Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan and Coupe

Comments

• billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Well, I have a new G37 MT sedan on order, and I can say that I could use a couple more inches of width. Could use a larger trunk also. But you can't have everything.
  • SrikzquestSrikzquest Member Posts: 10
    I have couple of corrections with ur analysis...

1. 5 series comparison with G is wrong in the sense that 5's interior volume is with moonroof whereas G's interior volume which you have mentioned is without moonroof (96.5 with moonroof which most probably leads to 90% of the g's sold). so, we can assume that G just took a negative of 3 (rear seat occupants r inconsequential) and added few more inches in length such that rear seat occupants can sit little bit comfortably but at the same time made sure its not going into 5 series area where M competes...

2. '08 TL is not a sport sedan as it also has a FWD setup like Maxima...the current gen sh-awd TL has bit of sport characteristics...so, now I wonder why you have chosen Maxima over G given the explanation u have given...
    Maybe I'm missing the point here, but doesn't the price difference between the G37 and BMW 5 make comparisons irrelevant?
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    AMEN!!!

If you're writing for a car mag and getting access to both cars for free, perhaps you compare them. If money is no issue and you could afford either, then perhaps you give the G a passing glance as a potential competitor for a 5. But try to max out a G (Journey w/ Nav) and then build out a 5 with the same options.

For most of us who stretch to the most car that we can afford, you're unlikely to be shopping these two cars comparitively due to the difference in price point.

I'd love to be able to benefit from the increased performance of the 5 (or any BMW product), but in the real world you rarely get to drive in a manner that actually allows you to realize the benefit, whereas I use the premium options that drive up the BMW pricing into the stratosphere every day!
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    edited March 2010
    Let me start by saying that I, as most of us here will, tend to agree that G37 and BMW 5-series are not in the same market segment. However, the price difference per se does not preclude them from being compared side by side. IMO, they actually do compete indirectly with each other.

It is no secret that Infiniti designs its G family with BMW 3-series in mind; many people cross shop the G and Acura TL; and Acura likes to compare its TL with BMW 5. On the personal side, a CPO 5-series was in my short list of current round of car search, which includes G37, TL, and 328i. Therefore, it is not out of line to compare the G with the 5er. ;)
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited March 2010
    actually your points are quite logical sounding!! Acura does tend to mention the TL and the 5-series often, which I think is a mistake on their part but the 4th Gen TL is so ridiculously big it is not even funny; what is a little bit ridiculous about the new TL is it is much larger than the G Sedan on the outside in almost every dimension yet the interior room between my 08 TL and the 10 G37 are just about the same if not a little bit more in the interior room department then the 10 TL?

how did Acura increase the size of the TL so much but give hardly anymore interior room then they already had?? just beyond me!!

actually my 08 TL and 10 G37 are roughtly the same size; the G37 is about a inch and half taller while my TL is about a inch and half wider so they kind of cancel each other and make them almost identical in size

personally, on the whole, the size of the G37 is pretty good! I don't really like cars that are over 192 inches long because then they are just pain to back up and pull into parking spot, hence why I dislike the new TL!! plus the ugly snow plow grill didn't go to help anything, even in person, its a look only a mother could love ;);)

My new max is 190.6'' long which is just about at the Max, pardon the pun, I like the length of my cars to be, but the back-up camera goes a long way to help that stuff too! God how I love those rearview cameras!!! I've heard that the new Infiniti around view monitor puts everything else in the business to shame!! my 05 FX35 didn't even have a rearview camera! man how I wished they had that stuff back then, you don't know the hell I've gone through trying to back that vehicle into a parking space with no cameras!!

The current G37 is much more elegant and sexy looking then the new TL though!
    edited March 2010
    Agree with your comments on the new TL. One wonders what Acura was thinking when they designed it. Very poor space efficiency in an ugly car, although there is no denying that it performs well, especially the MT with SH-AWD. The Acura salesmen I have talked to have insisted the TL is beautiful, and is Acura's way of building a distinct identity for their cars. I guess they have no choice but to say this since they are stuck with what they've got.

