Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rims and Tires

linclslincls Member Posts: 1
I have a 2002 Lincoln Ls and I wanted to get some rims. The ones that I am looking at are 20x7.5. My question is will those be sunken in? I want my rims and tires to come all the way out to the edge of the fender. Anyone have any advice? I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    That depends what the offset is. If they are all the way to the fender they might hit the fender lip with rims that big. They'll also ride and stop like crap but most people who want rims that big don't care.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • bigbuck16bigbuck16 Member Posts: 10
    Go to cardomain and ask some of the members,some have 20's,22's and 24's on the LS.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3091913
  • antoniukantoniuk Member Posts: 8
    The stock width of the factory alloy's are 7.5" wide. Most factory alloy's were 17 x 7.5 or 16 x7.5. I would highly discourage you from going to a plus 3 set up. Your friends may think the 20"s look cool and maybe they look that way but the ride is going to be real rough and noisy too. Try going to a plus one I know you won't do it but I'll advise you anyway. Put an 18" rim with 7.5" width would give you the increased performance and still maintain a nice ride. Try a 18" X 7.5" rim with a 235/40 or 235/45. Or even keep the stock size rims upgrade the look and keep the 17" X 7.5" with 235/50 tires. Find a rim with a factory offset as close to stock as possible. Not doing so will result in reduced handling effectiveness, premature suspension wear and yes less performance. But don't take my advice just listen to all of your teenage friends and learn the hard way. Trust me I know what I'm talking about. Spend the cash on the stereo system instead. I highly recommend the Goodyear Eagle GT they ride much nicer than the stock Michelin's that the car came with. The tire is sportier and has a Z speed rated tire (ask for the 96w service code version), has a great grip and good water traction. It is also a quiet tire despite some gripes I've read on the forums. Handles very nice.
  • jahsdadjahsdad Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Lincoln LS with 225/35/20 tires that are rubbing and getting cuts on the inner walls. Are the tires too big? Or do I need new shocks because I have seen 245/35/20 on some Lincoln LS cars.
    I've got the Eagle GT's on my LS. 17" wheels. I'm happy with them, but they're rated as all-season but they don't work very well in the snow. I've seen the complaint about noise also but it hasn't been an issue for me.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    First, the 225/35R20's are too small from a load carrying capacity point of view. You want to get the load capacity issue right because a load related tire failure can have tragic results.

The fact the you have rubbing says there is probably something else going on - and I am going to guess wheel offset.

You need to find a retailer who will work with you to get this right - and not the guy who sold you the tires! This may be a bit expensive but it is cheaper than a hospital bill.
    The LS has an oddball offset. Different than most cars. I think most guys with 20" and higher wheels aren't turning them all the way because they will rub.
  • jahsdadjahsdad Member Posts: 3
    What is the correct 20 inch rim offset and tire size for a 2000 Lincoln LS?
  • rcalvinrcalvin Member Posts: 1
    I have 17x7.5 chrome rims on my 2002 Lincoln LS and they look great! Tires are 235x50x17, nice profile.