Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan CVT Warranty Extended for 10y/120k miles

j1huynhj1huynh Member Posts: 28
edited September 2014 in Nissan
http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

---------------------------

CVT Program DetailsDear Nissan Owner:

On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle's output to your driving style.

While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic.

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on your part. The remainder of your powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply. This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle.

Second, Nissan will reimburse customers who have previously paid to repair or replace their CVT, if the repairs would have been covered within the new extended warranty period. Even if you no longer own your Nissan we will reimburse you for past CVT repairs that would have been covered under this extension of the warranty.

Further, in the unlikely event that your vehicle's transmission should need repair beyond the extended warranty period we are working to decrease the cost of repair and have already reduced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of a replacement CVT. In addition, we continuously strive to enhance our products, and have made ongoing improvements to our CVTs over the years.

Nissan is taking these actions to demonstrate our confidence in the CVT technology and to show our commitment to stand behind our products.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

If you have previously paid for repairs to your CVT within the time and mileage limits of this new extended warranty, we ask that you download the Reimbursement Claim Form and follow the instructions on the site. If you have additional questions, please contact the Nissan CVT Customer Assistance Center at 888-388-0318. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting the Reimbursement Claim Form is July 31, 2010.

The extended warranty coverage for CVT repair or replacement is effective immediately.

If you seek coverage for a repair under this extended warranty you will need to bring your vehicle to an authorized Nissan dealer. The factory-trained technical staff at the Nissan dealer will have the diagnostic tools and knowledge to provide you with the appropriate service and submit your warranty claim. If you have additional questions regarding this program, contact the Nissan CVT Customer Assistance Center at 888-388-0318 for assistance.

At Nissan we and our dealers work daily to deliver an outstanding ownership experience that will earn your confidence and trust. We are committed to doing the right thing for our customers and look forward to a long relationship that you find satisfying and rewarding. Thank you for choosing Nissan.

Sincerely,

Kevin Martin
Vice President Total Customer Satisfaction

Comments

• whatmorecanyouwhatmorecanyou Member Posts: 4
    Dear Mr Martin and Nissan Officials.

This news is terrific and I never gave up the faith on my wifes Rogue.
    She loves this car and is her 3rd Nissan since 1970 (Datsun 510)
    and finishing with a 1997 Maxima, Then american and back to Nissan. Yes we were affected and had 2 replacement transmissions within 60 days. The first was
    a recon and not marked new. The second was marked according to the service people. The second transmission had an altogether different problem in the rear transfer case with a loud whine at all speeds.

The Rogue is the best fit and finish car with a wonderful suspension and fun to drive. The car is stable and firm on the hyway and about town. Best of all for retired folks you get in to the car NOT down into, and placing and removing items from the gate like groceries or garden supplies is a breeze.

Your action was heroic in the car industry because it negates the down the road issues with car trade in values and having used cars on the lots still damaging the reputation of what I believe is the right technology for transmissions. Prolongs the engine life and increases the millage by keeping the power ratios in the groove.

Your action will go a long way for the Nissan company and continue to excite people with innovations like the Rogue. When my wife lets me drive it I feel cool at 70 Vs the big boat lux cars I have been driving for years. It makes sense to me as a retirement car for all the reasons mentioned above. You have a winner and you will be seen as a winner of a company in these times. Continue the good work in the design and customer satisfaction area. Your dealer here in S.E. Ohio is the best and we take both our Nissan and Ford products for service to this shop in Zanesville where they sell both. They approached our problem with professional grace and are a reflection of the type of dealers Nissan needs. Other stories were not all as great as my experience at the dealer level.

Thank you once again for steeping up and taking the load off the real problem. Nissan is truly what a car company should aspire to being.

whatmorecanyousay
    Bob Germscheid, Zanesville Ohio
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Is Canada included with the wty extension? I would be very curious what the tranny failures were. Was it due to early morning cold weather operation you think?

And finally, what is the cost (Cdn please) now to buy a new CVT for a Murano, Rogue, Altima, Versa?

I almost bought a Rogue, but decided against it simply because there was no std tranny available. And what do you think is the THEE MOST COMMONLY mentioned ailment, no matter what car, truck, SUV etc is? You guessed it, the automatic transmission. So it would truly be confidence inspiring to learn that the CVT is actually more dependable than the other common autos. But is it? When I bought my CRV, they were still too new and not many vehicles had them with high miles on yet.

While your wty is impressive now, many people do drive in excess of 120000 miles before trading their car in. I find many failures around the 290000 to 340000 km mark (180000 mi to 211000 mi) on autos that offer not too bad a service history. Obviously many autos in cars who have known issues go out long before that and if you are lucky go out while still under wty. But here in Canada, our wty is extremely short compared to in the USA. A prime axample of this is with Hyundai or Kia. You guys get 100000 miles. We get 100000 kms, which is only 62000 miles. And as we all know, a LOT can happen in that last leg of mileage to 100000 miles.

