Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    I wouldn't worry about the soccer moms taking over the Wrangler with the intro of the unlimited. It still only seats four and it would still be a PITA getting in and out of the back seat with still only two doors. The unlimited would get my interest since most my dirt driving is nothing more than forest roads with an occassional foray into the desert when I visit the old country. Problem is, my '91 just keeps on running reliably so there's no reason to part with it.

I wonder if they've ever thought of flipping the rear seat so it faces backwards. How much easier it would be to get in and out of for spry young kids through the hatchback.

Those big rear side windows though are starting to bring nightmares of the AMC Gremlin years.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I'm just worried that DC will end up doing away with the Jeep as we know it now in favor of the Unlimited. That seems to happen to every vehicle that I love. For instances.... the El Camino/Ranchero, the two door full-size Ford Bronco, the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Anyway, maybe it won't happen to the Wrangler, ever.

On another item; Is an AX-5 tranny out of a 2001 TJ the exact same tranny as my '95 AX-5? The reason for the question. I have located this tranny with only 35,000 miles on it. I think the guy would probably sell it pretty cheap.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Dimensions and spline counts should be the same, but there might be a difference in clutch slave location (internal vs. external).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I believe it was the 93's that first had external slave cylinders, and Jim's is a 95. He may be in luck! That would be COOL!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I got 11,0000! Yeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

:)

Tom

The dad of the owner of Brewco Motor Sports has invited me to come to his private 450 acre Jeep playground the day after Thanksgiving. I think it is some old strip mine land that he has cut trails in with his dozer. Should be a blast, and it's only about three miles from my house. I am supposed to meet with Clarence and some other Jeepers at the race shop, which is about 8 miles from here.

Clarence Brewer Sr., the guy who owns the land, has a highly built up Jeep that I have never seen. It is supposed to be painted in the same scheme as the Timberwolf race car, and I am dying to see it. I will definitely get pics!

Tom

Does the position of the slave cylinder depend on the bell housing or the tranny itself? If I do have a different slave cylinder placement from this tranny, can I put my bell housing on the new tranny?
    Have fun Friday. I can't wait to see pics of the place and his Jeep.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Im still here reading but have not posted in a while. We still are looking for a home. However, the delay in getting my wrangler could be good after all. I have been keeping up with Jeep news and the possibility of a stretched jeep wrangler is just what im looking for with the extra room for all the family gear. Keeping my fingers crossed. Take Care and Happy Holidays! Jeff
    You should be able to just switch bell housings without any problem if there's incompatibility with the clutch hydraulics. Obviously, the external version is preferable.
    Man, don't disappear on us like that! Texasjeep does the same thing. Is there something in the water down there? :)

Well, if you can hang in there long enough, then getcha one of those unlimiteds.

Tom

Has anyone participated in a Jeep Jamboree. They look like fun but seem a bit pricey. The wife has mentioned it and well if its worth the $$$ then I will suprise her with a trip. Thanks, Jeff
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    A longer wheelbase can be better for off-roading. Especially if you are going big. A good number of people are going to scramblers and lengthening their wranglers. I know I have seen longer wheelbase Jeeps and other vehicles tackle an obstacle and a short wheelbase Jeep not make it or not make it as easy.

Jeep Jamboree
    I wouldn't go on the Ouray, CO jamboree again but I have been several times to the YO ranch and I will probably being going again this year. They definitely cost too much but I enjoy it enough to keep going so far. I would go on more if they weren't so expensive. It is basically 2 full days of Jeeping. There is also Camp Jeep. You will probably have a longer drive but you pay by the Jeep. It is more family oriented and has other activities.
    On the Jamborees it is fun to meet people from all over and check out a lot of different Jeeps. You do wait around some though because you run trails in groups of about 20-25.
  • bmg132bmg132 Member Posts: 28
    My buddy is shopping some sites for Wranglers and pointed something out you guys might be able to help with:

When building/pricing a Wrangler w/options dual tops is listed at appx $1400. Some sites list just the hardtop as an option for appx $750. I got a sport and think it says dual tops on my invoice (will double check when I get home). Don't all models come with a soft top? Where is the advantage of getting Dual tops? Is this some kind of pricing scam?
    Thanks for the info. Actually Ouray was one of the ones i was considering is there a particular reason you would not recommend this jamboree. The other two im considering is Red River, New Mexico and YO Ranch as I live in Dallas, Texas and that one would be close. I have a 98' grand with a 3" lift but just have a feeling i would be the only grand at a jamboree surrounded by wranglers which i guess couldnt be all bad, lol....
    All models come with a soft top as standard equipment. If you opt for a hard top only then the soft top is deleted and an allowance made for it, which is why you only pay an additional approx. $750 (try buying a hard top aftermarket for $750!). If you specify dual tops then you keep your soft top and pay an additional approx. $1400 for the hard top........... plus any configuration that gets the hard top also gets the full steel doors, and additional wiring and switches for the rear wiper/washer and defroster.

The dual top option really is the best value for money. I can't think why you think it's some kind of scam???
  • bmg132bmg132 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks. I got confused. Was looking at the soft top as standard & the hard top as an option. Went completely over my head that the soft top got deleted on the hard top option. Doh!
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Ouray, CO is very beautiful and scenic and worth going to. Although the trails are not challenging at all and I would rather run the trails with some friends or a small group to see the area instead. The Ouray trails are public land but YO ranch isn't so you have to run the jamboree to do those trails.
    I heard The Palo Duro jamboree is good. (Amarillo)
    There are always a few grands and cherokees on the jamborees. Last year I saw a few stock liberty's.
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    I've ordered my Jeep!

Man, oh, man am I looking forward to the day she arrives. It's a factory order so there is going quite a bit of waiting yet (dealer suspects that it will be at least mid-January before she's in Edmonton). At least it gives me the time to try and unload my current ride.

I went with a silver rubi, manual with the following options:
     - Auto Dim mirror w/compass/lamps/temp.
     - Locking fuel cap
     - Floor mats (no charge on these)
     - Dual Tops
     - A/C
     - Deep Tint windows
     - 7 Speaker group
     - Leather wrapped wheel (commonly known as cruise control)
     - The sentry key/block heater are standard and included in the price...

Not much haggling over price involved as I managed to get in on a friends & family program which gives me a price of 1% under invoice...

Now, is there any way to track the order as they build it online? Or do I have to hound them over the phone (I do have my VON)? Tom, I saved your post on getting a factory build sheet but didn't see anyway of tracking a new build... Anyone, anyone?

Andrew
    All I can say is....

YEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Old Man! You didn't mess around, did you? A RUBI!!!!

Man, I am so happy for ya, I could croak. You picked out a nice color too. Silver is VERY nice, but it also has the advantage of being a light color that will not show scratches very bad.

Twylie has someting on his site about tracking your order through the build process. Man, I did that when Thelma Jane was being built, but that was three years ago, and I didn't save any of the info. I don't think you could track it via the Internet back then, and you had to call an 800 number. You can get the number through Jeep.com, I'm sure.

You can track the progress of the shipping on the puter, though. Twylie tells ya how to do that in his website.

WAY TO GO, ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!

How are WE gonna survive the wait? :)

Tom

Thanks Tom!

Not only is this my first ever Jeep, but also my first brand-spankin-new-ordered-from-factory purchase! Very, very, very excited... :-)

I have to admit that the wait is going to be excruciating, but well worth every second that crawls by... All summer I was thinking about it, going for rides in my friends TJ... finally broke down and bit the bullet.

Yeah, I really like the silver. I would have gone for the Inca Gold had they still been offering it (the Solar Yellow didn't do it for me) but the Silver looks pretty sharp too. Like you say, the fact it won't show scratches as much is a definite bonus. :-)

Thanks again. Tomorrow morning will be time to go and hound DC... ;-) (Thanks for posting some great info. Twylie).
    Will let you folks know as I learn where it's all at!

Andrew
    You also get a notation on the window sticker which states that..... "This vehicle was built especially for Andrew xxxxx ".

Adds no real value, but rather nice nonetheless, especially as it's your first new vehicle.
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    I hope everyone is enjoying the day.

Rich
    Gah, DC wasn't willing to let me know the status of the order - had to go through the dealer and apparently it's in "BX"... Too bad you can't track that online!

Happy Thanksgiving folks.

Andrew
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Here's a list of status codes for factory orders.

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/ordering.htm

Looks like you're at:

BX - passed edit available for schedule
    Same to ya! And, Happy Turkey Day to all of my other Edmunds Buds too, including our moderators, who have been awfully quiet lately. Steve? Tidester? You guys still out there?

Tom

• hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    Looks like DC has made up its mind on the extended offering. Too bad about the Scrambler. Will the Unlimited hold a coupla bikes with the seat folded, iyo? Are there any photos of these to look at? Anything about engine choices? (I noticed the tow rating is up to 3500 lb.) Tops? Will it be a "real" Wrangler?
    I always enjoy your comments.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    You know, the more I hear about the Unlimited, the more I think I may have to seriously look into purchasing one. Having the extra room will be a huge plus for me as I am an every weekend beach-goer in the summer time. Will these things really be ready for a spring roll-out? I'd also like to know more about pricing. Hopefully they will be close to what the wrangler is now but I bet they won't deal for around invoice until the novelty wears off.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...to all of the great wranglers from edmunds.com!

tidester, host
    All speculation on my part. I think I remember reading about 17" of extra room in the back? No way that would hold two bikes with the seat still in, even folded. Probably not even with it out unless you do some fancy packing. Those wheel wells that take up so much of the space will still be there. The tow rating probably went up because of the longer wheelbase, the current Wrangler is just too squirelly to tow much safely. It's gotta have a soft top, otherwise there will be revolution. I don't think the Rubicon necessarily started a buying frenzy, and that was the coolest thing I think they could have done for the Jeep. I doubt if the unlimited would be a hot item unless they just don't make many of them. All speculation as I said, always fun to talk about things I don't know about.

Happy Thanksgiving.
    Gary
    Latest that I read was that it would end up adding 2" of space between the front and rear seats, and an additional 10-12" in the back (I've seen both numbers on different articles). I think the wheelbase itself is extended by 10"... Of course, I am just trying to remember from the articles I read so those numbers may not be at all accurate.

One of the articles mentioned a soft-top that was capable of either opening up part-ways (as in, you don't have to fold the whole thing away when putting it down), or all the way down... a little more speculation for you. Wonder how that would work, and wouldn't it cause more noise due to flapping? I think that even if it is ready by April, I'd probably wait until the following year just so they get all(?) the kinks out...

lol. In a way I wish I had heard about it before I ordered my rubi... but not to worry, I've no regrets. :-) Will be bothering my dealer again on Monday!
    Andrew
  • wildbl1500wildbl1500 Member Posts: 48
    I was thinking that the Scrambler would have needed a longer wheelbase anyway. Maybe DC is thinking of producing the Scrambler down the road using the Wrangler Unlimited platform. Similar to the way they're introducing the PT convertible and the 2 door coupe/hatchback later down the road.

The Scrambler would have a smaller market than the Unlimited, with all the extended cab and crew cab trucks out there. Probably the decision came down to the bottom line as most things do.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Man,

I bet that new hard top is gonna be a PITA to lift up. Gotta have the top winch for that one. :)

I dunno though, the longer top just looks goofy to me for some reason. I like the idea of the increased storage and room for rear passengers, but it just doesn't look right for some reason. Maybe it needs some 33's and a lift!

-Paul
    I went to that private property today, like I told you guys I was supposed to do. It would be a real nice place to wheel under dry conditions, but it definitely was NOT dry today!

Still, a good day. Met some nice folks, and we had a good time. The winch got a workout today, that's for sure!

I crunched the license plate thing again, even worse this time. I was trying a very steep, muddy climb and lost traction. When I hit the brakes after I was able to go no further up, Thelma slipped back down with her tires locked up, and she hit a tree with the left rear corner. I thought I had surely busted my hard top, but I guess the only contact was on the license plate holder. It got pushed into the sheet metal just a tiny bit, so there's a new dent now. Just a small one. :)

Here's a pic of Clarence Brewer Sr.'s Jeep. Remember, he is the dad of the guy who owns Brewco Motor Sports and the Timberwolf race car. Clarence has his Jeep painted like the Timberwolf car.

Tom

• colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    I found out today from my Chrysler Zone Rep what the Wrangler Unlimited is all about. It is setting the stage for a 4-Door Wrangler, on steroids and meaner than the Rubicon, meant to take on the all new Hummer H3 head to head.

Also found out that the all new Wrangler with an all new engineering platform will debut in 2006. Exciting times are coming!
    For me, the Jeep was always about the fact that it could be fairly inexpensive and it is a simple, basic vechicle. I'm afraid I'd be leaving the Jeep Wrangler clan if it goes a different direction. But then I'm sure I'm really no longer the target they're shooting for either. We'll wait and see. . .
    I hope the Wrangler doesn't go the route of the XJ, being replaced by an entirely different vehicle that is not a true off road vehicle at all.

I like all that has been done over the years to get the Jeeps to the point they are now with the TJ. Some old time Jeepers would argue, I'm sure, that the TJ has gone too far, but it is sure a trail-worthy vehicle, and I don't see how anyone could deny that.

Tom

The brass at Jeep have told the dealer body that every Jeep that will be made or designed from this point forward will be Rubicon able. They apologized to us after the word got out that they were going soft. They meant to say that they were going to improve the road mannors while maintaining off-road superiority.

Do any of you remember the Dakar concept of a few years ago? This is the foundation for the Wrangler Unlimited and the new 4 door TJ.

• lebowskilebowski Member Posts: 4
    Hi, prowling through old posts I saw a thread on old dogs. Briefly, when glucosamine and rimadyl aren't doing the trick, a relatively new drug called dermamax does wonders. Expensive but takes years off the dog.
    More $$ than Rimadyl, yikes. My old dog Annabelle was barely getting around today, had to slip her an extra pill. I'll check it out. At 95 pounds, she's a weight. I built her a ramp that gets her into the pickup bed and the Jeep without crippling both of us.
    Thanks! I might have to check with my vet about getting Ross Allen on that stuff. I really can't see any difference in the amount of limping he does with the Rimadyl or without it. Maybe that new stuff is what he needs.

Tom

• embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I got my Jeep back yesterday, with most of the vandalism repaired. Just waiting on delivery of the rear passenger quarter window. Auto Club insurance was surprisingly helpful. I tripped 1700 miles today, and in what I hope is a move of good karma, had a long discussion with a guy in a super market parking lot thinking about getting a Wrangler. I'll post some pics as soon as the new window comes in and I get her washed.

More good news: Governor Arnold repealed the California car tax, and it's retroactive! I should be getting a check in early '04.

-Mike
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Been catching up on posts. Was struck by the new stretch Jeep Unlimited. While searching the web for it, I also found...

The Jeep Rescue
    Jeep Compass
    Jeep Journey
    Various Jeep Willys II concepts
    And...the new '04 Jeep Wrangler Willys X.

The Willys X is on the jeep.com site.

Also listed, new Columbia edition Jeeps (Columbia parka included). And it looks like they might have revoked the CD as being standard on the Sports????

-Mike
    Glad the repairs are going so well, but it's still a shame that you are having to go through all of that.

Good to hear from ya.

Tom

• guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Maybe DC is seriously going back after the military business with the additional capacity. Our government could probably acquire 4-5 Unlimiteds for the price of one H-1 Humvee.
    At the 2004 Detroit auto show, Jeep is showing an H2-sized Jeep with removeable doors, fold down windshield and a 5.7L Hemi.
    I was just about to say something about how quiet it's been...

Gah. Sadly, no news... according to the dealer my baby is still awaiting scheduling. To steal a line from The Simpsons - I didn't think it was possible, but this waiting both blows and sucks at the same time. ;-)

Andrew
    As for me, nothing much is going on. I had that tranny on ebay, but someone wanted it worse than I did. Otherwise, pretty dull around my place.