What is really interesting is how details really matter. If you look at the side profiles of the current G37 sedan and the TL, they are almost identical. The difference is in the more rounded features of the G37 and the tastefully done grill. In contrast, the TL has a lot of edges and extra flourishes that make the design very busy & inappropriate for a sport sedan. The grill on the TL is the last straw.
    you don't know how many times I thank the Lord I got my 08 TL when I did and not wait for that ugly behemoth they came out with! I used to like the Acura line but most of it now has all been ugly up with that corporate shield grill; the only model I might be able to tolerate is the new TSX because the grill is the smallest on that then of all the other models but even that one would be a stretch :P
    edited March 2010
    how did Acura increase the size of the TL so much but give hardly anymore interior room then they already had?? just beyond me!!

It almost seems to me that Acura simply made the TL big in size as an after-thought, instead of design it to be a larger sedan from the ground up. While the TL has the longest overall length among the 4 models I mentioned, its wheelbase is actually the shortest -- tied with BMW 3-series, which is more than a foot (16.5") shorter in length. Below are data for your reference:

Acura TL: Length 195.3", Wheelbase 109"
    Infiniti G37: Length 187.0", Wheelbase 112"
    BMW 5: Length 191.1", Wheelbase 114"
    BMW 3: Length 178.8", Wheelbase 109"
    edited March 2010
    exactly, just look at this, below I have my TL's exterior dimensions and interior volume compared to the new TL's dimensions and interior volume and you'll see my point! Look at how much bigger the TL is yet there wasn't even half a cubic foot increase in interior volume?? were did it all go :confuse: :confuse:

2008 TL
    Length: 189.8''
    Width: 72.2''
    Height: 56.7''
    Interior Vol: 97.9 cubic feet

2009 TL
    Length: 195.5''
    Width: 74''
    Height: 57.2''
    Interior Vol: 98.2 cubic feet
  • rll4rll4 Member Posts: 8
    I also looked at the 2010 TL. The price of the TL is not much more than the 6V TSX.
    I though the interior of the TL was very nice and felt bigger than the TSX and G37.
    But I could not get past that front end. UGLY! I would like to meet the person who approved that front end and ask him/her " What were you thinking, and do you still have a job? Maybe the person was an Infiniti spy. What a shame.
    its a nose only a mother could love, that mother being Acura HQs ;)
    edited March 2010
    Hmmm, had the new TL stayed at its 2008 size, it would have been the front runner (currently 2nd) on my short list -- even with its front grille. 195.5" is just too long for a sports sedan IMO. Even Acura's own MDX, a 3-row seated SUV, is 4" shorter with 191.6". Go figure.
    not only that, but the new TL is longer and actually slightly bigger in size to their suppose top of the line RL which has an even smaller engine then the TL; sounds a little familar doesn't it to 2007 and 2008 when the Altima had a 270HP engine yet the Maxima had 255HP ;)

I've heard though Acura is suppose to correct this and completely redesign the RL in the next year or two and introduce Acura's first mainstream production V8 for the RL, which is something it badly needs to compete with the Infiniti M, Lexus GS, BMW-5 Series, and Mercedes E-Class!
    edited March 2010
    The relatively short wheelbase with long overhang on the current TL shows what kind of amateurs are designing Acuras these days. The overhang should be minimal in front so as to have as close to equal front/rear weight distribution as possible to optimize handling (as in BMWs). So much for sporty pretensions.

Compare the TL with the G37 sedan: the G is 8 inches shorter and yet has a 3 inch longer wheelbase. Result: a superior handling car.

The folks at Acura probably figured that since the TL is their "sport sedan", space utilization is irrelevant. That's how you end up with a small back seat, relatively small trunk with high lift over in such a large car. The ZDX also follows the theme that space utilization is irrelevant.

