Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty Key Stuck

unknowing1unknowing1 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Jeep
I have a 2006 Liberty Limited. My problem is the key is stuck in the ignition and the shifter moves freely, without the button being pressed in.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Usually, turning the steering wheel will allow you to remove the key. It may take considerable force to accomplish that. However, if it still refuses to budge, you may need to replace a part inside the steering column. A car dealer will charge you almost $200 to repair it but a locksmith will do it for less than $80! :)

Yes! I had to have that done recently but not with a Jeep

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    unknowing1unknowing1 Member Posts: 2
    That would explain the key stuck in the ignition but that would not explain the free flowing shifter.
  • Options
    fcc3fcc3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 Auto. I have 32,000 miles on it. About two months ago that happened to me. The dealer replaced the shifter. That cost about $198.00.
  • Options
    dirtmoverdirtmover Member Posts: 14
    Same happened to me a couple of days ago - '06 liberty sport. The shifter is cheap plastic junk and something has failed inside relating to the lock mechanism on the knob. The stuck key issue is just a side effect. If you need to get the key out remove the center console and disconnect the interlock cable - the thinner one on the drivers side.

If you get this fixed be sure to have it documented by the dealer and file a complaint

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I believe this is a fairly common occurrence and a safety issue so it should be recalled.
  • Options
    hptechhptech Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have pink liquid leaking from the front of the jeep , its not alot but just curious what this can be
This discussion has been closed.