Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• jlg44jlg44 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2010 Equinox 4 cycl and haven't had any problems. I think half these compliants are BS .Probably some Ford or Toyato owner making this up. Too many dumb problems and questions. Who as ever heard of adjusting tail lights? What do you expect to hear when you drive over a rough road?
  • brueggiebrueggie Member Posts: 46
    We hadn't had any problems with the 'Nox either until the whole center clusted stopped working. I knew there was a recall but didn't get notification from the dealer we bought from and didn't worry about it since nothing was wrong.

For the record, I traded in my Camry for a Fusion last month but am not making up our problem with the 'Nox ;)
    The reason I said that was I just had my wifes Nox in for a free oild change and I asked him if he checked to make sure there was no re-calls. His answer was yes he checked because they get paid for those also. He said there was none. Maybe yours was made before mine. Do you know the re-call # or any re-call #'s and I will check it out with the dealer.
    I will have to get the paper work out of the 'Nox tonight and see if it is referenced. We had a build date late October '09 and we picked it up 2nd week in Nov. I can't recall when the recall for the HVAC was announced but I want to say early December.
  • n2icn2ic Member Posts: 2
    How did they resolve your "center cluster stopped working" problem ?

My 2010 Equinox continues to have a major issue. It is described on another forum. Google "2010 equinox problem n2ic" and you'll find it.
  • carguy05carguy05 Member Posts: 30
    Hi, My taillights on my 2010 nox would only light up when the brake pedal was depressed all the way down. I brought it to my local dealer and he said it was a software adjustment on the computer. A 15 min. fix and it is fine now.The brake lights should go on as soon as you hit the brake pedal.
    Let me know because that is when mine was build and we also picked ours up the second week Nov.
    Sorry for the delay but here is the verbage for the 2 recalls:

09298 09298-F/CMVSS NON-COMPLAINCE-HEATING AND WINDSHIELD DEFROST INOP-REPLACE COMPUTER MODULE
    CC: 0090
    FC: 9090
    COMPLETED RECALL 09298 V2181 .3 REPLACED THE RADIO CONTROL

09333-SERVICE UPDATE FOR INVENTORY AND CUSTOMER VEHICLES-EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS DIAGNOSTICS
    CC: 0090
    FC: 9090
    PART# 20941961 HOSE
    RECALL V2195 0.50 INSTALL EVAPHOSE ASSEMBLYS

We also requested that the transmission be reprogrammed and here are the notes on that:

K5364 TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING WITH SPS

Stopped by this afternoon for the wiper blade swap, the service writer did it in 10 min and we were on our way.
    Thanks for the info:
  • central3central3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Equinox that I purchased on Black Friday, has been in the shop since last Thursday, I just learned about an hour ago that the dealership will be replacing the motor. I only have 5,800 miles on my new car and they are already replacing the motor. My car kept loosing oil and the dealership couldn't see where the oil was going, they put oil in the car along with a dye so that they could see where the oil was going, and it was just going away. Has anyone else had this problem with their new Equinox? this is the second time that I have had to have a rental car since I purchased this car, the first time the check engine light came on and they said that it was something to do with the emission. They replaced a part at that time, now they are replacing the motor.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Did the dealership say that the oil is going to the motor? Do you currently have a case with GM? If so, can I please have your case number? What is the VIN on the vehicle? This is the only concern you currently have on the vehicle correct? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • bjones6bjones6 Member Posts: 28
    For what it's worth, my 2010 Equinox had a two related center cluster failures this winter. At temps below zero it once totally failed--no HVAC control, no radio, no data in the display. Twice at temps between 0 and 10 deg., the radio volume would not adjust. When you turned the knob cw, the numbers in the display did not change, or even went down. Weird. I took it in, and they found a communication to console failure code set, but they did not know what to do. They said there was no service bulletin. Since it only happened in really cold temps and then only intermittantly, the dealer could not reproduce the fault. So they punted. I have had no other problems, so I decided not to push it for now. But if there is a known recall on this symptom (contrary to what I was told), then maybe I should head back to the dealer. I really don't want to have to deal with this problem in the grip of another Iowa winter.
  • kerry11kerry11 Member Posts: 12
    I would just like to tell you this is not BS I have an 06 and it has been in the shop more than I have driven it..... this car has so many issues it is crazy, I bought a new car because I needed a good running safe car if I would have know what I know now I would have never bought this car... I just hope you don't have the problems that a lot of us have had. I am now in the middle of doing the lemon law as I have had major things go wrong with my car and can not take the chance when my extended warranty runs out to have the car break down.....
  • carguy05carguy05 Member Posts: 30
    Hi, This is an easy fix. Definitely contact the dealer. There is a recall on installing a new HVAC module in the dash and re-programing the computer. Call the dealer first and make sure he has the part. I did not know about the recall until I had my car in for service and the dealer told me about it. If the dealer has no info, let me know and I will read you the code off my receipt.
  • khh2khh2 Member Posts: 4
    I have just 5k miles on our new '10 6 cyl LTZ nox. I have an appointment for 3 recalls and also the seat heaters quit working this week. Anyone else have problems with the seats?
  • bjones6bjones6 Member Posts: 28
    You're right. I'll call Monday. If you have the recall number handy, it would help me make my case immediately and persuasively. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • dmazzonedmazzone Member Posts: 20
    I have a new 4 cy Equinox, while I enjoy the vehicle, it has developed a very annoying high pitch whistling nose coming from the front end. It starts after the car warms up and goes away when you go under 20 MPH. The vehicle only has 3500 miles on it and they took it for a test drive with me and they heard it clear as day, but they don't seem to know what it is, but they did say it wasn't right. I got a message on my screen one day that said "AC is off, engine running hot" and they reprogrammed the vehicle, but I didn't go 10 miles down the road and it started right up again. I will be bringing it back and will continue till it is fixed. As anyone out there hearing this noise? One mechanic mention it could be a faulty fuel injection pump. Thanks
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    I'd be looking for something that rotates causing the noise - like any of the pulleys on the serpentine belt or the wheels themselves. Bad bearings can make whistling noises, and the noise can dissipate with lower revolutions.