It is really sad to see Acura come to this low point. Absolutely no idea on how to design a car.
  • cars1234cars1234 Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone else having trouble finding a 2010 G37x sedan with the tech package? i live in MD and there do not seem to be many around. I'm looking for tech, premium, nav and wheel packages. Any one know where I might find one? I'm willing to go out of state
  • britishmuttbritishmutt Member Posts: 10
    Yeah, tech packages seem hard to come by. I was looking for a 2010 G37x with tech, prem, sport & nav and there were none anywhere in the country, and none in the pipeline either. Your dealer should be able to search the national inventory to find one. They can even see what's due to arrive on the boat. I ended up having to order one - you might need to do the same.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    edited March 2010
    Thats a long post, sorry for the long break. I will only address some of the things you put across.

Thank you for the interior volume #'s for the 5er and the G. I believe it came down to 99 vs 96.5. Not bad right. This proves the point and we all agree that the G is closer to the 5er in space than the 3er. Again, not implying the G is competing with the 5er. BTW, losing in hip room, shoulder room etc is all a function of the same thing, width. So I would not consider that a loss in 2/3 areas, which is why you only had a 3% difference in interior volume.

The reason I did not even mention the 3ers space in the my previous post is I assume everyone knows that the G is bigger in every which way. I hate stating the obvious, thats why I brought in the 5er. I like to bring in a different angle to a discussion.

And thanks for the "exterior room" correction, I deserved that ;)

I think if Infiniti were reading these posts, and there is me saying keep it the same size, and others saying increase the size and another group saying reduce the size to reduce weight, my guess is they will go with the last group. Smaller is not necessarily bad. Which is why the 3er has the edge in the handling dept and the TL, well......

On the brakes issue, yes I had a slight issue with my 08 G35. During spirited driving and after hitting the brakes, maybe after the umpteeth time of doing this, the steering wheel would start vibrating. Got everything sorted under warranty and by the time I replaced with the '10 G37, no issues came up.

On the TL issue, here is my view. I hear the whole TL has a great interior stuff. I am actually considering the MDX in the next year or so for the family, daddy keeps his sport car:) For me, I get the great Acura interior in a car just as slow as the sedan, but hey its an SUV and for an SUV it handles very well. I think if you love Acura, get their finest and competitive product, the MDX. Leave the TL alone.

I may have missed a lot of the things you said but its old news now.

Please go easy on the TL, there are enough people expressing their disgust at that car online, just visit Motortrend:D
  • 01redz0601redz06 Member Posts: 21
    As in you can't have comfort???. There are a lot of posts about this and you apparently recognize the problem (though your recognition may become more acute after you actually try to travel in the 6MT or sport optioned automatic sedans over a long distance.

Some folks are apparently quite comfortable in the sport seats and others either suffer or pay to have the support bars removed that Infiniti has purposely welded to the seat frame. Frankly I believe that Infiniti should be offering a sport seat that fits a greater portion of the target demographic comfortably than the current sport seats do. I have heard complaints from persons 5'-8" and 185 lbs and larger, and this is close to average in this country.

Alternatively, Infiniti could offer the 6MT and the sport option with the standard seats. This would not be so good for me as I slide around in the standard seats on corners and I don't like that much. For me the value of having the 6MT with its larger brakes, quicker steering, etc would make it worthwhile.
    Actually, I am pretty trim (5' 10", 165 lbs) and find the sport seats very comfortable. But you are right, many in our well-fed culture may find the seats confining.

I would just like a little more driver/passenger & especially trunk room in this car. However, as we know, entry level sport sedans are not usually roomy cars.

In shopping, I have found that no car is perfect. However, the 6MT comes closest to satisfying me, so I have ordered one.
    edited March 2010
    Aahh, the classic G37 sport seat discussion. I have found its either you like them or you dont. I wont lend my opinion on this one, I have the sports seats as well.

