Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Nissan Maxima

smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
The 2010 Maxima is due out sometime this month with some minor changes to colors, package options, and the wheels; there is suppose to be more standard tech on the SV and I wanted to know what everyone thinks about the changes, good or bad, and if there is anything people think Nissan missed that should be done for 2011? Below is a list from Nissan/Infiniti Newsroom of what is changing on the maxima for 2010 if you don't know it already!

2010 Nissan Maxima

The popular Nissan Maxima enters the second year of its seventh-generation design in 2010 with two new exterior colors and fine-tuning of available option packages. The “four-door sports car” is again offered in two well-equipped models – Maxima 3.5 S and Maxima 3.5 SV – each featuring a standard 290-horsepower 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve VQ-series V6 engine and Xtronic CVT™ with manual and “Ds” (drive sport) modes and available paddle shifters.

Along with its breakthrough sports sedan styling, the 2010 Maxima’s sporty interior design combines a driver-oriented cockpit and ample comfort and luxury for passengers. The wide range of available technology includes a premium audio system, RearView Monitor and Nissan Hard Drive Navigation system with XM NavTraffic® real-time traffic information and XM NavWeather® (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Voice Recognition and 9.3GB Music Box Hard Drive. The 2010 Maxima goes on sale in August 2009.

Revisions for 2010 include:

* New wheel finishes for 18-inch (fine silver) and 19-inch (hyper silver) wheels
* iPod® connectivity is changed to USB connectivity
* XM® Satellite Radio becomes standard on Maxima 3.5 SV (XM® subscription required, sold separately)
* Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System is now standard on 3.5 S (also standard on 3.5 SV)
* 7-inch color monitor, RearView Monitor, auxiliary audio/video input jack, iPod® net and 2GB Music Server added to new Monitor Package
* DVD playback capability, Bluetooth® Streaming Audio and XM NavWeather® added to Technology Package (XM® subscription required, sold separately)
* Two new exterior colors added – Crimson Black and Ocean Gray

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    since the 2010 max's have been out a few weeks now I thought a forum for both what people like about their car and any problems they have would be appropriate

I just leased a 2010 Maxima SV (~$38k) super black exterior with cafe interior; overall I'm really happy with the car, how it performs, the interior layout and comfort and the technology in the car, especially the sound system and display screen for audio, climate controls, fuel econ, etc

there are a couple of problems that have already cropped up such as the passenger front seat vibrating and shaking violently while driving when no one is sitting in it; brought it to my local dealer and they said there is a recall on the seat and that this was a known problem with the 2009 and that it looks like the 2010's will have it too; so the car has to go in for work next week to get that corrected

the other thing I was surprised about it the amount of interior squeaks and rattles in the car right from the get go while driving the car; I'm hearing a buzzing/rattling sound in the driver door handle area, the armrest where the center console is, and a third noise coming either from the moonroof or rear ceiling somewhere; I would expect a car that cost ~$38k to not have sounds like that coming from pieces that are either loose or not fit together properly; luckily, the sound system is good enough that I just turn it up and drown out all the other noises; eventually I'll try to pinpoint them and have them looked at during a scheduled maintenance interval

also I was a bit disappointed with the navigation system; my own street is not registered in the database so my own home address is unknown and there are a lot of locations or places missing from the database; for instance, the only fastfood joints listed in my in the database are KFC and Wendy's; its missing the McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Subway that are also in town, so I guess none of those food chains are listed anywhere; a lot of big name chain stores and restaurants are also missing from the nav database

now don't get me wrong these are all minor issues in my opinion and they do not take away from the overall driving experience of the car and I feel the max drives, rides, and even handles better than the infiniti I previously leased; in fact I've gotten 3 complements from complete strangers in just the two weeks I have had the car how nice the body style looks

