Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Transmission Troubles

Comments

• harper4321harper4321 Member Posts: 1
    when cold my 87 wrangler shifts ok when warm it wont shift and if it does it skips secound. what can i do what may my problems be? please help :
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    Another forum burped an over-heated fluid post. Some brag about temps kept to below 170 degrees. Saw a post elsewhere where non-US vehicles get a factory/dealer installed cooler for the fix not just an idiot light. Believe that 185 degrees is the factory operating temperature for the tranny. Maybe the design should have been a thin cooler behind the radiator, three coils-a/c, coolant, and tranny cooler.
  • glenhiersglenhiers Member Posts: 2
    I have a Jeep Wrangler and the transmission is making a popping sound in reverse only, Hard to put in 1st and reverse. when going grinds when shifting into gear. any suggestions!!!!
  • gbob12gbob12 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, new to the form. I have a 1986 cherokee lorado with the 2.8L v6. My tranny started making like a grinding,wizzing sound going down the hiway. After that it felt like you was pumping the brake. It quit doing that and now its just making those sounds. It still shifts alright. Could anybody tell me whats going on.Onemore thing, will a tranny from a 84 cherokee that had a four cyl. fit the 2.8. Thanks alot for the help
  • travellintravellin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 wrangler 4 door that is starting to pop out of 1st gear when starting up from a standstill. The shifter physically pops out of gear. Other gears are no problem. Recently had to change clutch and shift linkage. Suggestions as to the problem and solution would be helpful. Thanks.
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    Jeep has a TSB out on this. They replace the 1st gear syncho with a larger one. It seems to have corrected the problem. Check with your retailer.

Good luck.
  • jeep7girljeep7girl Member Posts: 2
    We bought a brand new 2008 Jeep Wrangler X manual transmission, 2 door. We now have our 5th transmission. The first one slipped out of reverse, it took me a year & 1/2 to convince the dealership that it was doing this. The second one slipped out of first gear, number three rattled so much that I prayed that I would make it home every time I drove it (I use it to commute 120 miles of open highway a day). The fourth one made even more noise. If you hit a bump with the front drivers side tire it feels like you have blown a tire and it shakes so bad we have to stop driving it to make it quit shaking.
  • jokmojokmo Member Posts: 1
    Do you have larger tires on your jeep? I have a 2005 wrangler as well and i drove it for two years now to have my tranny go into second gear at hyway speeds and stay there. i took it to the dealer and long story short i was told my tranny is slipping the pump, the clutches etc[$4000]. i didnt fall for that. i then asked and read forums . i changed the computer. [ my original code said trans controller]. no change but now an additional code, speed sensior, ok i changed that. same problem along with an additional code [3 codes now]. new code with new computer says my gear ratio is incorrect. my next step is to scan my Larger tire size into the computer. ill let you know what happens. I pray !
  • scarrylwscarrylw Member Posts: 1
    I can be driving along and its working normally and then it just gos from 3rdor even O/D to 2nd . this stated the same day I had the transmission flushed.any suggestions.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It's a result of the debris stirred up and now deposited in the valve body by the flushing.
  • guido31lguido31l Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2011
    I have a 2004 Jeep Rubicon that has a knocking sound when I put it in gear. It is loudest when I put in gear and have my foot on the clutch. It is a 5 speed manual trasmission and it has a new throwout bearing. I've had the transmission opened up and the guy at the shop couldnt find anything wrong with it. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Is your transmission mount (which attaches to the plate underneath the Jeep) secured? There are 4 bolts that should secure it down. If it is secure, it is possible it is broken. It has been known to happen.

-Paul
    the transmission mounts were fine. the transmission guys said the main bearing was fine and the gears looked great. I asked them to put a new clutch kit in while we had the transmission dropped, and still the same problem. At idle it sounds like a throw out bearing until i put my foot on the clutch and the noice disapears. the noise occurs while in and out of gear. the only way to stop it is to engage the clutch. it is loudest at idle in neutral with foot off the clutch.
    It's either a bearing or a gear, I'd guess a bearing as the transmission guys would have to have been really incompetent to have missed a chipped tooth.
    Im going to drop it myself this weekend and take a look, thank you
  • whataguy11727whataguy11727 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 4.0, 6-speed manual transmission, 2005 Jeep Wrangler. Since recently having the dealer replace the clutch and flywheel I have been experiencing a pronounced vibration in the vehicle at approximately 2500 rpms, regardless of which gear the car is in. The vibration is similar to the feeling of riding on unbalanced tires. The vibration significantly lessens above and below 2500 rpms.
    Answered the first time you posted this.
  • jsandlinjsandlin Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1988 jeep wrangler 5sp. manual transmission. I was having trouble shifting it into and out of gears, esp. 5th. I changed the master cylinder and slave plate. Today, i took it for a test drive. When the engine gets hot, the transmission sticks in 5th gear. It will not come out of 5th until I kill the engine for a couple minutes. When I crank back up, it goes into 1st gear fine and does this each time I start driving again.
  • boss45boss45 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 1991 Sahara 4.0 manual. I can drive the jeep for about 10-15 minutes with everything shifting fine, but then when the jeep seems to be warmed up, I cannot shift into any gear.