My take is if from the test drive these seats are not comfy, shop elsewhere. For the same price you can get a 328i, which hopefully has seats more comfy and you get the all mighty 3l inline 6 which comes recommended by C&D, hmmmm decisions decisions.
    I am sure the well-fed culture remark is only meant in the most positive way. My skeletal frame is such that my hip bones ride just on top of the metal bars which are welded into the sport seat frame, rather than inside them. And there is not enough fat on my rear end to make it tolerable. The regular G37 seats just don't have the bars welded inside them, and my rear slides around too much in the regular seats.

The reason you are correct is that the more nutritious diet available in our country result in people with larger, more athletic skeletal frames. Of course if I had a really fatty diet and a larger cushion on my seat, I might not be able to feel the bars so well. I am glad that you are comfortable in the sprots seats, which many have observed were designed for the average male in the Infiniti country of origin (and this is also meant in the mostpositive way).

As far as the rest of the car goes, I have been driving my G35 sedan since new for over 7 years and 81,000 miles. I find the interior and trunk dimensions of the car perfect and it is comfortable for four adults on long trips. The seats in my car are perfect, but they are not sport seats. My 2003 G35 is simply the best car I have ever owned, and that includes my 2008 Corvette Z06 (which has very comfortable seats, than you very much. I would like to change my car for a 2010 6MT, but cannto get past the uncomfortable seats and the Infiniti USA people that do not even wish to speak with me about it.

So Infiniti will probably be forcing me to look elsewhere to replace my Infiniti, maybe BMW, or maybe (gasp) a Hyundai Genesis coupe.
  • cyclocyclo Member Posts: 1
    When I got mine, the dealer said they had plugs to fill the holes. You might want to check with your dealer's parts department. I've seen some G37's here in NC (where no front tag is required) without a front bracket, and it looks very nice and clean.
  • domain311domain311 Member Posts: 26
    Anyone have any experience with a factory order? Just curious on the time it took...I ordered a 6MT last month. I'm anxious to get it of course! Thanks.
    So Infiniti will probably be forcing me to look elsewhere to replace my Infiniti, maybe BMW, or maybe (gasp) a Hyundai Genesis coupe.

The Genesis coupe should not be confused as being simply a coupe version of the Genesis sedan. It is an entirely different car, with a completely different setup. It also is no where near as refined as the sedan or as the Infiniti that you might compare it to. It is more likely comparable to a Nissan 370Z or a Ford Mustang.
  • dayne20071dayne20071 Member Posts: 20
    It usually takes 2 to 3 months to receive a special order. Best of luck with the car, it is a wonderful car to drive.
    So do you represent a specific Infiniti dealership or do you represent the Infiniti USA or do you represent the factory? Look, I have owned an Infiniti for over 7 years and driven it for over 81,000 miles. I know perfectly well how good the G35 sedan is. I am disturbed that Infiniti the company does not seem to have any interest in the opinions of their customers. This has been reinforced by the dealership where I purchased the car(Sewell in Dallas). With that being the case, why would I not look at other makes that may be more interested in addressing me as a customer?

PS, I am not really that easily confused, poodog13.
    Whoa, easy on the conspiracy theories there buddy. For the record, I'm a banker who drives an 06 Nissan Maxima right now, and otherwise have no special allegiance or ties to Infiniti, and I'd buy a Genesis Sedan myself if I could get one configured the way that I want it for under $40, especially if it were a bit smaller.

I wasn't trying to dissuade you from considering anything in any way, simply wanted to make sure that you knew that the Genesis Coupe IS NOT a coupe version of the Genesis sedan, it's a completely different vehicle.

