Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover LR4

2»

Comments

• Options
    jeepers16jeepers16 Member Posts: 3
    So today we got an answer. Looks like it wasn't a Land Rover quality issue afterall. Apparently a "rodent" chewed through the wires to the knock sensor. Luckily the "rodent" got full after eating the wire and it doesn't appear that any other damage was done. Sensor has been replaced and the LR4 is reportedly doing well. Now just gotta find time to drive the 1.5-2 hours back to the dealer to pick it up....I guess I feel better now about the LR4...I think...
  • Options
    buckybadger1buckybadger1 Member Posts: 10
    Perhaps a "rodent"...or perhaps wasnt wired correctly to begin with. Hopefully the snafu is fixed and you can start enjoying your LR4.

Again i can't say enough good things about our 2010, especially the evening we got almost 6" rain and my rover impressed the neighborhood while going thru water half way up the doors! i was impressed as were others...bring on winter!

good luck - chances are you will be a rover buyer for life!
  • Options
    dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    edited September 2010
    Reminds me of the Colorado blizzard a few years back. They had a news report about how all the roads were closed and there was so much snow on the ground you couldn't move...

My wife was sitting with me in the waiting area of the local LR dealer with some other die-hards. On the TV was the CNN Weather Alert updates for the blizzard. She says: "I don't know about you guys, but that looks like it would be fun!"

Lots of grins all-round.

Another comment was: "Funny how when the roads all get blocked up, a Land rover driver will find an excuse to drive 20 miles to get milk in the middle of a blizzard"

BTW, we weren't there because it had broken down - it was just a regular maintenance visit!
  • Options
    drlagsdrlags Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    any thoughts on buying new or slightly used 2010's ( i live in western PA) vs. 2011 as far as saving money? I hate paying for the drive off the lot immediate depreciation. As far as i can tell there is no real difference in the 2010 and 2011 models....any good internet sources in searching out the 2010's?.....
  • Options
    pharlandpharland Member Posts: 1
    I have a new LR4 with just over 3k miles on it. My tire sensor warning light came on about 2 months ago took it to dealer and it was a computer issue requiring them to keep vehicle 4 days. about a month ago, my wife got rear ended causing almost 7K damage. Got vehicle back and tire sensor issues again including the spare. Since these problems happened once before the accident, doubt they are accident related. Anyone with similar problems. FYI, tire pressures are fine.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited September 2010
    I test drove an LR4 yesterday and fell in love with it. It really has everything my wife and I are looking for in a new family vehicle.

After the test drive however, I opened the hood (bonnet?) to look at the engine compartment - and opened a can of worms.

You see, I'm an enthusiast, and I like to maintain my own cars. I replace the fluids more frequently than scheduled, change my own brake pads/rotors, etc. Anyways, I was surprised to learn that not only does the LR4 engine not have a oil level dipstick, it doesn't have a drain either. Probing the salesperson further, he told me that the transmission also doesn't have a dipstick - lifetime fluid. He didn't know where the spark plugs/coils or the brake fluid reservoir are located either.

Like some others here I'm sure, I want to buy a vehicle that I will keep beyond the warranty period. In my opinion, the only way to do this is to change fluids regularly - and more frequently than the factory interval. I thought Land Rover made vehicles for enthusiasts, but maybe they've gone the way of BMW and now cater to hands-off urban dwellers who prefer to pay shop rates for simple maintenance?

Can anyone here confirm that the LR4 engine bay really is that hands-off to shade tree mechanic owners? If I can't change my own engine oil or flush my own transmission and brake fluid, it'll very likely be a deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    mansab69mansab69 Member Posts: 3
    Leaies and Gents,

I fell in love with LR4 V6 4 Liter (new 2010), but just saw an MB R350 4Matic whcih is pre-owned therefore the Value for Money is high specially the Badge at R350 is lot stronger.

In a fix now, what to go for LR4 (2010 - New) or preowned Mercedes Benz R350 4Matic

need help in deciding.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Huh?

You're comparing a new V8 truck to a used V6 minivan?
  • Options
    vhousadvhousad Member Posts: 1
    It's true there is no drain plug for the oil...you change the oil by suctioning it out using a $40 pump that you can buy just about anywhere. This makes for the easiest oil change I have ever performed. No need to get under the truck and honestly did not get a single drop of oil on me during my last DIY change.
  • Options
    buckybadger1buckybadger1 Member Posts: 10
    i had a similar issue with a tire sensor. it ended up being replaced (not computer system but the sensor within the tire) and i haven't had an issue since.

BTW...we also have a bmw that continuously has a tire sensor alert when the temps dip below freezing...pain in the butt!
  • Options
    fivegfiveg Member Posts: 1
    I previously owned a 1997 Range Rover which was a lot of fun and quirky, but rather hard on the wallet for repairs. Also underpowered. I traded that in at 120K miles for a 2007 CX9, which has been incredibly reliable, great room, well layed out, and pretty good handling. With Grand Touring, it actually looks pretty good. And, good value for the money.

But it's not a LR.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I recently looked at/drove a 2011 LR4 HSE. Beautifully appointed, much improved layout, much improved power, and, well, a Rover. So now I'm fighting my demons: keep my perfectly good CX9 which has about 49,000 miles on it, or upgrade to a LR.

(BTW, very little off road at present, but who knows the future? But, plenty of snowy weather driving). And it is, after all, a LR. (someone posted a once-a-LR-owner, always-a-LR-owner comment; I suspect that he is right).

