Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    It's not a bad idea to think about a cargo net if you're going to have items in the back of the Wrangler. I read a news story some time ago of a man that was killed when he ran into another car and a 1/2 gallon cardboard milk carton came from the back seat and a corner of the carton hit him in the head. That said I'm guilty of groceries in the back but I always make sure I buy the more rounded plastic gallon milk containers. :-) I was also imagining a scuba tank being launched forward, yikes.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Did you guys hear about the guy who stopped for a six pack of beer, and, forgetting that his six month old boy was in the back seat, tossed the six pack right on top of the baby?

Baby wasn't hurt, though... it was "light beer."

:)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    THANK YOU!

May each of you get the recognition that you deserve on this day and EVERY day.

Tom

• kcir1kcir1 Member Posts: 4
    Guess I need to think over the 84 CJ a little more. I drive from GA down to southern FL every couple months so maybe I need something a little more reliable. But it keeps coming back, I want a Jeep. I've looked around and it's like you pay between $4000-4500 for something around 84-87 model then jump to $12,000 and beyond for anything newer than a 94. Maybe I'll have a look under the hood of that CJ7 and see how intimidating it appears, newer vehicles can be quite a fright when you pop the hood and see a mass of wires, relays, computer modules and such. I don't mind tinkering some weekends as long as I can get to work M-F. I do some woodworking and DIY around the house so have some familiarity with tools but not as a mechanic. Anyway thanks again.
    Richard
    Just do some more looking if you decide against the old CJ7. You are on the right track in thinking "Jeep" if you want a fun vehicle. It's just a matter of finding the right one in your price range.

The good thing about the newer Jeeps is that they are MUCH more reliable than the older ones, so, even though they may be a little more complicated to work on, they require a LOT less "working on."

Fuel injection, for example, was a HUGE improvement, since people had fits with carburetors very often.

The distributorless ignition, which I believe came along with the 2000 models, is a nice improvement that eliminates some sources of trouble.

You should try to get a 97 or newer Wrangler, a TJ. They have coil springs, and the improvement both on road and off road is amazing. They ride better on the highway and have a LOT more flex for offroading.

If you can live with the power of a four cylinder engine, about $7000 to $8000 should put you into a real nice SE from around the 1998 to 2000 model year.

Tom

• drperez007drperez007 Member Posts: 30
    Geez, Geepers. That milk story sounds like udder nonsense! Just kidding. I guess I'll be tying down the stuff in the back of my Jeep, as soon as I get it delivered. Hey, Jack-be-Nimble, where exactly is the "fog light relay" located under the hood in the new Wranglers? I saw a new Wrangler the other day with only parking lights and the fog lights on...but what you're telling me is that that can only be done with a slight "modification?"

Susan, CONGRATS! on the new toy.

And, as Tom so rightly noted, let's remember the Vets today (and everyday). In addition to the incredible personal sacrifice that each and every Vet made for this country, without them, there would have been no need for Jeeps.

Steve
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Actually, (on the 03's at least) you can run the foglights with just the parking lights on or in addition to the low beams. You still can't, however run the fogs w/the highbeams.

Stephen
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Hey, does anyone know how long (on average) it takes between ordering a wrangler and the time it arrives for pickup from a dealership? I have pretty well decided that I will order a rubi sometime in December... and in the meantime I am hoping to unload my t-bird while minimizing time spent car-less (I'd rather avoid becoming a meatsicle on a grocery run). Of course this assumes that the timing will work out all around (a big pipe dream), but one can hope!

Andrew
    Thanks for the fog light info, Stephen. I assume Jack-be-Nimble's "modification" to the fog light relay will give you the ability to run fog lights with high-beams?... By the way, has anyone replaced the H3 fog light bulb (std 55W) with a 100 watt version and, if so, with any problems? I'm concerned about the heat building up and frying the wiring (a problem I had on one of my Fords).