I could care less what you buy, for all I care you can buy five Genesis coupes.
    I was told to expect 90 days from the date the order goes in to the factory (which can be some time after you give the order to the dealer - apparently there's only a small window each month when dealers can submit new orders to the factory).
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    A few distracting posts have been removed. All opinions are welcome here, as long as they're opinions about cars and not other people.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    for 2010? dont see the option on the G? 2011 M has it?
    I believe this was deleted for 2010. The 2011 M is one sweet ride though, cant wait to see it in person.
    agreed; infiniti just updated their website for the 2011 M so they should be arriving in dealers fairly soon; I'll be keeping a watchful eye on my local Infiniti dealer!
    I think some dealer sent me an invite to some party there are throwing to launch this bad boy. Honestly the interior is just amazing, if this is the direction there are taking the next gen G, man then I can't wait to step into that one.
    I know, definitely is a good direction for Infiniti to go! if they do to the next gen G what they did to the new M then BMW really better start wetting its pants now :P ;)
    I agree the new M is one sweet ride-- but so was the old M-- Infiniti needs to concentrate on the G if they are going to go after BMW-- the G needs to be the companies go to car (already is but not the extent that the 3 series is for BMW).

More HP (check), Coupe/convert (check), entry price (check), low powered entree ala 328 (coming soon), superperformance car (nope, no m3,m5), no G AWD with manual-- M nice car but its a pimple on nissan azs when it comes to infiniti. BMW continues its lead because they are able to lease 50k cars for 500 a month-- east coast eats them up at that price-

Please get me a G AWD sedan that has a manual-
  • lone_ranger1lone_ranger1 Member Posts: 1
    1. Could someone please explain why Infiniti will not allow you to have a G37 Coupe Sport 6 MT with maple accent interior trim?

2. Also, why are certain exterior colors as Smoky Quartz or Midnight Garnet available on the G37 Sedan and G37 Convertible, respectively, but not the G37 Coupe?

3. Finally, why is it not possible to get the wheat leather interior color with the G37 Coupe or the G37 Convertible Sport 6MT?

4. Is there a manufacturing reason why these colors or trim are not offered with the 6 MT Coupe? Would it really increase their production cost significantly? Even if a relatively small number would want this combination, why can't you special order this combination?
    1) infiniti feels manual drivers dont have time to look at wood
    2) infiniti feels the colors dont look as good or will sell on the coupe
    3) doest think those colors will sell
    4) infiniti sells more sedans and is trying to keep the costs down for the lesser selling coupe--

hope this helps --
  • larrys8larrys8 Member Posts: 36
    Hello all,

Looking for feedback on this one. I am seriously considering the g37x with nav, prem and maybe the wheel package. I went for a test drive with the intent of ruling it out and getting the TL. I really only looked at it because my wife has a 06 Murano and we have been very happy with the look, feel and realiablity of her car. Took the G for a drive and thought it was an amazing car for the money. Also took out the 2011 M, also a great car, but a little too big and plush and out of my budget (sales guys says he could make it work). Anyway, then went and drove the TL, interior room TL was a great fit, nice car, but frankly handles and drives like my current 07 accord-V6. The TL AWD/Tech would be the smart decision from a comfort and size perspective. Feature wise, the loaded TL and loaded G seem very similar. However the G was so much more fun to drive. I want to take one for the day to get a better idea. OK, so I have rambled on enough. Here are my questions that I am hoping you can help me with.

1. I am a big guy about 6ft and 230 lbs. I need to play around with the seats, but seemed fairly comfortable. I commute about an hour each way 5 days a week. Any comfort issues that anyone is aware of? (I am intentionally staying away from the sports package because of the additional bolstering on the seats).

2. Real world MPG in mixed driving? I am hopeful for 20 or 21 (I get 22-25 in my accord).

3. The layout of the interior of the G seemed more logical, intuitive and easier to use.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.
    edited March 2010
    Larry, I can certainly relate to how a test drive would hook one on to a car. I chose BMW 328i over the current generation G in 2007 when it first came out. This time around, I did not think I would consider a previous runner-up at its fourth model years, and thought the TL AWD would be ideal for my next ride. After a few test drives on both (and a few others), the G37 won my heart with its fun to drive characteristics.

Now, to you questions:

1. Smart move on your part to avoid sport package. I have the sport seat, which fits fine for my 5' 7" 145 lbs. body, but I can see how big guys like you will feel cramped in it. Others with the regular seats may comment on its comfort, but I have not seen any complaint in various forums (and I have visited a lot).

