Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Battery Problems

raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
I have a 2007 Suburban LTZ. One of the main reasons I purchased this vehicle was to tailgate. However, every time I leave the radio on and the doors open, even with the dome lights off, the battery drains to a point of needing a jump.

The battery tests out fine.

The local dealer says that the iPod would drain it and that the LTZ's have a lot of "modules" that stay on when the key is in the ignition. They say there is nothing they can do to help.

I think that is crazy! or incredibly poor design!

Anyone else have insight?

Comments

• kokomotahoekokomotahoe Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Tahoe has drained the battery twice when sitting with the engine off, key in accessory position and the DVD playing. The first time was after 30-40 minutes. Today it happened at a drive in restaurant after no more than 15 minutes. The tow truck driver told me he had the exact same call the day before. Is anyone experiencing this problem?
  • greggbostongreggboston Member Posts: 39
    Hi,

We have a '07 Suburban and have had the battery drain twice and had to jump start it. I was trying to decide if we had a marginal battery or what. One time the kids were watching a DVD in the driveway, another time I was parked on the side of the road with the flashers on. Next time I'm in the dealer I'll have them check the battery. Are you going to have it checked out? We have the Nav-radio set-up, not sure if that means anything...

Regards,
    Gregg
    Boston, Mass
  • starultrastarultra Member Posts: 15
    Hi Gregg, I sure hope you call GM open case number with them and then call B.B. Do not let your dealership know what your doing I have a friend that works for another dealership who is a service writer.
    He said once they know your going to lemon the suv out that they will change the invoice on the repair order. I'm trying to Lemon this Tahoe out, I have not tried used my dvd since this my battery went dead a few months ago.

Its ashame because every weekend I going snowboarding and my kids want to watch a movie, but afraid that my battery will go dead there is no Chevrolet dealership there to fix my Tahoe. :lemon:
  • valvestudvalvestud Member Posts: 35
    2007 Denali XL with the same issue. I was hooking up a radar dectector, had the stereo running and vehicle would not start. Thought it was an anomily until last weekend when I had stereo on for maybe an hour and vehicle would not start. Have you looked at how tiny the battery is in these vehicles? I will see if I can upgrade to something with more amp hour rating.
    :lemon: My dealership did up grade my battery, but still when I spend over 58K on suv I expect nothing to go wrong with it. Boy was I wrong. I hope that you call G.M place a complaint about it.
    If everyone just [non-permissible content removed] about and doesn't do anything, then your just as bad as they are. I hope you dont have anymore problem with your denali.
  • kokomotahoekokomotahoe Member Posts: 2
    12/20/06 update:
    I took the Tahoe to the dealer today and they told me it's an ECM issue and they reprogramed. It makes sense because the ECM is suppose to monitor current draw and shut the electrical system down if it's draining the battery. The ECM also had a recall and they took care of that. I also had them check on the brakes since they squeak terribly and they said they cleaned the rotor and pads.
    Hey kokomotahoe, I think that great if that is the problem. After you telling me about the ECM, I call my dealership @ first they said there was no recall, but later said there was a recall on my Tahoe. Thank you for that.
    I will say if your battery goes dead again I would report it to GM and B.B keep me updated

Shan
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    Recall# 06162 for ECM reprogramming - 2007
    According to another message board, this recall is for "a flex-fuel sensor upgrade for the ECM"

???
    Thank you for the update.

Shan
  • ltzinltzin Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone else had a problem with the battery not holding a charge? I drove to the store today and came out and the battery was dead. & no I have not left anything on. This is the second time this has happend. I don't think I should have to charge my battery in fifty thou. truck :mad:
  • indecizoindecizo Member Posts: 1
    I had a dead battery overnight. It appears it may be due to an aftermarket dvd/overhead display as it explains at alldata.com

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-Motors/1161241200000_1163145600000_06-06-03-0- 09/603009.html
  • ltzinltzin Member Posts: 15
    This still would not explain the problem with a factory vehicle with no aftermarket parts installed.
    Did you call GM open case number with them and then call B.B.this is the first thing you have to do. Dont wait to long to do it.

