Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• back2frontback2front Member Posts: 42
    Give it a rest !!!!!!! This forum is to seek out common problems and try to find solutions not attack other posters.
  • kristy8kristy8 Member Posts: 72
    Thank you back2front :)
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Sorry to bother you. I think it goes both ways here.

I am looking forward to reading kristy's problem is solved.
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    The problem affected more than just the defrost. My center console went crazy depending on how hot or how cold it was outside. If it was hot...my radio would change stations by itself and would raise and lower the volume all by itself. When it was cold...nothing would work. At first they thought the main computer board was cracked...then they thought there was a problem with the radio itself (deep in the center console). Finally...after reprograming the main console for the third time, GM sent out a tech and after a couple of days they had a new part shipped in. Basically I was told it was a "version 2.0" of the center console. A couple of months later they issued a full recall of the center console module.

PRESS RELEASE:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    CHEVROLET / EQUINOX 2010
    GMC / TERRAIN 2010

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: DEC 18, 2009
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V489000
    N/A
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: VISIBILITYEFROSTER/DEFOGGER SYSTEM
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 59031

Summary:
    GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 CHEVROLET EQUINOX AND GMC TERRAIN VEHICLES FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 103, "WINDSHIELD DEFROSTING AND DEFOGGING SYSTEMS AND WITH FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 101, CONTROLS AND DISPLAYS". THE SOFTWARE IN THE CENTER INSTRUMENT PANEL CAN CAUSE THE HEATING, AIR CONDITIONING, DEFROST, AND RADIO CONTROLS, AS WELL AS THE PANEL ILLUMINATION TO BECOME INOPERATIVE.

Consequence:
    DRIVING WITHOUT A FUNCTIONING DEFROST SYSTEM CAN DECREASE YOUR VISIBILITY UNDER CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS AND COULD RESULT IN A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE COMPUTER MODULE IN THE CENTER INSTRUMENT PANEL FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463 OR AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.

Notes:
    GM SAFETY RECALL NO. 090298. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
    Mariah,
    I tried to email you directly, however was not able to since I don't have microsoft outlook
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You don't need MS Outlook to email gmcustsvc. Any email client will work. What do you normally use for sending and receiving email?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Your absolutely right it definitely does go both ways... but I did not personally attack you.
    The Bottom line is that I am experiencing and issue and yes I am getting the run-around with much frustration. I have come to this forum for help and guidance and
    unfortunately I don't always have the time to proof read all my misspelled words, I currently do not have the luxury to sit down and breakdown every post I read and take them completely out of text. I am trying to get as much info as much as possible on a very limited time frame.
    Thank you roho1 I do hope my issue is resolved as well.
    really because I have tried using other email host with no such luck.
    I will try again right now. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let me know whether it works out.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our forum software "camouflages" the @ sign to trip up the spambots. So if you are cutting and pasting, you'll need to replace the @ sign with a "real" one. Or just click on the member name to get to their Profile with a normal email address.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Kristy8,
    You should be able to use your normal email to get through to me. Please let me know if you are still having any problems emailing me. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    Sorry I didn't respond for a while, but I wanted to wait a while to make sure it was fixed. After about 3 weeks and 1200 miles, I'm still leak free - so it looks like they got it right this time. Too bad it took a total of four trips and seven working days in the shop to get it done.

I can't complain about the dealership though - they were working with GM from the start, and provided transportation for me while the vehicle was in the shop. After having the transmission & transfer case, etc taken out and put back in (twice) I was a little concerned about whether they got it all put back together right. But so far, so good.
    kristy8:
    Please keep us updated with how your issue works out. I also have what sounds like a classic case of spark knock, but the dealer has told me that it's normal fuel injector noise. I don't necessarily buy that, but I would be much more concerned if we didn't have the 5 yr/ 100,000 mile powertrain warantee. I'll be trading mine in well before the warantee expires. So, if I melt holes in the top of my pistons, it's going to be on GM's dime.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    "So, if I melt holes in the top of my pistons, it's going to be on GM's dime."