2. I am still in break-in period and getting 20 MPG with 900 miles so far (50/50 city/hwy miles). And this is with a lot of idling time playing with all the tech toys. I expect this MPG number to go up after break-in period. Others with longer ownership of the car please chime in.

3. As you have observed, the loaded TL and loaded G are tie on the equipment list. The interior layout is up to personal taste, but I am not a big fan of all those buttons on the TL. The G, on the other hand, has a clean design which is very functional and easy to use.

Hope this helps.
  • cachoycachoy Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone with graphite shadow share their experience on how clean it keeps and how much effort is required to maintain its appearance?
    Jtla,

Thanks so much for your response. The more I think about all of this and the more I read all of these posts; makes the decision harder and harder. Thinking about everything from a pre-owned 7 series to the 2011 M37 (which I also took for a test ride).

I guess the search is half the fun.

Thanks
  • bondibondi Member Posts: 9
    hi lARRYS8
    have had my 2010 g37x with prem, nav and sport for two months. coming from 2006 m35x.
    1. m a great car too big for me. new' "g" a drivers car vs. luxury. fast and fun.
    2. stay away from sport seats. i'm small, 5'4" and 136#. would be tight on manly men.
    3. fit, finish on interior very good. tight and well layed out.
    4. 0nly 1800 miles to date and getting 18-20 mpg. not broken in yet but difficult staying off the gas pedal when you hear that roar.
    Thanks for responding, I am going to take one out for the day on Friday. I guess its all downhill from there. I like the wheels and the paddle shifters that come with the sport package, but again with my size I am worried about the seats. The dealer claims they cant get the AWD with wheel package, only the sports package. I will try and spend some time in both.
    huge wish - i want this car--
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Smarty,

It would be impossible for Nissan to offer an optional rear wheel drive Maxima. That changes the fundamental design of the car completely. However, AWD could be an option since they already offer it on the Murano/Rogue.
    Plus, if they had RWD, that would make the Max no different from Infiniti. FWD is what has still till this day distinguish Nissan from Infiniti. I hope they leave it that way but I do agree I think a AWD option might not be that bad of a idea.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited April 2010
    We've all been wondering exactly what flavor of fruit the Daimler AG/Renault-Nissan mash-up would bear, and now it looks like we may have our first answer. Starting soon, the Infiniti G will boast an efficient four-cylinder engine borrowed straight from Mercedes-Benz. AutoWeek reports that Nissan head-honcho Carlos Ghosn confirmed the news himself, though so far we have no indication of exactly which four-pot will make its way into the Japanese sedan or when it will be available to buyers.

The above was copied from an article on Autoblog. Anybody know what would be the most logical 4 cyl Nissan would get from Daimler and what the specs could end up being?

This coupled with the new G25 would be a drastic change but offer a lot of choices for customers looking at the G line. They could have 3 distinct cars to look at. Maybe a G25 w/210hp V6 for entry into the brand, a G28(just guessing) with a 280ish hp turbo 4cyl and then the G37 with the big V6. Just speculating but will be interesting to watch. The G25 is supposed to get really decent MPG and I would assume they could get good MPG from a turbo 4 as well ala Hyundai and it's new turbo 4 w/ 274 hp and 34mpg hwy.
    My guess would be the engine from the C250 CGI, which is actually a 1.8l turbo DI model with around 204hp/229ft-lbs and 33mpg. I thought it could also be the 2.4t GEMA engine, but I'm not sure MB has much to do with that anymore since it sold Chrysler.
    if indeed Infiniti goes this way with the trim levels for G's slotted below the current G37, it will be interesting to see what Nissan does with the Altima and Maxima in the next two years. Especially since Hyundai will becoming out with that turbo 4cyl thats suppose to get decent fuel economy on paper. Nissan will have to do something. Hopefully this will be the answer.