur under warranty they should be fixed for free, otherwise it may depend, perhaps as goodwill coverage for a very prevalent thing, or perhaps not.
    edited August 2013
    hey Ray,

i never said they were a recall. and this is not my first vehicle. TSB's are widely known problems that has been identified, that's not severe enough to become a recall because it does not cause immediate safety concern, but none the less are design flaws that the issue have pop up very often that there is a TSB to address the wide spread problem, so the technicians won't have to diagnose the problem from the beginnning, none the less are due to design flaw and the problem is wide spread. if going by what you say of "goodwill", then what does that say about GM that all the other manufacturers take care of their customers' TSB for free, while GM does not?

my SRT8 is not perfect, in the past it has had its 14 inch Brembo brake rotors replaced due to a TSB, engine coolant flushed due to a TSB, Transmission fluid O-ring replaced due to a TSB, Trunk lid replaced due to a TSB, and radiator fan replaced due to a TSB, all for free. mind you the parts used on an SRT8 are no regular grade either. like the SRT, the 2010 Equinox is also first of its generation, so it's typical that kinks need to be ironed out in the first few years. i am ok with with being the ginny pig, but as long as those flaws and wide spread problems are addressed by TSB's not on the customer's expense.

i have already emailed Amber, hopefully she can look into this matter for me. the equinox is my wife's car, and the SRT is mine. i just so happen to be in between cars at the moment, trying to sell the SRT and torn between either the Stingray or the Viper. as a car fanatic, customer care and repairs are very important to me. the last thing i want to do is drop a whole lot of dough on another weekend track car that does not have the customer service and repair to back it up.
    You are correct in looking for "Customer Service" before you put down your hard earned money on a vehicle! ----- I have no problem with a new vehicle needing warranty service, and I will work with the selling dealer with regards to that warranty work in a professional manner, ---- but on the other side of the issue, I want to have outstanding service from both the "manufacturer" and the "dealer" in terms of keeping me "on-the-road" when something goes wrong! ----- If a defect shows up, I expect timely / professional service to put the vehicle back into it's proper condition as designed. ----- This is why I am NOT driving a 2010 Ford Mustang at this point in time. ---- Where I live, the Ford dealers have a VERY POOR reputation with regards to service. So, as such, I cannot purchase a Ford Mustang. While I would love to have a Mustang, I purchased a 2010 LTZ Malibu instead, because the service reputation of the Chevrolet Dealer is excellent! ------ If I cannot get the car serviced in a timely / professional manner it is useless to me, and I will not own it! ---- All the best! ---- Dwayne
    I wonder what the economics are behind the dealer's decision to not proceed with readily apparent warranty work. I would think the dealer clears a profit from warranty work, but there must be a manufacturer to dealer financial penalty involved in uncovering too many warranty level repairs. COmpanies like GM should consider the power of word of mouth. The stories of my experiences with the Equinox have been shared with many colleagues, family, and friends! Multiple people have told me they will never drive a Chevy because of my experience. And I will NEVER forget being offered free XM Radio as some sort of phony consolation prize in response to my concerns.

