Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Battery Problems

Comments

• dlu812dlu812 Member Posts: 1
    I had the DVD system replaced in my Tahoe a few years ago because the system would stop playing on and off. They replaced the unit and the next day the battery was dead. They replace the unit again and it seemed okay even thought the DVD system still isn't great.
    About couple of months ago I went on a trip and my son left a dvd in the system. The next day the battery was dead. I think that maybe Chevy is using a bad grade of Media Systems and somehow the wiring is faulty causing issue with the electric system on these vehicles.
  • mozartxximozartxxi Member Posts: 7
    Dear Christina:
    As of today I haven't hear back from you either in the forum or thru my personal email.
    Please advise. My 2007 Tahoe is outside my garage with a dead battery and my wife so mad because she had to drive it in the past few days and needed to jump started it 5 times this past week alone.
    Waiting for your response.
  • asignetasignet Member Posts: 3
    Mozartxxi. I have a similar problem, #115. I also have not heard back from GM. Let me know if you hear back from GM Cust Service. I am eager to know if they can help.If Gm knows how to fix this pervasive problem, it should do so. If it doesn't know how to fix it, then that would be a sensational news story. Regards, asignet
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    buygm,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Please keep me updated on your progress at your dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jfjordanjfjordan Member Posts: 2
    Dear GM Customer service,
    Does GM have any clue yet on what is causing the problem with the tahoe?
    If they do know can you share it with all of us OR at least share it with the dealers so they can remedy the situation. I am waiting for any flicker of recognition that there is a recurring issue.
    I am just wondering if it is a "numbers" problem. Are there not enough of us talking abou the same issue? I have been dealing with this issue on my own and by taking it to the dealer and being inonvenienced and spending money to have the battery replaced and on and on. AND my car sits dead in my driveway waiting for at least some recogntion of the esistence of an issue and theat you are working on it. NOT the battery...I have already replaced that and the problem continues.
    I just happened upon this site when I was trying to figure out the answer on my own since I don't get any recognition from GM that a problem exists. Ans your apologizing and telling people to "keep in touch" is actually insulting.
    Do you represent GM or should we be dealing with someone who isn't just paying lip service to our very real problem.
    Please put all of us in touch with someone who can actually tell us that GM recognizes the problem and they have a solution for it.
    PS. My 1995 Suburban with close on 300,000 is a charm
  • wessywessy Member Posts: 8
    Just had my 07 Tahoe in for the 50,000 mile service. I told them to make sure they check everything related to the battery drain issue. They tested the battery and charging system. The battery was bad (was replaced under warranty 2 years ago at 33,000 miles) and they recommended replacing but the charging system was working correctly and they did not register any abnormal current draw. They said my truck did not need the reprogram because it does not have rear heated seats and there was no other update for it. I did not replace the battery yet and won't put in another Delco. Will probably put in either a Kirkland from CC or an Interstate.

Wessy
  • kmftxkmftx Member Posts: 1
    Has there been any solutions found to this problem...I drive an 07 Tahoe that started having this same problem about 3 months ago...I have a new battery and the dealer could not find anything wrong with it?? Please help!
    Not yet. I can tell you that Christina set me up with GM Customer service and today I had to pull my 2007 Tahoe into GM dealer since I couldn't start it even by jump starting my recently purchased new battery. They did not get back to me today so I will find out until tomorrow if they came to any conclusion what's going on.
  • asignetasignet Member Posts: 3
    No solutions to my knowledge. If GM knows what the problem is, they are not talking, not even to the dealerships. The dealerships are trying very hard to solve the problem. In my opinion, GM won't do anything (useful for owners) about this unless and until they are forced to, such as due to a forced recall, adverse publicity or a class action lawsuit. Several weeks ago Christina referred me to Customer Service, too, but I have not heard from them yet.

If anyone gets any news on this issue, please share it with us all.

