Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• e2137e2137 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I would definitely go back to the salesman and ask for the owner of the dealership to be present, that is ridiculous that your remote start doesn't work. If they can't fix the problem then they should replace the remote start and the starter, I would threaten to get the District Attorney involved. I don't know about your state, but my state has a lemon law and I would invoke that right away and make sure the owner gets this car fixed and working like new because that is what you paid for, don't let them waste your time coming back over and over for useless diagnosis, the starter and remote start have to be covered under warranty still, demand a replacement. These GM dealers are horrible. Over and over again online I hear horror stories about GM service departments that have no clue how to diagnose a problem or even fix a problem, at my local dealership every time i'm there, which is way too many times to begin with, I hear a new horror story about being there the 4th and 5th time to fix a problem. I used to own Mitsubishis, Mazdas and Nissans and I've never experienced such a terrible service department until I decided to buy a car from a floundering American company in order to show my support for what I thought was a great car, the Equinox. I hope someone from GM is reading these forums and passed this message on, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU PRODUCE A GOOD CAR IF YOUR SERVICE DEPARTMENTS ARE TERRIBLE AND HAVE NO ABILITY TO SUPPORT THE CARS AND YOUR CUSTOMERS. A BMW wouldn't be a BMW without high quality service and maintenance, for some reason GM still hasn't gotten that clue and we all should not accept anything but exceptional service and demand the service we pay for and hold GM responsible for ensuring that dealerships hire quality service technicians who treat our cars like it was their own car and actually SERVICE the cars, not run a diagnosis tell the customer to come back when the part comes in 2 weeks later and then run another diagnosis and repeat this process until months have gone by without a valid fix. Stand up to your dealership and Service departments, voice your opinion, fill out those customer surveys they send home and tell them just how crappy they are.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I believe these vehicles, at least the 4 cyl, use active noise cancellation through their speakers, so it may be related to that?
  • dynamicdynamic Member Posts: 2
    Me and my wife bought our 2010 fwd 4 cyl in August of 09. So far is been a decent car but has been to the dealer 3 times now. Our yellow check engine light would come on every once in a while but it would always clear itself. We took it into the dealer one of the times and apparenlty they fixed it.

Fast forward a few months, about sept 2010,.....the check engine light would still pop on sometimes but now the car was stalling sometimes, running rough ect. It also was using more fuel than usual. Took it in and finally they figured out our fuel pump was faulty. They told us that our car was basically flooding itself, gas was getting on the crankshaft? That was fixed and the car runs was better now, all is good.

Then last week, according to my wife who is the primary driver of the car, was driving to work and while in cruise the car started to jerk and stumble. She said the 'red check engine light" came on for a brief second but then the car was running like normal like nothing happended.

Any idea what could of happened?
  • heather_in_coheather_in_co Member Posts: 1
    This morning after driving the vehicle less than 5 miles from home, once stopped we attempted to shut the vehicle off. We are able to put the vehicle into park, however the key would not come out of the ignition. We then turned the vehicle ('10 Nox) over again and we unable to get the vehicle out of park. This went on for about 25 minutes. The engine turns over, but will not engage out of park, and the key cannot be removed from the ignition. OnStar was called, and we were told that we can call back tomorrow (???) to have the vehicle towed to the dealership.

Eventually we were able to get the vehicle out of park, and once on the road it acted fine. Keys are still stuck in the ignition. Cannot lock vehicle, even with spare set of keys. Removed battery so it cannot be stolen... Has anyone heard of this happening? The OnStar rep said to "jiggle the key in the ignition", which we did to no effect.

Thanks
  • whatsherfacewhatsherface Member Posts: 1
    We left for a trip, came back 8 days later to the airport where our car was parked. We tried to start it but it wouldn't start. Remote key wouldn't work either. We called onstar and they said if the vehicle isn't used for five days it goes to "sleep". We tried jumping it off but it wouldn't work. We called the dealership where we bought it but service was closed and the salesmen have never heard of a vehicle going to "sleep". Is onstar right and if so, what do they mean gone to "sleep"?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    All of these electrical gremlins I'm reading about in new GM cars strikes me as a bad omen. This was what drove me away from them several decades ago. Their QC and engineering need to get a handle on these things quickly or the success of vehicles like Equinox and LaCrosse could turn sharply downward. I guess we'll know fairly soon whether there really is a new GM out there. I like these new cars, but man these apparent electronic problems I'm seeing posted just make me more skeptical of GM's turnaround. I'm thinking I was smart to hold off buying anything GM yet.
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    It does not make sence tome that a car would "go to sleep" after 5 days of inactivity. Last year, when I used to take the bus to work, I would not touch my car for the whole week. How are you supposed to get the car to "wake-up"? I coul dnot find anything in the manual about this, so I think On-Star might have mis-understood something.