On the other hand, if GM knows that issues now will cause engine longevity down the road, then that liability transfers to each owner down the road. And it starts with the original owner. Of course when I say 'liability' I am referring to $ in potential depreciation. Does it do it all the time or at times when pinging usually occurs? i.e. going up grades with a load, A/C on, tall gear, etc that sorta thing? If it goes away by changing to a high octane gas, then that will help protect the longevity of the engine, but at $ expense. I am not suggesting you do that for as long as you own it, but is good idea to troubleshoot to tell dealer. The engine should perform flawlessly on reg grade gas as stated in your OM. Best case scenario is they can reprogram or massage some software settings in ECU. But surely that is what they try first so..
    You do make a good point about increased depreciation if the car gets a bad reliability rap.

Mine doesn't always do it at quite the same times an "old school" engine would normally ping. For some reason, it mainly happens when accelerating at medium throttle and gets heaviest just before the transmission shifts.
  • mccoy099mccoy099 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, New guy here, Been a true bowtie guy for over 40 yrs and just bought a new 2010 Equinox LT 4 cyl FWD last week. Still have the 1989 S15 Jimmy 4X4 I bought new and a 07 Silverado LTZ Ex Cab Z71 4X4. This Equinox wasn't the model I wanted but it was all they could find and so far I like it very well. The deceleration between 40 and 25 MPH is driving me nuts. It coasts if over about 40 MPH and less than 20 MPH but decelerates in between. I hope the dealer can give me some releif with this. I would like to upgrade the sound system in the Equinox by installing more speakers. It has the XM Sirus radio with 4 speakers and I wonder if I can just add some additional speakers to improve the sound. Does anyone know if I can do that and will it help?
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    I don't know about the stereo upgrades, but for the deceleration it is unfortunately something you'll just have to deal with. I don't like it, either. It is my only current complaint with the vehicle, actually. The only thing you can do is make sure you have the newest ECM and TCM calibrations for teh vehicle (your dealer can check this in ten minutes - it is just software). The "new" calibration as of October production is better than the original one, but still not perfect. The reason it decelerates so much is because of teh DEFCO (fuel cut-off) feature and torque converter settings (for lack of a better term). My issues with the transmission behavior are well documented in the beginning of this thread. I wish they'd just make a "normal" calibration and forget about DEFCO, even if it costs 1 or 2 mpg in city.
    I agree the deceleration issue is annoying. I actually read this entire post before I posted so I knew you have been involved with it. I went to the local dealer for a recall issue with my 07 and the heated defrost fluid and while I didn't buy this car from them I mentioned it to the service mgr. He said they could look at it but I told him I'd drive it awhile and see if it got better. I only have 750 miles on mine but the rear visibilty is poor and mine has the manual lift gate and it is a pain to open and close. Someone with strength problems like an elderly person might not be able to handle it. I bought and installed a Drawtite hitch and went to the GM dealer for a wiring harness for the lights. They don't sell the harness separate from a complete hitch kit now so I had to buy an after market harness.
    Hi Ragtop 262
    Mine too!- although I have to say lately the more mileage I put on the worse it is getting! I have brought this to my dealers attentions 3x and I met with them on
    the 12th and so far there is a case open and GM-(is looking into the matter.) The only downside is GM is telling me it could takes a week, months etc., the only problem with that is I already contacted my states Attorney General Office and I legally have to give them 7days from the 3rd attempt (which was the 12th) to come back and fix otherwise I am suppose to be protected from the states" Lemon Law"
    I just want my noxs to be fixed. It is a secondary noise during acceleration now at even 10mph-when it orginially started at 30-40mphs at 5,000 miles. I use the best gas out there from one of the most favorable corps. I also use the lower grade of 87-which also I was told by the dealerships service station that actually is better than the higher and it has more octane than the higher grades. I have followed all maintence as called for. There is nothing else I could do at the consumer level. gimmestdtranny made a good point is this going to leave holes?
    Mine does it all the time and the dealership is trying to down play my situation
    saying that it's not really an issue, it certainly is an issue with me. Can it leave holes in the pistons? I already know that it's not my fuel pressure regulator, which by the way they were trying to say that's what the noise was, I was like "no I don't think so" this is a secondary noise and it's getting worse the more mileage and the more I drive the more I hear it. I tried all your suggestions in the very begining to troubleshoot well maybe it's this or maybe it's that, but with no prevail it's still there and I use one of the best gases out there, atleast thats what the dealership
    suggested right from the get go.
    edited August 2010
    As for potentially creating holes in the top of a piston, without hearing this noise, we can only speculate. But if, (and i do mean IF) this noise is caused by a severe detonation, then yes it is very bad for the engine and could put holes in the top of pistons (among other things). It is caused by gas that has faster flash point (i.e will ignite with less heat and ignite quicker and with less pressure in the CC. (combustion chamber) 87 octane is such a gas. Higher octane gases such as mid-grade and premium have a slower flash point, or some will say 'hotter' flash point, meaning it requires ignites a bit slower and is more resistant to more pressure in the CC, not affecting the timed interval it should ignite (the spark plug, sparking does this) This is a bit hard to explain all this online. I fear your eyes glazing over, and if we were together, I'd be talking with my hands and showing you visuals, lol.