Regards
  • kitty05kitty05 Member Posts: 1
    I PURCHASED MY CAR NEW AND SINCE THE FIRST WEEK HAVING IT MY BATTERY HAS DIED. I HAVE CHANGED THE BATTERY 3 TIMES AS WELL AS THE BATTERY CABLE. THE CAR WENT FOR A YEAR AND 2 MONTHS AND NOW THE PROBLEM IS CONTINUING. THE DEALERS DO NOT SEEM TO FIX THE ISSUE THE PROBLEM IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE BATTERY. I HAVE NOW CALLED AN ATTORNEY THAT SAYS I HAVE A CASE SINCE I HAVE DATES TIME AND DOCUMENTATION OF EVERYTHING. THE GM CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OF NO HELP AT ALL THEY TOO GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND. THE DEALER ALSO WANTS 125 DOLLAR FEE TO DO A DIAGNOSTIC OF THE CAR. GM NEEDS TO PAY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE AND MONEY THEY HAVE CAUSED PEOPLE. ITS UNFORTUNATE I LIKE MY CAR OTHER WISE BUT THIS IS VERY UNRELIABLE. ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IS ACTUALLY CAUSING THE BATTERY TO DRAIN.
    Just to keep everybody aware, as I stated on message #139, I took my 2007 Chevy Tahoe to the dealer and after reviewing three days later I was told it was redy for pickup. GM Customer service told me that they had found the problem to be wrong wiring in the DVD's installed by the dealer (as purchased new) such that DVDs were draining power always. I told them that couldn't be because I disconnect them myself (I am an Electrical Engineer) so I am sure that's not the issue. They assure me they were sure problem is now fixed and informed us that we needed to pay $200 dlls for the labor. After long discussion I paid the $200 dlls to give it a try and they brought my car to the front and when I tried to start the ignition....YEEESSS! It did not start and made the familiar sound of a drained battery right in front of their eyes!! They were speachless after they failed to start it and apologize so I had to leave my car in the GM dealer again. That was last friday as as of today no news so far...I will update status as soon I know something...
  • matmulcahymatmulcahy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban and have occasional discharge of my battery. I have had to have it jump about 3 times now Mechanic told me there a notice of some sort and that it requires my computer to be reprogramed Cost $85 they will work on it tomorrow. I will update then
    mozartxxi,
    I apologize that your vehicle is still experiencing this concern. I am happy that the dealer could see it happen. Please keep me updated as to your progress. If you need anything feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • smorton1smorton1 Member Posts: 7
    I've read a lot of other people's problems with Tahoes not starting so I figured I'd list mine. At 18,000 miles It went completely dead it lasted about 2 months and went dead again. The dealer replaced the battery lasted until about 27,000 and went dead again. I took it back to the dealer just before 36,000 miles and they reset the computer installed another battery but it still was getting drained. At about 45,000 miles they finally said they thought a output module was staying on but finding it will be impossible, more less washing their hands of the problem. Now it's got about 52,000 and went dead again today. I really like the vehicle and have always owned GM. I have a GMC truck with 198,000 miles that is more reliable than the Tahoe. Unfourtenly, I must say I'm probably going to replace it with a Ford. I would like to add my Tahoe is a LT with no DVD player I know a lot of you have mentioned this as being the problem, but I'm afraid it's something else. I will be contacting GM about the problem but will probably be ignored. Please let me know if anyone finds out the cause. :
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Christina,

I know that you pretty much deal with individual customer situations. However, given all of these mysterious battery going bad situations as reported in the forums, I'd suggest you notifiy the engineering dept that they should perhaps read this forum full of problems, and look for a real fix to what appears to be a systemic problem affecting a number of vehicles.

