Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR4

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
New for 2010, the 2010 Land Rover LR4.

Edmunds has a First Drive up.

"The 2010 LR4 has also made a large leap forward to meet the expectations its well-heeled buyers have for modern electronics. This Land Rover offers keyless push-button start, an electronic parking brake, a fully integrated iPod connection that is fully operable via greatly improved steering controls, Bluetooth and hard-drive-based navigation."

Comments

• britman4britman4 Member Posts: 27
    Come on...
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    primarily, yes, but fixes some of the major beefs I have with the LR3:

Bad dash layout
    Under-powered (I have the HSE, and at 300hp, it's still not enough to move this heavy thing around)
    Lower-quality seating than is available in the RR line
    Strange memory seat button location
    Crappy, slow GPS interface (LR4 looks like it is the one from the LR2/Jag - much better!)
    Crappy wood option (I ordered the wood fascia on my LR3, and was never told it was actually plastic!! Bad sales job, LR)

The things I really like about it are:
    Bigger motor
    cleaned up interior
    REAL wood trim
    cleaned up front grille with RR style slats
    Proper ipod integration
    Push button start

Things I don't like:
    Cheesy Audi-esque LED surrounds on the headlights.

Things I wish it had:
    The Supercharged engine as an option
    If you get the bullbar, that you get to keep the park sensors in the front
    Better third row seat finish (looks like glue on wood board - very cheap looking... try looking at the Mercedes GL class third row for inspiration if you want to copy something)
    Keyless start (proximity key, similar to the Porsche Entry and Drive system)
    More options for interior colours - only TWO?? Come on now, LR.. you can do better than that. What about a nice tan or baseball glove leather option?
    Spare tire carrier on the rear bumper, not under the rear.. (I've had issues offroading and getting it banged up)
    Cheaper offroading Accessories. (To do one of these up for semi-serious offroading you need to spend 15k minimum on top of the price of the car)
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    You can get the rubber style A-Frame bar and still keep your park assist. Its just the metal one that you lose it on.

Also their is an aftermarket solution for the spare tire carrier. A company makes a swing away holder that attaches to the frame behind the back bumper.

Its expensive though. Cost is over 1,000 dollars plus installation
    The A Frame protector is no good to protect you from low front-end impacts when you try to drive into a ditch and hit the front on the opposite bank...

You should see the bumper on my Defender... lotso scrapes all over that thing from that exact situation....

I've seen the after-market thing for the tire you mention - not sure I trust something that drills through the bumper right on the corner - it doesn't look like it would support the weight properly...
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The bumper is actually removed on that installation and then bolted onto the metal frame behind it. Then the bumper is cut out to fit around the support bracket and reinstalled. I am sure it is plenty strong I found some pictures once of an install online not sure if I could find them again but I will give it a try.
  • comishkaufcomishkauf Member Posts: 1
    Hi. What's a fair price to pay for one of the new LR4s? Thanks.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    With the short supply and high demand we are still charging MSRP.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I think the updates look nice on the new LR4. I sure wish they offered a diesel as an option.

Personally, I won't pay MSRP for anything (ok, I did pay MSRP for my CR-V to pull behind the Dynasty). But, Honda's have a good resale value.

I can wait a year on the LR4 if the price is not right. :( (Currently a 2006 LR3 HSE).

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    The diesel is a ways off - the cost of certification for a small manufacturer is enormous on a per unit basis. 2010 is going to be a low production year, but the deals will come with time. At present we cannot keep units on the grround.
  • rosiemick1rosiemick1 Member Posts: 3
    After much research, I have determined that the LR4 is the perfect car for my needs, which include transporting 3 performance dogs to competitions. The cargo area is near perfect configuration (seats fold essentially flat, which is big issue, and has some height) unless I go to something much larger - which I don't want. But I just cannot make myself buy a new vehicle that gets 12 mpg in my city. That seems ludicrous in today's world. Land Rover has the vehicle in other countries, and it is getting rave reviews. Mercedes, Audi, BMW, and others have managed to bring diesel options to the US. What's the problem?
    I asked about this several years ago... Diesel is still a fairly new offering for all those manufacturers you listed, and Land Rover has never been a leader of the pack when it comes to new markets.
    That being said, in behind the market issues LR has, I have been told point blank that LRNA didn't want to bring in the diesel for two main reasons.
    1. Their diesels are mostly geared towards the cleaner low-sulfur diesel available in the rest of the world, but for some reason not readily available here in NA. The best we can get is Sunoco Gold diesel, which is still not as good as average diesel in the UK.
    2. LRNA did not want to dilute the premium-ness of their brand by having a diesel model in NA. I questioned this one with the dealership who told me that.