I had something really weird happen to my '10 Nox this weekend. I drove the car and turned it off. Sveral house later I got back in and turned it on, and the vehicle information window was now in German. I went to the main language menu, but Enlish was selected...and German was not even an option. I could choose English, French and Spanish...but German was not even on the list. I guess I;m going to have to learn German..at least until I can get this in to the dealer. By the way...if this happens to you,"Geschwindigkeit"... is speed in German.
  • rick622rick622 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Kristy8,

Were you provided a technical bulletin number referencing this firmware/software update? I know that my dealership will ask this question. I'm also aware that my dealership has had a representative from GM's red team (ENG staff for QA & trouble shooting problems like this one)

As far as the the official update, did they mention any specific date in November?

Thanks
  • rk1955rk1955 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 equinox awd 6cyl. purchased oct of 2009, it has 5000 miles on it ,3 weeks ago the transmission failed and had to be replaced. I drive it in a sensible manner. Trans seemed to be working fine . About a month ago I was going to back up, as soon as I put it in reverse I heard a loud clunk . I thought I hit something it was that loud. Checked the car out everything seemed ok. No more noises. About 2 weeks later took a short trip total 120 miles. 1/4 mile from my destination the car shuttered once and the trans. was gone . I had no reverse, it would up shift 1,2,and 3rd,but lots of noise. Chevrolet has put in a new trans. about2 weeks ago. Tonight while backing up I heard a slight clunk not as loud as before, but I'm concerned. has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks rk1955
  • e2137e2137 Member Posts: 8
    I had a similar situation where I was sitting at a red light, the car lurched forward and the engine began to stumble, the red check engine light came on. The light stayed on for about a day, by the time I was able to get my car in at my dealership the light had gone off, but I made them check the computer anyway. They told me the engine control module had malfunctioned and they had to reprogram it just to be safe. Since the reprogram, it hasn't happened again.
  • ajacks31ajacks31 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2010 Equinox in Michigan in Dec 2009. I thought it was the best car EVER! In the summer of 2010 I noticed my radio stopped working most of the time. Only FM and not all the time. It will turn to static and cut in and out. Took it to the dealership... NOTHING THEY CAN FIND not only was the rep a complete and total LIAR on the job because when I spoke to him he said "yes I heard the noise I know there is a problem we just can't get it to make the noise around a tech" my reply was "why didn't you call the tech over as soon as you heard the noise?" This was the 2nd time it was in for this issue. When my boyfriend went to the dealership the rep told him he never heard the noise... hmmm funny how stories change. He also had the nerve to tell my boyfriend he seen me outside of the dealership and said hi to me and i was rude and ignored him. Little did that rep know, my boyfriend already knew that I seen him and heard the rep say Hi HOT BANKER LADY (because I work at a bank?) so I flipped him off and went on with my day. This is just the beginning... the car sounds like its a bomb waiting to explode there is a clunking noise in the rear and the motor sounds like CRAP it is so loud when I go to fast food places they cannot hear me. If I wanted a loud car I would have pad $500 for a beater not $25,000. I am not happy with how GM has treated me. The car has been in 3 times for this noise and nothing has been done. Then I got a sunroof when I bought the car and I can't evern drive with it open bc the chrome piece by the shifter blinds me when the sun hits it. I almost rearended someone. Needless to say between the tech and the crappy car I wont be buying a GM vehicle again. :lemon: :mad:
  • kelly44kelly44 Member Posts: 1
    Do you happen to know what the code number was for your sticky steering problem?? My car has the same problem I took my car in to the shop they drove it and don't see what i am saying and they told me there is no code for this problem??
  • rockiesfanrockiesfan Member Posts: 3
    I'll have to check my paperwork. I dont think the vehicle returned a code, but they drove and noticed, reported as faultly steering motor. So far, so good......no sticky steering. I'll re-post if I find a "code." I did print some of these posts and take to the dealership to show it wasn't just my vehicle with this problem.
  • equinox13000equinox13000 Member Posts: 6
    That is what is happening to me! All of it!! My average MPH is 24. I drive 55 miles one way to work and do about 5 miles per day of "city" driving (thats three stoplights) I also have a vibration issue that occurs around 1700 rpms going around 50 mph and usually occurs going up an incline, but not always. I have been in the dealership at least 7 times with them having the car for up to a week without finding the problem. This problem has taken up too much of my time, energy and finance. To top it all off I have had a tough time with GM customer service...better know as customer avoidance.