If the forum is any indication, I'm sure if they looked at the warranty claims against this vehicle they'd find quite a number of situations that could be investigated and a root cause analysis performed.
  • pvuepvue Member Posts: 2
    In case you didn't realize...Christina is probably a dude with a comb-over and getting paid minimum wage being told by GM to just reply with a polite tone. You look at all the times "Christina" has replied to fellow junk owners...nothing has happened. At least in measurable results. Ladies and Gentlemen, we need to find a new way to harrass GM about this money pit of a problem of ours. :mad:
    Christina:
    My car still at the dealer. After paying $200 labor for rewiring the DVDs, now they claim the problem is a drained battery and that I need to pay for it since my car has 28K miles but 4 year warranty has expired. I am sure the battery is not the problem. I got a phone call from someone at GM Customer Service and they told me they are going to talk to Ron Baker Chevrolet in Chula Vista,CA about it after I gave them all the details (since I first bought the car and 5 dead batteries later with low millage). Tomorrow is going to be 3 weeks since they have my car. This is costing me time, money and headaches. I am seriously considering visiting a lawyer to get some advising in this case. I believe more Tahoe owners need to be aware this is happening. Very disappointed.
    I'm contacting GM today. I will probably get blown off then I'm going to the newspapers and hopefully news channel. I want this out in the public. First I spent $35,000 for the vehicle then we all had to bale out the company. At least they can do is stand behind their (our) product.
    asignet,
    You haven't heard from GM Customer Assistance? Please email me so I can look into this.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    matmulcahy,
    How did things go at the dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • richard7564richard7564 Member Posts: 8
    Cormier Chevrolet could not find or fix the problem. This cost me 3 days of car rental plus their diagnosis labor charge. I took my Suburban to a local auto repair shop and within 1 day they determined that I had a defective battery, even though it was only 3 weeks old. I switched to a different brand of battery and the problem was fixed !!! My original battery was a Bosch which was only 1 year old when the problem started. I replaced this battery with the exact same Bosch brand and model. That's when the new one only held for 3 weeks... I switched to Delta, no more problems. I'll never buy another Bosch battery!
  • jsmall423jsmall423 Member Posts: 3
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f21a128/15#MSG15 I couldn't retype everything but there my link in another forum. Surely GM can figure out what's up with all the 07 for them to be the only ones having the problem
    GM Customers,
    I understand your frustrations with your situations. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations. The only way I can do this is with your assistance. First, I need your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. If you are unsure or uncomfortable please feel free to inquire with the host, or send me an email with your telephone number and I can give you a call. Second, the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it be with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owners manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. If you would like me to assist you, please feel free to email me the information requested above. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    They (Detroit Excutive Service) gave me a whole $500 coupon towards a new GM vehicle. Why would I want to buy a another one when they don't stand behind what they sell? I'm gonna have to try another brand.
    I agree 100%. My next SUV will not be GM. Just bought my wife a 2011 Nissan Murano instead of GM.
  • russ53russ53 Member Posts: 3
    Kitty,
    Maybe your lawyer wants to start a class action suit agaist GM for this issue.
    There seems to be a lot of people with the same issue.
    Christina:
    I did follow up your instructions and GM Customer service representative contacted me, I sent my car to the dealer and today has been 4 weeks since I last saw my car (still at the dealer since your GM customer service got involved and everything slow down because everytime somebody different calls with no clue of the case to start all over again, the last one is someone called Sharonda with an attitude problem raising her voice over the phone while talking to my wife -not acceptable-) and now she doesn't return our calls.
    The conclusion at the dealer is that the problem of my Tahoe is a bad battery and I need to pay for a new one (again) since my 4 year warranty expired. All this means your technical service has no clue of what the hell is happening. At the beggining I though it was an isolated problem but after reading so many complaints I am convinced this is something GM knows about and haven't really initiated a recall (it remind me of Toyota accelerator problem where they knew of it long before).
    I am very disappointed with all this situation (car problem, GM customer service response). It been a hardship for us and I am planning to return the car as a lemon so you deal with the financial institution...
    smorton1,
    If you could please email me and update me on your situation I would appreciate it!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tazz600tazz600 Member Posts: 1
    here is the technical bulletins from GM:

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-08-44-018

Date: September 25, 2009

Subject: No Crank/No Start, Discharged Battery, No Audio Output From Radio (Replace Amplifier)

Models:
    2008-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe (Equipped with LTZ Uplevel Package)
    2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL (Equipped with SLT Uplevel Package)
    Equipped with Luxury Edition Package (RPO Y91) or Premium Speaker System (RPO UQS) and Built Prior to September 29, 2008

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle will not crank or start and the battery goes dead. They may also comment on a loss of audio from the radio.

Cause

This condition may be due to an internal short within the amplifier that causes the amplifier to stay awake, resulting in a battery draw/load. This draw/load on the battery could discharge the battery to the point where the battery will not have sufficient amperage to start the vehicle.

Correction

Check for normal sleep mode draw of less than 30 mA. If greater than 30 mA, remove the 30A amplifier fuse from the underhood electrical center/junction block. If the draw drops more than 10 mA, the draw is likely from the amplifier. Inspect the amplifier for a green dot (a green dot indicates vehicle already has the updated amplifier). If no green dot is present and draw is confirmed with fuse pull, replace the amplifier.

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-08-50-017B

Date: February 11, 2010

Subject: No Crank, No Start, Discharged or Low Battery (Reprogram Rear Heated Seat Module)

Models:
    2006-2010 Cadillac DTS
    Built Prior to February 2, 2010
    2007-2010 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV
    2007-2010 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2007-2010 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
    Built Prior to November 30, 2009
    All Equipped with Rear Heated Seat RPO KA6

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to add build breakpoint dates. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-50-017A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment about a no crank/no start condition or a discharged or low battery.