look forward to hearing other peoples likes and dislikes/problems with their 2010 maxima
  • mr71166mr71166 Member Posts: 4
    I am negotiating to purchase a new 201 Maxima loaded up and have read the above minor issues. Should I mention this prior to signing the paperwork to head off another trip to the dealer ?
  • annieliticalannielitical Member Posts: 1
    After driving Cadillacs for 20 years, I switched to a 2010 Maxima SV with all of the premium upgrades.I really enjoy driving the car. However, I am having some problems learning the advanced phone/radio/navigation system
    When trying to download my address book to the phone's internal address book, I repeatedly get a message telling me it can't transfer the information because it can only accept 1000 entries, far more than I am trying to transfer.
    I have an Ipod which is supposed to work with a standard Ipod-USB cable cord. After buying 3 new cords, I can't get any input from the Ipod, and can't find a possible cure in any of the owner's manuals.Does anyone have any clues to address these problems, or am I faced with a defective radio?
    while I don't have a Ipod I was unable to transfer my address book from my LG version phone into the car's phonebook; after playing around it for days I just gave up and manually entered each number into the vehicle phonebook, but of course that took about 45 minutes to an hour to do; I also am disappointed with the voice recognition for the phone/sat radio/navigation; it really gives me problems with the phone and navigation voice commands; it constantly doesn't recognize what I'm saying and half the time keep hearing "please say again" like 3-4 times until it does the command I want; even if the voice recognition recognizies what I'm saying with nav locatinos it lists something completely different on the screen; I've already complained to my service department about how inaccurate the voice recognition system is on the car; I even made sure I went through the practice so that the system could get to know the sound of my voice but it made no difference!! the whole point of the bluetooth is suppose to be so you don't take your hands off the steering wheel but the constant screwup and "please repeat commands" get me so fustrated that I just take my phone out and manual call; I also have a Acura TL with bluetooth and have had absolutely no problems with the voice recogniition on it so I use that as a comparison and the nissan's voice recognition is very inferior to the Acura
  • 2000protege2000protege Member Posts: 1
    The new gen does nothing for me as far as the styling and I've been a fan of Maxima's since 1985 :cry:

I do like the side profile and the rear but not the face. It looks odd.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Couldn't disagree more on the face styling. I've owned a 2003 and currently own a 2006. The 2003 looked great from profile and from the front, but looked odd and perhaps even a bit "cheap" from behind. The 2006 nose design is far too mainstream for this car and the grill is ugly. It almost stopped me from buying the car, but the deal I got was too good to pass up. I think this is the first time that Nissan's got the entire design package right since around 2000.

Oh, and before you finalize your opinion, make sure you see the interior. Phenomenal.
    yeah, I couldn't disagree more with 2000protege; the main reason why I got the 2010 was because the exterior body style, front, back, side is just absolutely phenomenal; if you look at the pics for the 2011 M it has a very similar exterior body style to the new max and really looks quite snazzy except it is going to be much larger and there are some minor styling differences!! so basically the max is going to turn into a baby M once the 2011 M comes out; also, I came to found out that pictures do not do the new max justice; it looks way better from every angle in person; the body style can't be that bad if people mistake it for a infiniti and infiniti themselves are using several of its styling cues on the new M; I've had several people all ready complement me at gas stations, banks etc how great the body style is and two people thought it was an infiniti; I also agree the interior is really nice on the max and it is comfortable