I currently lease, and if there had been a diesel model available, I would have bought it...

The question is always - when are we getting a diesel?

I've heard answers ranging from "not in the foreseeable future" to "We should have one in a 2011 model available near the end of 2010"

When I asked about models that would be able to get it, I was told the first one would be the Range Rover with a large V8 or V10 diesel as well as the yet-to-be-named LRX addition to the RR line with a diesel-hybrid.

Nobody had any good information about a TDV6 powered LR4 or a TDV4 powered LR2.

As an aside, your comment about the floor fold essentially flat - it is actually perfectly flat - there's no incline at all. Only issue is with the large gaps in the floor. If you're carrying dogs (as I do) make sure to get the rubberized loadspace cover. I have the flat rollup one... I almost never take it out, so I may have done well by getting the one with the sides on it.
    Thanks for your response. With regard to the first part of your answer, I was unaware of the difference in diesel between the countries. That makes some sense. But I have a problem with the 'premium-ness' argument. The reviews coming out of the UK are glowing, and nothing about them suggests less than top performance from their diesel. I just find Land Rover's approach to selling vehicles a bit mystifying. And getting info out of the company is like pulling teeth.
    But I've been reluctant to buy a new car after being unhappy with my last Mercedes. I had been determined to buy the smallest, most fuel-efficient vehicle that would meet my needs. I started out looking at the Audi G7, BMW X5 (seats in back don't go flat), the Lexus RX (too small), Lexus LX and GX (Max cargo space is pitiful), Mercedes GL (not flat). I went to look at the Range Rover, but fell in love with the LR4, for its perfect cargo space, and the fit and finish. And FUN to drive!
    I've never leased a vehicle before, but I think that may be what I do. Then I won't be overcommitted if the diesel comes soon.
    Thanks for your advice about the mat for the back. I'll definitely do that.
    wrt the other vehicles -
    Audi Q7 is godawful ugly... it's nice when you're behind the driver's seat, but damn, I wouldn't want to have to look at that thing in my driveway.
    BMW X5 - have you seen the tiny storage area? No really. It's the smallest in the class.
    Lexus Rx is really nice, but like you say too small for you.
    I really like the Mercedes GL, but like you mention you had a bad time with them previously and the seats are not 100% flat.. if you can see your way past that the BlueTec diesel is really good on fuel.
    Out of the RR, RRS and LR4, my favourite is the RRS Supercharged with the Alcantara leather seats. That thing goes like a rocket with 510 BHP... but you said you wanted fuel efficiency...

Have you looked at any of the premium GM fullsize SUVs with the hybrid engines? How about a Toyota 4 Runner (not sure if they make a hybrid?)

Honda Odyssey minivans are great if you're into that kind of thing? LOTS of cargo space, and good on fuel too.
    Just seeing the above response. Have to laugh, because I'm in complete agreement with your take on every car I mentioned. What a coincidence. 100% agree on the Audi. Even took one home, and thought 'ugly' as I looked out into the driveway. Too funny! Ditto the others. Love the RRS Supercharged as well, but the cargo space just doesn't work as well for the dogs. I don't always use crates, but I sometimes do, and have 3 dogs - one small and 2 medium-sized. Looked at several GM cars/trucks, and always found something wrong - or felt like I was driving a pickup truck. Nothing against trucks, but don't want one for day-to-day driving. This will be my primary vehicle. And the minivan. You are right on. And many of my 'dog friends' own just that. And it's perfect. But again, it's the day-to-day thing. If I could have an Odyssey just for dog trips and competitions, I'd do it in a minute. No, I keep coming back to the LR4, and get the feeling it's right for me. Don't even mind the absent power features - lift gate, 3rd row seats (which I won't use anyway). I drove a jaguar sedan for years, and don't mind the manual approach - if it is otherwise well made. So. Except for the fuel issue.....
  • duvbear1duvbear1 Member Posts: 1
    Friends
    I am seriously thinking about pulling the pin and purchasing a new LR4 this summer. We have a very good dealer in Alexandria VA. Questions - can anyone advise me on purchase experience? and Can you tell me why JD Power lists LR as literally LAST on numbers of complaints per vehicle, and the nature of those complaints (serious?, trim?).
    Thanks.
    D
    I understand the difference between first and last in JD Powers IQS is 1 fault per 1000 cars. That is how good all cars are becoming. Also, we are the victim of perceived faults - that is things that the customer may think is a fault that actually is working as designed. An example is "the doors are hard to shut". true - they are triple sealed so we can go wading thru water. Not a fault but designed. I can also tell you our warranty income has dropped dramatically over the past 2 years.
    I plan on buying one myself.
    Totally agree.