Note
    This condition may be intermittent, therefore it is important to check if a revised calibration has been released on TIS2WEB for this concern, even if the condition cannot be duplicated at the dealer.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the rear heated seat module (RHSM) discharging the battery by keeping the serial data bus active, which creates a cumulative continuous draw of four amps on the battery after the vehicle is shut down, until the state of charge reaches three volts.

Correction

Important
    DO NOT replace the RHSM or the battery for this concern.

Reprogram the RHSM with the latest software calibration.

Important
    Select the correct calibration files for the appropriate vehicle configuration (body style) and RPO codes.

A revised calibration has been developed to address this condition. Technicians are to reprogram the RHSM using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Service Programming System (SPS) procedures in SI.

When using a Tech 2(R) or a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics(R) PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.
  • tsccsttsccst Member Posts: 2
    bought a used 2007 tahoe last spring loved it had a few flaws door handle rear wiper rear defogger still loved it small problems got a good deal.until 3 months ago dead battery issue started changed battery helped some then the alternator had it to the dealer they changed the bcm put updates in the computer checked everything i paid the 490.00 bill got it back and tonight i took it back to the dealer for the same problem i just want it fixed!!!! i can not believe that gm does not know what is wrong with the tahoe and cant help the dealer fix it some how the figured out that the heated windshield washer was burning down the car and houses they are parked in this will be the last trip to the dealer for pity the next guy that gets this car.i have been a loyal gm owner all my life but if you cant fix what you sell i will have to see if the others can
    I like you have been a loyal GM customer. They defentily have a problem with the 07 Tahoes. I couldn't get them to fix mine, all they would do is put new batteries in and reset the computer. I traded it with 52,000 miles, I hated to get rid of it because everything else worked great we just couldn't depend on it. I did get GM to give me a voucher towards a new product which we now have a new Tahoe. This is their last chance if I have problems with this one I won't be getting another GM product. It seems to me they should own up and recall them and fix them right. They told me that I was the first to call about the problem. Maybe everyone should call the GM headquarters in Detroit I listed their number but my message got pulled.
    I took insurance off my Tahoe for a month and a half and drove my daughter's car just to save on gas. I put stabil in the gas and pulled the keys out like one service advisor told me to do. I needed to drive it the other day so put insurance back on and went in to start it. I was shocked it started (slow cranking so battery was low but not dead). All these bulletins they have out saying the drain issue is with the rear heated seats and the DVD are bogus. My truck has neither. The issue in my opinion has to be with the switch or keys or something. If I leave the keys in the ignition for more that two days without starting it the battery is dead. The last time I had my truck in for the 50,000 mile service they said my battery was bad and needed replacing but I did not replace it. Try pulling out the keys every time you park it and see if that helps.

Wessy
    tsccst,
    Has the dealer involved Technical Assistance? I apologize for your frustrations. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina,

Gm will not do the right thing and make this issue a recall. My friend has a Nissan that had a recall on a sensor that made the gas gauge read incorrectly. They gave him a donar car and fixed the problem. My gauge wasn't reading correctly either, but that I could live with. This problem of the batt. going dead was too much. I couldn't get any satisfaction from my dealer or GM. I don't own the vehicle anymore. It aggrevates me to no end that a company that I have defended to so many others has let me and many others down. Your company deserves to go bankrupt. No more BAILOUTS and the way you're going you're going to need another.
  • tsccsttsccst Member Posts: 2
    yes my dealer jerry hagg motors in hillsboro has fixed my tahoe at first i thought that they where guessing and was mad that they put a bcm on it and did not fix it dont think i still should have to pay for that but. the second trip to the shop it was fixed i have had no more problems total bill was around 800.00 they did not need any parts the second time just glad it is fixed love my tahoe glad i did not have too get rid of it !!!!!!!!!
    smorton1,
    Thank you for your feedback. It is your opinion and you are entitled to it; however, as all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of our customer’s situations. The only way I can do this is with the customer’s assistance. My first step is to gather their contact information (including a good number to reach them), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what they are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. The next step in the process is the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know their customers are experiencing issues, they must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when customers are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it is with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if GM is contacted directly. Any customer that would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owner manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. Any customer that would like me to assist them, please feel free to email me the information requested above.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • north360north360 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I found this thread while looking for battery problems with the Yukon. We have a GMC 2007 Yukon that was bought new at the dealer in late 2007. From day one, it had electrical problems: the battery would suddenly be dead, the computer would lose its setting (probably due to intermittent loss of voltage) even if the battery was not dead that time and electrical accessories would stop to work intermittently. We ended up driving around with a power pack in the cargo area so that I could boost our new vehicle when it would not crank.