you want to get a car with a ugly front end look at the new TL; that grill just screams ugly; that is why a lot of Acura dealers and outside body shops are offering to paint most of the grill the body color to hide the damn thing because it is so ugly!!
  • averagecarguyaveragecarguy Member Posts: 11
    To see whether your phone is compatible (not all are), you can find out at:
    http://www.nissanusa.com/bluetooth/
    It appears that the 2010 Max isn't in the mix yet, but try the 2009 and see what it says.
    Regarding the iPod/usb issue - when you plug your iPod into the usb port, it should automatically be recognized by the car, and the Nissan logo should display on the iPod screen. You might need to cycle through the Disc-Aux button on the radio until you see iPod in the top left of the display, but it should do that automatically. If not, you should take it into service and have them look at it. It truly is plug-and-play. Here's a link to the Quick Reference Guide (go to page 10):
    http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/maxima/2010/2010_Maxima_QRG.pdf
    Can the Dual Panel Moonroof be opened, or is it fixed? The web site says that the moon roof covers are powered, but makes no mention of the glass itself being able to be opened.
  • tracguytracguy Member Posts: 28
    The rear glass panel panel is fixed. When you press the switch the cover over both open and then the front glass only opens.
    THANKS! Just to verify, by open do you mean "tilt" or fully open similar to other standard moonroofs? Looking at the roof, I'm worried that you can't fully open the front glass because it doesn't look like there is anywhere for it to go.
  • mthielmanmthielman Member Posts: 9
    The front panel of the dual moonroof does fully open. It slides up over the rear glass.
  • mr71166mr71166 Member Posts: 4
    The sunroof does both. It opens (front half) overtop the back half. It also just tilts up to "vent". Very smart those designers.
    does anyone know why Nissan/Infiniti are one of the only US automakers that doesn't have daytime running lights on their vehicles? it just doesn't make sense to me because almost everyone else (Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, GM, Audi, VW, BMW, Volvo, Subaru, Mercedes) has some sort of daytime running lights; in Canada, DRLs are required and Nissan/Infiniti has to wire those vehicles for DRL so why not just join with the rest of the US auto manufacturers and add them as standard? I really like the new LED DRLs Mercedes and Audi is putting on their lineups! what is your thinking and opinions on DRL and why Nissan/Infiniti vehicles don't have them?
    I've never found the benefits of DRL (improved visibility of oncoming vehicles during hazy conditions) to be worth the effort or the fact that those lamps will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. That said, they certainly are the last of the mohicans in this regard, especially given the Canadian requirements. In the end, it is surprising that they aren't standard, but at the same time I in no way miss having this feature on my Nissan.
    agreed, I don't miss not having DRLs on my Maxima but at the same time I ran into a problem with not having them; I live in NJ and its a state law to have your lights on when your wipers are on; I have an Acura with DRL so if its a cloudy rainy day I don't have to worry about putting lights on since I have the DRLs that are on all the time;

a few weeks ago, it was pouring rain here and I was out in my Max; it was raining pretty heavily but during the middle of the day its not dark enough outside to trigger the automatic headlamps so you would have to manually turn the stick to turn on your headlights; well of course, I forgot this and since the car has no DRLs I was driving with no lights on and sure enough I got pulled over by a NJ trooper and luckily he didn't give me a ticket but he reminded me to have lights on when its raining;

being I have another car with DRLs and now one that doesn't have DRLs you can forget pretty easily to not turn your lights on when its raining; suffice it to say the state trooper was a nice reminded and I will never forget that again when it comes to the max!!!
  • mytemaxmytemax Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a new 2010 and must say it's a great car, I traded my 2004 SL in for it. The thing is, I miss the 6 pack cd player and the 60-40 back seat fold down,,another thing was the trunk cargo netting in the old one, they had plenty of choices. But all in all this 2010 is a real nice car, it turns better, not as much leaning in curves, no pulling at the steering wheel when powering up, a lot better looker too. I had a new grille installed and some painted pin stripes and moved the Maxima logo to under the rear tag, windows were tinted heavy in the back and light in the front. I bought the premiem Pkdg. on the SV model,,I didn't want the Nav. system because I can buy a cheaper portable unit and take it with me when I travel, and don't have to pay a dealer to upgrade it also, when the car is traded I keep it with me for the next maxima!! I also bought the new color "Crimson Black" which reminds me of the old Caddy's "Black Cherry". Now to buy a set of chrome wheels to set it all off would make this unit "CHERRY"!! :)
  • driveudriveu Member Posts: 1
    my wife is the owner but i love to drive the beast. took it to have her first oil change service manager tells me of the strut recall and that they would replace for free. ask and your service center will tell u the same. Now whats also missing is that u don't get to start the car outside the vehicle automatically. i belive the cd says it does but i can't find anything different in the manual. will go today and ask the dealership. Unless someone has any info on this subject,I'll let my wife know. Thanks. ;)
  • ezzelezzel Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone.