But from here, I can't say what is wrong. Keep reading the posts and comparing notes. I do think that if detonation was the cause of this, the dealer would (assuming they are responsible and you have tons of wty left) not ignore it if they thought it could damage pistons. I do think that within the wty period the engine would fail. The problem is though, unless they gave you a new engine, then rebuilds don't always replace all parts that were under stress during the period the engine was misfiring.

As a visual...imagine inside your engine there is an area that gasoline is introduced to and ignites and explodes. And this is a timed (by the sparkplugs firing) and controlled explosion...which pushes the piston down, which turns a crankshaft because it is connected with (appropriately named) connecting rods to the crankshaft. Through geometry, it transforms a vertical force/movement, into a circular one, which naturally goes to the transmission, and then on to to power the wheels. Now...imagine if the gas were to ignite too soon. Before the piston reaches the end of its stroke (its range of movement as the crankshaft goes round and round) while it is coming up near where the explosion is going to take place in the CC. So imagine..if it explodes before the pistons reaches the right place for that timed event, then the explosions will try to drive the pistons back down right? But cuz it is connected to the crankshaft and with all the other parts of the engine operating in a timed-sequence, well it is still going to try to go to the end of its stroke right? (cuz it is attached to the crank which is turning) so this pinging or dieseling/knocking sound is the piston being fired fractions of a second sooner than what it should be, cuz the piston hasn't arrived at the perfect timed location for that explosion yet. And you get that sound so something has to give under such an extreme situation which the piston is not designed to operate that way, and the heat/explosion, eventually will literally burn a hole in the top of the piston...cuz the piston is aluminum and a softer more malleable metal than steel. So i will quit here, cuz now we're about to go onto metallurgy.
    edited August 2010
    Just to help clarify or correct your understanding of something for you....

What you said here:
    "is better than the higher and it has more octane than the higher grades"

is not accurate. Regular gas (or 86 and 87) is a lower octane than a mid-grade (91 or 92) and hi-test/premium gas (of mid 90's and up).

