Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Subauru Baja trailer wiring problem

wizzybajawizzybaja Member Posts: 2
I went to hook up my trailer the other day and found that the lights on the trailer didn't come on. I then hooked up the trailer to another vehicle and the trailer lights lit up just fine.

The problem seems to be with the Baja and not the trailer. I've heard that it could be a ground problem but where do you start? Is there a test kit of some kind out there to help me diagnose the problem? Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Gosh, the harness in the Forester was in the spare tire well, but I'd have no idea where it was connected on a Baja. Sorry.

I do recall a white box that sort of housed the wiring harness for mine. Maybe that went bad?
    Your e-mail is private.

I have photos of what Subaru's harness looks like, and could e-mail to you if you'd like.
  • wizzybajawizzybaja Member Posts: 2
    Okay, you should be able to send those pics now... I just don't know where to begin with testing this wiring. Thanks for the pics!
    Just e-mailed you 4 photos that ought to give you an idea how Subaru wires the hitch.
  • robbaronrobbaron Member Posts: 2
    I'm adding a trailer hitch and of coarse a wiring harness to a 2006 Baja. Is there a way to post those pics on this site? If not, I'd really like to have you email to me

thnx
    I put 'em up on CarSpace.

Here is the grommet that seals the hole that sends the wiring to the outside. It was in the spare tire well of my 98 Forester.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

I secured the wire with zip-ties to the hitch itself.

It was plug-n-play, no splicing, no wiring. All OEM Subaru equipment.
  • zibercatzibercat Member Posts: 3
    I installed the wire harness (4 wire) myself, I did buy a tester from Autozone for about $10 you can go from there. You just connect the tester to the harness and test the break lights, turn signals and regular tail lights
This discussion has been closed.