Andrew, since I was looking to order a Sport (now plan to take an "X" out of stock on a dealer trade), I was advised six to eight weeks, but you now have to build in the factory shutdown at Christmas (figure on two weeks downtime). So an order today, figure on delivery in mid-to-late January. As a sidebar, keep in mind that rebates apply ONLY at the time of delivery, not ordering. Current Jeep incentives are due to expire the first business day of January, 2004. However, given DC's current financial situation, and the substantial decrease in Wrangler sales from last year, I suspect that rebates will continue into the new year.

Have a great evening.

Steve
  • DaceMillerDaceMiller Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,
    I've been looking for a while and am close to pulling the trigger and getting a Wrangler - I might have to wait until next Spring though.

A couple of questions: How is the Rubicon for everyday driving? I'm leaning toward the Rubicon (vs. the Sport or Sahara) for the off-road capabilities, but certainly a lot of the day-to-day use would be around town, running errands, etc.

My other major decision is soft top vs. dual hard/soft top. I realize it is largely personal preference, but I would appreciate opinions.

Oh yeah, definitely manual transmission !!

Thanks.
    By ordering in December, you risk some factory downtime for the holidays, and it could lengthen your wait by a week or two. If orders are slow, they may take some additional downtime around the first of the year.

The shipping time is going to be a killer for you, since you are up in BC. It wouldn't surprise me if it took up to a month just for shipping.

I ordered my Thelma Jane on November 16, 2000, and I picked her up at the dealer on December 8, 2000! And, to beat it all, there was an unscheduled down week due to slow orders during the time I was waiting for Thelma Jane to be built. The very week that she was scheduled for build is the week they shut down, but even so, I got her in three weeks and two days after the order went in! ( Would have been two weeks and two days, if it hadn't been for that down week. )

That I didn't have to depend on rail shipment is one thing that was going for me. I am only about an eight hour drive from Toledo, and I think they just used transport trucks to get Thelma Jane to my dealer.

Tom

• geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Hey, don't overlook a YJ. I did the Edmunds price check on my '91 and it came up only $3-$5k. I think '91 was the first year for the 4.0 and fuel injection. My engine compartment is relatively simple and it's been a good vehicle.
    Thanks Steve. Interestingly enough, the dealer was offering whichever incentive was better (at time of order or at delivery). Soooo, either he's talking out his tailpipe or they're willing to make up the difference. Hmmm, I *wonder* which is more likely. ;-)

Dacemiller. If you're planning on off-roading at a moderate or more difficult level, I'd say go with the rubi. I am much in the same boat as it will be a daily driver as well as a recreational vehicle... I've decided on the rubi as I figure this way I get the best of both worlds with only minor hindrances. In regards to the top option. I am going to go with the dual, just gives you more versatility.

Andrew
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Can I refer you back to post #10713.
    Thanks. You must have posted as I was writing... Wow, that was fast for you. I suspect that you're right in it taking quite a bit longer to get up here. Once the order is in I imagine the wait will be most annoying!

BC?! Damn, those Liberals have invaded and taken Edmonton - I must have missed the news!! ;-)

Andrew
    Sorry about that! Since you are in ALBERTA, it may take a long time for your Jeep to be delivered. :)

Anyway, just go ahead and order NOW! Whatcha waitin' for???? :)

Tom

No worries Tom, I knew what you meant. I may just have to do that (ordering it sooner than later). I'll have to have a chat with the dealer and should have some news later on this week/early the next.

Andrew
    WELCOME!

Glad you found this board. Make yourself at home here.

As Mac suggested, go back to his post 10713. You also might want to check 10714. (I followed up his comments with some of my own.) I think maybe some others of us also responded to ratpatrol's question about a Rubicon.

I don't see a Rubicon as being any more impractical as a daily driver than any other Wrangler version would be. It's just that you may be paying for features that you won't use, depending on what you will be doing with the Jeep. I think this was well covered in the post that Mac referred you to and in the follow up posts.

Stick around with us!