Eventually, after several trips to the dealer, they replaced the fuse fox (under warranty); they said it was "fused". The problems stopped though we did have some concerns in retrospect that such a situation might have created an overheating and possibly a vehicle fire in the garage.

Jump forward a few years of essentially problem-free operation. Then, earlier this year we did the recall that involves removing the heated windshield washer module. While this is a very useful option, we definitely wanted the module removed, as per the GM recall, because the GM recall notice states that "it is possible for the heated washer module to ignite and a fire may occur". Again the fire hazard.

When I started the vehicle at the dealer's place immediately after they had done the recall service, I noticed that the engine hour display on the dashboard showed 0.0. I had not taken note of what exactly it had read before but I know for a fact that it had been a meaningful number. I pointed this out to the tech. He went to the shop area, came back and said "the battery must have gone dead while they removed the heater". I pointed out that this did not make sense because the battery had gone dead many times before (and many times after, as I was about to find out) without resetting the counter. Anyway, I was informed that nothing could be done because this is the way it is now. I was upset at this, and still am, but the vehicle was serviced and running (and presumable so without this risk of electrical fire).

However, since that day we have again ongoing (though not daily) problems with the battery losing its charge overnight or in 2-3 days.

One time after the battery had gone dead again, the shifting points were all weird. The engine ran at high rpm and did not shift up. The indicated fuel consumption was very high, not surprisingly so. I called GM Customer Service from the vehicle and after a long chat with a friendly and knowledgeable tech, we came to the conclusion that the vehicle was not at immediate risk of damage if driven at low speed for a short distance. I had to continue my drive to work and did so at low speed, and in fact the shifting problem disappeared by itself. This scenario has happened twice, which is certainly not every time that the battery has gone dead. Because many functions are controlled by the computer, I would not be surprised if the high rpm and failure to upshift were also a result of the dead battery.

During that phone call to GM Customer Service, I also mentioned that the hour meter had shown 0.0 after the heated windshield washer recall service had been carried out and that I had been told that this was "because the battery must have gone dead". While not commenting directly on that statement, the tech did mention that the recall procedure called for the service tech to reprogram the actual hours if required. Obviously, this had not been done. Why do the they tell me that "the battery must have gone dead" when they know better? Or perhaps they did not know better!

Anyway, that brings me to the current status of the vehicle. The battery still goes dead overnight or in 2-3 days.

I was looking at replacing the battery and will do so if needed, but I don't want to replace the battery if the problem is with the vehicle.

That is when I discovered this thread with GM Bulletin No.: 09-08-50-017B with the clear GM instructions "Important: DO NOT replace the RHSM or the battery for this concern". The solution according to the GM bulletin is to "Reprogram the RHSM (Rear Heated Seat Module) with the latest software calibration". I certainly will NOT rush out to buy a new battery.

It's Sunday night and tomorrow morning I will call GM Customer Service and perhaps the dealer about this. I am somewhat reluctant to do the latter considering the fact that the problem started to happen after they did the recall service where I was told that "the battery must have gone dead" and where the actual engine hours were not reprogrammed (and perhaps not even recorded).

It's ironic that, as I am writing this, I have received the monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic by e-mail. That message informs me that no technical issues have been found with our vehicle (all green). Looking at the time stamp, it is clear that these data have been collected while our vehicle sat idling in the driveway to partially recharge the battery after having been boosted with the power pack because of a totally dead battery. I know, I should not let let it idle, instead I should drive around (with the power pack in the vehicle for sure), but I do not have the time nor the inclination to do so.

I still drive around with a power pack in the cargo area and I have had to use it on many occasions. In fact, we have replaced the original power pack with a new one with higher capacity. When we want to use the vehicle, I usually get ready 10 minutes earlier to allow for the boosting, if needed. My wife is reluctant to use the vehicle because she does not want to have to go through the "boost with power pack routine". Should we be concerned again about the possibility of an electrical fire?