    I have been telling my dealer about this since I had an axle replaced (GM's solution to the vibration issue I was having (talked about in previous posts)) a few months ago. I have been telling them that the car pulls to the left then the car feels like its slipping on ice toward the right. Its unnerving. I have had service tell me they have not felt it and therefore cannot fix it. If you find a way to reproduce it with service please post it. I am a bit nervous to drive it in winter.
  • jaime317jaime317 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Equinox that stopped unlocking about 90% of the time with the remote keyless entry about 3 months ago (after I had no problems for the first 6 months). It happens when the car has been sitting 2+ hours, and then won't relock until after driven. I have to use my key to unlock the door, and as soon as I open the door the alarm goes off. Obviously with this problem, my remote start isn't working either. I took it to my local dealership twice and they couldn't duplicate the problem and treated me like I was nuts. I then took it to the dealership I bought it from and after a bit of a run around there, they decided to keep it for the day. They had to call GM and was told it needs a software update. That software update may take a week or months to develop according to the dealership. This a great safety issue for me. I work nights in a not-so-nice neighborhood, and don't appreciate my horn blowing in the middle of the night drawing more attention to myself. My neighbors really don't appreciate my alarm going off either. I'm giving the service advisor one more day to get back with me, then I'm contacting the service manager and my salesman next. I had to order this vehicle and waited 2 months for it. :mad:
    I posted on the same problem. Mine also started at around 12000. I'm at 19,000 and I still don't have a fix. Make sure to document everything and get a record of every visit to the service dept...even if they don't get anything "fixed".
  • kynoxkynox Member Posts: 18
    Thanks......I have not taken mine back yet. I have the sound , video recorded.Noise only occurs when it is warm out and in the passenger door speaker only. When the day is cool or in the mornings I don`t have the issue. Have everything documented. Waiting for it to get worse.
  • kristy8kristy8 Member Posts: 72
    Hi Diane
    Sorry for the late response...haven't been checking the posts lately
    yes I did take my car to Commonwealth Motors in Law. MA
    the update was done, and I can't hear the noise any more-well
    atleast all the time like I was...I hear it on occasion , not enough to make a stink
    like it was before................. BUT
    the vibration is still there which is really annoying!!! I think I am
    happy with the update??? Not really too sure yet.....it's just that the way the nox's downshifts
    it's kind of awkward, I feel like the car is going to give out while I am
    driving, I don't like that feeling.
    Hi Rick
    As far as a bulletin number...I don't have one I may be able to get it and get back to you on that, As far as the official update that is due out soon in November I hope
    No specific date that I know of.
    Hello
    Since the re-program that was done to my Nox, Yes I have seen a decrease in the fuel...BUT.... I am no mechanic ..I was told though If I didn't have this done over time that in fact since the timing was an issue and misfiring that overtime this would harm my engine and cause holes in my pistons? I was using a higher grade
    and it did help with the pinging/rattling but that was a temp fix and it came back within weeks. I still think there is more to this issue than prevously thought. I still think something is still off a bit, my nox's downshifts at weird times and vibrates so hard that when I look in my rear view mirror the car behind me is not clear and very blurry. Since the update the noise had came for a split sec one or 2 times but nothing major. I don't know what to do about this anymore?
  • dmazzonedmazzone Member Posts: 20
    Thank you for getting back to me. I will wait till Mid-November and inquire to Commonwealth Motors. I also use the higher grade and it does help quite a bit. Funny, I do not have a vibration at all in my 4 cy NOX or any issues with downshifts. My NOX was custom ordered and I believed was manufactured in mid-end Dec 09. I received it beginning of Jan 10. The only issue I had was to have the chain tensioner replaced and that worked out well, plus of course the knocking/pinging noise that everyone is complaining about. I will definitely give the update a try. Thank you and good luck.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Kristy, was reading post #611. (and previously yours #600) What tuck described is exactly what I suspected when I posted to you months ago, remember?
    I just knew they went beyond proper parameters in order to get those unrealistically high fuel mileage figures. No vehicle the size of the Nox should be able to get that high a fuel mileage figure unless it was diesel powered. DI gas engine or not.