To relay my own story regarding being forced to drive a vehicle with problems.... our Equinox broke down 18 hours after rushing my wife to the hospital for the birth of our second child! I thank God that the darn vehicle actually got us to the hospital. The transmission went in the middle of a busy intersection and I barely made it to a parking lot. It is too bad the powertrain sucks so bad, because the Equinox looks very sharp, legitimately gets good gas mileage, and has a ton of room in the back for car seats!
  • dowopdowop Member Posts: 25
    Turgon, Where is the dealer located at that offered you the XM Radio??
    That was GM Customer Service (corporate, not a dealer) offering me XM Radio in response to my concern that the oil change alert programming error built into the car was causing me to go way too long between oil changes, likely causing premature wear on the engine. I asked GM Customer Service to add 50k to the powertrain warranty to compensate me and give me confidence in the vehicle.... and they would only offer me a year of XM Radio.
    It may be a moot point now as the engine and transmission have been overhauled through warranty, but those repairs demonstrate to me that my concerns were real at the time. XM Radio was not the solution in 2011 when I brought my concerns to GM Customer Service.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I guess you are supposed to turn up the XM radio, so you don't hear the engine knocking?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I do not think it is about "economics!" ---- I think it is all about being professional, caring, and concerned about the customer after the sale by both the dealer and the manufacturer. ----- Once they have your money their motivation seems to die! ----- To earn additional customers, the motivation to be professional should increase! ----- HIGH QUALITY SERVICE AFTER THE SALE EARNS NEW CUSTOMERS! ---- Any new vehicle can develop an operating problem, but what the manufacturer and the dealer does after the problem is discovered separates the "professionals" from the "below average people." ---- This is what should happen in a professional world. 1.) The vehicle is presented for warranty service for an engine or a transmission problem. 2.) The condition is verified. 3.) The dealer should contact GM, and open a "case number" on the vehicle. 4.) All available information should be gathered from GM about the problem, and the fix for the problem. 5.) Parts need to be ordered. 6.) An installation date needs to be established. 7.) A loaner vehicle of the same type needs to be provided to the customer, ----- and 8.) A "step by step communication process" with the customer needs to be established. ----- YES, it is that simple. ---- Have a "GOAL," and and a "plan of action" to achieve that goal, and use 100% of your talents, skill and abilities in a focused / organized manner to achieve that goal! ------- THE CUSTOMER IS NOT THE ENEMY! ----- The goal is to "get the customer back on the road" in a "timely / professional manner" without any "inconvenience to the customer" and in the process, earn the "respect of the customer!" ----- Just some thoughts to consider GM! ----- All the best to everyone! ------- Dwayne
    i just don't understand why the dealer would tell us on the phone the day before to bring in the vehicle that the diagnostic is free. and then we got there only to be told the diagnostic was $109 or more. mind you we have a 8 months old baby, and i work an hour away. it takes a lot of planning for the both of us to show up to the dealership with both of our cars. and then it was almost like someone spat on your face and said "gotcha!". needless to say, it didn't feel good. i am not saying Dodge dealers are perfect, they're not. but at least they don't do stuff like this. they took care of the TSB's for free if a problem occurs and it's covered by it. one time my SRT8 overheated on the freeway. which turned out to be a faulty radiator fan. i looked up on the car forums like i always do and found out that there was a TSB to address the problem, which was a common design flaw that owners identified. i called the dealer, they said it's free and to bring it in. i dropped the car off, and by second day, the car was ready for pickup for free. i mean once in a while you gotta deal with them trying to sell you more services, and their parts are always twice more expensive. but at least they don't tell me it's free on the phone and then show up and said it costs %$%$.

but the best dealer experience i've EVER had was at another dodge dealer in orange county, where my wife used to live before we got married. the service manager was the dealer owner's son. you could just tell the guy took personal investment into the work he did. when i first got my SRT8, mind you it was the first year of its generation. i took the car in for regular service, and they actually took the effort and inspected the car while they worked on it. and they found the tranny fluid was leaking, and they found a TSB for it, so they replaced the o-ring and refilled the fluid for me. and they also told me to bring back the vehicle for a coolant re-flush because there was a TSB for replacing the coolant. mind you all this was on their part, i didn't ask for any of it. the procedure would've taken hundreds of dollars, and they did it the 2nd day bright early in the morning for me. another time the service rep entered the wrong oil grade number on the receipt. the car suppose to take 0W-40 (SRT), but the rep entered 5W-20 (R/T). i got worried and told the service manager (owner's son), and he told me, just to be safe, they'll flush the oil and do it again, and make sure it's 0w-40.

i've since moved out the OC and now live in Hollywood. but that was the best dealer experience i've ever had. the service dept was run by a guy who truly cared about his customers and personally invested his own time and effort in the work he did. he didn't have to inspect my car and find all these TSB, but he did. and now the car is still running like a bull. that was the first time i felt special being part of the Dodge family. we were looking to buy another dodge, particularly the caliber, but the car was later discontinued.

years later we settled for a equinox mostly due to the high mpg. i knew it wasn't going to be perfect knowing the car was first year model of its generation. and i knew there could be some issues down the road. but never in a million year would i expect TSB issues not be covered. had i known, i wouldn't have made the purchase. and it's not just this forum. you google for "2010 chevy equinox lumar snap" you see many other users around the country, some even said their lumbar collapsed with the same POP twice in six months.
    turgon, What dealer did you have the problems with that you had to go to GM Customer service corporate?
    You really like your Kia?
    It was not a specific dealer that caused me to go to customer service; it was the fact that there was a problem with the oil change programming alert and we were going way too long between oil changes due to the programming error. That is a problem that causes premature engine wear.

