Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tahoe Z71 Whirring noise

ereddishereddish Member Posts: 2
About 2 weeks ago my tahoe started making a whirring noise. At first I thought transmission, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. My mechanic replaced the right wheel hub but that made no difference, the noise is still there. It almost sounds like a tire but I have 4 brand new Michelins with about 4K miles on them so a sudden whirring noise doesn't seem logical. The noise begins to be noticeable around 20 mph and then winds up with speed and winds down as I slow to a stop. The sound is not evident in neutral when I increase the engine rpms only when I'm rolling. Any advise? Thanks - Ernie

Comments

• tnchadtnchad Member Posts: 1
    My Tahoe is doing the same thing, only when I let off the accelerator and coast...

Any idea what to check? Thanks!
  • elburrito99elburrito99 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    My 2007 LTZ is doing the same thing. A high pitched noise that we can hear the most when the foot is off the gas. Dealer replaced the alternator, but the sound is still there. I've heard it may be the power steering pump. Will try that on our next trip to the dealer.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Elburrito99,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a problem with your vehicle. Can you please keep me informed on how the repairs go? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • nina99nina99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe 2door 4wd the service engine light has come on and now it wont go into reverse ? It start up just fine and will go in drive and neutral but makes a winding noise when you put it in reverse and just idles? Could this be something simple with the transmission that I could fix?
  • tca_tahoestca_tahoes Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I own the same vehicle, and of the all the other Chevy Tahoe/Suburban owners that I know of, none still have the original transmission (granted I do not know that many..10 perhaps). Mine died at 117K miles and I am of the opinion that the tranny was not really a chevy strongpoint, but this might be a biased opinion. That said, if it's still the original transmission, well....I am curious how many miles you got out of it :) Certainly an impressive length of service from my experiences.

That said, by no means am I suggesting that the tranny is your root cause in this case. In fact, my first thought was something with the transfer case, but I would defer to an expert, which I am not.
  • tca_tahoestca_tahoes Member Posts: 2
    Back on topic, I too have experienced the whirring noise in one of my Tahoe's. It was difficult to pinpoint the noise in the engine compartment at first, it sounded like it was coming from the alternator, however the noise is a common indicator of a failing power steering pump. I realized it was the pump while feeling around with a screwdriver handle simply setting it on things like the alternator, and when i hit the power steering cap, I knew I had the source due to the amount of vibration it was creating.
  • rd3rdrd3rd Member Posts: 1
    My '96 4WD 2-door Tahoe transmission lasted to 154,795 miles, then lost reverse & 1st gear in drive shifted late. I've towed MANY tandom axle trailers with cars on them over the years. Cost for a complete transmission overhaul; including new torque converter was $2300 w/12 mo.-12,000 mi. warranty. Transmission shop said it was a common occurance for Tahoes (especially 4WD) to have this problem after age. Was worth the cost to me to overhaul it (bought it from my sister in 2003 with 95,000 mi. - she was 2nd owner & pulled her 24' travel trailer with it) I plan on keeping it for a while right now!