People get confused though because they think hi-test must be better than reg, but that is not the case. It is only different. And I explain this a fair bit in my post above as you will see. At the risk of being corrected on a technical term here, reg gas has more BTU (energy) in it than hi-test. Hi-test is needed for higher perf engines usually because they have a higher CR (compression ratio) and because all fuels ignite easier under pressure, the more pressure, the easier they ignite. That is why in a high CR engine, you want the hi-test so that the explosion doesn't happen too soon. You want that gas to not be so quick to ignite due to the higher pressures.
    And hence that is where the term 'dieseling' comes from, because diesel fuel requires no ignition source to ignite. Merely being under enough pressure will do it.
    Cool eh??!!!!
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    For what it's worth, I've got a '97 Taurus bought brand new as a leftover in '98. The engine has been pinging since day 1, but it's never had a problem (other than the pinging) in over 186,000 miles now. Not to say that there's no damage to the car's pistons (I really couldn't tell without pulling them out), but I'm guessing that this might be one of those problems that could be categorized as "chronic" rather than "life threatening"...
    You know what I just found very interesting I was on the NHTSA and I was going through all the recalls for vechicles and I came across the Cadillac SRX GM RECALL for connecting rod, piston break causing engine damage due to the fuel
    causing the knocking/pinging/rattling. I think beside the GMC terrian that the
    Cadillac SRX crossover is the nox's sister car(?). I don't remember exactly word for word what it states, but it's exactly what I really feel whats going on with my car
    all along, maybe it's pure coincendance.
    I mean yeah It could be ok to live with.. for some. However I want to feel proud of my purchase and is that acceptable(?) I don't seem to think so especially when my car payments are due each month. If I am going to hand over my hard earned money GM has to hand over their hard earned trust.
    O MY GOSH I am so happy, you really know your stuff and really have educated me! THANK YOU. And you know whats funny why I thought the lower grade(regular) gas had higher octane than the mid-prems was because that's what the
    mechanic told me at the dealers service station. I really appreciate your knowledge in this matter, I sent you another post in regards to a recall of this sort for the 2010 Cadillac SRX crossover, correct me if I am wrong isn't this car the sister car of the NOX?-besides the GMC terrain.
    Only the Terrain is a "sister" vehicle to the Nox. TThe only "dieseling" complaints seem to be with the 4 cyl (I notice it on my Nox with 16k miles, too, but don't see it as an issue). The CTX isn't even offered with a four cylinder engine.
    I mean It could be an issue? I mean "what if"
    what if it is doing damage to the engine? I really
    don't know I am no mechanic and all I can do is rely
    on what I get and gather for information. I just feel
    that when you buy a new car, it should
    feel, sound and ride like one. This one of mine
    does not feel or sound like a new car.
    perhaps I maybe to critical.
    I know the terrain is the sister BUT the
    Cadillac SRX is very similar is styling
    and design and I believe I read just (popular car mag on line)
    a min ago that it uses the same platform as the Nox.
    edited August 2010
    You are very welcome, Kristy. I am happy too that you appreciated and was able to grasp some of what I was saying.

Don't know tho about your question on the SRX.

One thing you could mention to the mechanic at the GM dealer (altho not the one who told u the wrong info on the gas, cuz he obviously isn't too on the ball) but ask them that a friend suggested that maybe the timing is too far advanced on the 4 cyl Nox's. If they can adjust the algorithm to retard the timing a bit this should help if it is a ping situation. I suspect that GM has designed a timing curve that is far too advanced and the reason they did this was to increase fuel mileage enough that the cars meet the overly optimistic ratings they gave it. That is an old trick from way back to get better MPG by advancing the timing a bit, but of course in doing so, you run the risk of it pinging too easy under load, if it is advanced too far.

Next time you hear this knock, click the A/C off right away and see if the knock goes away. That will help unladen the engine and be another clue pointing to a ping situation. Make sure you are not in defrost mode or it won't turn the A/C off even if you press the button. Just turn it to VENT or floor with A/C off. That will ensure the compressor is not kicked in.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    Manually retarding the timing to correct pinging is old-school. I would hope that the 2010 Equinox has a "Knock Sensor" which would automatically retard the timing when pinging is detected. It would be interesting to see if (real-time):

