Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• wildbl1500wildbl1500 Member Posts: 48
    I am new to the Jeep world. I just purchased a '01 Wrangler Sport. It came w/ the 30" Goodyear tire package. Does anyone know if 31" BFG T/A KOs will fit w/ stock suspension and not hit anything?
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Welcome!

If you are talking 31 x 10.50's, yes, they will work, but it's possible that you would need to add a washer or two behind your steering stops to prevent rubbing the inside of the tires on the control arms at full turn. That didn't turn out to be necessary for me when I was running the 31 x 10.50 BFG All Terrain T/A KO's on my Jeep with no lift.

I'm assuming that you are still running factory wheels with 5.5" backspacing. If you have the factory Canyon wheels, then you have 5.5" backspacing.

If you are gonna wheel that Jeep and want to disconnect your front sway bar, then you MIGHT rub the flares at full tire stuff, but it should be minor, if you rub at all.

Here's a pic of my 01 Sport when she was "wearing" 31 x 10.50 BFG AT's.

Make yourself at home here, wildbl1500!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S. I don't know how you plan to use your Jeep, but if you are gonna wheel it, then you might want to consider the BFG Mud Terrains in the same size. I kept my All Terrains for only 6K miles and traded them in on the Muds. It depends on the type of terrain, of course, but the Muds do a much better job for me on the trails. All Terrains are notoriously poor in mud, since the treads do not self clean very well. I am not a fan of mud, and I avoid it when I can, but where I wheel, there's not a way around every mud hole, so I need the advantage of the mud tires. The BFG Muds are good in loose soil as well as in mud. Besides, a Jeep looks much more macho when it has Muds on it! :)
    Thanks for your input Tom and thanks for a look at the finished product!
    You are very welcome. I just edited my post and added a "P.S.", so you might not have seen that part.

I was recommending that you at least consider mud tires instead of all terrains.

If you would like to see TONS of pics of my Jeep and the Jeeps of other people that I have wheeled with, and if you would like to see Turkey Bay, where I wheel, go to http://itsajeep.org

Click on the photo gallery link and then click on the lower case blue letters "tsjay" in the Top Poster line about a fourth of the way down the page. This brings up a list of my albums.

What's yer first name and where ya from?

Congrats on that Jeep!

Tom

After more than a month of waiting, my Jeep was finally delivered. A 2004 Silver Sport. I would have posted sooner, but as you can imagine, I spent the weekend driving all over the place.

I'm really happy with my purchase, and the advice of this group proved invaluable.

If I can get my hands on a digital camera, I'll post some pics.

Thanks, Mike

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Well worth the wait, wasn't it????

PICS! PICS! PICS!!!!

Tom

My name's Bill and I am from western Maine.

I don't know if i'll get to take my Jeep on the trails all too much- i'd hate to scratch up my Sienna paint like i did to my black 97 Ram 1500 on the last off-road adventure.

Where is Turkey Bay?
    OK, I checked out your profile, and I see that you are Bill and are a Mainiac. :)

Once again, welcome, and, now that you are a proud Wrangler owner, become a regular on this board!

Tom

I just updated my profile. I am new to this message board thing too.

Yup, I am a hardcore Mainer. Lobster, moose and pine trees all the way!
    Turkey Bay is in western Kentucky, and it is about 68 miles from my house. I go there just about EVERY Saturday.

Turkey Bay is in the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, which was once administered by TVA, but is now under the U.S. Forest Service's care.

LBL is the land that remained unflooded between the huge man-made lakes, Kentucky Lake and Barkley Lake. It runs about 50 miles north and south from the dams at the north end down into Tennessee on the south end. It is only about 10 miles wide in most places.

I saw in your profile that you work in public relations for DC. I do too, but I don't get paid for it. :) I tell the whole world how wondeful, fantastic, amazing, and FUN Jeeps are! You're heard of Johnny Appleseed who went across the country planting apple trees. Well, guess you could call me "Tommy Jeepseed." :)

Tom

Hey Tom,

Do you know of any aftermarket armrest for the full doors? I found some from Misch 4x4 (sp?) but they didn't look that impressive on their website.