Shan
  • socaltahoesocaltahoe Member Posts: 8
    My 07 Tahoe is at the dealership right now and they are scratching their heads. They are fixing the Recall 06162 ECM item however. For anyone who has experienced this issue, does fixing this recall item resolve the problem? Please follow up with your experience after resolving this issue. If not, for those who have upgraded to a larger battery, does this solve the problem?
  • hotmamaluhotmamalu Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem...they don't know what to do. Have you had any problems with your audio or your wipers coming on without turning them on? My truck goes back to the shop this week...
    I have only had the tahoe for a few days -- so nothing yet on the wiper problems. Will post a reply once I know more about the battery issue and what they're willing to do.
    Update on the Battery Issue:

Two dealers gave me the run-around and failed to admit there was a problem with the battery on the 07. One dealer even did a load test on my battery, even though I was 40 points below the published threshold, they still declined to change out the battery.

The third dealer I went to leveled with me - apparently there IS some sort of a major battery issue going on with the Tahoe and they do not have replacements readily available. This dealer was kind enough to provide me with a 7/60 AC Delco battery after they confirmed I had a few dead cells with my current battery.

After arriving home, I left the navigation system turned on with the car off -- the car turned over without a problem. It's a miracle!
    In my Internet travels looking for undeniable ways to prove to GM that they have a major problem with the batteries in their Tahoe, I came across this gem. Enjoy.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/626
  • bk777bk777 Member Posts: 32
    IMHO, DELCO - which is the GM affiliate that mnfrs. batteries for the TAHOE is the likely culprit.

The design and manufacturing flaws that I have seen and experienced in my Tahoe batteries are numerous. Quality is not JOB-1 at Delco.

No battery should be designed with sidewall terminals. It's just common sense - liquid leaks out of the cracks and poor seals at the sidewall terminal locations. There are a disproportionately large number of leaks and other problems from these Delco side terminal battery.

This is why all other automotive batteries are designed with terminals on top of the battery.

Why does it take GM so long to fix a problem?
  • spotboykospotboyko Member Posts: 6
    My 07 Tahoe has had it's battery completely drained overnight parked in the garage with nothing plugged in, nothing left on, and no key in. Twice. No aftermarket add-ons. No Nav system. No DVD player.

Both times it was towed to the dealership who did a complete electrical system check, with nothing found to be wrong. Including the battery (After the first time they replaced the battery upon my insistence). Two batteries in two months on a three month old vehicle.

Each time this occurred, I received an Email from GM Onstar telling me that my vehicle is A-OK literally the day before the dead battery. It's the Onstar feature that sends you updates on your vehicle. Could the communications that occurs up to the satellite be leaving something "on" that drains it overnight, I must wonder?

The Hoe is in GM Goodwrench's hands and I mentioned this to them. They've very interested in this observation, claiming they've seen this in several others with no explanation, and they are keeping my vehicle a couple days to test out that theory. I'll let you know how that goes. In the mean time, has anyone else been experiencing this?
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Chevy has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) There is a software upgrade for the BCM (Body Control Module) that prevents battery rundown caused by the BCM staying awake and allowing the Navigation DVD, and other modules to run continuously. I believe that the TSB number is 06162. If your dealer failed to check for this TBS, you probably should look for a different dealer. Check WWW.MYGMLINK.COM https://www.mygmlink.com enter your VIN number, click on maintenance, then recalls, you will see a list of all TSB’s related to your truck. Good Luck,.... George
    Thanks George. I did as you say. No TSBs are listed.