In reading many other posts of shuddering and engine stalling at lights and rough downshifts, I am beginning to wonder if the Nox has a torque-converter issue in the tranny. (that is what lets the car stop in gear but not stall the engine, serving a similar purpose that a clutch does in a std tranny). Or a software adjustment to do with the torque-converter. Again, another reason why I LOVE standard, manual shift transmissions. All these tranny issues Nox owners are having would be moot.

The electronic controls and intervention has gotten TOO complicated. Every time one turns around, you can't do anything without hooking it up to a computer. And if the technology works, they why in blazes do companies like GM who are in the process of supposedly showing their new and improved best-foot-forward, still using customers as guinea pigs on a car that should not have been released until all these glitches are FIXED? It boggles one's mind that after a government bail out in which we all as tax payers, paid for, the same old stuff and BS still goes on. Sure, they hire spokespeople like Mariah on here to help quell fears and offer encouragement and keep a wet mist on fires, but the 'fixes' should have been done on GM's dime long ago before releasing the car. Not on ours.

I know I am likely preaching to the choir here with some of you, but whomever is ultimately in charge of the Equinox at GM, should be fired. Buick Enclave owners (as an example) are not having these issues and they are every bit as complicated and more, as the Nox and Traverse. There are head reps of each model. Some are good and worth their pay check, others aren't.

Even if they could simply address the outright lying that takes place by service mgrs in the parking lot out front of the service entrance, or behind his kiosk, would be a huge step in the right direction.

Mariah? Are you reading? Pass it on to them. This will be GM's last chance forever you know. It's important. It's your job at stake too.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    Good post gimmesttranny.

What I'd like to know is this: would it be necessary to get the knocking/pinging software upgrade if I alraedy run premium? Or is it potentially harmful to have the current software configuration for that regardless of fuel? If the latter is the case, GM should make it a recall and not TSB.

The downshifting issues are with the software. The rough idling some experience is software related as it relates to the torque converter. As best I know, it downshifts when slowing down to keep the RPMs up, so that the fuel-cut off remains engaged. In other words, above a certain speed, the fuel cut off is active above a certain RPM level. On another forum someone mentioned this about the Camry, and it makes sense the same thing is going on with the Nox. The thing is they still don't have it all figured out to be smooth, and as far as I know they do not plan to do another (besides the one last fall) calibration upgrade for this.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Kristy8,
    How long has it been since you had the vehicle fixed? Can you please e-mail me your current mileage, VIN, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    like the post :)
    well lets see it's been about a month, I currently
    have about 13,000-give or take. the unofficial update was done and should
    be ready in November? (So I have been told).....I really thought though with the
    new update that was done that it would have taken care of the serious vibration
    issue and the weird downshifting, especially the vibration it gets really annoying
    especially when I am looking at my rear view mirror and all I see is a blurry mess
    behind me, like that's not a safety issue!!!!-Another poster suggested that your co
    really should have tweaked out all the kinks before releasing the nox, and I have to STRONGLY agree... I will email you shortly with my vin.
    edited October 2010
    Hi Christina,

Just to let you (and GM) know...a lot of Equinox owners are experiencing these issues. My 2010 is pinging and shuddering everytime I drive it. It wants to stall, but then "fights" back and goes again. If I pull away from a stop when it "fights back" the car jumps and bucks forward. It almost seems as if the RPMs are too low.