Reading these posts about the 2010 Equinox is starting to make me sad. Maybe these problems are isolated in nature, but it doesn't sound too good. Supports my argument that GM has no business getting near sticker prices for these things. Yes, they LOOK better than the previous models, and they HAVE gotten good reviews from Consumer Reports, but it's just WAY TOO EARLY to say that "new" GM has conquered the manufacturing problems that plagued "old" GM.

I mean - if engines are being replaced ... that's pretty bad ...
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited April 2010
    Is it the 4 or 6 cyl that are being replaced? Is it for the same reason each time, and if so, what is the reason?

I have a friend with a 2010 Buick Enclave. Got it after nearing the end of his wty period on his 06 Mercedes Benz GL350. I'm saying GL, whatever it is, it is the SUV. Quite luxurious and a mighty fine ride when no problems but was an EXTREMELY problematic car. He bought it 2.5 years old and kept it 1.5 years. Depreciation still cost him around 10k/yr I think he said, PLUS all the inconvenience of being at the dealer each time. And he often only got their little something 200 as a loaner, which didn't even physically fit him since he is 6'6". Engine was re and re'd TWICE, once for a small relatively inexpensive sensor on the crankshaft that couldn't be replaced without the removal of the engine. And another time for something else, and also had to have the all wheel drive transfer case replaced. The car only had about 55k miles on it when he dumped it. It had never been off roaded or mudded to our knowledge (no tell tale signs of mud in small places underneath) and the drivetrain was considered idiot-proof as to being able to harm itself with inappropriate use.

Anyway, my point here is that he went back to GM which he has had as the majority of all of his vehicles over the 40 years I've known him. He has always seemed to pick the model that gave him very little trouble. This time it's the Enclave and so far, in 9 months of OS, he has had not so much as a nick of anything go wrong. Well, he did have one complaint that is a design ailment that plagues most cars of that shape right on down to Matrix sized, and that is an unbearable whump-whooping sound the air pressure inside the car makes if at any speed over about 35 mph when one of the rear windows is rolled down part way or even all the way down.

Otherwise not speck in the ointment.