Got the vehicle home today. Mr Goodwrench says they can't schedule an add-hock vehicle system check from On-Star so we have to wait until the day before our next auto-scheduled On-Star check will occur. The dealership is gonna take the vehicle in the day before our next checkup to put it on monitors and see if the check up is what causes the sickness. They talked with the On-Star folks who admit this crazy theory is actually possible. Will update in a month, and let you know the TSB number this creates...
  • ltpetieltpetie Member Posts: 3
    We've had three battery replacements and ECM and BCM software upgrades and we just had to use our Mini to jumpstart our Tahoe. Diagnostics come out with flying colors, but the dealers still don't know why the battery keeps dying. I have figured out that the battery dies after not having been started or driven for a day (or after long trips). To me, it is obvious that something is draing it slowly. This has to be the most unreliable vehicle we have ever owned. Too bad we can't drive on the looks.
    Spotboyko, have you thought of lemoning this Tahoe? I would think about it. What year is your Tahoe? :lemon:
    It is a 2007, three months since purchase. Yes, Lemmoning is in the back of our minds if they don't figure it out next month, when it's next scheduled to die, on the 20th. If there was a constant drain on the battery, you would think that Mr. Goodwrench could detect that with their electrical system check. And ours dies overnight in the garage after being driven the day(s) before that, so it's draining in a period of 14 hours or less, but so far, only on the 20th of the month. At least I know what day to make alternate plans. BTW, if I thought it was just the crappy Delco battery as some others have pointed out, I'd replace it with a non-GM [gel] battery and problem would be solved.
    Yes, Lemmoning is in the back of our minds
    Make sure you document EVERYTHING relating to this problem. Write it down, everything, in case they try to fight you. Check your state laws to find out exactly what proof is needed. You can't be too careful on t his matter.
  • deadbattahoedeadbattahoe Member Posts: 1
    Battery died and I called roadside assistance. Tahoe was sitting in my drive way and I had left nothing on. Roadside assistance said let it run for 30 minutes after it is jumpstarted. Sorry to say, I lost it.. and said NO, tow it to the dealer. I want to know why the battery died.. it's called 'root cause analysis'. The dealer called and said there was a TSB on battery run down and did not know why I had not been notified. He said they'd charge the battery overnight and call me tomorrow. I am going to demand a new battery and insist that I speak with GM rep about this problem. Will update you when I know more.. FYI.. no aftermarket add-ons, but has factory NAV, DVD and other all electriconic gadgets on board.
    See if you can get the TSB number. I've had my dealer check ,and they keep saying there are no TSB's that apply. I also checked online about a month ago and found nothing, so if this is a real new / recent TSB, I'll need to scream at them again.
    It's actually not a TSB, but a recall. The number is 07007. There is also antoher one, but I don't remember the number. The recall only applies to certain VIN ranges. If it's not showing up on the GM Link page, call the dealer and verify. My dealer knew exactly what it was when I called to have mine done.

Joe
  • cyeagercyeager Member Posts: 1
    I have 06 chevy van 4500 miles with similar problem of batt not holding a charge. It has been starting fine since I personally replaced the ac delco batt with an old autocraft I had stored in my garage. I haven't had any problems since.
    Starts fine no matter how long it sits. I went thru the hole bit at 1200 miles when van would not start after sitting for a couple few days.Dealer had all day an said can't find problem. Says has state of the art equipment. I say do you have anybody knows how to use? Cause won't start. I had fully charged batt before taking to dealer and stopped at batteries plus on the way. I had him do free load test and said was no good then dropped off at dealer. What a hassle. After dealer said everythings fine I stopped at batt plus again and told him I need to check again , thinking might not have been fully charged first stop. he told me same thing that it should not be dropping so fast on load test and batt no good. So was total waste of precious time cause 2 days later she would not start again.It was such a hassle I decided to put this old battery in and did not have any trouble after about a months time. So i call dealer and told i want new batt and after a bunch of crap got a replacement of same kind ac delco and after several months had same problem again.Must be a bad lot of batteries from ac delco cause after i put that old spare 60$ battery in no troubles. My wife has no trouble with her ac delco and hers is 01 model. Called roadside assistance one time when would't start and he said to me you can throw all these delcos in the trash. Guess he's seen alot of bad ones. After thinking about it system draws can be very hard to diagnose. One cheap and easy way to tell if draw or batt is to make sure is fully charged and disconnect cable and leave sit if no juice when connect and try start it is batt. If starts must have been something drawing current. Or just try new battery. I am glad in my case that was problem . I hope thats all thats wrong with yours. service is terrible now days.Very few good techs.
  • johnny4016johnny4016 Member Posts: 112
    My Battery would die after sitting for a day. I would charge it up and drive around to different places stopping and starting the Tahoe with no problems. But if I let it sit over night the battery would be dead in the morning. I got tired of this and just bought a new battery at Wal-Mart.

I haven't had any problems with the battery since I put it in. I hope that the problem was just the old battery couldn't hold a charge. It was only about 3 years old.

It's been a couple of months now since I put the new battery in and I haven't had any problems with starting.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    A battery won't "hold" a charge basically for one of three reasons: (a) it is old or defective (b) the alternator isn't able to provide adquate recharging or (c) there is some drain on the battery. With a little luck, your problem was (a). :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • shadetree88shadetree88 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Silverado LTZ and and went to start my truck Sunday morning and the battery was completely dead. I jump started it and everything seamed fine, but I made an appointment with the dealer to check it out due to the fact nothing was left on or added to the truck. I did notice some variance in my volt meter since the battery went dead. The dealer did a draw test after the 20 min system shut down time and had a 5 milamp draw which is like none at all. the did a load test on the battery and check the charging system and everything checked ok. Needless to say I started searching the NET and found this information in EDMONDs. Guess what my battery was dead Sunday morning and Onstar ran a system check Saturday. This make four incidents since the middle of August. I have called Onstar to see if they have any knowledge of the problem and needless to say the first tech person I talked with knew nothing and could only tell me to get in my truck and push the ONstar button and have them run another Diagnostic on it. Tried unsuccessfully to tell this person the dealer had already done that and all she could say was if I didn't do it she would put a note in my file the I refused. ( Like I wanted her to make my battery go dead again). I finally got her to give my a more technical person who put me on hold to see if Onstar had any information on this problem. They had no previous records on this issue. I am trying to get with the service manger at the dealership to see if they can get any information on this problem or run a test with Onstar. I think someone had a mad employee who planted a bug in the computer programs.
    An Update on my original post. Remember my problem doesn't appear to be the battery (it's been replaced), I don't have a NAV system or ANY add-ons, has nothing to do with the Hoe sitting for a few days without being used, but does seem to correlate to the day after Onstar runs monthly diagnostics on it. This month we felt sure our dealership was going to catch it. Instead, they didn't call us to let us know we needed to bring it in, which would have been fine if our "prediction" as to what day of the month it was going to die (because it did so the previous few months on that same day) had happened. But it didn't, so we're waiting another month. here's my theory as to why we didn't catch it this month...

On the previous few months, we woke up early in the AM on the 21st with a message from Onstar about the diagnostics. My suspicion is that they ran the test 12 to 14 hours before the email went out to us with results. At that time, those months, the Hoe was sitting in my garage not used. If "something" was left on, it had maybe 14 to 16 hours to run down before we tried to start it and found it completely dead. This month, however, we got the email from Onstar about 12 hours early: in the afternoon on the 20th. Well, because of that timing, I had the Hoe at work and a couple hours after we got the email (maybe 3 hours) I had to start the vehicle in order to drive home. If something was left on, it didn't have that 14 to 16 hours to remain on without the alternator charging it back up, or even more likely, for the starting of the engine to reset whatever was left on. So the problem didn't show up this month.

Which gets me thinking about all those who don't see this problem: could it be that the timing of when the test is run as it compares to how long the vehicle sits after the test before being started. Surely Onstar has to stagger their tests. Maybe our first few months were plagued with problems due to timing of the test and how long it sat idle afterwards? Maybe we won't see it again until the natural cycle of timing comes back around to them running the tests after I get home from work for the night? Certainly if they ran the test during a several day long period of vehicle inactivity, this would fit the mold too.

And more importantly, can't I (and possibly you) avoid this all together if I cancel Onstar? I mean, if they aren't running checks in the middle of the night, it doesn't seem like I have the problem. After all, if I need an email to tell me when it's time to change my oil, well, maybe I should be driving a Mercedes.
    have called Onstar to see if they have any knowledge of the problem and needless to say the first tech person I talked with knew nothing and could only tell me to get in my truck and push the ONstar button and have them run another Diagnostic on it
    These postings regarding On-Star potentially causing battery run-down, certainly are interesting.....having just replaced my Sub with a new one that has On-Star. I was beginning to like the On-Star concept.

I have not had my first monthly diagnostic and email, so I will be on the lookout and will track when these things occur. I've also put a set of jumper cables in the back, just in case.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this potential problem.
    I am going to run a test the weekend by having Onstar run a diagnostic test manually this weekend. I have talked to the dealership and if this does not work they will try to do a test with Onstar running the diagnostic with their automated system. The automated system program for the diagnostic is probably different from the manually activated system. Please note that if the diagnostic is run while you are driving or on a day you are using the vehicle you probably won't have a problem. This is the first time they have run the diagnostic on a weekend and I hadn't driven my truck after the diagnostic. (Please note this is just a Theory at this point) On the other hand I do have Onstar and the dealer engaged.
    I ran 2 test this weekend. Friday afternoon I had Onstar run their diagnostic manually with the truck running and left it parked over night and the next morning I checked the battery and it was at 12.6 volt(perfect). So Saturday afternoon I again had Onstar run their diagnostic manually with the key in the on position and the engine not running. Sunday morning everything was OK. Talked with a onstar Tech Friday and it was a lost cause, he knew basic trouble-shoot and the basics for Onstar and tried to tell me the command for the manual test was the same as the automated test. The man was clueless and had no knowledge of current GM systems. Told me there was no way they could run and automated test and that I would have to wait for the date it was set to run. Waste of time!
    Called GM customer service and asked for a tech person and was told I could not be given straight to tech so I had to give this person that couldn't speak english all the information I had gathered only to be told he couldn't help and would have to transfer me to a tech. The Tech got on the line and told me he was sorry to hear my truck was cutting out on me. (The fist guy also couldn't understand english) This person was very helpful and concerned, check history for other onstar problem and found nothing! Told him about the test I was going to run and he told me he would call me Tuesday for the results of my testing and what further action my dealer would be taking. Talked with my service manager today and they are going to call GM and Onstar and we sat and made up a list of questions and concerns for onstar to include the content of the commands and the systems effected. I recommend everyone call onstar just to let them know you have a problem and call GM customer service 800-222-1020 GM tech 866-790-5600. I am real pleased with the efforts my dealership is putting into this (Whitlow Chevrolet in Richmond, VA.) Have also Though of possible bad batch of Onstar interface Modules.
  • jch2jch2 Member Posts: 3
    We too had a battery issue. 2007 Tahoe LTZ with Nav and DVD plus DVD in headrest. 2 months old and thing died in parking lot. Dealer replaced the battery. Hasn't died since but I get a popping noisy sometimes when I turn it on (like an amp popping) and my kids are going to loose their hearing because out of no where the headsets will screech/scream with interference noise. Doesn't matter which system they are using or if only one child is in the car watching a DVD. Dealer says no electrical issues and points to headrest DVDs (although the factory system with factory headsets will do it too). Aftermarket place says no issues with their system, must be electrical in car. The volt meter shows a different voltage everyday and within each day. Dealer said this is normal for Tahoe. I had 3 Navigators before this Tahoe, all with DVD and Navigation systems and none had issues like this.
    Have talked with GM Tech 3 times and several times with the service managers at the dealership and GM will not tell the dealership anything unless the Truck is in for service. Tonight I got a call from GM TECH and they told me ON-STAR is a separate company and that is why they will not give information to me or the dealer. He also told me ON-STAR had changed the code. My question was what was the problem and what did the commands consist of. I would say they would have to change the programming for the commands and that may have been the problem. BUT you have to understand I am being told they changed the code not that there was a problem and that they had found a fix for it. I love my ON-Star and have only had to use it once for and emergency and was glad I had it and if you ever need it you will also be glad you have it. As far as there customer service on their Diagnostic service it sucks!
  • juju2juju2 Member Posts: 3
    MAN I'M GLAD TO HEAR THIS!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only one having this problem. I bet they thought I was crazy.(dealership) I have a 2007 Tahoe LT3. My Tahoe is garage kept, but we drive it on the weekends and traveling. My problem first happened when I accidentally let it sit for about 2 weeks without starting it. Yeah that's another issue. I jumped it, and it was okay. Then a couple of weeks later we went out of town. Everything was fine until we got ready to come home that morning. It wouldn't start!!!!!!!!! So I take it to the dealership, and of course they can't figure out what the problem is. The second time my wife tried to start one morning and it was dead. I came home after bought a battery jumper, used it to start the truck. I took it to the dealership, and luckily it died on the driveway. They couldn't even start it to move it to the back. Now today, I took it to the car wash after sitting since Sunday.
    And guess what, it died on car wash line. How embarassed do you think I was because they couldn't get it moved. It was holding up the whole line up. So I call "my lovely Onstar", and setup the roadside assistance. After I got off of the phone with them(~15 minutes), something told me to try it again. For some reason it started rght up.
    Now that's 3 times. I'm a little upset to say the least. I feel like we are paying too much for this vehicle not be reliable, and having to log around a battery jumper. If anybody finds out what's causing the problem please let me know.
    Unfortunately, I haven't had the problem the last couple of months. The truck's been in the shop for numerous other issues, and I'm afraid they might have reprogrammed something, but they're not talking. If you're battery wasn't dieing like clockwork after the on-star monthly health check, your issue doesn't sound the same as what I had to begin with. Most recently, our vehicle was in the shop due to a loud buzzing coming from the on-star microphone in the ceiling above the driver's head. It happened to us a couple times when we noticed it. I suspect that after the monthly on-star check up, they were leaving that microphone on, or the process was leaving it on, and that was draining the battery overnight while it sat in our garage the night's that it died completely. But I can only speculate.
  • juju2juju2 Member Posts: 3
    After not starting again 3Xs just last week, I got it to the shop for the third or fourth time. They said they think it is linked to the fuel pump relay staying on at times draining the battery. They've check for this once before, but couldn't get it to fail. I'm glad it failed this time, and hope this is the root cause of the problem. Or maybe I should say that I hope they fixed those bad relays as well. Needless to say they replaced the fuel pump relay and the battery. I hope this helps, so we can enjoy our vehicles without the problems.
  • canadavalanchecanadavalanche Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 07 avalanche... dead as a door nail on some mornings for no reason. I was absolutely choked after spending that money for unreliable / unpredictable vehicle and no one giving me any answers so after a few hours of searching the internet, I came across this summarized GM bulletin. I hope this helps... Cheers