It's a great vehicle when it runs, but this is not what we expected when we bought a new vehicle that is maintained regularly at a GM dealership. We wish they would fix these electrical/computer problems once and for all.
  • rirrgangrirrgang Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a 2007 Tahoe with issues.
    Randomly the car will shut off while driving. All electrical functions dead. Wait a few minutes the car will start again.
    I replaced the battery and made sure the "Super fuse" on the firewall have tight connections.
    So far the dealer has replaced the ECM, BCM, the main fuse block and the ignition switch. Each time the car comes back from the dealer is operates fine for about 1 week and then starts to act up again. The last episode found the clock reset after the car sat idle, (not running), for a few hours. this has happened twice since the last service when they, (Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose) replace the fuse block and ignition switch. My Daughter sure could use some help on this one.
    Thanks
  • cachelotcachelot Member Posts: 4
    We purchased a 2006 Tahoe LT in Jan. 2010.  Since then, on numerous occasions the vehicle just won't start.  This happened several times in the winter months.  The vehicle at this point would at least start with a jump.  In the past 6 months, when the vehicle dies, it won't even start with a jump.  We've had to have it towed 3 times.  Each time the towing co. checked the battery and starter and said both were fine.  This first occurred May 27, 2011.  I had driven 18 miles to pick up my son from school and the vehicle just would not start, even with a jump.  We had it towed.  Our mechanic agreed after checking that it wasn't the starter, battery or ignition but it "appeared" no fuel was getting to the engine.   It was determined it was the fuel pump.   After spending over $900.00 to replace the fuel pump, sensor and filter, we were stranded again for over 5 hrs. on  Sunday, June 26, 2011 and we were over 200 miles from our home.  On this occasion, after 2 tow trucks attempted to jump it and were unsuccessful, we finally found someone who told us to disconnect the battery, let it sit for a few minutes, then reconnect the battery.  Once we did that, we were able to jump start it and everything was back to normal.  The vehicle ran fine again until Friday, Sept. 1, 2011 where it once again was completely dead after having driven to my son's school to pick him up.  We had it towed again!  And, again, the battery, starter and ignition checked out fine.  They replaced the fuel pump again, saying it could have just been a faulty one put in the first time.  Then on Thurs., Sept. 15, 2011, it does it again!  It's like there's a kill switch or something on the engine so that the vehicle just won't start no matter what.  Our mechanic is so frustrated he doesn't know what to do.  This last time, Sept. 15, 2011,  they let it just sit over night then jumped it the next day.  It took the jump immediately and so they had us come get it saying they couldn't replicate the problem.   Their head mechanic said he could continue to work on it but it would be very costly because they can't find anything from Chevrolet acknowledging this problem or a supposed fix for it.  We are so frustrated.  I want to just trade it in and get a regular car (one that I can count on to at least start every day) but my husband likes the Tahoe because we take a lot of trips home every year (approx. 200 miles) and it's a large vehicle with a comfortable ride.  That's all well and good and I do agree about liking the vehicle with its comforts, capacity and all the bells and whistles,  but if I'm going to be stranded every other month in a vehicle we paid almost 20k for (fully loaded) then I'm willing to give all those extras up for a vehicle I can depend on.  We need some answers and help here from Chevrolet.
    Contacted GM Customer Care at their 800 number. Now a proud owner of my own case #. Summary of the conversation: no known issues; they have never heard about battery/start issues on the 2006/2007 Tahoe's; unaware that GM has any customer care rep's on this site and stated GM does not monitor this site. (She stated they only monitor their own gm.com site. She also said she would look into it after our call after I gave her the screen names of the GM Cust Care rep's on this site). Because we purchased our vehicle in a private party sale, no help, assistance or aid to be offered. She did offer to set up an appt. for me at my local GM SALES/service office. After our first (and last) foray into owning a GM vehicle, I guess it's back to Toyota for us.
  • stacygoss21stacygoss21 Member Posts: 3
    I am at my wits end here. I purchased a 2008 Chevy Suburban about 6 months ago. Up until about 10 days ago, it ran like a champ. The last week in a half, however, it will not start. I go out in the morning, and the lights, radio, etc. all work, but the car just will not start. Once it is hooked up to jumper cables, it starts right away. However, when I get to my destination, I cannot turn it off, or it will be dead again. It has the backup camera, navigation screen, DVD players, heated seats, etc. Obviously something is draining the battery, but would the lights and such still work if so?