Is anyone experiencing (or hearing) a very noticeable wind noise on the passenger side of the windshield over 40 mph ? I have not yet removed the wiper blades or arms, but this appears to be the cause.

Also, the phonebook connection will not stay connected with the car...the bluetooth is fine, but the phonebook goes in and out.

Other than that, the car is awesome and I've only had it a week !
    edited February 2010
    I was wandering if I'm not the only one, but I have a 10 Max SV and the car came with the mudguard accessories from the factory; does anyone else think they are the cheapest worse thing Nissan could do :mad: ? they aren't really even a mudflap/guard but nothing more then a cheap extra FLAT piece of body panel added to behind the front and rear wheels

now that the winter has hit, I have rock chips and marks all over the side of my car because these lousy things do nothing to protect the sides of the car from stuff like that :sick: how could a 38k car have such a cheap worthless accessory, such as these mud guards, that do nothing to help protect and keep the car looking nice :confuse: ? I think the Altima has the same crappy mud guards as well for a option extra? what is up with Nissan :confuse: ??

I am thinking of writing a letter to Nissan Consumer Affairs complaining about this and that they need to come up with better body colored mud flaps for the car that actually attach and extend down past the wheel well so that the sides of the car are protected!!
  • LASpursLASpurs Member Posts: 13
    I absolutely hate DRL's, they look ridiculous on a car. The lights on Audi's and Mercedes are more for show, not like the continously lit headlights on other cars.

In CA there, thankfully, is no law regarding them (as far as I know), if a car had them I wouldn't buy it out of principle as I think they look absolutely zzhite!

I love my 2009 SV with Sport and Tech Maxima. The best car I have ever owned (and I have owned 3 Altimas, 2 Maxima's, 2 Muranos and 1 G35 Coupe as I used to work for Nissan Corp).
    Wow, never head any one express an opinion on the look of DRL's before, let alone one this strong. I don't get it. What is it that bothers you so much. Just the whole idea of having lights on during the day? It's not like the car itself actually looks any different other than having the lights on. Most objections that I've heard in the past have more to do with replacement cost after burnout.
    I'm with you on this one! Personally I like DRLs and I think Nissan and Infiniti would be smart to put some type of White LED DRLs on the front of the Max and the rest of their products which would go to complement the really cool RED LED tailight patterns they already have!!!

Just My Two Cents!!!
  • LASpursLASpurs Member Posts: 13
    Hahaha I just hate them. I don't mind the small white LEDS on the Mercs and Audis. Having your headlights on during the day looks absolutely crap though. Where are we living, Sweden??!

Many moons ago I almost bought a Volkswagen Passat, not knowing they had DRL's. I had pretty much worked out a deal to buy it when I found out about the continous lights. I cancelled it there and then. They offered to tinker with it so I could turn them off but that did me with the car.

I got the Infiniti G35 Coupe instead, I was glad I did :P

:):):)
  • swtnblkswtnblk Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    I purchased my Maxima about 2 weeks ago. While driving I hear a constant whistle sound that comes from either the window the sunroof or ? I took it to the dealer and they said it was wind turbulence WTH. I wouldnt think that a car like this would have so much exterior noise. Anyone have this problem? The other thing Ive found is the driver side seat vibrates alot while driving. Is that normal?

:mad: :confuse: :(
    OMG I thought I was the only person hearing this wind or some kind of whistle noise. I took it back to the dealer and they think its some kind of wind turbulence, what is that. I just posted the same thing if you find anything out please post.

:mad: :confuse:
    their is a TSB and recall on the driver seat rocking and moving so you need to have that taken in and fixed by your Nissan dealer!