But I have to agree with you, before I would purchase a Nox now, I think I would invest in a rental if possible or stop and ask every Nox owner I see at the mall and briefly ask them if they have had any troubles. It would help rule out some potential fear-mongering I feel might be behind some of these posts. One area of grave concern to me with this car (and maybe many more models?) is the degree of electronic ICU management. It seems that no matter what problem you may have, they have to hook a computer to interact with the car so it can speak and/or program stuff back into it. That is only as good as the people who supply the parts and software and who initially programmed things into the software. There will be so much potential for glitches from new and on down the road well after wty, it boggles one's mind. It gives whole new meaning to being married for life to the dealer........Maybe that was a deliberate design.. ?
    Thank you for your response, they make sense. But, would the pully and belts apply if the noise gets progressively worse the longer you drive, because thats what happens. When the car warms up and driven alot it starts squealing or whistling and lasts longer has the car gets driven alot. Seriously, the best time to drive my car is when it is from a morning start to about 20 miles out. Any other suggestions will be helpful as I am going back to the dealer tomorrow. The noise just about goes away when you go under 18-20 mph. Thanks again.
    Thank you for your response, they make sense. But, would the pully and belts apply if the noise gets progressively worse the longer you drive, because thats what happens. When the car warms up and driven alot it starts squealing or whistling and lasts longer has the car gets driven alot. Seriously, the best time to drive my car is when it is from a morning start to about 20 miles out. Any other suggestions will be helpful as I am going back to the dealer tomorrow. The noise just about goes away when you go under 18-20 mph. Thanks again.
    Well, I'm thinking more in terms of a bearing noise than a squealing belt. It sounds like something rotation and heat-related - which could be a bearing (in a wheel, or in any of the pulleys - ps/idler/waterpump - on the serp assembly). I'd take the car out for a ride to get the noise going, then bring it back to the driveway and try to make it happen there so you can narrow it down to a particular area. I know you say it goes away under 20mph, but maybe you haven't stressed it enough at idle to hear it.
    I like the Enclave and Traverse (the Lambda models in general) - again ... the styling is very good, fit and finish appears to be pretty good, but they've got two things about them I don't like:

Weight and gas mileage.

I really want the Equinox to be my next vehicle. It seems to have more of what I'm looking for in my next vehicle to complement my current "fleet", but I just cannot buy a GM product without a decent up-front discount to act as a hedge against future major defects that I feel pretty confident WILL occur. I've already lived through this with my '02 Impala with the famous intake gasket failure (a $1200 dealer repair). Very hard to believe at this stage in the evolution of the automobile that GM cannot put an engine block togther with gaskets that'll last more than 50,000 miles. Tells me that they're not testing some of the most fundamental components adequately. Will "new" GM do a better job of this? Right now the only indicator is the pricing. It's high. So maybe they're doing a better job of testing? Maybe they're buying better quality parts?

Or maybe they're just charging more to earn larger profits on the perception that the combination of better-looking vehicles and a brand "new" (leaner) company couldn't possibly result in the same mistakes being made again...
    Thanks, I am bringing your ideas to my dealer this week. I have spoken to others and they are on the same page as you that it sounds like a belt. It does get much worse when the car has been driven alot and very warmed up, like you mentioned when it is stressed. Do you think that if I turn on the AC that it would stress it more to make the squealing sound sooner and more frequent, where that uses a belt as well. I haven't had the need to use the AC yet here in MA. Thanks
    edited April 2010
    In addition to colt-hero's ideas, and your question of how to load the belts, try the A/C, but also turn on the rear defroster and seat heaters which will load the alternator. Since power steering is now done with electrics, then turning the wheel at stop will load the alternator further (a little) but not as much as when it was handled by a hydraulic pump which used the serpentine belt for power also.

It does sound heat oriented. Also, have the dealer check for alignment of accessories driven off the serpentine belt.