I see people complaining about their GPs not working correctly... when it is working as designed... Just didn't read the manual...

What's odd, is that LR customers are VERY picky. I remember a guy who had it inthree times because he though it was shimmying. I even went on a drive with him, and I couldn't feel it (and I drive the same year and model he did) but the dealership is obliged to look into it.

BUT, to be fair, I have had my LR into the dealership more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. But it gets fixed right every time, and my dealership is fantastic at taking care of me. Always free loaners, fast pickups and drop offs at my work when its just a quick service, and occasionally I get picked up in a Demo Rolls or Jag. (they are a Rolls / Bentley / Jag / Aston dealer as well)

All in all I am very happy with my dealership. And I love my LR3. When my lease is up, the LR4 is #1 at the top of my list of the next vehicle I get.
    Even though I do a complete delivery and go thru the navigation system I had a new owner call me after the first road trip to tell me his system was not working properly. I asked what the problem was. He answered that he could not enter a destination although he had tried many times. I asked him if the car was stopped when he tried it. He said "no, we were driving every time". I told him to stop the car and try again. He sheepishly called me back to tell me it was working as designed. Go Figure. I am glad you are enjoying your car and I know if you have not yet driven the LR4 you are in for a treat.
    I was thinking for the last few years how they could improve that - something like only lock it out if there is nobody sitting in the right front seat or something like that?