I'm surprised you are having problems with wind noise! I haven't heard that much wind noise in the car, but what I have heard a ton of noise with is road noise with the tires,etc! I have been told that is the RS-As and that they are a really noisy tire and tirerack.com seems to support this with the reviews I've read! can't wait for them to wear out so I can get a better handling and quieter tire put on the car, maybe a Michelin!!
    Hi all, listen I was hoping someone can give me some information and opinions about what I should do! I have a 10 Maxima SV which is about 6 months old right now! When I first got the car, I noticed that the back part of the passenger front seat vibrated and shaked violently at times while driving and nobody was sitting in it! Usually it gets really bad on secondary road, especially ones with any kind of bumps, rough patches etc!

last October, right after I got it, I brought it into the dealership and service advisor told me their was a TSB for the passenger seat just like for the driver seat in both the 09 and 10 Max and that they had to order new parts and detach the seat and reattach it with the new parts to tighten and fix it so that it didn't shake anymore!

had the work done last October and it seemed to help a little bit, though I still noticed the shaking and vibrating still to a mild extent even after getting it back; now, after a few months, the seat is really beginning to shake and vibrate severely again, to the point that today when I was out for a Sunday drive, when ever I went over moderate to severe bumps on 2ndary road the seat has started to make a rattle/noise when it shakes!

I don't know what to do? I'm at a lost because its been in already and its beginning to be quite annoying and distraction because the seat aligns right up with my peripheral vision when I'm looking forward and trying to drive and this seat shaking is becoming a distraction when I drive! What do you all suggest that I do? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I've never ever had this with a car before, and I have a FX35 which has a tremendously rougher/harsher ride then the Maxima and those seats don't vibrate!
    I dont know what a TSB is. Also is there a TSB on the passenger seat? :confuse:
    a TSB is short for technical service bulletin; it's basically a small report put out by each manufacturer each month listing a couple of possible problems with their vehicles and suggested or recommended ways to repair them by the dealership!

the service advisor at my local Nissan dealership said their was a TSB for the driver and passenger front seats! my concern is, I've all ready had the repair work done to the seat and problem is getting worse and persisting so I don't know what else Nissan could do! this is pretty unacceptable for an almost 38k dollar vehicle!! I don't know what to do!
  • jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    I've discovered the 28" wiper blades for the nissan maxima are a little tough to find - especially the newer-style, frameless replacement wipers. I found the 'Trico Tech Beam Blades' online and they work pretty slick. They just came out in late 2009 and what's cool is they have a lower, slighty off-set attachment mounting that allows the wiper arms to sit slightly lower. They’re beefy as hell and look slick with the lower mounts. Wipe clean and quietly without chatter. Came with removal and replacement instructions - easy install. Picked them up online.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    Shopping the 2010 Maxima SV to replace a 2000 Olds Intrigue.
    Nissan now offers 60 month 0% and $500 bonus cash.
    I am in no hurry to purchase.
    Does anyone have a guess on what the incentives will be later in the year?
    I so agree this 38k car should not have all the problems that it has. I think the ride should be smooth as he**. First I thought I was seeing things when my purse was shaken in the passenger seat, then I had a taco bell bag in the seat and it shook also. Funny thing is that I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel to. So I called the dealship and they say that they havent heard anything about the vibration of the seat. Im taken it in on Thursday so well see. Im starting to wonder if the new Maxima is just a pretty car with a rough ride.

:( :mad: :confuse:
    I certainly wouldn't expect the incentives to be much better than that.
    edited March 2010
    to be honest with you, I don't know if you have the sport package or not, which if you do gives the car a rougher ride, but I have the base SV with tech and I actually like the ride quality of the car; I'm not having any vibrations in the pedals or steering wheel like you are and that maybe a sign you need your tires balance or an alignment!

listen to this, when I first got my Max, I has exactly what you do, shimmy/vibration in the wheel, pedals, etc - took it back after only having it two weeks and told the guys my problems and I said rebalance the tires and do a alignment - well they did, and guess what, all four tires came from the factory misbalanced and the alignment was moderately off from the factory as well! can you believe that :cry: if I hadn't gone back and complained I would have driven around with a 38k dollar car with unbalanced tires and a mis-alignment and when my tires started to have uneven wear at 10k, you know who Nissan would blame, ME!!!

Nissan's new and used car prep department is a joke; now from now on, whenever I get a new car I'm going to have to nag the service depart to check the balancing and alignment of the cars from the factory before I drive it off the lot! absolutely ridiculous!