We use to use a bar of soap to quiet belts. DO NOT do this with engine running!!!!!! And in these days of busy families and remote starters from key fobs in the house and a lack of communication a person would almost have to undo the negative battery terminal in order to ensure complete safety doing this nowadays. (which will reset a lot of memory stuff like radio stns and many other things like computer error code resets etc etc) Gosh our cars are complicated these days...sigh..
    But I have never tried this on serpentine belts since that style usually don't suffer from squealing (as often) as V belts. But they are still prone to noise. My CRV will do it on a humid rainy morning but quiets down after warmed and dried up.
    edited April 2010
    Yes I am quite familiar with GM's infamous plastic intake manifold design flaw. But alas my opinion is not as forgiving as yours...Like Ford's 3.8 litre V6 headgasket failures a very convenient 5 to 10k miles past wty, I do feel (actually I am completely certain) that some of these weaknesses are not unfortunate problems that are hard to solve. No, instead I believe they are purposely designed to fail at a (preferable time for the dealer) outside of wty. They will often do a "goodwill gesture" but they have figured out that the number of customers who do not insist on the goodwill route, are greater in number than those who do, and consequently it more than makes up for the odd statistical case whereby they have to replace while still under wty. Both my examples above fall squarely into this class. There are many many more by other mfrs also.
    Thanks so much, I'll be giving this a try. Funny, how they couldn't figure this out when they had my car last week. But, you are very helpful. I wonder why my car at 3500 miles would have this problem anyway.
  • ksptexasksptexas Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know why it takes so long to get an Equinox? I ordered one on January 9th and as of today it is still not built (April 7).
  • terexterex Member Posts: 26
    Equinox's demand exceeds supply. . .multiple production capacity increases have been put in place but customer sales are still higher than the ability to produce them. GM just announced a second plant to build Equinox's. A dealer's allocation of Equinox also plays a role in how long it takes to get built. You need to have a 'heart-to-heart' discussion with your salesperson/sales manager to find out what the status of your order is. Most dealers receive allocation monthly. . .something is off if, after 3 months, your order has not been covered by allocation. Ask your dealer when they covered the order with allocation and the estimated build-date.
    I ordered mine on Oct 30th and got it the 1st week of Jan, so that was a little over 3 months. Not surprising for your 3 month wait. You'll probably hear something soon.
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Assistance. Your dealership should be able to call and see where it is in production. If your dealer has a VIN or an order number, they can check to see where it’s at. If you want to give me the order number or VIN, I can check to see where it is in production. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Assistance
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    I can only address your statement about a substantial discount from your dealer. It just doesn't work like it did in the "good old days". Dealers used to have thousands of dollars between invoice and sticker to play with. Everyone has access to what dealers pay for a vehicle now. Look it up and give me an idea where these thousands of dollars are supposed to come from. Also, until supply and demand get into focus, Chevrolet will not offer any incentives on the Equinox. We can't keep them on the lot.
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    Unfortunately ,This 2010 Equinox as others was very poorly engineered,Chevy-GM knew about this the many short falls of this Vehicle during their bankruptcy declaration.I still feel Gm should be stil ou keep this vehicle it may Bankrupct you. Too many Repair problems and Issues are Too numerous to list.Class action Lawsuit should prevail...
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    Nope, no problems at all.
    That's Great keep them on the Lot as this Vehicle is not fit to be on the Streeet,looks Good,Runs Awful!!!!
    All I hear is excuses,but no solutions as is the case with Chevy-Gm Equinox :lemon:
    Please don't hold on your breath while you await Chevy-GM Equinox supposedly exports to test drive your vehicle .I have been promised this for over 3 years. It their mot famous ploy... Foot-dragging!!! :sick:
    Can you tell me if the Nox and Enclave use the same basic electronic ICUs to program things into in order to make the car work. It seems that almost everything can be programmed or deprogrammed into and out of all the functions of the car. I have even read here that taillight or brakelight or headlight brightness can be programmed. Is this true?

If the same basic computer interaction hookup is similar with the Nox and Enclave, (and likely all GM product now?) how come the Nox owners are having a great deal of troubles and the owners of the Buick aren't?

This having to go back to the dealer to have a "code" punched in to control almost every function of the car, concerns me, and is of the greatest concern once it is out of wty. Can this info be downloaded to a laptop and may owners download their own codes if they desire?
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    You didn't address the question I asked. Where would you suggest this big wad of money come from?
  • red57red57 Member Posts: 18
    All you get is some one passing the buck to try to please you but they will not do what it takes to satisfy you. get there attention pull your order i had to. They do not care bout us only there stats posted my order number and got no help good luck. :sick:
    Those published invoice numbers are a sham. They come from either the manufacturers or the crooked dealerships (take your pick). The invoice numbers were bumped up on purpose to both increase profits and remove a lot of the variability in purchase price among buyers. As far as the supply on the Equinoxes - I think it's been orchestrated to either keep prices high (or keep recall numbers low).