Yeah, I really like my Kia Forte as a long distance commuter car (140 miles round trip for commute.) It is very comfortable, has decent room for a small car, gets adequate gas mileage (33 actual mpg, good but not great), has accessories like blue tooth and good stereo system, and has produced very good reliability through 70k miles so far. I chose it over a Ford Focus as I could just never feel comfortable test driving the Focus. My Forte replaced a Pontiac Vibe, which I traded in for the Forte when it started producing problems at 170k miles. I put 30k - 40k miles per year on my commuter vehicles (Elantra, then Vibe, then Forte) for the last 9 years. I will go synthetic oil with the Forte soon at around 80k miles and hopefully get it out to 150k before I buy the next cheap commuter car! Since that will be in two years already I have my eyes on the new Imprezas since they how have high mpgs as an awd.
    Do you work for Kia?
  • nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    PLEASE!!! No one cares about the Asian vehical manufactures on this GM SUV site; Please get it right and take your Asian stories and fluff to the right BRAND. Again This is a GM SUV Forum; PLEASE NO FLUFF!
    I have a different point of view on the "Kia posting." ---- First, the person was responding to a question about the Kia. ------ Second, it just proves that GM is NOT doing their job in terms of "product quality," and "high quality customer service" after the sale. ----- I am sure there is a GM vehicle that could have been purchased in place of the Kia Forte had GM been "proactive" in their treatment of customers. ----- GM is reaping what they sow! ----- I don't purchase a Kia or Hyundai not because I am loyal to GM, Ford or Chrysler, but rather, because the "Kia" and "Hyundai" dealers in my area of New Jersey are "bottom feeders," and as such, they have VERY POOR REPUTATIONS FOR SERVICE AFTER THE SALE! ---- With the "quality of the 2010 Equinox," and the reputation of the "quality of service" from the dealer, (as posted on this site), I am sure that a Kia and the Hyundai could not be much worse in terms of quality and service. ------ What is fueling this site is the lack of professionalism on the part of GM for the owners of the problem Equinox vehicles. ----- I own a 2.4 - 2010 Malibu LTZ. I almost purchased a 2.4 - 2010 Equinox. My 2.4 is NOT a "Direct Injection Engine," and here in lies the problem. GM knows that the "Direct Injection Engine's Fuel pump is the problem, and it is causing the oil to be compromised by raw gasoline thus causing timing chain problems, --- cylinder wall damage, --- piston ring damage, --- and main bearing damage. They know that the fix is NOT just a new fuel pump and a new timing chain assembly. (That is only a "band-aid" on the problem!) ------ The cylinder walls and the rings have been compromised, and without doing a major engine overhaul, the engine will be an "oil pumper! ---- But GM is playing a numbers game. ---- Once the original warranty and / or the extended warranty is over, ---- "they are off the hook." ---- QUESTION: ---- How many of these 2010 four cylinder 2.4 direct injection Equinox vehicles are sitting on "independent used car lots" just waiting for the "unaware customer" to purchase the vehicle. ---- If GM wanted to do the right thing, they would call back all the 2.4 direct injection Equinox vehicles for a complete engine examination, and do the necessary repairs to make the vehicles whole in terms of operating quality! ---- That would do a lot to maintain the value of the vehicle in the used market, and their reputation in the new market. --- But that will not happen, because they believe that customers are NOT informed buyers, and they will purchase the Equinox line no matter what! ----- I think they are shooting themselves in the leg! ---- GM has a beautiful SUV that could easily go up against the foreign competition, but they are destroying the name plate by poor quality warranty service. ----- QUESTION: ---- When will the American Manufacturer's learn the HIGH QUALITY AFTER THE SALE SERVICE earns new customers? ------ Even if the public knows about the Equinox Problems, if GM handles it in a "proactive / professional / timely manner they will still consider the vehicle for purchase, because every "thinking human being" knows that vehicles are NOT perfect! ---- Someone at GM needs to "re-evauate the warranty procedure" with regards to the Equinox. ------ All the positive responses from the "customer service people on this site" mean NOTHING if HIGH QUALITY follow up service in not delivered! ------- Just some ideas to consider GM! ----- All the best to everyone! ----- Dwayne
    edited August 2013
    I agree with most of what you always say. I have had 3 Equinoxes since 2006. I have a 2013 now. I dont think the Kia poster has or ever had a Equinox.