I suggest you have them balance your tires and do a alignment when you take it in; that should get rid or the shimmy/vibrations in the pedals and steering wheel because it did on mine; the passenger seat shaking/vibrating is a whole separate problem and their is a TSB for it so make sure you tell them that! plus, the tech told me that the TSB is for the 2009 models but the 2010s have the exact same seat set-up so it will work for the 2010s as well

I still have to take my car back in and complain about the passenger seat! I hope they are going to be able to fix it because it looks ridiculous and they have already replaced the supposed defective parts of the seats so I don't know what they will do differently to rectify the problem!
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    edited March 2010
    Sorry you guys are having issues. Mine has been running great..no vibrations or seat shifting. If I keep my foot out of it, I'm getting 28-29 mpg on the open road and averaging 25.2 for all driving. The RSA Goodyears are not the greatest tire and I have had some of the RSA's on past cars that were actually out of round! Good advice by the previous poster to check balance and alignment. A seat of the pants shake usually denotes rear tires needing help. This vibaration issue is not an inherent problem with this model . I did not go with the sport model because of the 40 series side wall profile due to a possible rougher ride.
    The maxima is a lot of car but they missed the retail price point rather badly..(Nearly 40K for mine) Fortunately there are great deals and no one should pay anywhere close to sticker. I came out of a loaded 07 Accord and hated the cheapened up 2010 Accord so much that I came over to Nissan (Honda removed things like the LED Tail lights, Electro luminesent dash.. crappy leather quality and the final straw..the engine cylinder shut off feature (VCM) that makes the car vibrate and the fuel enconomy was not good as the 07 though the VCM was suppposed to offset this deficit). I have not had this much in the way of equipment that you could not get on the Honda at any price.. Granted... maybe and apple to an orange comparison till you run the leasing numbers and see the spread from the loaded 2010 Honda Accord to the Maxima was only forty bucks more monthly) The Honda however does set the standard for boring reliabilty. I hope the Maxima come close. Good luck.
    don't get me wrong, I don't want it to sound like I hate my car, because nothing could be further from the truth! except for a few MINOR issues I love the car, how it drives, and the gas mileage has been wonderful for the engine and torque under that hood!!! :shades: you would not believe how many people on and off the road look and stare at my car and give me the thumbs up from time to time!!! most of the issues were fixed when the dealership rebalanced and did a all wheel alignment! that was a simple solution

I just don't understand how a car can come to a factory like that and then not be checked either before it leaves the factory or given to the customer by the dealership for balance and alignment issues because those things can wreak havoc not only on your tires but other things with your car further down the line and you know Nissan and any other car manufacture for that matter will not take responsibility down the road if you don't catch it soon enough
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    edited March 2010
    You have a solid point on the dealer prep that should include a check of tires and alignment. I had a new 05 Accord that needed to be aligned . The steering wheel was not even centered!

I'm thinking down the road about my dealer..I hear they are charging 85 bucks for an oil change because of the Ester oil Nissan uses. After my first free oil change I have news for them, I won't pay that price and will opt for the regular dino 5 w 30 oil. (I researched the fact this this is ok for the waranty) What do the rest of you think? Down the road I'll go with the Mobil 1 full synthetic oil.
    edited March 2010
    I didn't even get a free first oil change from my [non-permissible content removed] Nissan dealership!! I never go to them to have the oil/filter, etc done! they don't even have a waiting room to sit down in if you have to have your car serviced their for whatever reason! all they have is a hard wooden bench outside the service advisory area that can maybe sit 3-4 people and soda vending machine! there are no loaner cars either! God help you if you have to have warranty or repair work done during the week! no way for you to get to work unless you have really nice friends or family that can help you out!

all they offer is a free shuttle service that only comes by every 2 hours! how freakin helpful is that :confuse:

I only went with my local Nissan dealer because I had a $1000 coupon from the owner of the dealerships that I could use on a lease or purchase of a new vehicle which I obviously wanted to take advantage of since I couldn't use it any where else! I would never get another Nissan here because of how lousy the sales and service departments are; there are much nicer Nissan dealerships 20-30 minutes away from where I live that I would go; I'd even thought of taking it to my Infiniti dealer where my FX35 gets serviced ;) hey Infiniti is Nissan so there shouldn't be a problem taking my Maxima there :P hey, the Maxima looks enough like an Infiniti, the Infiniti techs probably wouldn't know the difference ;)
  • afaberafaber Member Posts: 2
    Regarding servicing, my Infiniti dealer says they can do any servicing on the Maxima except for warranty work. I sold an I35 to get my Maxima, and really have liked the service experience at the Infiniti dealer. It's more expensive, but definitely more civilized.
    isn't that the truth; plus the new Maxima looks more like an Infiniti then it does a Nissan; it you took off the three Nissan badges and replaced them with Infiniti emblems most people wouldn't know the difference! ;)
  • jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    As a follow-up to my post above, I just got an email from wipers123.com and Trico has a $15 rebate on NeoForms and a $10 rebate on Techs through 5/15/10. They also sent me an additional $5 instant coupon "springreturningcustomer" (orders over $30) not sure when it expires... I'm not ready to replace them yet so take it if you want it!
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I know what you mean. Although my local Nissan dealer does have a very nice waiting room, I have really hesitated even thinking of getting back into a Nissan, because I didn't like the way I was treated when I took my 2002 Maxima in for service over the four years that I had it. They were just kind of rude, not very polite all the time.

Lexus really spoiled me on that front. This is a shame, because I like the 2010 Maxima.
    Infiniti is litterly the same way. I mean you do get a nicer dealership in regards to loaners, elegant waiting areas, slightly nicer service people, but in the end they are just as bad as Nissan with customer service. Its not so much the dealerships that bother me but more coporate. I mean there are times with both Infiniti and Nissan over the years when they don't even return my phone calls when I have a question or problem and when I do hear from them, they tell me to speak to my region rep who knows absolutely nothing about the products and refers me back to the dealership!

Its such a shame because they make such nice products but they charge an arm and leg for vehicles like the Maxima and Murano but don't want to give you the same level of service. Acura and Lexus treat you far better on the customer service front then Nissan/Infiniti!
  • maximaronmaximaron Member Posts: 8
    I saw a few posts about this topic (no conclusions) but the more I drive my now 4 month old vehicle, the more I realize that the noise levels are really unacceptable....especially given the overall refinement of the rest of the car. Sounds like the sunroof or front right "A" pillar noise. Any ideas or remedies?
    To be honest with you, I haven't heard too much wind noise with the car. I have heard an incredible amount of road noise, which most of agreed is the result of the crappy OEM RS-A tires! They just seem to howl on any road surface and any bumps are rough road and transferred and heard into the cabin which really ruins the incredible comfortable and balanced suspension the Maxima has.
    edited May 2010
    Hi all, I have a 2010 Max SV with the tech package and I've been having a issue with noise coming from the engine while the car is running and especially when its turned off/cooling off in the garage.

I hear a lot of knocking/pinging/clinging noises coming from below the engine area of the car while I'm driving, the car is idling at a stop, and especially when the car is first cooling off after the engine has been shut off! I mean the thing sounds like a popcorn machine with these knocking/pinging noises while the engine is running and especially when the car is shut off and cooling off in the garage!

I have never heard this noise before from any of my vehicles, except one or two in the past while they were turned off and cooling off in the garage but never to this loud and this much of an extent as this Max. This Maxima does it while the engine is running and you can noticeable hear it really sounds unrefined and cannot figure out why a car with only 8k miles would be doing this. None of my vehicles in the past make this noise while the engine is running, and in fact, I have 2005 FX35, which practically has the same identical 3.5L VQ V6 engine as this Maxima, just with a different HP/torque and it doesn't make any of these noises, not even when cooling off in the garage!

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong. It is definitely not the gas I use because I just usetop tier Shell Premium in my Maxima since day 1 and all my other current cars get the exact same gas from the same station and none of them make this noise. It is not the oil, Nissan gave me regular motor oil for my first free oil change at 3750 and I now have a full synthetic in their at the 7500 mile oil change and the noise was there with both kinds of oil. I've had this noise since about 1000k miles mark on the car so at first I thought it was just the break in from the car being new but at 8k miles on the odometer now, it has not gotten better and seems to be worse and I'm passed the break in period now!

I think I either have valve chatter, a bad spark plug, or a catalytic converter trouble that is making this noise.

I wanted to find out if anyone else had this problem and if so, if you found out what was causing it and how it was fixed, before I take it into Nissan and make a stink! I expect Nissan to play the "oh thats a normal sound game" with me but since my FX35 engine is virtually the same and doesn't make these pinging/knocking/clinging noises, I know that not to be true!
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    I know this reply is late but I have the same noises when I park in the garage only. My in law who's a mechanic said those sounds are normal. I also have an MDX and it pings when the engine is turned off.
    For anyone who's interest I bought a 7 year/100,000 miles extended warrant for $1735 on the internet. That was the best deal I could get from nissan warrantystore.com
  • hondafan12hondafan12 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with wind noise. I actually had the dealership replace the window because I said it was unacceptable. It actually got a little better but there is still a lot of noise. Don't get me wrong, I love my Maxima. But for $38k I could have gotten a much better made car. This car is way overpriced!!
  • hondafan12hondafan12 Member Posts: 5
    I've had my 2010 Maxima since December and have been into the shop about 10 times! I can't believe a car that costs $38k would have this many issues. Below are some that were because the car was poorly made and others because the dealership I bought it at has the worst service dept. in America!

First problem I noticed when I started driving it regularly on the freeway was that the steering wheel would vibrate a lot once I hit 65. I took it to the dealership and they said they did an alignment on it. Got it back and it was still doing it. Took it in again and they replaced the tires. Got it back and it was still doing it. Took it in again and they said something was wrong with the front right alignment and now it's fixed. And by George, it was!!

Second problem was the extreme wind noise coming from the front windshield. I mentioned this to the service dept. when my car was in for the vibrating tires and they told me that there was no leaks even though I heard a whistling sound. I didn't accept their answer and had them replace the windshield. The whistling is gone but there is still a lot of wind noise.

Third problem was the driver seat back would move back whenever I accelerated. Took it in and they said it was a known problem and they would fix it. Got it back and a few days later the horrible service dept. issues began to surface. I went to put up my window and the automatic up button didn't work. A day later I went to turn on my heated seat and that no longer worked. Then I noticed my power seat would not function properly. So I took it back in and they needed to order a part for the heated seat. Took it back in another time to get that fixed along with the window and power seat issue. All good until I went into my back seat and noticed that my seat back was falling off! I couldn't believe they gave the car back to me in that condition. So I took it back in to get it fixed and they said they would have to order a part for it. I looked at it when I left and it looked fixed but figured it would fall down again when I went over a bump.

Next issue I noticed in the meantime was that the car felt like I was stuck in a gear and it would be making a humming sound. I also noticed a knocking sound coming from the front of the car, sort of like a loose strut or shock. So I took it in last Saturday so they could check out those new issues and replace the seat back. They told me that the noise was from a wheel barring? that needed to be replaced and they would have to order it for me. Fine, I left the dealership and sure enough the next day I noticed my seat back was again falling off :mad: I almost lost it. How can something that looked like it was fixed but wasn't, then was supposed to really be fixed, now be broken?? How does the Service manager not look at a car before it's considered repaired?? I'm dropping off my car tonight to get the engine and noise issues fixed, then I am talking to Consumer Affairs about my issues. This has been the worst 6 months of owning a car EVER!!

If anyone has had similar issues please let me know. I will be writing a letter to Nissan about the quality of this car.

Oh, one last note. How can the trunk not be somewhat powered when you go to open it or shut it? I brought this up to the service dept. and they told me its the way it was designed?? Or, the mud flaps are a joke!!

If you couldn't tell, I'm a little distraught about my Maxima experience.....