Tom

• mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    If your willing to do a bit of searching, $4k to $5k will buy you a mid-90's YJ with around 100k miles on it. I recently bought a '95 YJ with 96k miles as a trail rig. I paid $4,250 with a bad tranny. I've located a source for rebuilt trannies for $800. So, for $5,050 I've got a "good-to-go" Jeep that is reliable enough to take cross country and looks very good for its age and mileage. You can ask "tsjay" about that, he's seen it as we wheel together from time to time.

If you can spend upwards of $7,500, you can get a '97 or '98 TJ. Since you are needing one as a daily driver and most likely it will already have a few miles on it, go for the 4.0L as it has a tremendous track record for going well beyond the 150k mile mark.

And BTW: While I am confident in my shadetree mechanic abilities, I'm amazed at how simple and uncomplicated everything is on these Jeeps.
    Jim has a SUPER nice YJ! I can't believe how nice it is. It looks like a new one, and once he gets that tranny replaced, that Jeep won't need a thing, except to be driven (and wheeled, of course!).

Tom

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Ooops, my mistake. I guess I could run the foglights with just parking lights on. But now, I can run them with high beams as well.

Anyway, here's the condensed instructions from Twylie's original post:

On 2001 and up TJ's with factory fogs, pop the power distribution center cover next to the airbox. Find the fog lamp relay (#35 in my 2001), pull it out and check the bottom of the relay. You'll find one of the pins is marked "1". You want to bend this pin on the relay out of the way, so it doesn't make contact in the PDC. I found the pin and bent it on the surface of my workbench. First step is to bend it 90 degrees flush to the bottom face of the realy. Once you've done that, bend the pin around the body of the relay, so it's wrapped up the side a short distance. Pop the relay back in and try it out.

Works like a champ for me, but always excercise caution when doing mods like this, I have yet to run the lights for a long time to make sure there are no ill side effects (I don't expect any).
    Jack-be-Nimble, thanks for the fog light "mod," I can see clearly now!

Steve
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    Hello stephen,
        I am not quite sure if you will remember me, but I use to own a wrx wagon and I believe we had a few wrx conversations a few years ago. Well, sure enough about two weeks ago I ended up getting a jeep. I have always wanted one and finally treated myself. Pretty funny though that two x-wrx wagoneers have switched to jeeps. -scott
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    (but do be glad that while there are 29 complaints against 2003 Wranglers, there are 102 complaints against 2003 4Runners)

Make: JEEP
    Model: WRANGLER
    Year: 2003
    Complaint Number: 10041471
    Summary:
    ACCORDING TO INTERNAL SALES BROCHURES AND ADVERTISEMENTS THE 2003 JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE MOST CAPABLE OFF ROAD JEEP EVER. MY JEEP HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS, WHICH CONSISTS OF 2 BROKEN AXLES, FAULTY BRAKES, FAULTY PARKING BRAKE, FAULTY U-JOINT CLIPS, FAULTY WHEEL BEARING. AFTER PAYING THE DEALER TO REPLACE PARTS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN COVERED UNDER WARRANTY, THEN REALIZING THAT THEY FAILED TO REPLACE ANOTHER FAILED PART, CALLED TO ASK ABOUT A WORKAROUND UNTIL THE NEEDED PART CAME IN. THE ADVICE GIVEN WAS TO REMOVE THE BROKEN AXLE SHAFT AND DRIVE WITHOUT IT. THIS CAUSED BRAKE AND WHEEL BEARING FAILURE. AN ATTEMPT TO GET THE DEALER TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE REPAIR COST TOOK SOME TIME TO GET RESOLVED. FINALLY, THEY FIXED THE PROBLEMS AND VOIDED THE MANUFACTURE'S WARRANTY. REASON FOR VOIDING THE WARRANTY WAS MISUSE/ABUSE BECAUSE THE VEHICLE HAD BEEN USED OFF-ROAD AND HAD MUD ON THE UNDER CARRIAGE. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE BECAUSE YOU CANNOT MARKET A VEHICLE AS OFF-ROAD AND THEN VOID THE WARRANTY IF IT IS USED IN THIS MANNER. THE VEHICLE WAS NEVER SUBMERGED, OR IN MUD/WATER DEEPER THEN THE HEIGHT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE FRONT BUMPER. FURTHERMORE, JEEP CLAIMS I AM A MEMBER OF A 4WD CLUB THAT I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH AND CLAIMS A WITNESS SAW THE VEHICLE UNDER WATER. BOTH NOT TRUE. ASKING FOR HELP FROM THE DOT TO MAKE JEEP STAND BY IT'S WARRANTY, OR HAVE THEM NOT MARKET THE VEHICLE AS OFF-ROAD SINCE IF USING IT OFF ROAD VOIDS THE WARRANTY THEN THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISING. *LA
  • leafchildleafchild Member Posts: 24
    I'm not an anybody around here, but just my $0.02 regarding tops.