-Bill
    Just kidding. You somehow posted twice.

Tom

like i said, i'm new- i don't know what i'm doing!
    Man, we're making this a chat room more than a message board. :) That's cool, though: helps the post count.

Sorry, Bill, but I have never looked into arm rests for my Thelma Jane.

Are you familiar with Quadratec? They have real nice catalogues full of Jeep accessories, but their prices can usually be beaten elsewhere.

Tom

If you would like to email me, I can put ya onto some Jeep sites that might be useful to ya.

Our gracious hosts are not too fond of us posting about other sites. :)

My email is in my profile.

Tom

i've been doing tons of "windows" shopping. Quadratec certanly has a lot of products for mass-customization.

back to work....
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    ...........and can anyone tell me what two-stage oil is, my girlfriend asked me to check her oil when i told her about it, then she handed me this bottle of two-stage oil...is that the same thing, will it work, or do i need to drop the pan and change her oil entirely now? -ajjjjjjjjj

AJ, would you like to clarify this a little? I've pasted your original query (from #10528) above because it leaves me even more puzzled. Not only have I never heard of two-stage oil, but I don't know what you're comparing it to, what you expect it to do if it works, and finally, why you think that you need to drop the pan to do a complete oil change? Oh, and what was it you told her about when she asked you to change her oil, as she handed you the bottle of mystery oil?

If you can be a little more informative perhaps we can get to the bottom of it.

This isn't a flame but I am really puzzled!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you use your browser's refresh button immediately after posting a message then the message will be duplicated (itsa "feature" of our software! ;-)

To avoid this, use the refresh link at the end of these messages instead.

tidester, host
    Is that what you were talking about, AJ? Two cycle oil, like for two cycle engines???

Can't believe that would do a car engine much good! :)

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Have I been gone THAT long 350 messages..
    and now I cant remember the 1st one.
    umm off-roading, off-roading, off-raoding..oil changing and off-roading. Same ole, Same ole.
      Congrats to our new JEEP owner forgot your name..sorry. ENJOY IT!!

Gonna get the hardyop back on TAZZ this week go take to a detail shop get a good wax & shine

KEEP JEEPIN
    ROLLLLL TIDE!!!
    BamaTazz
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    ajjjj, I was also thinking you might have been talking about two STROKE oil. You know, the stuff you mix with gas for the chainsaw and the like. If that's the case I'd drain it RIGHT NOW and put in new oil and filter. Sounds like you were just topping it off so hopefully there isn't much in there if it is two stroke oil. I wouldn't drop the pan but would let it drain a long time, like overnight. Let us know what's up.

Gary
  • billy318tibilly318ti Member Posts: 38
    Sounds like a lot of people are buying jeeps lately.. My neighbor just got a Rubicon a few days ago. He told me he was looking to buy a jeep for a while, guess he just decided to go all out and buy the best. Beautiful ride though. Haven't had the priveledge to drive it yet.
         Heading back up to Vermont this weekend to visit some friends. Hopefully the it stays dry up there and we can find some trails again. I'll be sure to take the camera and take a few shots this time. Hopefully i'll figure out how to post em on here..
    Tom,,,been looking at the 31's you have on your jeep. I'm sick of getting stuck in the mud every time i go wheelin. Did you just trade the stock one's in for them or do you have both. Cause if i can find a place to trade my 30's in for 31's and pay the difference i would defiantly do that.
    Thanks..

LETS GO YANKEES!!
    Man, I sure wish you could find a deal like I got, but it was probably a once in a lifetime thing. I traded in my factory 30" GSA's that had 10,500 miles on them (spare was brand new) and got five brand new BFG All Terrain T/A KO's for $188.63!!!! That was tax, balancing, mounting... the whole enchilada. The price without trade-in would have been $641.

