Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Shudder at slow speed turns

jim701jim701 Member Posts: 5
edited August 2014 in Subaru
My 2005 Forester 2.5 with some 68k Kms recently started exhibiting a shudder when turning hard left or right at very slow speed such as when entering a driveway or exitting a parking spot. No vibration is evident during normal driving situations. Steering fluids, belt and steering rods were checked without result. A Subaru technician suggested changing fluid in both front and rear differentials which made no difference. Are there any suggestions as to where I should look next?

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Are you getting any slipping of tires? How about when you try it on loose gravel? I suspect a differential problem, but difficult to say for sure without further diagnosis. How did the old fluid look when you drained it?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jim701jim701 Member Posts: 5
    Tires do NOT appear to be slipping and turning on loose gravel makes NO appreciable difference. Fluid from the front box was very thin and runny presumably because it was warmed from engine heat and had a very small amount of filings attached to the magnet. The rear differential box had noticeably more (about 1 tbsp) of residue and the oil was thicker and 'gooey' by comparison. The replacement fluid was 80W90(?). The Subaru Tech said, "Run it for a few days and maybe it'll go away!"
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I've heard you drive in a figure-8 to "break it in".

Just from the frequency of complaints - have your front wheel bearings inspected.
    If the problem is a differential, it is likely the center. If it was front or rear, you would probably have slipping tires as the pressure in the differential built up.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fafordfaford Member Posts: 2
    The Sabaru dealership I went to told me this problem was due to the transfer clutch. did you get your problem solved? My 05 has 84,000.
    Thanks for your response and those previous. Have consulted yet another Subaru dealer who assures me that he is well aware of this problem, has already ordered the replacement kit to cure the issue and will undertake the job next Tuesday. The work will be done under warranty coverage of 60 months/100000kms (the car has 68000 kms). I will let you know the results as soon as it's done.
  • kangarookangaroo Member Posts: 2
    Only have 56,000+ miles. Transmission fuel was changed at 22,000 and 51,000 miles. Shudders when sharply turning wheels and reversing, using accelerator at 1mph. Also, shudders a little less so, upon braking from 40mph to 0mph. Dealership wants to change transmission fuel, but what else could it possibly be? Many thanks.
  • jerry1110jerry1110 Member Posts: 1
    Jim, what turned out to be the problem with the low speed shudder on turns? I recently bought a 2004 forester with 84K on it and it does the same thing.
    Jerry:

Subaru acknowledged the problem, ordered and installed a replacement differential kit and the problem disappeared.
    Jim - the rear differential?
  • marlyrmarlyr Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 2009 Forester. It seems that I think I have it all figured out but then I read something that makes me wonder should I buy a CRV or possibly an Acura MDX. They all look nice. I just want a great driving reliable AWD SUV. Any Thoughts?
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    I think the CRV and MDX have inferior AWDs that are don't begin to operate until slippage occurs.I don't think either handle as well as a Forester, and the MDX is a much bigger and more expensive vehicle.
    I was impressed by the power and handling of an Acura RDX that a friend has. It's a turbo so should be compared to the Forester XT Limited. Same size but about $5,000 more when new.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We're happy with ours.

If you want an MDX, I'd cross-shop with a Tribeca, which is bigger and more upscale.

Our 09 Limited PZEV has never been back to the dealership - perfectly reliable, knock on wood!
This discussion has been closed.