I had the dual top option on my Sahara, and I just sold my hard top on e-bay last week, after it occupied my spare bedroom for the past 6 months. (I don't have a garage to store it.)

I love having the top down as long as it is not raining, but I do live in southern California. With the soft top, I can put the top up in minutes. I don't know what I'd do if I got caught in the rain away from home 'topless' with the hard top only. But if you live in a snowy climate, I think you would probably want a hard top, be it dual or alone.

BTW, it cost me $1675 for the dual top option, sold the hard top for $1100. Probably not too bad of a price to pay to find out which option is good for me.

FWIW :)
    after buying your Jeep?
    Factory quality hard tops are MUCH more expensive, if you don't get them as part of the dual top option to begin with.

If you think you are going to want a hard top, then get the hard top only option or the dual top option. This way you will be set up for rear window defroster and rear window washer/wiper.

I assume that for that $1675, Yoko, you got the dark tinted windows and the defroster and rear wiper/washer, right? All of that would cost well over $2000 after purchase of the Jeep.

If you don't get the hard top from the factory to begin with, but you later decide that you want one, then the way to get one would be to buy one used from someone who wants to sell theirs, like Yoko did. You might then have to have some wiring and "plumbing" installed for the defroster and the wiper/washer, though.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, YOKO??? We missed ya! Glad to finally hear from you again.

Tom

If the guy who posted that complaint was being honest, then it's a shame that he got a bad Jeep. I guarantee you that for ANY type of vehicle ever made, it wouldn't take too long to find a horror story from some owner.

I have known enough Jeepers, and have spent enough time on various message boards to feel confident in saying that the reliability of Wranglers is GOOD. There are lemons in any make of vehicle, though, and the guy whose message you posted must have gotten one.

I would not be afraid for anyone to compare the percentage of negative posts in this message board concerning the Wranglers to the percentage of the same for any other message board.

Tom

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    I would not be surprised if there were more to this story than what is represented in the complaint. Having said that, he does have a point about a vehicle being marketed as an off-road vehicle, and then actually using it offroad voids the warranty. I've wondered the same thing myself. I suspect that the clause is an escape for the manufacturer in case of EXTREME off-road usage, which would be near impossible to engineer for bulletproof-ness, especially in a vehicle that must be road worthy, comfortable, etc as well.
    Not to mention that aside from making a bulletproof off-roader, there is even more to be said about the driver... No matter the vehicle, the driver can do something less than brilliant to damage their rig. Curious as to how they broke the axles... spinning tires hitting dry pavement perhaps? As with most things, there are two sides of the story and truth is likely lost in the middle. I agree with Tom in that there are horror stories for pretty well any vehicle out there if you look hard enough, and that a lemon can happen (unfortunately) to anyone.

Andrew
    Tom said "I would not be afraid for anyone to compare the percentage of negative posts in this message board concerning the Wranglers to the percentage of the same for any other message board."..................