I then decided that I had screwed up by getting the AT's and traded them in with 6K miles on them at the same tire store. I got a killer deal that time too, but I guess not quite as good as the first deal. It must have been almost as good, though, because I bought five AR767s with chrome center caps and chrome lug nuts and five new 31 x 10.50 (same size as the ATs) BFG Mud Terrain KMs, with tax, balancing, and mounting for $600 with the trade-in of the ATs. The Muds were a more expensive tire than the ATs. I then sold my Canyon wheels for $300, so the new wheels and tires only cost me $300 out of pocket.

I would DEFINITELY recommend the Muds for wheelin'. They do MUCH better on the trails. They will be a little noisy, but who cares? It's a Jeep! As far as wear, the ATs have some advantage there, but my Muds are holding up VERY well. I had the tread gauged at the time of my last rotation, and there was an average of about 15/32" of tread left after 18K miles! They have 18/32" when brand new.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Welcome to the new Wrangler owners.

Paul - I looked up the used price here on Edmunds and they indicate that the vehicle would go for between 11,700 and 13,300 so they are probably a bit high, but not totally out of the ball park if they will negotiate. I don't know what the hard top winch goes for, so you could add something for that and the bikini top. If there are more options (I assumed air conditioning - I wouldn't touch a black Wrangler where we live without it) it could be worth more.

Make sure you check the exhaust manifold - I think I remember hearing that they changed the design in 2000. The older ones failed with great regularity, as I found out with my 98, and not cheap to replace!
    Gal, did ya do a "customized appraisal" and type in the 37,000 miles? That is VERY low miles for a 99. I'm sure it would add at least a thousand to the price. Guess we could try it and see, huh? :)

Paul, I would want to know if that Jeep has the Dana 44 rear axle or not. If you plan on wheelin' your Jeep, it would be a REAL good idea to get one with the Dana 44.

Also, tubular bumpers??? Not for a Jeep that's gonna be on the trails. Can ya put tow hooks on the tubulars? And, Steelhorse is famous for everything they make in metal rusting big time. Of course, you could always replace the bumpers.

Tom

Just did a "customized appraisal" on that Sahara, and I made the following assumptions..

air conditioning
    rear defrost
    rear wiper
    locking diff (trac loc)
    outstanding condition

The delear retail turned out to be $15,130, private party $13,260, and average trade-in $11,596.

I think you said this Jeep is at a dealership, right? You can figure that they have no more in it than the average trade-in value, so you can work from there. If they are trying to make a thousand or two on it, that is not unreasonable.

BUT, HOW 'BOUT THE DANA 44???

I really think that you should find a Jeep with a Dana 44, Paul. There won't be any extra charge for the 44 in a used Jeep, so why not find one with this very important feature?

Tom

P.S. Just re-read your post, and you did not say that the Jeep was at a dealership. If this is private party, then you can forget that profit stuff and expect to buy the Jeep at very close to average trade-in value. By all means talk to the previous owner before you buy, even if it's on a dealer's lot. Here in Ky, at least, the seller is legally obligated to give you the contact info for the previous owner. I'll bet that is true in every state.
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    "I had the tread gauged at the time of my last rotation, and there was an average of about 15/32" of tread left after 18K miles! They have 18/32" when brand new."

Wow, that's pretty different than mine. I've got only 13/32" left after 8500 miles (down from the original 19/32"). I had an alignment done right after the tires were mounted about a year ago. I wonder if I need another alignment? Or maybe it's just the terrain difference? I never spin the tires, especially on hard surfaces.

Did you have yours siped? I did. They are getting a little broken up around the siping. Little chunks missing.

I think I may try the GY MTR's next, but I don't know...

-Pete
  • franziafranzia Member Posts: 18
    I would appreciate the opinions from all who respond here on me possibly purchasing a new 2003 Wrangler X. The options are the wheel plus group, A/C, 5-speed, full doors, cruise, privacy glass, front floor mats, black clear coat, and kakki top and interior. My question is that I'm not a real week end 4wheeler warrior, but I need to get through north eastern snows. Would this be a good ride for that. The jeep does not have a locking differential. I'm looking at this Jeep tonight and would appreciate some feed back. Is there anything I would be missing if say I would get a sport instead? I like the price and the X would fit very well within my budget. Thanks to all who respond.
    What pressure are ya runnin'? I keep mine at 28 psi cold pressure, and I get a good ride and even wear. You're right about them starting at 19/32". I don't know why I typed 18/32.

