Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds - Top 10 Dead or Dying Models

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
The Day of the Dead is a time-honored Mexican holiday in which deceased friends and family members are remembered. In recent years, brutal market conditions have resulted in the death of many models, and even the wholesale demise of an entire brand.

Top 10 Dead or Dying Models

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    That's a nice list.

There are certainly vehicles that I expected better sales on.

Forgetting those top candidates for the moment since I'd have never have bought one in the first place, I'm amazed that the Entourage didn't catch on. I test drove one and was impressed as all get out for the value. It was relatively new at the time and the sales person made a big deal that there wasn't any discount to be had on these. Kept me from pursuing it further.

I don't get losing the Solara convertible. They tried that last year and brought it back by popular demand. If I had more loose money I'd pick one up.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    I had an Entourage demo for 3 months....great vehicle! Hyundai never advertised it. Also, it didn't help getting a 4 star safety-rating while the IDENTICAL KIA got 5 stars.
    Yeah, isn't that nuts?

The Entourage tried out was quite peppy and, for a minivan, was fun to drive. More so than an Ody. Failure of marketing.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The resale is horrid on both of them, Hyundai or Kia.
    A big reason I didn't want to pay anything near MSRP for one.

I wouldn't mind a 2 year old one at all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The rap on the Entourage was the gas mileage. It wasn't any better than what I got on my '89 Voyager. Lots of people complained that they only got around 15mpg around town.
  • bowtiefan1bowtiefan1 Member Posts: 25
    I'm sad to see the G8 (and Pontiac for that matter) go. The G8 GT is a heck of a car for the money and I feel like a teenager everytime I'm behind the wheel of this beast! What awesome power! Anyway, I wish that GM would reconsider bringing back the G8 under the Chevy or Buick nameplate. Like the Taurus SHO, there is a market for these cars! All I can say is get one fast before they're gone!
    I agree with you. I haven't the slightest idea why they are so determined to let the G8 die with Pontiac.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,676
    According to the EPA's website, the Entourage seems like it's in range of its competition...

Entourage 3.8 V-6: 16/23
    Sienna FWD 3.5 V6: 17/23
    Odyssey 3.5 V6: 16/23
    Caravan 4.0 V6: 17/25 :surprise:
    Caravan 3.8 V6: 16/23
    Caravan 3.3 V6: 17/24
    Quest 3.5 V6: 16/24 (plus it needs premium fuel)

For comparison, the most economical '89 Voyager was the 2.5/stick shift, rated at 18/26 (that was 21/28 on the original window sticker, to which a looser standard was applied). However, the V-6 models, which would be more comparable to today's models, were 16/22 with the 4-speed automatic and 16/20 with the 3-speed. And the engine they used was the Mistubishi 3.0.

So they really have't come a long with in fuel economy over 20 years, especially when you consider all the technological advancements, 5- and 6-speed automatics and such. However, today's minivans ain't so mini anymore. Some of them are pushing 5,000 lb curb weight. The Voyager/Caravan were around 3,000 lb when they first came out, but by 1989 they were probably heavier. Plus, in those days you could get a standard length (~175") or extended (~190?). These days, I think they're all around 200" or so. And they're about as wide as you can legally get before they have to be classified as medium-duty trucks.
    I keep hearing rumors that the G8 is going to get re-badged as either a Chevy or Buick. Hopefully those rumors turn into reality.

Personally, my vote would be for Buick, as the platform just seems to upscale for a Chevy. But, if Buick ultimately goes away, I guess Chevy would be the only choice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My '99 Quest's rating was lowered from 19 to 18 mpg/city. We get 21, lifetime, regular gas. Most of the reports over in the Entourage real world mpg discussion aren't encouraging.

My 3.3l is plenty peppy at 170 hp. I think the Sienna is more like 270. And likely quite a bit heavier.
    Is the Kia Sedona going away too? We were considering that van, along with the Entourage last year, but ended up getting an Odyssey. I thought the Kia and Hyundai were nice vans, but was able to get a good deal on the Ody and felt it would retain it's value better. The Ody has been a great van so far!
    The Sedona will still be around.

Oh, if I could get an Ody at a price competitive with a Sendona that's the way to go.

Actually when I was looking I had an 02 Ody with about 120K on it. I ended up buying an 04 Ody CPO to replace it.

I don't think anyone buys a minivan because of teh outstanding mileage...
    I don't think anyone buys a minivan because of teh outstanding mileage...

Yeah, it's because they're chick magnets, right? :P
    You betcha!
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    I read that a new Chevy Caprice police Cruiser will be based on, but not be a re-badged G8.
    The Chevy Caprice police cruiser will be based on a longer wheelbase version of the G8 (aka Holden Commodore). That model is called the Holden Statesman
    and it uses the longest wheelbase of the Zeta platform at 118.5 inches vs. G8's 114.8 inch wheelbase.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The Cobalt SS sedan is going away, but the coupe is sticking around right?

We need more cars like the SS.

While I was glancing at the write-up on the Cobalt, I noticed the XFE. I applaud the fuel economy, but is it true A/C isn't even optional from the factory?? Big no-no.

Some of these are a bit misleading - like the Z4 coupe is going away because the convertible is a hard-top. Not exactly the same thing I know, but close enough for the average consumer I bet.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Misleading is correct. I believe only one version of the new Malibu and Fusion actually beat the Camry in fuel economy. I understand they need to get consumer attention, but if the person buys a different version and is disappointed they risk credibility and repeat sales.
    Oh, the Chevy ads on gas mileage really do assume that you are an idiot.

I don't think I could buy anything Howie Long endorses....
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I don't think I could buy anything Howie Long endorses....

Maybe it's his "cop hair"? ;)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Ugh, those commercials come off as condescending, arrogant and just plain classless. And where the heck did they pick up the guy for the "cop hair" one? I was waiting for him to open up his jacket and offer Howie a deal on a stolen watch or something.
    I just tried to spec out a Cobalt, and it left me confused. However, here's how I interpreted it...

The Cobalt XFE is the base, stripper model. It doesn't have a/c, and also has taller transmission/transaxle gearing and lower-resistance tires and small-ish 15" steel wheels.

You can get a nicer LS or LT model with XFE badging, but you have to specify the manual transmission and 15" steel wheels with the low-resistance tires. However, an LS or LT is going to have a/c. So my guess is that they throw out those enticing numbers using the strippo XFE model, but if you get an LS or LT with XFE badging, it'll get somewhat worse.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I have a 2009 LT1 red coupe. I picked it up off the lot in the fall of 2008 when they had that Employees Discount. If I had ordered the LT2 I wanted it would have had the same discount a month or so later. In any case the LT1 is fine. I get around 23 in town and as much as 41 on the road- normally around 38. The car rides better than any similar size car I've ever driven and has been dependable. I frankly think that Chevrolet is stupid to replace a sporty coupe with the new 4 door sedan. When I replace it I'll look for another red coupe. The Cobalt was supposed to be the "international" car. CU always hated it -probably because GM built it - but now it has been forgotten and the new car will be the "international" car. What a load of BS -sounds like politics. As far as I'm concerned the Cobalt is a great city car and gets good gas mileage on the road. The seats are too short for long distance drives -your thighs down near your knees hurt after several hours because they don't have much support.. The bottom of the seat should be wider so as to give good support. My Cadillac is fine.
This discussion has been closed.