.............and I say, if you look back to see those negative posts you'll find a large proportion of them are from you, bcmalibu99ls............ and none of them are from your personal experience.

You once posted that you like to make negative comments because you can't afford a Rubicon and it made you feel better about not having one. I'm guessing that you've still got some saving to do!

Jeeps are not perfect and they have problems just like any other make. However, these problems can be exacerbated by a poor dealer. As important as getting a good price when you buy your Jeep, is to get a dealer with good customer service practices. Usually, the smaller dealers (who will often have an affiliation with a local Jeep off road club), will have a vested interest in keeping their customers happy.
    Good points have been made about how ANY vehicle can be destroyed by abuse. I don't care how strong and axle might be, spinning the tires at redline RPM and then catching traction will explode any of them.

Anything can be broken, no matter how strongly it's made! I believe even battle tanks have their limits, right?

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    ponm - I can see a correlation between Wranglers and WRXs. I have a Wrangler and have been thinking of replacing the Taco with a WRX. Both are FUN vehicles, a label that will never be put on a Tacoma! Do you still have your WRX?

Yoko - sounds like you did quite well resolving the top issue. I hope you don't live around the area that got all that hail and flooding last night!

I still would rather have a Wrangler than a Toyota...
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    "a large proportion of them are from you, bcmalibu99ls............ and none of them are from your personal experience." I noticed that as well.
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    Just thought I would jump in here with a 44000 mile update on my '01 Sport. Problems to date: 1 blown front shock, replaced under warranty,I even told the dealer it happened while off roading. And my check engine light came on once after I fueled up with some discount gas at a sleazy truck stop. I am extremely happy with my jeep,and have considered buying a new Rubicon, but this one is almost paid for, and I think I'll just keep building and enjoying the '01 I've got! Tjray
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    Funny story, I went from a 2000 tacoma 4x4 to a wrx wagon and the wrx was a blast. I had the car set up for auto-X and for my first season I did fairly well. Sad to say, the wrx is no longer around after going back to a truck(2000 chevy silverado that gave me nothing but transmission problems) and now I am with my wrangler. Truly, I miss my tacoma, it was always very reliable and it got me through a lot of heavy stuff. Actually, I once pulled a full size truck out of a ditch with my tacoma. Although I do miss my wrx too. I tried giving the wrx to my wife but she thought the car was to ugly and stayed with her Jetta, yes, thats right, her jetta. Hey, I can't complain, I have my suzuki sv650 bike and a wrangler. Life is good.
    I am buying a KIA!!!

Chill out, people :-) You may be pleased to find out that I am yet to see Wrangler on a "least reliable" list anywhere. So, yes, it's a not bad vehicle overall. See, I praised it without ever driving it. Give me a candy. Thank you.

That being said, I think by giving DC a free pass when they make crap, you are setting yourself up for disappointment later on, when you will buy new Jeeps. 4Runner owners are suing left and right over relatively minor 4Runner defects and are very vocal about it. Maybe that's why Toyota is a perennial leader in quality, while DC is not even close?

I will buy a Jeep eventually, and I hope it will be a quality product in part because DC customers complained when they received a lemon. Thank you for your understanding!
    Hey, we don't give DC free passes: we just don't have much to complain about. If I got a lemon Jeep, I would scream bloody murder as loud as anyone. It's just that there aren't many people that I know who have problems with their Jeeps, and when they do, it's usually not very serious stuff and can be easily corrected.

Who was it here that had an SE with a bad tranny? DC finally bought back the Jeep, and he got a Sport. I don't think he had to sue DC or anything... they just did the right thing by him.

Just searched, and it was Guy21 who had the tranny problem. His dealer went to bat for him and got him a buy back from DC. Guy now has an X model (not a Sport as I said above) that I believe he is very happy with.

Tom

Don't know how many of you are Nascar fans or how many of you keep up with the Busch Series, but our local team (their shop is eight miles from my house) is in second place, only 22 points out of the lead, with one race to go.