Subject: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles-Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative and Battery Rundown-Expires with Base Warranty #07007B - (02/13/2007) Models: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Equinox, Suburban, Tahoe
    This bulletin provides a service procedure for reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) and the remote keyless entry transmitter (FOB) on certain 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne; 2006-2007 Cadillac DTS; 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, SRX; 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Equinox, Suburban, Tahoe; 2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2007 Pontiac Torrent vehicles. On these vehicles, the RKE may become inoperative. Also, for the 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; and GMC Yukon, Yukon XL vehicles (GMT900 Utility) only, this bulletin provides a service procedure for reprogramming the body control module (BCM). On these vehicles, and under certain conditions such as operating the radio with the engine off, the battery can become discharged, preventing engine start-up. Customer vehicles that return for service, for any reason, and are still covered under the vehicle's base warranty, and are within the VIN breakpoints provided below, should be checked for vehicle eligibility in the appropriate system listed below. Year Division Model From Through 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe 7J177482 7J270240 7R205597 7R297218 Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using GMVIS. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved. Important: This bulletin contains two reprogramming procedures, 1) reprogramming of the BCM, and 2) reprogramming of the RCDLR. Not all vehicles require reprogramming of both. • The Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles require the BCM and RCDLR reprogramming.
  • caniwicaniwi Member Posts: 1
    03 2500 Suburban
    Something is draining the battery down to about 9 volts, enough to start the truck.
    All electical systems apper to work, it is just something is drawing a large amout of current when the verchicle is turned off. So much so, that even after a couple of hour trip (plently of time to chagre a battery), If I turn the vechicle off and then turn the ignition on, I will see the voltmeter on the dash slow drop down to arounf the 9 volt level.

I don't beleive it is the alternator as I have had it checked. It is not the battery as I have replaced it and the new one is doing the same thing.

All fuses are the correct size and non are blowing.

I think it is associated with an accessory as if I have a volt metter on the battery, the votage will drop when I open the door (understadable as there are lights on) and after about 20sec, when the lights go off it starts to rise. A short time latter there is another jump in the votage reading. Once when I was in the truck I heard a click at the time the second voltage rise.

I beleive there is an accessory timer that turns off everything if left on. Does anyone know where this relay is? if it is easy to get at and does not control two much I would like to pull it to see if it stops the voltage drop.

I also noticed that if I pull the 'tpc bat' fuse (10A), it stops the voltage drop.

Becase the battery does not go completely dead, I am figuring that what ever is pulling the current to drop the voltage has to be on a timer of some description.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Caniwi
  • cgaeta01cgaeta01 Member Posts: 2
    the car originally had a 600 cca and i replaced it with 700cca is that ok? will it cause starter problems? thanks in advance
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That's fine. CCA (cold cranking amps), is the maximum current that can be drawn from the battery when it is cold. The current that is actually drawn, depends on the starter motor. Having extra power available if needed, is goodness.
  • cgaeta01cgaeta01 Member Posts: 2
    Ok thanks for your help....just wanted to be sure that I don't burn anything out. Thanks again....Chris
  • msivorymsivory Member Posts: 6
    i have an 07 tahoe with no aftermarket acccessories in it. Lastnight i pulled it in the garage listening to the radio while steam cleaning the upholstery. Not even 30-40 mins I cranked it and it's dead.... I got it jump started but it ran rough and all these lights started popping up on the screen and one message said, "Engine power reduced".. WHAT THE HELL???? I tried to back it out in the driveway but there was no power and almost cut out.. I let it sit for an hour then whalaaaa!! it starts and runs normal.. But the engine light is on,, I swear my truck is possessed or has got some David Copperfield crap going on but I had them tow it and I'm requesting a new battery and diagnostic. NO WAY should a new truck die in 40mins from listening to the radio.. This will be my first and LAST Chevy.. I already had a recall on something in my transmission last year... :mad: