Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 GMC Terrain First Drive

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
At first glance, you'd say the 2010 GMC Terrain is a truck: upright, squared-off and with beefy shoulders over the wheels that would look right at home on a Hummer or Jeep. Until the large Acadia crossover appeared, GMC had always been a purist's truck brand, maker of body-on-frame haulers and workhorses. The Terrain wears its GMC badges proudly (there are even little GMC emblems molded into the side reflectors incorporated in the taillights), but it's really a compact crossover SUV, mechanically akin to the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox.

2010 GMC Terrain First Drive
Tagged:

Comments

• rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    how soon will they arrive in the US?
  • rbtrbt Member Posts: 2
    I saw both the GMC Terrain and Chevy Equinox at the Texas State Fair this past weekend. They both looked great inside and out--outside was where the differences really could be seen. The disappointing part of both was the seats. They were uncomfortable, lacked support, were thin and the front headrest hit in all the wrong places. My current '08 Pilot has much more comfortable and supportive seats in both front and back--even the third row is more comfortable. Maybe GM will address this on the next round.
  • yue9yue9 Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if anybody had any success with installing an aftermarket nav system in lieu of the standard factory receiver. I feel like the $2100 pricetag for the OEM nav system is a ripoff and I'd like to hear if anybody has any comments on that and any positive experience with another system. Thanks
  • terrain34terrain34 Member Posts: 7
    Please I need some advice. I purchased my new 2010 Terrain! I fell in love with it, until it started leaking oil. I took it to get serviced and they put on a new gasket and re-sealed a plug. Two weeks later my Terrain is back in the shop for an oil leak! I took the $500 off the price (customer satisfaction guart.) How can I go about getting a new Terrain instead of them fixing it ?
    Thanks! :cry:
  • rtlmedrtlmed Member Posts: 1
    I'm amazed at some of the comments about the new Terrain. It is aggressive and different looking without going too far. Fit and finish are excellent. Great engine and transmission. Handles very well. The car looks much more expensive than it is. Plenty of room. Looked at RAV 4, Mazda, Equinox, Ford Edge. Terrain more distinctive, higher level interior quality and substantial "feel". That's why I bought one yesterday.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I agree. I have seen a few driving around now and I like them. It's a very bold look unlike most smaller SUVs.

I think GMC hit it right. I might change a few styling details but over all it's growing on me.
  • baldmantruckinbaldmantruckin Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody know how to turn the " Change the oil soon " light off in the Terrain ? Thanks for any info .

Mark
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Mark,
    I am from GM Customer Service. The normal way to clear the "change oil soon," is to turn you key to on but, don't start your engine. Then quickly press the gas pedal down (all the way) three times, it should clear the warning lamp. However, if you have DIC buttons this is how you clear it. 1. Turn the ignition to ON /RUN ,
    with the engine off.
    2. Press the DIC menu button until
    Oil Life Remaining displays.
    3. Press and hold the set/clear
    button until 100% is displayed.
    4. Turn the key to LOCK /OFF.
    The system is reset when the
    Change Engine Oil Soon message
    goes off
    If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • lheberusalheberusa Member Posts: 6
    Got a recall notice for GMC Terrain to reprogram" the computer". Took it in today. Dealer called: Seems while programming the computer, the GMC website "went down" causing the computer to "fry"(??). No parts are available and was told it could take months to get the parts!
    Now I'm worried that more may have been damaged. Not sure what to do at this point.
    Dealt with wary dealership personnel who were extra careful not to give too much information.
    Hello Iheberusa,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that your experience at the dealership was less than optimal. Can you please email me with more information so I can look into the situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Hi Ihebeusa,

I am sorry to hear about your problem...doesn't sound like a nice experience . My son got the same recall and I don't think he will want to rush bringing it in...after hearing this ! I would be very interested in hearing how you make out with this situation....good luck !

Mark
    Hi Mariah,

It is my son's vehicle....I will pass this info on to him ! He loves the Terrain and I also think it is nice....really does look sharp ! Thanks for your reply and help...it is appreciated !

Regards,
    Mark
    Hello Mark,
    You're welcome! :) I love the Terrain as well, it is a sharp vehicle.
    Hi, thanks for emailing me about this issue. I'm happy to report there has been a new positive development in the computer issue thanks to a hard working Technician. Yesterday afternoon husband was called to say vehicle is ready(???). I called to get more details and actually spoke to the technician who did the work. He explained that while programming the vehicle, the GMC website (TIS2WEB) went down. He tried reprogramming but the TIS2WEB website was down and kept timing out. The computer was dead at this point. The programming was interrupted and "scrambled" the computer making it non-functioning. The Technician attempted to order the part but was unable to order. This is when we were told the part may not be available for weeks or months.

The Technician continued to work on this since he knew the part would be hard to get.
    Well, he continued to work on it and had it finally working the next morning and he could then reprogram it (Website was functioning).
    I don't know why we were told that the computer was fried (implies additional damage could be possible). When we were told about the problem, all communication was to and from their "trouble repair" person. This was the person who told us it was fried. We were then offered a rental until the part came in.
    Needless to say, I asked the Technician for the documentation of the incident in case of future problems and he was more than happy to supply a copy.
    So the dealership was able to correct the problem.
    When the "satisfaction survey" is received, we have full intentions to give the dealership (especially that hard-working Technician!!!) high marks.
    BTW, the Technician said the TIS2WEB website had been unreliable that day and decided not to attempt to reprogram any other cars to avoid what happened to our vehicle.
    I'm happy to report that the dealership was wrong: the computer was NOT fried on our 2010 GMC Terrain.
    Thanks to a hard working techician, he was able to bring a dead / scrambled computer back to life.
    To rehash the issue: We had the vehicle in for a recall. Part of the work was to reprogram the computer. During the programming, the GMC programming website kept going down. This caused the computer to fail and was non-functioning.

The tech attempted to order a replacement part but was unsuccessful. They were told the part would not be available for weeks or months.
    We were called and told the computer had been fried and would need to be replaced and we were told the time frame for the arrival of the replacement part.

The Technician continued to work on this since he knew the part would be hard to get.
    Well, he continued to work on it and had it finally working the next morning and he could then reprogram it (Website was functioning).

When I was told the vehicle was ready, needless to say, I asked the Technician for the documentation of the incident in case of future problems and he was more than happy to supply a copy.
    So the dealership was able to correct the problem.

When the "satisfaction survey" is received, we have full intentions to give the dealership (especially that hard-working Technician!!!) high marks.
    I called the dealership to thank them for working hard to get the Terrain reprogrammed. I found out they were trying to get a computer off the assembly line to fix the vehicle if they couldn't program the current computer. WOW!!! HIGH MARKS DESERVED!!!
  • fznfishfznfish Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    While looking at the Terrain and Equinox, I discovered something interesting and confusing. While talking to a Terrain salesman, I leaned back into the driver's door and the metal bowed in like there was no support behind the metal. Same for 2 other Terrains. When I did the same thing to an Equinox, it hardly bowed and felt solid. Same for 2 other Equinoxes.
    I presently have a 2007 GMC Envoy and the doors feel solid (like the new Equinox and other cars.
    So my question is, what is going on with the Terrain? What's behind the metal on all four doors? Feels like there's nothing there.
  • terraindaveterraindave Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I purchased a new Terrain back in February, and were super excited to get it. For the most part, my wife loves the car (it's her daily driver). However, from time to time, the engine drops down to a super low idle (like it's about to stall it). While driving, it just sputters along, clearly not running fine. At a stop, it idles very low and feels like it is about to stall.

Usually, we can get to where we need to be, and most times, the issue is gone the next time we drive the car. Obviously, very frustrating, as it's difficult for a tech to diagnose an issue that isn't happening all the time.

The engine has always sounded a bit "knocky" for my taste (it's the 4-cyl, but still, didn't sound quite right).

Admittedly, we have not yet set up an appointment to drop the car off and have full diagnostic done on it (on our list to do), but has anyone else had this problem?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I don't have a terrain (yet anyway), but you could check out the Equinox forums here at Edmunds, others have reported it. I don't see a fix anywhere there yet though.
    Hello Terraindave,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Now with 4 cylinder Terrains they do have a ticking noise that comes from the fuel injectors and that is normal. I am not sure if you are experiencing this noise at all. When you take the vehicle into the shop for diagnoses please let me know how it goes. Thank you,
  • marranomarrano Member Posts: 1
    Hello friends, I bought a Terrain 2010 used and I brought this to Perú. I am disable people and had to install a accesory for driving it without problems.
    This car had a electric problem near the wheel steering and in Miami my friend helped me gives solution with some parts, but now this arrived here and when I move the wheel steering to right, it stop and does not move, after offer some force, it loose and I can continue drive.
    Could you help me with some ideas about this problem? maybe the mechanical problem or could be the electric power steering, how can I get to find the problem.
    Best regards
  • mprinceterrainmprinceterrain Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if this problem ever got resolved. I have a 2010 Terrain and am experiencing this problem now. I took it to the dealer and they fixed a problem I had with the balancing chain and water pump and was assured that would fix the problem. It did after 4 days; but then it came back. I'm dropping the car back off this weekend hoping they will find the problem.
    Thanks
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry to read that the original fix, the chain and the water pump, did not resolve the rough running concern with your Terrain. Hopefully this weekend's visit will result in a new diagnosis and repair; please keep us posted!

If we can be of further assistance, let us know.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bella9137bella9137 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Terrain is having this exact problem only it does actually stall when I stop. Was your issue ever resolved? Can you tell me what you discovered?
    If you wanted for us to work with you through the process of getting this checked out at a dealership, bella9137, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service