1.) The Knock Sensor is actually detecting the pinging

2.) The Sensor is actually retarding the timing

3.) The timing is being retarded as far as it can be (with pinging still present).
    Well I think I may have some good news, BUT I am not celebrating just yet, I made
    another trip to the dealeship and I spoke with one of the service advisors there and according to the service advisor...FINIALLY GM is making aware of the situation and has come back with that they are working on re configuring the computer componment and re writing the software for the Chevy Nox 4cyl. They say they will put a bulletin out sometime in September and I should be notified some time in Sept. So then I was like well can I get this in writing? He said well the GM rep will be notifying you shortly. So I am not going to start Celebrating just yet until the issue is resolved. So then I asked well whats the reason they determined what was wrong?
    The mechanic said GM has one guy working on all the cases that they were notified of and that the noise is the "spark coming from the ignition" Now I have NO idea what that means. So was my independant mechanic right along?-as posted in my earlier threads? I know you know your stuff in this do you know what they mean by that (sparks in the ignition?). I am happy that I had pushed this issue, this is a great concern to me.
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    Sorry to say,The Chevy Equinox has many major problems caused by major design flaws. Mine Vehicle does the same thing,but since it's constantly in the shop. My servicing dealer usually catches these thing before it gets too bad!!!I have nothing good to say about this vehicle. Chevy-Gm have refuse to address the problems I have complained about this Equinox over 100 times at 1-800-222-1020,all they ever Issued me was a case#No Solutions.
    Oh wow thats not good, I have a case number too and I am not taking no for an answer I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, the more complaints the more they are apt to investigate and hopefully start the recall process.
    www.safercar.gov
    I just wanted to keep you posted with my results and the knocking pinging coming from our engines. I spoke with the dealership today I actually physically went down and spoke to one of the service mechanics that tried to figure out what's wrong with my nox. He said He had spoken to GM and there is one Guy working on all the cases that have been filed by us(-the consumers). He said the engineering department is aware of the situation and are working on re writing and re configuring the computer software, he also said that the noise that we are hearing is due to spark ignition? I am not a mechanic and I don't have a clue what that means. BUT he also said that since GM is aware and looking into ... that this new software should be available by late September. I don't know if this is for GM to buy time or if this is really the case? However I asked for this info in writing and he was unable to give me any info at this time so he said the GM rep is suppose to be getting back to me within the next few days..........so lets see!
    I was told today that GM is working on the solution to the knocking/pinging coming from my engine-at (acceleration). I was told that the engineering department is re writing the computer software and should be updated by late September. Not sure if this is for GM to buy more time, or if this is actual. It's a prominent secondary noise- NOT THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR as others have seemed to have thought. (sparks within the ignition seems to be the problem) The service rep also stated it's seems to be only affecting 4cyl. BUT I can not confirm. ANYONE out there with a 2010 chevy equinox hears this noise from their engine NOTIFY your dealership right away and call GM customer service and start your case number, also file a complaint with the NHTSA at safercar.gov
  • rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2010
    I tested a 4 cyl. Equinox and I noticed that under heavy acceleration the noise coming out of the engine compartment was not pleasant.

I am planing to go back and test a V6 but I would like to know before hand if the bigger engine is as problematic as the 4 cyl. Any inputs?
    Well my 4 cyl has almost 1,000 miles now and I have run it pretty hard so far but it runs and performs fine. I even towed a utility trailer down the road to see if I had the hitch and wiring correct. No knocks or pings or odd sounds at all. If the sound some of you hear is detonation it will hurt a motor over time. I have been building motors and racing cars for over 45 yrs and I know that for a fact. I also know they should be able to fix it when they determine the cause in the machines what have it. I wonder if any of you with the problem live in unusual altitudes? Or are using unusual fuels that some states require now. I'm running 87 octane 100% pure gasoline with no ethanol and my state requires no additives and I live at 800 ft ASL
    Thats very interesting because the dealer service station had asked me not once BUT 3 different times what kind of gas I am using without saying the gas company I use the regular grade as recommended by the dealer . By one of the largest gas corps.....ryhms with Noble
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    ryhms with Noble