Please help.

Thanks
    I would suspect the wrong oil in the transmission.
    When was it last changed, and what with?
  • boss45boss45 Member Posts: 2
    I had some local mechanics do some transmission work awhile back. I will check into this and see what they put in it. Thanks,
  • sgtsmom1965sgtsmom1965 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Jeep Forum, I recently purchased a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, 22,000 miles, and I am on the 4th attempt to get the transmission fixed. A new transmission has arrived and will be installed on Monday.
    I hope it's a warranty claim and not coming out of your own pocket!
    It is a warranty claim. It took them over two months to go this avenue. Unfortunately I had to send a complaint to the BBB and the Attorney General's office. We hope it fixes the problem! :mad:
    Transmission in, Slave Cyliner leaking fluid!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • wrangler1995wrangler1995 Member Posts: 1
    My 1995 Wrangler grinds when changing gears. I have replaced the clutch but this morning, I lost 5th gear. Is is better to rebuild my transmission or replace it and which is less expensive?
    Is is better to rebuild my transmission or replace it and which is less expensive?

If you can rebuild it yourself then that's the way to go, otherwise you need to get on the phone to local transmission shops and compare their prices and labor rates......check online too.
    There is no clear cut answer I'm afraid.
  • roadr91roadr91 Member Posts: 1
    I put my 92 jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive and only 3 wheels will spin, at first I figured it was just cause it is limited slip, but even after the passenger side front wheel was free spinning for several minutes, the driver side front never engaged, any ideas why this is?
    Both rear wheels spun because of the LSD in the rear axle.
    However the open diff in the front axle will always put power to the wheel with the least traction.
    One wheel will always spin more freely than the other on the same axle, usually because one disc brake is binding a little more than the other, therefore the diff will continue to send power to the wheel that spins the easiest.

I'm assuming this scenario takes place with all four wheels off the ground?
  • griffin71griffin71 Member Posts: 2
    While driving, the rpm's will shoot over 4000. I can pull over and turn the vehicle off and restart. It will drive fine for a couple of weeks, and then same issue. It has progressively gotten worse, only drive for a few miles now before it reoccurs. Talk to two jeep owners, and they said it was a bad sensor on or in the transmission on theirs. I don't know where to start. Anyone have any ideas?
    Manual or automatic?
  • griffin71griffin71 Member Posts: 2
    Automatic
    Automatic

So we know it's not a failing clutch. ;)

Have you checked for codes?
  • sladeringersladeringer Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I have a 2000 jeep wrangler, automatic, 4.0, 6cyl, I have a problem of it shifting going down the road. I'll be driving and all of a sudden it drops outa gear, lose power then jerk and kick back into gear. I changed the trans oil and filter butu still have the problem can someone please help.
    edited August 2011
    It could be one of several things, and you've eliminated the most obvious, filter and low fluid.

Other possibilities are a bad govenor, bad pump or air leak on suction side, front band misadjusted, clutch or servo failure.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but the cause is almost certainly abuse (overheating or water intrusion), or lack of maintenance.

Your transmission, the 32RH, is the final development of the Torqueflite 999 and is as close to bulletproof as it's possible to be.
    The good news is that parts are readily available and most transmission shops have a good understanding of them.