My 2010 also has the weird downshfting, so dramatic that the car will throw you forward a bit as it slows down too much.

I've taken my car into the dealership a few time regarding this, and the last time they replaced an exhaust acctuator, but the problems are still there. I've asked about a new transmission calibration, but the dealership tells me that there is nothing for my VIN.

It's at a point where I really do not feel comfortable driving this car. It has a really rough idle, and the whole car vibrates when you come to a stop...and it is very bad when the car is in ECO mode. It's gotten so bad that I renewed my OnStar as I don;t want to be stranded on they Highway if the car finally decides to stall.

I've already ahd to go through GM customer service to get my radio fixed...and that was a 6 month ordeal.

Can you help with this? I'll email you my VIN as well.
  • tanastanas Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2010
    Continuation of the messages 578 and 586:

- I got my software update (unofficial version) a week ago. It is better, but the clattering/knocking noise (between 1500 and 2000 rpm) coming from the engine still exists! No answer from GM for the official update (software) release date.

and still no fix for the short sharp noise coming from the engine when I start the car !!!!
  • desertjeepgirldesertjeepgirl Member Posts: 5
    My new 2010 Equinox with 5300 miles on it stalled in the middle of a busy street. Husband was sure I ran out of gas. Not! Got gas, and it did it again. A total of 7 times either at idle or at low speeds. But the problem is it won't start up again for about 2 minutes. Took it to the dealer who ran diagnostics and said there were no problems. We thought maybe it was the key transponder. No codes came up and they couldn't replicate the problem. Got in the car to come home and only made it about 400 yards. Same thing, once it stalls it is totally dead for a minute and a half to two minutes. Then it starts again. So now it's sitting at the dealer until Monday because the main computer was down at GM. No comforting news either. I am not happy with this. A new car shouldn't have these kinds of issues. Frustrating. Any ideas?
    Cam shaft actuator is possibly the problem. There is a technical service bulletin about it. Happened to lots of us, and for most of us it fixed the problem (I think one person's problem it didn't fix). But, when I had the problem it gave a code. But i'd tell the dealer the first place to check might be the actuator.
    Wally, to save me typing more, see my posts 486 487 and 494. I think they will answer your question and more. Using the hi -test is likely saving your engine but at a premium price over regular gas. Whether it costs more or less than the software reconfig (which likely involved retarding the timing so that ping disappears back on reg gas and is why kristy's fuel mileage went down) would have to be experimented with. Hi-test gas is a 10% hit in Cda. Similar i think in the US? Ask kristy if her mileage has dropped enough to cost her 10% cash.

So it is with the torque convertor eh? I thought so after reading and hearing all the details. Cutting fuel to the injectors at slow downs all helps give the higher mileage figures, but they haven't figured it all out yet. A manual tranny wouldn't be giving everyone this trouble, but i digress..
    Is the vibration a bunch of you are experiencing, when does that occur? Does it occur for just the first thirty seconds or so after you start the vehicle, or any time you are stopped?

If it happens at start-up only, it is the process by which they warm-up the catalytic converter that is causing the vibration. If it does it all the time while stopped, it is probably a torque converter software issue. I have the former "issue", not the latter.

For the rough downshifting, the service bulletin number is: SB-09271C (I got it from a web site, supposedly the release date of this TSB was Jan. 1, 2010). Vehicles made since Oct. 2009 should have this update from the factory. I believe it is the software version I got from the GM engineer who came down and reprogrammed my Nox late Sept. 2009 (it is well documented early in this thread, and in other threads in the Nox forums).

They still need to do another update for the tranny downshifting, IMO. The new cal is better than the old one, but still not smooth.

I think I wll get the "pinging" update when it is out to all dealers, even though it isn't an issue for me since I switched to premium gas. Peace of mind.

Mariah or Christine from GM:

Any updates you are aware of relating to the rough idling at start-up for the catalytic converter? The GM engineer said there'd be one soon to smoothen out the idling during that process, and that was last fall. Just an annoyance more than anything.