I have driven the LR4 and even wrote up an article about it on my local club's web site:
    http://www.landroveradventure.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6- 4:lr4-first-impression-finally-a-land-rover-that-looks-feels-and-drives-like-a-7- 0k-truck&catid=62:vehicles&Itemid=80
  • mtnbiker5mtnbiker5 Member Posts: 29
    I'm going to be buying a new car soon. I've narrowed down to these two, the LR4 & X5. I really cant decide. I realize this is a LR discussion board, sorry to waste your time. I like both cars, I like the "free service" for 50k BMW throws in there (u pay for it I know), my concern with the X5 like many people have said is reliability after you get over the 50k and the cost to repair it. I buy my cars, dont lease, like to hold on to them for some time. I loved the LR4, inside and out. Love the fact your up high, off road capability, room, nice car/truck (what is it?!) Need some pros and cons before making a decision. The new LR4 has gotten tremendous reviews all around now. Still, again, only discrepancy seems to still be reliability as well. Can anyone give me some real feedback on this whole LR reliability issue because everything I've read about th X5's reliability I'm not that impressed either. Thank you.
    You're talking premium brans in either case. It will be expensive either way you choose. For me the X5 has way too little cargo space. It basically a truck body on the 5series platform (just as the x6 is on the m6 platform)
    the lr4 has a real truck ladder frame making it much tougher. That being said the x5 is a better handling road vehicle because of that car frame.
    It all depends on what your focus for buying is. Great driving truck but don't need any storage room? Go with the x5.
    Want something a bit different that can carry more loads and occasionallygo offroad without batting an eye? Get the LR4.
    If it's an emotional decision about which makes you feel better, IMHO go with the LR4.
    You'll give it a name, take it camping, go on long trips with it. It's a family member. The x5 is just an suv.
    I appreciate that. I'm coming off an 06 RX330. Cant say I've had any real problems with it other than the whole Japanese technology has bored me to death and the new RX's are more boring. I am just really impressed with how nice the LR4 really is.
    One last question, I'm trying to find out how high the LR4 is in the back. Trying to see if it will actually fit in my garage (could be a deal breaker). I'm reading in the LR4 book the dealer gave me, height is 76.3? I know the back end is a little higher than the front so I need to make sure this beauty will be protected.
    Actually, the LR4 has a unique construction. It is a unibody like the X5. A unibody provides better fit and finish, safety and roadability. But to be a Land Rover it needs a lower center of gravity and greater torsional strength than a unibody can provide. Therefore, they hydro form a frame. This process utilizes 2300 psi fluid to form the frame. One can do a large intregal shape with no weak spots. A full frame is then put under the unibody. Much different from a unibody car or a body on frame like the 4Runner.
    I have been involved with LR for almost 9 years now. Only once did I have a customer who had a height problem. He lived in a urban condo high rise and his parking space was the lowest in the entire garage area. He lowered the car to access height when he entered the garage area (2" lower) and never had a problem. I have never had a home owner with a space problem.
    I could (and have ) write an epistle on the improved reliability on LRs. Every year they get better. At our dealership (which is small) our warranty income has dropped in excess of 7 figures over the past 2 years. The days of being very British in terms of reliability are gone. We rank very well with other Euro brands.
    Dan, your article was good reading. I might note that the LR4 has 2 vents now for a reason. The 4.4L engine in the LR3 only needed 1 vent. It was form follows function. The new LR4 5.0L needs 2 vents. So it is function, not design, that dictated 2 vents.
    Thank you. Would you happen to know exactly how high the truck is in the back from the ground to the top of the back of the car?
    At normal driving height 74.5" (6' 2.5")
  • lr4fanlr4fan Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have owned an LR4 5 months and have 11,300 trouble free miles. Around town mileage is 16-17 and highway mileage is around 20 at 70 mph and 19+ at 75 mph. Fit and finish are excellent. Handling is above average for an SUV and there is more than ample power for merging or towing. Seven adults can be seated comfortably. Storage behind the second row of seats is spacious and the third row of seats has 36 inches of leg room (can't be beat). The interior is flawless. Best LR bang for the buck. Can go off road or jump a curb when necessary. Six footers can sit in 3rd row and stretch out. There have been no electronic problems.
  • buckybadger1buckybadger1 Member Posts: 10
    I did a ton of research and finally pulled the plug on a 2010 LR4. It was between this and a X5 (have owned bmws for the past 5+ years). Really wasn't that hard of a decision if you are looking for a true truck/suv. The X5 is a great vehicle but as mentioned prior does not offer much in regards to hauling space.
    Only issue i have had are the crappy tire pressure monitor sensors (trouble in all models not just LR). Whoever thought this was a good idea had way too much time on their hands! First most people check their tires periodically and second if you get a flat tire i am guessing you know it and don't need a bs monitor to tell you that. Anyways it has been in the shop a couple of times regarding this issue (couldnt pinpoint which monitor - finally think it is the monitor inside the tire - must be a common deal as the part is back ordered)...
    The vehicle is fun to drive, very responsive and agile. It is a head turner in every aspect and I enjoy the fact that there are relatively few of these on the road (so far). I believe they will be a huge seller.
    Suggestions to LR -- put in a bigger gas tank. 325+/- miles per tank is not enough
    range. Make the roof rack standard and not a dealer add on.
    Conclusion -- If you are in the market for a luxury/sport SUV "truck" this is the vehicle for you. It distinguishes the line between car/suv (x5/lexus) and true luxury truck/suv without sacrificing comfort and convenience. Good job Land Rover!!
    Congratulations. I can only warn you that once you own a LR you will always own one. Enjoy!
  • jwscfajwscfa Member Posts: 4
    On February 17th of this year I took delivery of a 2010 LR4 HSE with the Lux Plus Package. On February 23rd the vehicle would not start and was flat bedded back to the selling dealer for two days to diagnose and replace the brake switch. The warning on the dash said "place foot on brake" while my foot was on the brake. On March 3rd the same problem occurred resulting in the service manager of the selling dealer coming to my house and adjusting the brake switch. Apparently it was not reading adequate vacuum pressure in the brake system. In addition to this problem I experienced many of the same issues noted on this forum with satellite radio reception problems, incorrect satellite radio displays, uneven steering wheel heating and calculation problems with the guidance system unable to read the amount of fuel in the tank when it was full.

On March 29th while driving I got 4 fault codes-transmission fault,parking brake fault, emergency brake assist not available and stability control not available-drive carefully. I drove the car home and it once again was sent by flat bed back to the selling dealer. After keeping my vehicle for 3.5 days I received a call from the service manager. He stated that most of the minor issues would be fixed with a software upgrade due to come out in a month. He also stated that they had not been able to replicate the fault codes and Land Rover had instructed them to return the vehicle to me. The vehicle had 1601 miles when it went back to the dealer.