We'll see how it all shakes out. If the cars are better this time around, everyone will be happy. If they're not, it'll be the end of General Motors.
    I looked into your questions and, unfortunately, was not able to find the answers you are seeking. I certainly don’t want to speculate. I’m not a trained engineer nor do I have access to extensive technical information.
    We are exploring ways to expand our access to that type of information as we grow our presence into new places and I’m sorry I wasn’t able to give you what you are looking for at this time. Thank you,
  • red57red57 Member Posts: 18
    See passing the BUCK !!!!! no help no answers thats what i got from gmcustsvc. Got my $$$$$$ back and shopped 2011 KIA Sarento they bent over backwards for me For lot less $$$ and made in the USA. Figured GM would put a Korean Tranny in the nox i would get one readily available from KIA. I must thank GM for that for now i am very happy with our new Sarento get the EX you will not be sorry :shades:
  • pete2470pete2470 Member Posts: 6
    The light on the radio of my 2010 EQ somtimes dim or get brighter any one know why?
    Does it happen only when you turn your lights on and off? If so, that is normal to dim when lights come on.
    Thanks for trying.
  • gamehawkergamehawker Member Posts: 17
    I bought my 2010 LT2 4 cylinder last August '09 and had my first oil change at 2,500 miles even though it said the remaining oil life was over 70%. I now have almost 8,000 miles on it and the engine was really making alot of noise like a diesel engine. The remaining oil life was at 36%. So I checked the dipstick last night and there was not any oil on the dipstick. So this morning I am at the dealership service dept. and they said it was 2 quarts low!!! And they also told me that the engine is normal to use about a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. I have never had a car in the over 30 years I have been driving (over 10 different cars) that used this much oil, especially in a new car. Is this normal for this car and engine with everyone else experience that has the 4 cylinder?
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    That doesn't sound right. I'd monitor the oil and when it gets over a quart low take it to another dealer and see what they say. I've had no problems with low oil and went 6k miles before the first oil change (had about 35% left on the oil monitor). Who knows, with the first oil change they might not have put the oil plug or filter on right or tight enough and that let some oil get out and it wasn't actually consuming it. If it is consuming that much oil, there is probably a problem and it would be time to use the warranty.
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Did the dealership diagnose any problems with your vehicle? What is the VIN of the vehicle? Is the vehicle currently still losing oil? Thank you,
  • gamehawkergamehawker Member Posts: 17
    Mariah,

When I brought my Equinox in the service rep. Asked if I noticed any oil leaks when I explained my problem. I told him I park my Equinox in my garage and I had not seen any drips or stains on the garage floor. I do not think the dealership diagnosed any problems with my Equinox. When the service rep came to me after they took my Equinox in the service area he and I was 2 quarts low on oil. He then gave me a piece of paper and he told me that it is normal for my Equinox to use 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles. The piece of paper had printed on it:

2010 Chevrolet Equinox | Equinox, Terrain (VIN L) Service Manual | Document ID: 42519

Oil Consumption Diagnosis

Excessive oil consumption, not due to leaks, is the use of 0.9 L (1 qt) or greater of engine oil within 3,200 kilometers (2,000 miles). The causes of excessive oil consumption include the following conditions:

* External oil leaks
    Tighten bolts and/or replace gaskets and oil seals as necessary.
    * Incorrect oil level or improper reading of oil level indicator
    With the vehicle on a level surface, allow adequate drain down time and inspect
    for the correct oil level.
    * Improper oil viscosity
    Use recommended SAE viscosity for the prevailing temperatures.
    * Continuous high speed driving and/or severe usage
    * Crankcase ventilation system restrictions or malfunctioning components
    * Valve guides and/or valve stem oil seals worn, or the seal omitted
    Ream guides and install oversize servive valces and/or new valve stem oil seals.
    * Piston rings broken, improperly installed, worn, or not seated properly
    Allow adequate time for rings to seat. Replace broken or worn rings,
    as necessary.
    * Piston improperly installed or mis-fitted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

The service rep then ask me if I just wanted the 2 quarts of oil to be replaced or a complete oil change (which he recommended). I told him to do a complete oil change. He recommended for my Equinox to have the oil changed every 3,000 miles. I then asked him about the remaining oil life gauge which will allow the Equinox to go up to 10,000 miles between oil changes. He told me to ignore the remaining oil life gauge and recommended to change the oil every 3,000. In fact they put a sticker on my window that says bring back for service 10,936 miles (which is 3,000 miles from now).

I don’t understand if GM is advertising that their vehicles can now go longer in between oil changes because of this remaining oil life gauge why does this dealership recommend basically ignoring that gauge and to change the oil every 3,000 miles.

I am not comfortable with their answer about the excessive oil consumption too.
  • roushracing99roushracing99 Member Posts: 1
    Went out to drive my new 2010 6 cyl Equinox. It has 3000 miles on it. First the door entry hand switch would not open the back hatch door. I tried the manual button it would not open it and neither would the button inside. I then started the car and the engine revved up to 3000 RPM and immediately dropped down to 500 RPM and stayed. I gave it some gas and the engine RPMS would not go above 500 RPM's. I put the car in reverse and it creped out of the garage. The engine still would not go above 500 RPM's. I called On-Star and they diagnosed the problem as 3 different codes. They told me it was a transmission problem. They sent a wrecker to tow it to my dealer.
    Has anyone else had this problem and why would a transmission problem cause the rear hatch door not to operate? :confuse: :confuse: