Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Brand Problems Swept Under The Rug

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Rear visibility suffers too much.

Excellent observation. Not only that, I agree with all three of my fellow posters on this issue. The whole stink bug look of cars and slopped rear quarters of SUV/CUVs creates giant blind spots. One of the first things I check out when I sit in a new vehicle. I like mirrors and direct vision. Not to mention stealing cargo and passenger space. I think the Flex from Ford has the most practical body style on the market. As well as the Land Rover SUVs for the wealthy set. A diesel in either model would get my wallet open.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    For people who wondered why Toyota has better incentives right now than Honda, this could be part of the explanation. Toyota really seems to have slipped in quality. It's too bad.

There's a serious misconception here.

The reason that I have Toyota's now is that back in 1989 when I went to buy an Accord the dealership laughed at the thought of a discount and added an ADM. The Toyota store on the same lot with the same owner did offer a discount on a 1989 Camry and I drove off in it that same day.

For the last 10 yrs I can attest that Toyota has almost always been far far more agressive in incentives. At least public incentives. Honda last spring had higher ones but they were hidden as 'dealer cash' which may or may not have been disclosed to the public. Often these were $1000+ higher than the Toyota incentives on similar vehicles.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Plus Honda has historically offered lower financing rates or better lease terms instead of cash on the hood like Toyota. So to the casual eye, it appears Toyota is giving more away, but Honda is actually giving as much or more away in "hidden" money.

I've never owned a Honda (really just a matter of happenstance), but my Toyotas and one Nissan have been fine vehicles. It would take a lot of convincing for me to switch brands now.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I've never owned a Honda (really just a matter of happenstance), but my Toyotas and one Nissan have been fine vehicles. It would take a lot of convincing for me to switch brands now.

I believe this is a common scenario outside of forum world as well. But I also think if there are defections, companies like Hyundai, Subaru and Ford have a better chance of conquest buyers than before this incident.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    how did the sneaker get there? it could have started out on the driver's foot.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Who cares about the sneaker there was a chunk of thick residential style carpet down there.
    shag type carpeting is pretty forgiving. :) not sure where this is going.
  • tbell4tbell4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a problem where the horn will honk just once sometimes when I put the car in park or when I start the car. I had the same problem back in September, then one day went to leave for work and the battery was dead...totally dead but had no problems the night before. Purchased a new battery and it did the honk a couple of times then stopped. It started doing this again twice tonight then stopped. Any clues?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    shag type carpeting is pretty forgiving

:D

The sneaker was one among the many items in the footwell, the author seemed overwhelmed to even name all the things that were there.
    my mother has an 03 that was doing some strange things.
    the first thing i would check is the battery in your remote entry fob.
    other than being the cheapest thing to check, i did notice it has a pretty interactive influence on the car.
    by that i mean i could not lock the doors in the remote was in the car.
    her issue ended up being the ignition itself (where you insert the key).
    car ended up not starting, perfectly fine the day before.
    i know because it was me starting it.
    seems to me it was about $250.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try one of the Malibu specific boards, like Chevrolet Malibu Electrical/Lighting.
    Just wondering, I thought GM got past the whole piston slap problem in the last year or so? :confuse:

Reason I ask is my coworker fired up her late model Tahoe yesterday and I listened to her drive off and the thing had a nasty case of "Like a Knock".
    AFAIK yes no more piston slap.

There are other things that could cause the same noise especially at start up. When was the last time she had an oil change? Dirty cold oil at a low level could cause the same noise.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Depending on the tone of the knock there is a chance that her bearings are going south. Wouldn't that be nice. The latest CSK case that I've heard of came from an owner of a '09 Lexus RX350. Yeah, couldn't believe it either but noticed she was driving a loaner '09 ES350 with no mats.
    I would think that bearings would be a higher pitch. No this was definitely piston slap ( my buddy had it on his wifes Suburban) or worn out cylinder walls, I've heard it on other occasions before, it was a combination of a clatter combined with sounds like puffing air (phhft phhft phhft phhft) at lower RPM's and sorta smoothed out once she got going (30mph?)

I don't talk to her very often but her Tahoe is one of the new generation models.
    I wonder if this is what my '98 Frontier has (4-cyl). But it doesn't do it all the time; it's definitely most noticeable at idle.

I'd think piston slap wouldn't be intermittent. Also the engine doesn't seem to consume oil -- I never have to add any between changes.

But that noise is coming from something.
    I think we have a video camera here at work, I'll see if I can bug her to grab some tape of the sound. It does not sound like a smooth V8, more like a diesel.
    Mine doesn't sound like a diesel, more like a torn belt that makes a "frappa, frappa" sound that increases in frequency with engine rpm. But all 3 drive belts are in good condition.
    could be the fuel injectors.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    But all 3 drive belts are in good condition.

Timing belt? ;)
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Eek! I think I will have a look at the mats on my Mazda 3. So far, the only problem I have had with the pedals is that they are somewhat small and too close together. It doesn't bother me too much since I have small feet, but I can see how it would be a problem for a "big foot".
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    There are several fancy gizmos I could do without. At first I thought having automatic climate control was a great idea, but I hate how it works on my husband's car. I much prefer the old, simple style of just turning a few knobs and getting what you want.
    No, it has a timing chain and only 70K miles.
    Hmmm, but if so, would it be intermittent? Plus my gas mileage has not changed. We don' t have emission checks here in central VA.
    Yes, there are definite advantages to having the 3 simple knobs.
    some injectors can be noisy at startup. my explorer can be like that in cold weather for a few minutes.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Could be something related to the cylinder deactivation system? IIRC, four cylinders shut down and just pump air when it's in V4 mode. Although it may not be active on a cold start.
    i think you meant that question for delray.
    based on the winter mileage with the explorer, there is no cylinder deactivation happening. ;)
    One of Dub Schwartz's correspondents may be on to something for zapping any stray electrical impulses.

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yum. Ol' Dub must be dreaming of Hershey Kisses. :)

Bob
    And his hat matches his dashboard. :shades:
    What, no comment on Toyota's announcement that they will replace all those gas pedals?

You guys are slackin'. ;)

I'd have suggested a Sawz-all. :D
    I think they're all over in the "Toyota in decline" thread -- over 100 posts since I've been able to access the internet on Thanksgiving vacation!

I did catch the story on the radio last night.
    It has pretty well been hashed over in the demise of Toyota 2009 thread. :blush: It is out from under the rug now and Toyota has to fix it.
    Nice double entendre. :D
    tiger is hating onstar right about now?
    no sweeping under the rug.
    One of the police reports supposedly said that the Escalade air bags wouldn't trigger is the speed was under 33 mph. Seems a bit high, but what do I know.

The friendly scuttlebutt is that he was heading to Walmart to get some shopping done at an hour when he wouldn't be mobbed by fans, but clipped the hydrant that's right next to his driveway.

If the cops have the black box, we should know the rest of the story about as fast as we know what the Lexus black box out in San Diego says from the floor mat crash. Maybe he missed the brake and stepped on the gas pulling out. :D
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Then there are those Escalade floor mats....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    maybe the cadi has more power than a buick and it took him by surprise.
    could have a lot of fun with this, but i really hope he's ok.
    Actually I think it was a 12 pack of Nike golf balls that took Flite from under the driver's seat and wedged under the brake pedal when he tried to mashie it. Par for the course.
    I'm not going to challenge his wife to a golf match either. Apparently with the Escalade jammed against the tree and he apparently groggy against the wheel she used a one of his clubs from the garage to smash in the back window.

Nice swing, ma'am. :shades:

/discussion: sudden unintended acceleration
    :D

He was released from the hospital later the same day:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4693657
    Escalade cleared in Tiger wreck. Can't blame this one on GM. :sick:

Tiger's story
    Wait you are using TMZ the gossip blog as a source? I think I will wait till a real news agency says something or till the police release their report.
    Not what you would call a stellar source. Hope he is OK, still my favorite golfer of all time.
    Mine too..we agree on yet another point. :surprise:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    that Tiger was leaving to go shopping at a very early time (2:30AM) to avoid being spotted and mobbed. He was hurrying and clipped a fire hydrant on the way out of his property.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >that the Escalade

Why wasn't he driving a Buick?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

He doesn't have that endorsement deal anymore.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I hope it is not true but there is a report on "Drudge" that Tiger's injuries were caused by his wife and not the wreck. Supposedly she confronted him about rumors of an affair and then scratched his face, etc.

He was trying to get away from her in the truck but she broke out the window and caused him to hit the hydrant and tree, etc.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

This discussion has been closed.