I documented each of these issues with digital camera photos which I provided to the dealer. Some of these issues may seem minor and I would not dispute that but for $60k I think you have the right to be a little picky. However having two major service issues within a month and a half with one of them being a major safety issue was too much for me. The fact that made up my mind about the quality of the car was when Land Rover would not acknowledge that the car even had a problem even though it was documented with pictures. I think my selling dealer did all they could to correct the issue but got little support from the factory. Basically here is a vehicle with a major safety problem that Land Rover is unwilling to acknowledge and is willing to put this car back on the road. They have a car that they cannot fix so their response was to send the car back to the owner. This is totally unacceptable from a safety standpoint and I traded the vehicle for another brand.

I feel everyone should be aware of how Land Rover is not facing up to service issues with this vehicle and I would strongly recommend against anyone purchasing any vehicle from a manufacturer such as Land Rover who has this attitude toward service and safety issues with their vehicles.
    That's an odd one to be sure. I think your problem is more with the dealer than with the truck. Try another dealer for service.
    Remember the LR4 is just a refreshed LR3. It's a fairly mature platform that will deliver years of fun for you but I hope this one experience doesn't sour you on it.
    Sounds like they're just blaming software for what is probably a faulty sensor. Did they check the parking brake sensor? I'd definitely want a good mechanic to sit down with me and have a go-over with what is bothering me mechanically about the truck.

Over the past four years I've had my share of good and bad dealers. I now drive an hour to get to a dealer that has one of the best LR mechanics in the country. Seiously, this guy teaches other mechanics.

You have got to find that good second opinion.

On the other hand you may have a really rare lemon. I've heard of one case where a short in the harness caused all sorts of issues and my dealer (the one with the awesome tech) replaced the womans truck with a new one. Head office directed the dealership to replace all the wiring in the truck, which required about 90% complete disassembly of the truck. They said when that was done, the truck never came back with any gremlins-and it was the awesome mechanic who took it apart and put it back together again.

Not saying what you have is that bad-it just sounds like a bad sensor and an inexperienced mechanic. Get that second opinion from another dealer -- preferrably one that comes recommended. Make sure you tell them the history and that you expect it to be fixed or replaced. You shouldn't have to put up with bad service.
    There are a couple of clarifications that I think I should make. First, it was Land Rover tech support's determination that the car should be returned to me, not the dealer. Because of this I do not blame the dealer but rather the attitude of the manufacturer. As to finding another mechanic while the car is under warranty, if Land Rover was not going to believe my photo documentation of the fault codes why would they believe another mechanic? The nearest Land Rover dealer to me is over 2 hours away and I do not have the time to drive to each one to see if they can fix the problem. Finally the issue is moot as the dealer replaced the car with another brand from their family of dealerships. The dealership did what it took to make the situation right, not Land Rover. It is now not my problem but be aware if you are looking to purchase a used 2010 LR4 with under 2000 miles in Nara Bronze in the Southeast U.S.
    There is a software enhancement coming in the next few weeks that will solve your issues
    Thanks. I think you are correct - i hope to be a "rover" for quite some time.
    That's really a shame that you had to go that route. Personally, I would have escalated within LR NA.

Only having one dealer within reasonable range is certainly a limiting factor in your case. Do you mind me asking what other vehicle you got into?

I currently own 6 Land Rovers of various vintages, and have never had a service issue like you describe. (I purposely don't say 'dealer' or 'technical' as each of them are subjective).

The most modern of my Rovers are 2 1994's (A Range Rover and a Defender NAS) and a 2006 LR3 HSE, which is getting replaced this coming fall with a 2011 LR4. (My other vehicles are a 1959 Series 2 5dr station wagon, a 1968 Series 2A Dormobile and a 1983 Series 3 LWB Military pickup truck.)

I had a few good dialogs with LR over the years about the design of the sensor system in the LR3, but I didn't get to them by just asking.. I had to press my case for a redesign on the sensors for the suspension system. I have a background in electronics engineering, and currently work in the IT field. I had a look at the wiring system in the LR3 (which is available publicly, BTW) and recommended that they change it to a 2-factor sensor system.