Ah, Exxon. :shades:
    Are you referring to regular grade as the 87 octane gas? That is the octane rating but the gas can have 10 or 15% ethanol in it and still be 87 octane. Or it can be oxygenated or have different things done to it to help reduce pollution in some states and cities. Detonation has other causes besides the old standard of low octane and high compression.
  • bjones6bjones6 Member Posts: 28
    My 4 cyl Nox has 14K miles now, and I don't hear any noises of the kind described by others. I use 87 octane Iowa fuel with 10% ethanol. My gas mileage has been excellent. I actually get 32 mpg on the freeway. Clearly, not ALL Noxes have the problem, but clearly, some do. Maybe different fuel is the issue, but I suspect that there is some difference between ones that are making the dieseling noise and ones that are not. Could be spark timing, could be noisy injector solenoids, could be a compression ratio anomaly. Since the factory foresees a software fix, I suspect the issue is spark timing. Software cannot fix a noisy injector system, typically, and compression ratio is set by the dimensions of the cylinders, also not software correctable. Sure hope GM can resolve this quickly; I'd hate to see this success story go sour on them (and me!).
  • rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115
    So far so good. Either not many problems with the V6 or most people are opting for 4cyl engines.
    If my van holds up I could also wait for GM to work all the kinks out of the small engine.
  • equinox13000equinox13000 Member Posts: 6
    Since the purchase of my 2010 Equinox in April, I have put 13000 plus miles on it. At around 12,000 miles things started going wrong. I have had my car checked on three different occasions. The first two were for electrical, a check engine light and a rattle. This last one was for the rattle (again), and a ping noise. I can tell you that they kept my car both times overnight and drove it all over the place to try to figure out what the heck was going on with it. What I have discovered is the rattle happens when the RPMs are at around1750 and I am driving at 55mph going up a 20ish% incline. The ping that I’ve mentioned sounds more like a cheap cookie sheet when you push on the center of it and occurs when I stop. What the dealer has told me is that it’s an axle. It seems that is the solution given by GM. I am glad that I just found this site and there are more people experiencing problems. How do I file a complaint? Has anyone else had success with the above mentioned problems?
    Hi
    When you can, read my posts-Kristy8
    were pretty similar with our situation
    I have posted alot of info. I have filed a complaint
    with NHTSA at safercar.gov-that will warrent an investigation
    if enough people complain, also make sure you bring this to
    tech assist through GM they will give you a lousy
    case number-which I might add does nothing but at least
    it's documented. Make sure you save and copy all
    your paper work from the dealership, depends where you live
    but you can look into consumer affairs ( I did )and working with them
    right now In hopes they can help me further.
    To be honest I just drive up to Mobil here in New England I pull in and I pump out the 87 into my tank.
  • amossbur1amossbur1 Member Posts: 6
    I am still having issues with my ipod and the sound when it plays. I have tried multiple ipods to make sure that it isn't just mine, and have discovered that this problem happens with all of them. The problem is that when the ipod starts playing and all the equalizer settings are on "0" the bass sounds like its about the blow the car out. This is the most noticeable problem there, but the treble and midrange also act very out of order. I have to have all of the settings at -10 to -12 for it to sound even close to normal, and the bass is still high. I can't get very good sound quality out of this and now its starting to affect the radio,

I have taken it in on 3 different occasions, all the Chevrolet dealerships, and they say to just keep the settings where they are. They tell me that no speakers are blown, like I feel they are from the sound of it. I have only taken the volume up to "25" at the highest, with the highest volume being 50. I can't even listen to anything above 20.

Has anybody had these electrical issues? I have had tons of them since I bought the car, but GM can't seem to do anything about it other than re-installing the computer software each time. HELP!!! lol
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Rockmobile,
    I am not certain what sound you heard but, the 4cylinder engines have ticking noises that come from engine. That is a normal noise that is a sound you will get from the fuel injectors. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • back2frontback2front Member Posts: 42
    Kristy, I also used Mobil 87 and I had the ticking and ping noise you have described. I started using the Mobil 89 and I haven't heard any noise since, maybe I just got lucky but so far so good. This has been noise free for about 3 months now and I also have noticed a little better gas mileage.
    With all due respect, Mariah, being a representative of GM and their customer service, it is wrong of you to say what you said to rockbottom, without actually HEARING the sound first! If you have read any of these posts, you can obviously deduce that there is in fact an issue with at least some Nox's because they are already saying that they are working on a software adj on the ECU.

When you read about cases like the one as recently as #515, who had the noise go away with 89 octane, further suggest that the pinging clicking knocking sound is "not normal", and for you to tell rockbottom without actually hearing his car, is not good advice if his/her car happens to be one that is pinging badly.

We know your job here is to try to put out fires, but please provide concerned owners with a few more detailed facts since YOU are closer to GM than any of the rest of us, you have greater access to new announcements. You should have said, see the dealer in a week or two to see if they have the new algorithm settings on the ECU in the hopes that that would help.
    I might have just missed this guys, but where did this discussion about there being a software update in a month come from? And what is the update supposed to fix? Thanks.