I think GM also needs to make the "sticky steering" problem a recall. I had it a few times before, but not recently. But who knows when it might pop up again?
    Ronwel,
    Please do e-mail me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information. I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bjones6bjones6 Member Posts: 28
    Tanas,
    I have none of the pinging or transmission problems currently under discussion in this forum, but I do experience the short burst of clattering noise when I start the car--not every time, maybe 10% of the time. This may be a normal and unavoidable aspect of the engine design. I say this because my Nox is performing well in every other way. Hope your other problems can soon be resolved.
    desertjeepgirl,
    Have you heard anything from the dealer? Has the problem been resolved? If not, could you please e-mail me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information? I will look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited November 2010
    They think it's the PCM. They installed one on Wednesday but they weren't able to program it properly. Maybe they sent the wrong one. All the components didn't operate properly. Got the replacement part today and as of 40 minutes ago they had the part in and had test driven it and idled it and just had to calibrate the tire pressure gauge part. He feels confident that this will fix it. I pick the car up in a couple of hours. I will report back later. Thanks for asking.
    Well, it was the BCM not the PCM. He initially told me the powertrain module. Not the body module, which makes more sense.

Picked it up, seems to run fine, but there are three problems with the informational panel readout. Need to take it back again. So not happy about that, but I did make it home without it stalling. I'll let you know what happens.
    This sounds to me like it could be cuz of too much oil draining back (or the need of, or faulty, check-valve) from the delivery area to the valve train.

Check your oil level tho. Very important as I am surprised the number of posters who have said their Nox burns a lot of oil and in some cases, ended up at the dlr with no oil showing on the stick.
    Ronwel
    As mentioned before in my posts, since my update was done my nox's is still doing exactly what your does, I feel like if I bring this to my dealerships attention with all the issues that I have experienced so far that at this point they will think that I am just a pain in the a--, I was hoping that the update would have taken care of the weird downshifting and obnoxious vibration and bucking and mine also feels like it's going to stall out and fight back again. please keep me posted if yours gets resolved.
    Thanks
    My vibrations happens too frequently
    it happens at low and high -highway speeds
    it's so bad at times that when I look in the
    rear view mirror the car behind me is so blurry
    I can't make out what's behind me, not
    to mention that it's extremely loud when doing so
    now you mentioned their is a bulletin for the rough downshifting
    do you think that will take care of the vibration issue?
    No offense Christina
    every time I have contacted CS I got no where
    I actually felt like GM was ignoring me, I have made several
    calls in and NO results so I had to take matters in my own hands and
    finally got some results, now that I STILL: have further issues with this
    vehicle, I plan on going forward hoping all my issues get resolved. At this point
    I don't think sending you my vin will help me in anyway I have forwarded much
    info to Mariah in the past and I did not get anywhere with that? So how can you help me? At this time I am really bitter and disgusted with this vehicle, I am at the
    point that I wish I could get rid of it. Not only is the vibration 88 percent of my driving time it downshifts at the worst times and hard every once in awhile NOT always only has happened 3x -when someone gets out of the passengers side
    and the door shuts completely-there is a tinging noise coming from within the inside of the door....at first I thought it was something in the door pocket just vibrating against, but I cleared out my entire car of every thing and still heard it within the door I noticed this in the morning when it's really cold.
    Kristy, i'm sorry u are having so much grief with your new car. You are such a trooper and have kept your chin up for a long time. I sure wouldn't blame you if you pursued following up on a Lemon Law. I am sure you are eligible, as they have had your car many many times and still have existing issues. These all fall under the Lemon Law and you likely can make GM buy your car back from you.

Please do not feel like you are being a nuisance to them. Quite the contrary really, as you are the one that has been inconvenienced and rather substantially out of pocket with all the hassling around with them. Just gas alone has got to have added up by now. The dealer gets reimbursed by GM. If there are incidentals that aren't covered, well that is part of their responsibility in representing GM. Plus they can take it out of the ridiculously rich 'administration fees' they charge now, that they never used to for the past century minus 10 years. In fact the computer age has lessened their paper work. That admin chg is just another last cash grab while they have the chance. I am amazed that customers nationwide didn't ban together and say, simply..."no way, we aren't paying that". The dealers are laughing at us every time that space gets filled in on a contract agreement.
    Thanks so much...I have used the" lemon law "-sort of as a advantage to getting my software update, in my state with the help of my local consumers affair council and they have helped me a great deal with getting the software update. As far as everything else on the list I guess I will have to deal with it day by day and hope for the best since now my states lemon law expires this month on the 15th. As you can tell with my last post I was going on and on and on rambling, I am just so frustrated. I plan on going back to the dealership this week and talking with the service manager in regards to the the hard downshift bulletin. But as far as the vibration I don't know.
    Administration fees-when I first saw that I was like what is this?
    I still fully don't understand the ridiculous fees they charge! After reading all the post here I am glad I am not the only one that has had issue with their nox's this site has been extremely helpful.
    If any news comes my way I will be sure to pass it on
    Thanks again
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2010
    Kristy,