So the cost of a replacement CVT in a.....let's say Rogue with 140000 miles on it and is indeed out of wty, is a good question I feel and one I bet others are wondering also.
  • jc2010jc2010 Member Posts: 31
    Mr. Martin: My husband and I purchased a 2010 Rogue 360 in April. At 1700 miles we drove this vehicle from NY to Maine only to experience a major issue. On the way to Maine our service light came on and our vehicle lost acceleration power after slowing or coming to a stop. We made it to Maine and the service light did eventually turn off. For the rest of our trip, one week, the light never came back on and the vehicle drove fine. On our way home, passing through Massachusettes, we got stuck. After passing a toll with ezpass, the car's acceleration was almost nil. While like a sitting duck in the road as cars passes us by, the acceleration soon increased. We pulled over to fill up with gas. As we were getting ready to get back onto the highway, we again, had almost no power. We could not pull onto the highway and if we did, would've been hit by oncoming traffic and would've been seriously injured if not killed, along with other victims involved. Nissan would've had a serious lawsuit on their hands. I put the car in reverse and back up into the gas station lot only for the car to have nil acceleration in reverse as well. After sitting and waiting for AAA to tow us to a Nissan dealer we passed on the road, however, issue with AAA not showing after a 2 hour wait, we tested out the accelaration and all seemed okay. We drove ourselves to the Nissan dealer. B/c it was already after 6:00 PM, all service techs were home. We had to pay for accommodations at a nearby hotel and wait for the morning. When the Nissan dealer called us, after looking at the rogue, they informed us that they saw an issue with the transmission and the fluid foaming up and not reacting correctly. The fluid was also very low. They advised us, after speaking with Nissan engineers, to drive it back to NY and bring it to a dealer near home. We dropped the car off at a dealer here in NY. They advised, as did the dealer in MA, that they are seeing this happen in other models. The dealer here first must detect this problem. My question is this...we are being told that this problem seems to happen after driving for some time...so, now a tech has to drive around in our car for miles in hopes for this issue to again happen. Once and if it happens, they will take it from there. What if they don't detect this problem. Are we stuck with an ongoing issue that seems to be a trend of Nissan's? Also, we are without a car. I refuse to pay for a rental car when this is a trend problem of Nissan's and a brand new car at that. Like I said, the car had 1700 miles on it when we left for maine and now only has 3100 on it after our trip. I am a commuter so the car is not used very much. The dealer may have our new rogue for some time and we will be w/o this vehicle. My previous car was a Honda and I had it brand new since 1992. I traded it in when we bought the rogue. I will never buy another nissan again and will pass this word on to friends and family if Nissan doesn't assist with this matter and does not reimburse us for what we are currently out. As well, give us the car that we are currently paying our hard earned dollars for in difficult economical times. Heck...I could've gone with Toyota...wouldn't have been any worse off after experiencing this. Sad thing is...vacation, for us, comes but once a year and b/c of this "new" vehicle, it made it a disappointing experience and more expensive as well. I have lost any respect for this company. I want this car fixed like it was brand new since that is what it is. I would appreciate attention to this matter!!!!
  • basskitcasebasskitcase Member Posts: 11
    This is the worst car buying experience I have ever had. And I don't expect a replay to this. As I have been brushed off by the dealer and Consumer affairs.Why would ? this be any different? I purchased a 2010 rogue the first week of aug. after 200 mi. it needed a new CVT transmission. This was only determined after replacing a,"coupler", rear differential, and after bringing in an"engineer" from Nissan they installed a new transmission. This noise came back though not as often. Now I feel that it is happening more and more frequently. I brought the car to Nissan and the mechanic said that the noise/vibration is normal. In fact my rouge," actually made less noise than the three he drove for comparison after replacing my transmission. Should I be happy about this? As for Nissan Consumer affairs(LOL). They came just short of telling me to pound sand. I'm fit to be tied here. Any ideas/input.

Thanks,
    How can I get in touch with you privately...off of this board? I'd like to pass some possible helpful info to you, but not on this board? Is there a way to pass me an email address, but again, not where it is posted?
    edited August 2010
    Can I send you my email or a contact number?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can set your email to "visible" in your community profile (link above and to the right). That will allow other members to see your email address after clicking on your user name in any message that you post here. That is safer than posting your email address in the Forum itself.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    If you click on my user name you will get my contact info. I look forward to hearing from you.
    I believe I followed your instructions and Im still showing up as private. What am I doing wrong?
    Click on the "Community Profile" link (top right of this page) and look for the "Display my e-mail address" item near the bottom of that page. Then click the "Yes" item. That should do it. Let me know whether that works.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    no it's not working I clicked display email address and agreed at the bottom
    my username @gmail.com
    It DID work! Your email address is visible in your profile. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    If you click on my user name you will be able to view my contact information.
    I got it...sent you an email..check it out.
  • whatmorecanyouwhatmorecanyou Member Posts: 4
    The only reason I am not having a fit is this car is a second car but still primary to my wife.
    Its happened again. After 15k miles on the 3rd Tranny in our 2008 Rogue AWD SL the marbles are back in force since it became warmer over the last month. Only now it continues in netural
    about every 4 stoplights. Sounds like the suspension is falling apart to people standing in the parking lot.

Its NOT the tranny CVT belt sounds like it is hitting the housing. Will an new programing fix it?
    I have been told NO by Nissan Expert. It had been reprogramed when installed.

The dealer is expecting to see and drive the car this week since during the cold weather the marbles seemed to fade. The dealer should hear the clatter now. Pedestrians do and heads turn when I make a turn.

Well we will see if Nissan steps up again to solve the problem again.
    I will let you all know the final outcome. I am sure it will be resolved and I might get
    lucky and get a flawless CVT.

My wife loves this car and so do I because of the sit, ride, easy rear gate load, and visibility.
    Everything else works just perfect including the bluetooth. Works better than our other
    car. whatmorecanyousay
This discussion has been closed.