Doubt if it's much of a factor in this, but I don't bother airing down when I wheel.

I wonder at what point they are effectively worn out? I know you don't want to run them all the way down to "0/32". :) Think you would want to replace them when the tread is down to around 8/32" (1/4")? I'm sure they are not going to perform nearly as well on the trails as they get down to the end of their lives.

That is strange that yours are wearing so fast. Looks like I'm gonna get a good, long life out of mine.

The GY MT/R is supposed to be a real good tire too, but I don't know if the tread life is supposed to be any better. Seems the general consensus is that the MT/Rs are better on rocks (stronger sidewalls) and the BFGs are better in mud.

I have chunks missing from many of my lugs, since I offroad so often.

Tom

The only real difference between the Sport and the X is that you can't order an X with the D44 rear axle, which will make no difference for your purposes and as Tom pointed out in another post, it won't affect the resale value. The other differences are between standard and optional equipment.

No Wrangler comes with a locking diff. The Trak Loc option is a limited slip diff. However, either type can be fitted post purchase should you feel the need.

I'd suggest that for the use you intend putting it to, it will do you very well.
    By going with the X, you will be forgoing the Dana 44, which is not a problem from what you say your use for the Jeep will be.

I ALWAYS recommend the 44 for people who think they will ever want to do more than just mild offroading, or who think they would someday want oversize tires and a locker.

I have heard that the factory TracLoc, which is NOT a locker, but is a limited slip differential, is good in snow. I don't know if that should be a show stopper for you or not, since that Jeep doesn't have it. It would be a nice thing to have, given the amount of snow that Jeep will see.

You could always have an even BETTER after market limited slip installed later.

The X sounds like a good way to go for you, since you would be getting the six cylinder engine without going all the way to the Sport model. I think the X has about everything most people would be interested in having, if they are not going to be serious offroaders.

You didn't mention antilock brakes, which I wouldn't want for offroading, but I guess they can be very good in highway driving in "snow country."

Tom

As was suggested, AJ could have meant two stroke oil (though he hasn't been back to confirm it). If he did, and only added a quart or so, it won't have done any serious damage. It is important to drain the oil and change the filter as soon as possible though, as I've no idea what the long term effects would be.
  • comanche_ajcomanche_aj Member Posts: 18
    im back to explain exactly what happened that led me to add "two stage" oil...her dad said it is for engines with two stages so it was bad of me to put it in. i told her about my oil leak problem, then she said there was a strange knocking coming from her engine, i checked the oil, it was a little low. i got into her trunk and got a bottle of Castrol 10w30, she said "No, thats not the right kind use this one" she handed me the other bottle, (i didnt want to argue with her because she does have a bit of auto knowledge and i dont know much about oil) it was about 80% of a quart that i added, then her dad was like "are you sure thats oil?", i said yes, but when i looked at the bottle it had pictures of dirtbikes and atv's and things like that...(maybee the description of the bottle will help you guys). so far nothing has happened to her car, her dad said it might smoke allot, but that hasn't happened and i am concerned that it might not be smoking because its doing something allot worse and i need to fix it. Im gonna check this post on Monday and see what you guys think i should do. -ajjjjjjjj
    Sure sounds like you did use oil intended for two cycle engines. I never heard the term "two stage" before, but it must be two cycle engine oil that you used.

A simple oil change should be done as soon as possible. Whatever damage has been done can't be helped, but you should at least get that oil changed to prevent further damage.

You might get lucky, since it was less than a quart, and maybe nothing has been harmed so far.