The "admin" or "doc" fee charged by the dealer is just another scam thought up by the industry's think tank. It's a way to advertise one price and then charge another when the transaction actually occurs. I believe this racket started sometime in the '90s. Back in '98 Quirk Ford in Braintree MA hit me with a $90 "doc" fee when I was purchasing my Taurus (first time I had ever run across such a thing). I tried refusing to pay it, I offered to fill out the paperwork myself (it's not like there isn't time to do it when you purchase a car at a dealership ... you've got all day!), but to no avail. Shortly afterward, I came across an article in the Boston Globe about these fees. Someone at the paper was collecting data to take action. I think the final result was that the State now allows these fees up to some maximum amount (different number for each State) - as long as every buyer pays the same fee amount.

SO - for the dealer, they just set their "doc" fee to the maximum State-allowed amount and conveniently leave it out of their quotes. For the buyer, you just have to remember to ask what the dealer fee is everytime you ask for a quote and then include this number in the overall cost when comparing quotes. If you forget to ask, the dealer will drop the bomb on you at purchase time and there is nothing you can do about it (except walk away - which is exactly what you should do).
    Hi Christina,

I actually emailed you about a week and a half ago. Did you need me to email you again?
    "there is nothing you can do about it (except walk away - which is exactly what you should do)."

exactly. and if we all started doing that, collectively as a buying public, watch them drop the fees fast. There is strength in numbers, but it takes organization, diligence, and the desire to right wrongs. Most just pay. That is why government gets away with as much as they do. Never any accountability.

Think about it though. Tell everyone you know at work that if they are about to buy a car, take the deal the the (almost) end, and just refuse to pay the fee. If some friends and family and co-workers all did the same at say...the local Ford or Honda dealership, the dealer WOULD get the message and either show less bottom-line or none at all. It is like a tax.

But taxes are hard to get reversed. The time to fight it was back at its inception.
    Hi kristy8,

I took my car in to the dealership last tuesday, so that they could feel and see what is going on with my Equinox. I had the car in ECO mode, with the A/C off, but the fan and heater running. When the car weas warming up the RPMs would sit at about 750rpm. Once the car warmed up, the car was in drive, but my foot was on the brake (as if you were at a sto psign), the RPMs would drop to 550-600rpms, and the car would start to vibrate and shake. The RPM needed would bounce up and down, from 500-600rpms as the car would "fight" to stay running. The car never stalled, but ran really rough. Basically, the dealership was not too concerned and wanted the car tp actually stall. I'm not to excited about waiting for my car to stall in the middle of an intersection, before this issue gets fixed. I've even switched to GMs recommended "Top Teir" gas, and went up to mid-grade gas (89), but that has not helped.

The downshifting and bucking happens all the time, and is very annoying. I'll be driving down the street and without warning my car will slow down, buck forward and drive again. I have a 2010 Equinox, and my faterh just bought a 2011 Equinox about amonth ago. I toook his car out on sunday, and it bucked just like mine...even worse. I was driving down a straight stretch of road...at a steady pace, and the car bucked without warning. It felt as if I was drving a manual transmission and I popped the clutch.

Not too happy about this. I'm a bit worried about the safety of my family in heavy traffic.
    When it idles low, turn on rear defroster and tell us what rpm it hits. And tell the dealer if it drops further. Add in high speed on the front vents and wipers on high, with headlights on high and note the rpms.

It does beg the question, with all the trouble you are having, why did your father buy one too? Did the bucking not surface on his test drive?
    Outbound:
    Ronwell,
    Please do also put your username from the forum. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service