The Timberwolf car, number 37, driven by David Green, is the car I'm talking about. The final race is Saturday at 12 noon eastern time on NBC.

The race is at the Homestead track near Miami, and Green qualified 12th today.

This is truly a local team, with the team owner, Clarence Brewer Jr., being a Central City, Kentucky native. That's where their shop is, and that is only eight miles from Greenville, where I live. The driver, David Green, is from Owensboro, Ky, which is only 40 miles away. I bought Thelma Jane in Owensboro, by the way.

I am really pumped up over this! That team goes up against teams with a LOT more financial resources every week, and they still have been at or near the top in the standings all season.

I am very proud of them, no matter how things go Saturday.

CONGRATS TO THE TIMBERWOLF TEAM! GO # 37 !

Tom

I apologize for badmouthing the Wrangler. Please forgive me
    You weren't badmouthing the Wrangler. You posted about one incident. I feel for the guy who had this problem, but only if he is telling the truth about not abusing the Jeep.

BC, just getcha one! You WILL NOT REGRET IT!

These puppies are more fun than you can imagine, and their reliability is at least "average." I have heard of VERY few people having serious problems with the newer Jeeps, the "TJ's."

Why do you think Jeeps command such loyalty from their owners? BECAUSE THEY ARE FUN AND THEY ARE RELIABLE!

I LOVE MY JEEP!

Tom

That being said, I think by giving DC a free pass when they make crap, you are setting yourself up for disappointment later on......................."

Where on earth do you get that from??? I haven't made any posts of that nature, nor have I seen any by other posters here. I'll be happy to discuss any real problems you have with your Jeep (when you get one), but when you make negative posts like the one sided complaint in #10870 it does a disservice to anyone researching this board for information on a future purchase.

I hope you notice that whenever you do this it usually invokes several posts in contradiction to yours. If you've got a problem with DC in general or Jeep in particular, be open about it and we can discuss it. Otherwise, expect to be called on it when you post this stuff.
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Sorry Tom, got to root my home town favorite #7 Greg Biffle from Vancouver, Washington. Go #7!!!

Besides, my sister would kill me if I didn't since she used to work on his cars before he made it to the spotlight.

-Pete
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    If that race is Saturday at noon, are we still on for some wheelin' this Saturday?

I got my backseat tonight and it went in without a hitch. It is the exact match to my front seats. Now I just need to drop the coins to get that new tranny and put on that 3" suspension lift in the spring and I'll be set for almost anything TB can throw at me. While I'm at it, I need to add a set of 33x12.50 wheels and tires. And maybe that Superior Super35 rear axle and locker....and a set of door mirrors....and Rhino Line the interior....

Dang. This Jeep habit is just as expensive as my motorcycle habit used to be.
    Man, I was seriously considering skipping a Saturday of wheelin' in order to watch that race (hope all of you are sitting down!), but let's go. I can tape the race. I think I jinx the team when I watch the races live anyway.

Tom

You are excused, but you other buds with no particular ties to a team, help me root for the Timberwolf car.

Tom

I'll help ya root for Biffle to win the race Saturday, and you help me to root for Green to finish far enough ahead of the other contenders to win the championship!

Tom

How easy is it to remove the passenger seat from a TJ?

Also, there's an option of placing a lockable storage box instead of having rear seats. How big is that box? What is it made of?

Thank you!
    Never tried to remove a front seat. Back seat comes out real easy.

I think you would want to make your own lockable storage compartment for the cargo area. The "add a trunk" thing is too small to be of any real value, and it's made to be used with the back seat in, I think (guess that's why it's so small).

Maybe someone else here knows of a commercial product for the cargo area that would provide lockable storage???

Tom

Seat removal? You asked once before and the answer is still the same ................. see post #9286 paragraph two.

Tuffy make a good range of storage boxes specifically for Wranglers, some steel some aluminum. Check out: http://www.tuffyproducts.com/trunk/trunk.html