Tom

Tom - I did a customized eval with the lower mileage, but I did it for a Sport - thought that was what he said it was. That would explain the differences in cost (low mileage did add over $1,000!).

frazia - about the X - given your use, you should be fine. I didn't really look at some of the extra goodies in 2003, but I do remember saying when they came out with the X that the fog lights would not be standard on them, but would be on the Sport. I never was interested in them until I got my Sport, which happens to have them. Now that I live in mountainous snow country myself (no street lighting anywhere), I'm very glad to have them - they help to find the side of the road when the whole thing is snow covered in the early morning. Don't know if that would be a concern for you or not.

aj - Dirtbikes and ATVs? Definitely sounds like 2 stroke oil. I remember when I bought my first motorcycle I made sure I got a Honda. At the time they were one of the few that made a small bike with a 4 stroke engine, and a 2 stroke engine sounded too complicated...
    I've got an '02 X. They should do fine for the type of use you state. Don't worry about no Trac-Loc, you'll have plenty of traction in plain old 4wd mode.

To be honest, sometimes I wish I didn't have TracLoc while driving on ice. Even in 4wd mode, there have been times when the smallest amount of throttle will break both back tires loose and get me sideways real quick. This can be a real problem on old country roads that are really crowned or off camber.

Without TracLoc and only one back tire breaks loose, you'll still have one tire to help you track straight ahead.

Getting either the X or the Sport, you'll be in for some fun!

-Pete
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Franzia, I have an 02X and as I don't go wheeling and won't be putting on heavy duty tires I have no need for a Dana 44. Living in Delaware we don't have near the snow amounts you will but last year we got 2 feet and the Wrangler handled beautifully. Not many other vehicles were able to go about confidently in the blizzard. Good luck with your decision!
    I'm running 31 psi. They seem to be wearing pretty flat, the center is only about 1/32" less than the outer. So I might drop down to 28 psi like you.

I usually don't air-down either, unless I'm spending a whole day on the sand. Then I drop them to 12 psi, what a difference! I've got a very slow 12v compressor that takes a good 30 minutes to pump up one 33" tire from 12 psi. Heck, it takes a good 5 minutes just to air-down one tire that low. Full inflation seems to work pretty well on all the other stuff I do.

Good to hear my Muds aren't the only ones missing some chunks of rubber. I thought the siping they did to mine may have promoted this, but who knows.

I'm hoping to make it one more year on these tires before replacing them. I'll keep one as a spare since I've still got the stock (28") tire back there.

-Pete
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Tom
    The AR767 looked so good on my wife YJ that I went out and got five (with 31x10.5) for the TJ.
    Also "Old Red" went over 150K on the way to work this week. Mary (wife) said that I need to refer to him as Eugene or Eugene the Red Jeep (that is his full name) not Old Red she said that is was not nice to call some one or thing Old So Old Red is out and Eugene is in.
    Have a Great Day Walt
    Congrats to you and to Eugene for hitting the 150K mark! How bout some pics with the AR767s?

Tom

Wow! I'm in awe. I hope to see that on my Wrangler some day, but when is going to depend on the weather this winter (colder, snowier winter equals more mileage). I expect to see it in the Taco about March, maybe, if the winter is mild like the last 2 years.

Talking about Wranglers in winter - after I had signed for mine (has 30" wheels) they handed me a piece of paper that says you can't use chains with the 30" wheels. I almost didn't buy it, but since I wasn't living in the mountains at the time I went ahead with the purchase. If I were to replace the Taco with another Wrangler, I would definitely get the smaller tires 'cause I would be buying a commuter car, not an off-roader (the Noble Black Steed does that just fine). Just another thing to think about if you are going to buying a Wrangler for snow country.
    Ross Allen and old Tom will be heading out to Turkey Bay in a few minutes. Will be hooking up with Alan again. He drove nine hours to get here Friday, and after our wheelin' yesterday, he said it was worth the trip... we had a great day!

Jim and his wife, Janna, hooked up with us yesterday, and I think Janna really liked wheelin'. Jim is still not sure what he will do about that tranny in his YJ.

You can find pics in the usual place: at Gill's gallery.