One thing I also wonder about is the remote start. We just started using it about 2 weeks ago for the first time. Now all of the sudden, my car won't start.

Has anybody ran across a problem like this with their car? I am at my wits end..I am a traveling photographer, and have gotten stranded at a handful of shoots because of this.

Any help is appreciated greatly!
    Update on this issue. Battery was replaced. 4th fuel pump replaced and vehicle has been starting daily without issue. It's been 3 days since I got the vehicle back. Holding my breath.

However, for those of you with similar issues that the engine won't turn over and it appears no fuel is getting to the engine, and BEFORE paying your mechanic to replace your fuel pump or anything similar, go to youtube and check out this video that was recently sent to me. Just type in "Stories from the Road, GM Passlock Issue from Hell" I believe this may be the issue with many of these GM/Chevy vehicles.
  • 540isport540isport Member Posts: 3
    First a question, if the engine wont turn over then you are saying the starter wont engage and even spin the engine electrically. Why are you changing fuel pumps? How would the engine start if the starter wont even spin it first. A simple fuel pump ressure test can tell whether it is working or not.

Anyway, my 96 Tahoe is doing something very similar. It does not have onstar, does have a code alarm security but it is pretty basic. If the battery is even a little weak, you can turn the key hear the solenoid click but the starter wont spin. With a jump it will and the engine will start. With a new battery it will start (hope it continues.) The alternator tests perfect, AAA can't detect any meaningful battery draw when car is off. Yet old (6 mos old) battery still seems to weaken a little and then be incapable of starting car in just a few days. HMMM. Haven't figured it out, but I suspect there maybe some low level battery draw when car is off and If it is not going to be run for a week or two AAA advised to disconnect neg battery wire. But, batteries that test with still a decent charge may not start it. Original starter/solenoid still in it. Battery wires, connectors, posts clean. Startign to suspect the original 15 yr old starter is getting finnicky and takes alot of voltage to get it to initiate. A recent ECM readout showed no faults. Well, if my new replacement battery (convinced retailer it was battery problem as AAA also thought)starts being incapable of starting it, I will probably go ahead and replace starter and starter solenoid. Don't know what else to think at this time and that is not a big repair. A do it your selfer.
  • chevytahoechevytahoe Member Posts: 2
    Any luck getting this fixed? My 07 tahoe started doing the same thing.
  • chevytahoechevytahoe Member Posts: 2
    Have you found a solution to this problem? Has your vehicle been fixed? I just started having the same issue on my 07 Tahoe
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Chevytahoe,

Please email me the last 8 digits of your VIN and I can check to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle.

Thanks!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
    I don't know that it is fixed...i don't use it as I did because I don't want to risk it. However, my dealer did "turn off" a lot I codes that MAY have been the problem. This vehicle has had a TON of issues.
  • natdancalnatdancal Member Posts: 1
    thanks for any help.....i have automatic seats for number one driver and the second driver my question is they are going hay wwire when you shut off the car the seat goes all the way to the back position and the motor uder the seat keeps running and it will not keep the memorray stored from one driver to the next...has any one run into this problem and how do you fiix it thanks for any help...
  • gotdirtformegotdirtforme Member Posts: 1
    I went thru 3 battery's in 1 1/2 yrs. tested all the fuses to see where the drain was coming from. found some wires under drivers seat that had gotten drug into the track and chewed up the outer casing. so we loosely ties up those so it could not happen again. but after months another dead battery. I had 3 battery shops looking into it. and another 4 mechanics trying to help. but it came down to a girl at auto zone who figured it all out!!! she told me to replace the bolts of the battery. they are made of pot metal and guys get all macho tightening them down and they can strip. I told her come to think of it there were several times that my cables were loose! and because it is a side mount battery they can vibrate themselves loose! have not had a problem since!!!!
  • jcarey23jcarey23 Member Posts: 1
    Bought new 09 Suburban if you have radio or lights on without running engine for a few minutes....IT WON'T START!!!
    Used to Own 07 Tahoe new from showroom If you have radio or lights on without running engine for a few minutes....IT WOULDN'T START!!!
    Same with 04 Tahoe Chevy saying they have never heard of this problem shows they are liars!!!! This is a design fault that they dont want to admit and pay for.
    My Wife and 5 kids just got stuck in the middle of nowhere again!! Last GM (Government Motors) vehicle for us!