So, the questions: (a) has reliability really improved that much? (b) what is real world experience with gas mileage, and (c) am I nuts to change over (or not change over)?

Thanks.

FiveG
  • Options
    rxleaserxlease Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

I am looking at leasing a 2011 LR4 HSE LUX, $0 down, 36 months, 12K miles. Can someone please share money factor and residual values that would be considered reasonable?

Thank you!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Land Rover LR4 Lease Questions

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    For any dealers or folks more informed than I am.... I was driving out tonight in deep-ish snow (about 6-8" or so) so I had the truck in Grass/Gravel/Snow mode, which helps out with wheeel spin and such, and noticed something in the Driver Info Centre on the dash...

Whenever I was coming to a stop or starting off, there was a large graphic displayed in the Driver Info Centre - it looked like the two front wheels, and the front diff.

No errors, no issues... just a graphic.

I looked in the owner's manual, curious what this meant; but it's not in there....

Any clues?
  • Options
    awf_axisawf_axis Member Posts: 136
    I have a new RR Sport, and it has the same display. However, this occurs on all non-standard selections, not just Grass..Snow.

If you switch your center screen to 4x4 info, you get the same graphic plus other stuff. It simply is designed to show you your wheel direction, which can be important when off-roading and beginning to move through obstacles, or working your way out of sticky situations.

Dave
  • Options
    That makes sense. The wheels were straight when I stopped and started, so the graphic looked static to me...

I have noticed a trend in LR documentation that they are really lacking in the details department.

When I bought my 06 LR3, it had a veritable library of docs with everything covered in minute detail. This LR4 is really skim on the details...

how's this for a decline?

Look in the user manual under offroad driving, and the only chapter description is how to wash your vehicle!!

Where's the old documentation that described approach and departure, water wading and how to create and drive a bow wave, recovery from mud, etc?

There's more information on cup holders than on the technical aspects of the center driver info center (2 whole pages for cup holders!)

Check it out...
    http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?groupId=368&id=125- 739
  • Options
    I started noticing that on a regular basis, the camera facing the front on the drivers side gets a solid blue screen with an icon of the camera on it with a line through it....

It's intermittent, and I've had it into the dealer yester to fix - they had to remove the whole nose of the truck to fix, and I got the dealer loaner overnight - no word on what it is, or how long it's going to be... anyone else get this?
    ">
  • Options
    Got the truck back this morning - the coax cable to the camera was kinked. When they replaced it with one in stock, that one was bad as well, so they had to order one.

One other thing they were working on was the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) It keeps giving a system fault message.

We've had it in before for that, and I have heard from my dealer that they think it's a software bug right now. (Possibly related to the Bluetooth they say, but I don't see how the two are related?) LRNa is asking for details from their dealers on the rate of occurrence on this one to try and figure out what the issue is. All they could do was reset the fault and send us on our way...
  • Options
    jimnewportjimnewport Member Posts: 1
    What is a good source for running boards, and cargo racks for the 2011 LR4?
  • Options
    thumper1221thumper1221 Member Posts: 28
    I just purchased a 2013 LR4 Lux and realized the retractable cover in the cargo area is missing. I looked on the LR website and its not listed as a standard feature or accessory. It is completely absent. However, the owners manual shows instructions or illustrations on page 71.

Anyone know if it's a standard feature or accessory?
  • Options
    dermroverdermrover Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my first LR4 and noticed the same thing. When I asked the dealer, he said that was an optional accessory, but it sure seems like it is supposed to come standard (since every other vehicle has them and the manual describes it). Can't find it as an accessory on the website. Anybody know the scoop? Have we been duped, or do most folks shell out more the LR4 loadspace cover?
  • Options
    magnumforcmagnumforc Member Posts: 16
    We have two new 2013's one an HSE and the other an HSE LUX and neither came with a cargo cover. Bought from differnt dealers On one the dealer gave us one as part of the deal, on the latest one they don't even carry them in stock. Said as of late 2012 LR discontinued including them. My reply was that a 30K Explorer includes it and a 62K LR doesn't. Dealer just shakes his head. Oh well. I suppose I can swap from one to the other if absolutely needed although interion colors are different. What can you say. It isn't a Ford in any case and I can probably find one used if I really want it.
  • Options
    llngoc2llngoc2 Member Posts: 15

Does anyone know if the 2014 LR4 is released to dealers yet? I have seen only 10 or so cars around the whole US. I have a lease expiring in July and is interested in a 2014 LR4 now.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

The only Land Rover news I can find right now is all about the "Discovery" concept. There's zero inventory within 50 miles of Beverly Hills. No idea when LR will start shipping them out.

Anyone?

• Options
    randomeonerandomeone Member Posts: 20

@llngoc2 said:
    Does anyone know if the 2014 LR4 is released to dealers yet? I have seen only 10 or so cars around the whole US. I have a lease expiring in July and is interested in a 2014 LR4 now.

They're definitely around, I just bought a 2014 LR4 HSE. There is a supply issue for sure(dealers like to claim it's a demand issue, but it's really not). Very few dealers had them in stock, they were receiving a couple of cars per month, and it's a 4 month lead time if you want to custom order. If you can wait, custom is the way to go, I ultimately settled for a model that lacked a couple of things I wanted, and had a couple of things I didn't much care for. But I did need a vehicle much sooner than 4mo, and was able to get a deal on one in dealer stock.