How come nobody posted yesterday??? Geez!

Hope I have some posts to read when I get back this evening.

Tom

Who told you guys you could have the weekend off???

No posts yesterday, and only mine so far today. What's the deal?

Anyway, Alan and I had a great day today. We could not have ordered better weather! Clear blue sky and probably about 75 degrees.

We had fun wheelin', and Alan seems to be very glad that he made the long drive.

NOW......... POST, PEOPLE! :)

Tom

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We were all out at Turkey Bay today and you were nowhere to be found! ;-)

tidester, host
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Here is mine...
       sorry..no off-roading stories.
    just a GREAT day to have a topless jeep.

BamaTazz
    I was hoping to post that I had done something about my dash gauges, but I couldn't find my needle-nosed pliers. Guess it will have to wait until next weekend (notice how enthusiastic I am about this project?).

Spent the day researching Southwest Utah, where we are heading in November. Sounds like lots of excellent off-roading opportunities there - just wish we had more time. Unless the price of gas goes skyrocketing again we'll definitely take the Wrangler.

There are too many hunters around my usual weekend haunts for me to venture out very far right now. Hunting is quite a bit like off-roading - the vast majority of people are responsible, careful and considerate, but a very small minority of jerks give the rest a bad name. Since misplaced bullets can cause lethal human damage, I tend to avoid the national forest during deer season, rather than getting upset about it. Now you should see me when I see some inconsiderate person tearing up the trails or the area around the trails - then I get really upset!

Sorry to get so wound up, but remember everyone out there hitting the trails - Tread Lightly!
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Mtngal, Zion is one of my favorite National Parks. If you're up for a strenuous hike, the hike to the top of Angel's Landing is spectacular. You feel like you're on top of the world.

Gary
  • comanche_ajcomanche_aj Member Posts: 18
    tsjay...you said whatever damage could be done already cant be helped...i was wondering what damage could that be? could it wear out some seals or something like that which would be costly and laborous to fix? i really hope im lucky and dont cause any major damage to the car, but i'll be changing the oil in a few days, thank you all for the help very much, maybe i can save my reputation of being a know-it-all car genious for her dad.
    -ajjjjjjj
    You probably just "thinned" the oil somewhat, and maybe it has done no damage at all, but why is that oil still in there??? The sooner it is changed the less chance of damage to the engine.

I would prefer that good old Mac jumps in here, but what I think is that some parts could wear a little more than they would have if the two stroke oil had not been put in there. Wear over time is the problem rather than immediate, catastrophic damage. The sooner you get that stuff out of there, the less extra wear the engine will be subjected to.

This would be a WHOLE DIFFERENT story if the entire crankcase had been filled with two stroke oil, but since it was less than a quart, you might not have caused much damage so far, if any, but GET THAT OIL CHANGED!

Tom

"We were all out at Turkey Bay today and you were nowhere to be found! ;-)

tidester, host"

Man, I would LOVE it if all my Edmunds Buds really could join me at Turkey Bay!

Bama Tazz would have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, huh?

Tom

Saturday I was trying to run a gully that I had run before with no problem. The thing is, there had been rain on Friday, and the gully was SLICK this time! My left side tires slipped down the wall of the gully, and they got down into the deepest part, causing Thelma Jane to lay way over.

I know it looks like I had some room to lean a little more before going over, but every time I tried to go either forward or backward, it felt like the lean got worse. You can see my tracks where I had gotten further into the gully before backing to the position I was in when this pic was taken. You can see that she would have been leaning even more when the left side tires were in that rut.

Finally, Alan put a strap on me and pulled me out backwards.

There must have been a big rock in the mud at the bottom of that gully, cause I ended up with a bad gouge in the side wall of my left rear tire, and it was down to 15 psi Sunday morning. Had to change it before going back to Turkey Bay.

So, I guess that tire will have to be my spare, if it's even good for that now. Might just be leaking at the bead, and re-mounting may take care of it.

I had BFG damage and came close to having BVD damage too. :)

Tom