I had previously had a few instances where the system would tell me I had a suspension fault and that I should pull over ASAP. Then it would drop me to the bump stops. For a normal person this would mean a call to the towing service and a trip to the dealer. Well, I hate that. So I found out how to reset the fault system on an LR3. It's a little involved, and I won't get into the specifics here, but suffice it to say, it's never failed to get my truck back on it's feet. According to the docs, if there is a legitimate fault, it won't recover.. If it's a flaky sensor or frost, or a computer hiccup, resetting the fault system will allow you to recover and be on your way.

This led me to think that there was a way to improve the sensor system. I proposed they set up two sensors on the suspension system. If both of the sensors found an error, then you had a legitimate fault. If only one had a fault, then you've got a faulty sensor or a computer glitch. Log it, and report that you may have a sensor or computer issue, but don't ground the truck.

I haven't heard back if they've incorporated my suggestion into the new design, but they were at least receptive to it when I submitted it to LR engineering in the UK.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply. The dealer traded me into a 2010 Lexus GX 460 which has been flawless so far. I agree that sensors in modern cars are a problem depending upon design, etc but how is anyone to know if it is the sensor or a true mechanical fault? I would hate to be cruising into a corner and the stability system die on me. I probably could have escalated the issue within LR given my photographic evidence but I needed a vehicle that I could depend upon for day to day driving and given the distances involved it was just not worth the time and effort. I hope your new LR4 that you are purchasing is a good vehicle. I certainly wanted my vehicle to work out as I truly liked the LR4 when it was functioning correctly. However having driven the Lexus it seems to be a far superior vehicle in terms of functionality than the LR.
    Isn't Lexus a Toyota? Now there is an honest company as we find out, yikes...
    Having car problems really is aggravating..I have had my share as well - from Jeep (had one replaced) to Mercedes (bad transmission with less than 2,000 miles on it).
    I hope your replacement goes better.
    So far my new LR4 is everything and more that I wanted - a luxury SUV.
  • lhr7lhr7 Member Posts: 11
    You purchased a 2010 Lexus GX 460? You do realize that Toyota/Lexus has just stopped selling that vehicle due to concerns that it flips over to easily. I understand that you may have some problems with your LR4. But, I have owned two different models of LR3s (both models are less then 4 years old), I have to say I have pretty decent luck with my dealers taking care of any issues. Did you get some bad gas? I have seen cheap gas cause the computer to believe it was misfirings, when it really wasn't? They are very sensitive when it comes to gas.

However, if your dealer is as great as you say...you may want to talk with them about switching to a different vehicle for your family's safety. The last thing you need is to see someone hurt because the Lexus flipped due to being to top heavy.
    Well, the LX460 compares more with a Range Rover than an LR4. (price and performance-wise) Prices around here are 10-15$k more for a basic LX460 than for a loaded LR4, so I guess they must have upsold you into it.

It all comes down to lifestyle. When I was shopping for my LR3, we were hemming and hawing between the LR3 HSE and a Porsche Cayenne S.

My wife asks me a very simple question:
    Since we camp a lot, would you feel bad if you scratched the paint on the Porsche while out in the bush, or scratched it up going over some logs or rocks?

Answer: heck yeah, it's a Porsche. It's supposed to look pretty.

Would you feel bad about scratching the Land Rover?

Answer: Heck no, that's what a Land Rover is for. Scratches make for interesting stories to tell how you got them when sitting around the campfire.

Final Answer: We got a Land Rover.
    (And we try to scratch it as much as possible - but found out that LR puts so many coats on paint on them, that we haven't been able to damage it yet doing our usual activities.)
  • 8319683196 Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping prices on the LR4 and found an HSE plus 7 seat w/20" wheels. The dealer is willing to drop $2500 off MSRP. I am also trading in my Lexus lx470, which is where they should be able to make some money. I am also paying cash for the difference. Does paying cash make any difference to the dealer? I believe they have manuf to dealer incentives for financing, so maybe that won't work in my favor. I really liked the loaded HSE Lux but he wouldn't come down further than $2500 off and seemed offended when I asked. Any thoughts?
    With the current supply/demand situation I am quite surprised he came down $2500. Is it a retired service loaner? In normal situation cash or finance makes no difference to the sales department. The finance incentive (and by the way it is 2.9% for 60 months and less for shorter terms) belongs to the finance department. The trade is in reality a separate transaction and the dealer does not count what he may or may not make on the trade as part of your deal.
  • 8319683196 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. New, not a loaner so I guess I'll go for that one which really has all I need anyhow. Not a huge difference in the LUX, especially with black interior.
    Might I ask where you live?
  • jeepers16jeepers16 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I've been a Jeep guy all my life and my past 3 cars have been the past 3 generations of the Grand Cherokee, most recently a 2009 Overland with the Hemi V-8.