As a general point, most automatic problems are due to lack of maintenance or abuse.
    On this particular transmission, maintenance consists of just changing the fluid and filter, and making adjustments.
    It should be performed every 37.5Kmiles or 30 months, although I like the follow the 'severe duty' schedule which is every 12K miles. It's very cheap insurance!
    In my experience though, the transmission is rarely ever serviced. :sick:

Note: a transmission flush is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A SERVICE, and can often cause problems of it's own.
  • mynameismudmynameismud Member Posts: 1
    I got an 04 Jeep Wrangler, with a manual transmission. Shortly after a 4 inch lift was done to it, the transmission got harder and harder to get into reverse until now I can't seem to get it in at all, and now wont stay in second gear. Either way I believe I am going to have to replace the transmission, or have it rebuilt. Does anyone know if, and how, the lift can cause this kind of problem? :confuse:
    Does anyone know if, and how, the lift can cause this kind of problem?

Depends on whether if it was a body lift, suspension lift, or a combination of the two.
    After all this time, since April of 2011 after new transmission, the 4th gear continues to pop out while driving and into neutral. Paperwork has been submitted to the Maine Attorney Generals office to exercise the Maine Lemon Law. This Jeep has only 27,000 miles on it. Very frustrated with Chrysler and their solution was to replace the shift boot; if this doesn't work, they suggest replacing the transmission. HELLO, they just did all that work in April.............
  • troytrojan1troytrojan1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 automatic with just over 20,000 miles. Sitting at work and cranked fine, only to find out it won't go into gear. Never been in the mud or in deep water. Sits in a garage and is driven for pleasure only. Any suggestions of what to check first ?
    You say it cranked fine, i.e. the starter spun the engine, but did it fire up and run?

When you say it won't go into gear, do you mean the shift lever won't move, or that with the shift lever in the correct position the transmission won't engage?
  • nyzingernyzinger Member Posts: 1
    1992 wrangler 4.0 5spd. man.
    4" susp. lift kicks out of 2nd gear
    I have heard to raise engine to adjust driveshaft angle;
    does this seem correct or am I reaching ?
    ideas?
  • rgreen1rgreen1 Member Posts: 4
  • ou812flou812fl Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X 6 speed manual a few months back. About a month ago the clutch starting getting stiff and it started making a grinding noise as I am about to shift between first and second and even more so between second and third, but never slips. Called the dealer I bought it from and they said that a stiff clutch was normal for jeeps especially ones like mine that had been lifted and had bigger tires. After that phone call I got underneath and noticed a leak, took it to the dealer and they replaced the master and also said the fluid leak was probably causing the noise. As I am leaving the clutch feels normal again but the grinding noise is still there. Turned around and went back, they say there is no grinding noise when they have it up on the lift. Any ideas ?
  • megbutlamegbutla Member Posts: 5
    What exactly was happening for you to know that it was the computer?? I have an 06 wrangler sport with MAJOR transmission issues. I had a new one put in it last month thru the dealership, and its still having issues. They cant seem to tell me whats wrong with it. But they did keep mentioning a temp sensor. I did have a mechanic not associated with the dealership tell me that it could possibly be the computer. ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!
  • bigs27bigs27 Member Posts: 2
    hey man...im in ny..my car has been popping out of first every now and then...ive been thinking it was my error somehow i had no idea what i could be doing. i cant imagine the fourth gear. i would get so scared. it is loud and abrassive when it slips out of first. same when out of fourth?
  • bigs27bigs27 Member Posts: 2
    i never really thought anything of it because i dont believe it has affected the cars performance in any way...but it is not aesthetically pleasing whatsoever. i see even 2007 to 11 mine is the only rusty one. should i worry about this?
    ..........mine is the only rusty one. should i worry about this?

Only if it worries you! ;)

Smarten it up with a $4 can of aluminum paint from Home Depot.
    Otherwise, save up and plan to replace the muffler in the next five to ten years. :)
  • denhamjeeperdenhamjeeper Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 06 wrangler... just bought it a little over a month ago... put in 4-wheel drive one time.. only driven on highway occasionally.. weekend vehicle... now transmission wont go in any gear and only have 27k miles... new transmission? vehicle super clean! does have a 4 in lift and big tires. what should i do with it? any recommendations?
    Manual or automatic? With the transfer case in neutral can you engage any gears on the main transmission?

When you put it in 4WD did you engage 4H or 4L, and were you able to disengage it ok?
  • megbutlamegbutla Member Posts: 5
    Is it an automatic or a manual?? Mine is an automatic and I had a similar problem like this happen to mine at 80k miles. I couldnt get it into park, or drive, only neutral and reverse. There eneded up being a little piece inside the shifter that was broken which wasnt allowing it to go into gear. My husband was able to fix it, and all we had to do was buy a $100.00 part from the dodge place. Good luck finding out whats wrong with it!!!