Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Dodge Dakota Transmission shifting problems

KyleFogelKyleFogel Member Posts: 1
i have a 2000 dodge dakota 4.7L 4wd

here is my problem

-when shifting into drive there is a delay then hard shift, you can feel it shift
-while driving when it goes to shift from 2nd to 3rd there is also a delay then hard shift
-when going over 45 miles per hour there is a jumpy feeling like lightly taping on the breaks, almost like its jumping in and out of a shift.

a coworker said he had a 2001 dodge ram with these same symptoms and said it was a sensor but cant remember which one

any solutions are helpful

Comments

• sydarmsydarm Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of buying a lovely red 98 Dakota 5 speed man 90,000 miles but everyone says I'm nuts to buy a Dodge due to the tranny problems. Sure love the damned truck though. Are they right?
  • bustinbustin Member Posts: 1
    I have an automatic 92 dodge spirit, V-6 with only 56,000 miles on it and it seems to only stay in 2nd gear and I am wondering what could be the problem? Also I recently had it tuned up and had a transmission flush. But still it only seems to stay in 2nd gear. I am wondering what it could be and how much it will cost to fix. Thanks
  • redneckgurl69redneckgurl69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4...Since it has gotten to be colder weather it is not wanting to shift properly..It stays in the lower gear and will not shift any higher...Sometimes if I let off the gas it will shift other times it does nothing..I have checked the transmission fluid and it is fine...Any solutions???
  • plaindealplaindeal Member Posts: 1
    i am at my wits end with this truck sometimes runs like a dream and then sometimes it won't shift out of 2nd gear have to over-rev vehicle to go 35 to 40 miles per hour, please help reading posting it's either a 400$ tcm or some kind of cheap relay just need help thanx, this is a 6cyl truck with 150k miles on it.
  • carvermancarverman Member Posts: 101
    There are many reasons for the transmission not to shift properly from 2-3.

Yes, there are sensors in the transmission that help the PCM accomplish
    smooth shifting through the gears at the correct rpm.

1. (TSS) Transmission speed sensor, located around the rear of the transmission.

2. Variable pressure solenoid (located inside the transmission) in the
    shift valve control body.

3. Transmission fluid pressure sensor (located inside the transmission
    valve body)

4. Transmission temperature sensor

5. Transmission relay (located in the PDC) which controls +12v power
    the a) variable (shift) force solenoid
    b) 3-4 shift solenoid (to get into O/D)
    c) TCC (torque convertor clutch) solenoid control

the PCM provides gnd (control) to the other side of these solenoids.

There could also be a mechanical issue in the transmission:
    front band (which controls the front planetary gear set, could need adjustment;

or the 2-3 shift valve sticking inside the valve control body of the transmission

Or

the following electrical issues inside the transmission:
    a) IF Torque convertor locks up in 2nd or 3rd gear;
    Lockup solenoid.....( relay or wiring issue)

b) IF harsh 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts, it could also be:
    Lockup solenoid malfunction (remove valve body and replace solenoid)
  • hotrod12333hotrod12333 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 dodge dakota i just put a new clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder on it and now 5th gear and reverse wont work im out of ideas need some help
  • zblakezblake Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with my truck shifting into 3rd gear after i drive maybe 50 feet down the road. When it shifts into third it doesn't downshift or shift into overdrive even if i floor it. This problem only happens when i first start my truck in the morning or if the truck sits for more then 8 hours. After i drive it a few miles i can shut my truck off and start it back up and it runs fine. I have replaced the transmission fluid pressure sensor and still the code comes up that the sensor is bad. I have also did a transmission filter and fluid change and when i did that the truck ran great for about a month and now have the same problem. Any help thank you very much.
  • lmcconahaylmcconahay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 dodge Dakota v6 and the problem is that when I start it and put it in gear and take off it sometimes will shift from first and into the other gears and sometimes it will stay in first and then I have to keep stopping and starting until it shifts into what I believe is second gear and it starts out from then on even when I come to a full stop in second gear but it shifts into the gears above that from then on
  • mscassmscass Member Posts: 3
    Recently purchased my fourth Dakota---a 2006 Dakota R/T /automatic/quad.
    Shortly after purchase I noticed I a clunking sound on gear change going reverse to forward. This happens pretty much every time I back up.
    Two times, backing out of driveway with wheels cranked, the truck stalled on gear change.
    A couple of times on start-up, the truck would not move at all when put in reverse.
    Another sporadic but ongoing issue: I pull truck out of garage and head up driveway, unable to gain full power and there is a sound of air being pushed. Passerbys turn to look so it is noticeable. After a minute or so of “whooshing” up the road the truck returns to normal. The most recent incident,I was highway driving, going downhill, somewhere between 50-70 km, when the truck made a clunking sound and lurched, as though changing gears on its own or slipping.
    Minutes later, on the flat, same speed, it did the same thing. I drove it to pro mechanic, staying under 40 km and under 2000 rpm, with no repeat of incident. Shop owner drove it and it did it again, but when he sent tech out to test drive and its stopped doing it. It is not showing any codes. Best description my girl brain can muster, can anyone offer advice?
  • crotchrocketcrotchrocket Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 dakota 4.7l v8. Right now it is stuck in 3rd gear. It used to fix itself now it's stuck. If I reset the code it will act right then get stuck again. What can I do to fix this problem. It's throwing a p0705 code. Thanks for your help