With a growing family we decided to step my wife into a larger car. We debated between the LR4, the MBGL350, and the AudiQ7. We finally decided to go with the LR4 although we were a bit nervous to do so given Land Rover's reputation for having reliability issues.

To make a long story short, we took delivery of a 2010 LR4 Lux Plus today. Beautiful car! We drove off the dealers lot and honest to god, did not make it a mile before the check engine light turned on. We turned around, went back to the dealer, and the salesmen couldn't find any easily reversible problems to clear the light (eg: loose gas cap). Since the service department had already closed, we had to leave the LR4 behind. The sad part is that we live a good 1.5 hours from the dealership so we made the drive for nothing!

In summary, the 3.3 miles that we put on our new LR4 today were nice. Unfortunately it seems that the horror stories that I have read about regarding reliability may be true. I'll post an update when I get a verdict as to what is wrong with the brand new car and will also post an update as to how my dealer handles the situation. Stay tuned!
    Not a good start, however...
    I have owned a LR4 for about 7 months and I couldn't be happier. My wife has been driving it for the past two months because she had a BMW and during a flood it destroyed the engine (2010).
    Other than initially i had a tire sensor malfunction (seems all makes have this -- did they ever think it got below 32 degrees and the tire pressure goes lower..). That is it. I love the vehicle and have and will recommend to friends.

One thing is don't compare to the BMW; Mercedes or Audi. This is a TRUCK not a hybrid or crossover. You made a great choice and i am confident the engine light snafu is just that...
    That's certainly one for the record books.

It must have smelled the Jeep on you! Seriously though, I've never had any issues with my LR3 over the past 4 years that has scared me away from them - we love ours so much we are taking delivery of our 2011 LR4 in a few weeks.

That being said, it has not been a completely painless four years. We have had the suspension fault messages a few times, but have never been stranded because of it (thanks to an offroad driving instructor's tip on how to reset the fault system), and we had the sunroof refuse to open once which required a trip to the dealer to correct.

Then there was the one time where it poured a ton of water on my wife in the backseat - something about the sunroof drain channel backing up?

But we love our truck, and it has given us four years of fun with our dogs and our son - he loves it too - "Momma's truck" he calls it.. ("Dahdah's truck" is a bright yellow Defender 90 softtop)

All in all, it's been a fun-filled four years with lots of good memories from camping and offroading to continent-wide roadtrips.
  • jeepers16jeepers16 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply's. They are somewhat comforting. It was definitely bad timing - with us already going in a little apprehensive regarding Land Rover's reliability history, and then with the engine light coming on right after we drive the car off the lot. Hopefully its just a small, easily correctable thing.

If this car holds up, I really do think that we're going to enjoy it. There's really nothing else out there that we could find that combines its practicality in terms of available cargo space, comfortable seating for 7, unique ability to be a comfortable highway cruiser without sacrificing off road ability, all with an overall feel of luxury.

In terms of luxury, at this price point, we were slightly disappointed with the quality of the leather (we even got the upgraded leather), the lack of sirius traffic, the lack of wireless headphones for the rear seat entertainment system, and the small size of the navigation screen - perhaps though the money went towards the terrain select system and other off road gadgets that make this truck unique.

Anyway, hopefully we'll have a better idea of what's going on tomorrow, when the service area opens. I'll keep you posted.
    I hate to see someone go through that - it would take the shine off a whole bunch on the new car.

Like I said, I never had anything really serious happen to the truck - much less than my other north american brands cars..

The price of the LR4 is probably in the terrain systems and the chassis... It does have two chassis after all!

You didn't mention where you lived, but if you're anywhere near where they use salt on the roads, I'd think about getting one of those electronic rust protection things. And get it sprayed every year with oil..

The LR3 has a few weak spots when it comes to rust - the rear crossmember under the plastic panel. The front two horns where the engine mounts up - a few other spots... I imagine the LR4 has the same weak spots.

I'm thinking I want to get the chassis sprayed with Waxoyl if I can find a place that does it around here.