Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    No, Epsilon is GMs way of using Greek letters to signify platforms. They used to have A-bodies, B-bodies, C-bodies, G-bodies, etc. For a while they went to numerical designations. Now they are using the Greek alphabet -- Epsilon, Sigma, Lambda, etc.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    whenever a platform is used all cars on that platform are going to be FWD/AWD or RWD/AWD. The larger epsilon is definitely a FWD platform.

GM actually stopped using the Greek names officially but everyone in the industry still uses them because its easier than saying "Global midsize car architecture" or whatever they say officially.

Thus far no versio of epsilon with a wheelbase longer than that of the Lacrosse has been confirmed. The Cadillac XTS concept had the same wheelbase as the Lacrosse.
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    Are the new Regal and the new Sonata comparable?
    They both have a base 4 and a turbo 4.
  • That question should start a real argument! The answer is yes and no. The Regal is looking to compete with the Acura TSX, the Audi 4, and the like. As such, it is a step above the Sonata class. However, it depends upon what you want. The Sonata offers more or less everything these others offer, but at a lower price point. You won't get the cache of an Audi or Acura with a Hyundai, but you can get heated/cooled seats, keyless go, and lots of other features that used to only be available on better cars. Drive them both and see what you think.
    In terms of specs they are comparable but the Regal definitely feels like a more expensive car inside. The Sonata actually has featues you cant get on Regal like push button start but the ambiance inside is more Camry than Regal or CC. It also comes down to exclusivity, the new Sonata is quickly becoming ubiquitous while the Regal is far more exclusive. People who are shopping for the most car for their dollar arent going to get the Regal over the Hyundai. I for one am not a huge fan of the Sonata's styling and I don't like that the SE model with the 18" rims and sports suspension cannot be combined with many of the features of the limited model. Its ridiculous that you cant get dual zone climate control on the SE model.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am not sure people looking at an A4, Acura TSX are going to go look at a GM Regal. lol. Nor, Sonata to a an A4 or TSX.

But, with all that said, you do get a lot with the Regal, a lot of features, but does it really drive like German? :)
    In europe the car competes with Passat, A4, etc. Its more German than any TSX will ever be. I'm sorry but I don't really consider Acura to be more prestigious than Buick. I know many disagree but Acuras are basically Hondas with more features, nothing more. The TSX is an entry level car for an affordable luxury marque- its not a Mercedes or Jaguar.

If you want a well damped ride, miminal body lean and nice steering weight than the regal is definitely German in nature.

Last month 1776 Regals were sold vs about 2300 TSXs. Considering the TSX has been around since 2004 I would say thats a pretty good showing - especially since the turbo isnt even on sale yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2010
    But now the very pretty Kia Optima, with more equipment than all the CCs, etc. is soon coming on line. Things will be shook up. Which is good. It will make the better cars even better. Competition is good. Pushing from down below is good. It is all good.
  • Umm...the TSX itself has been around longer than 2004. The new iteration has only been around two model years now.

But actually, it is the newest thing that usually sells the best (for a time limited period--until it is renewed again...or screwed up). The Regal would probably be outselling the TSX if it were more available than it is. If dealers had more, they could afford to deal a bit. As it stands now, they go for close to list, no lower.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    TSX and regal compete directly in Europe with each other and with Passat and Mondeo.TSX is European Honda Accord, it is not considered as a luxury car in Europe (as well as Regal). I do not think they really compete with Audi A4. In 90s A4 was competing in this class but since then VW successfully changed image for Audi. Some time ago I saw comparo test between all European "midsize" cars on German TV. Passat, A4 and Mondeo took first three places and Opel Vectra (Aura) and Accord (TSX) were last in the test with French in middle.
    Sorry, but the Kia's styling isnt for me. There has been a lot of chatter about how good the car looks but I'm underwhelmed. It does offer lots of features but I think its going to cost more than the Sonata. I do like the interior more than the Sonata, but I dont like it as much as the Regal's interior. Too much of an Audi knock off more me. The Koreans lack the styling refinement of the Germans and Americans. I'm not a fan of the Tuscon or Sportage either. Value is great, but thats always the case with Hyundai.
    The first gen TSX debuted as a 2004 model in 2003. One of my friends actually had one. The 2004 TSX was the first car with that nameplate in the US. Prior to that the entry acuras were the Integra and RSX.

Well I read that Buick dealers have close to 6k in stock so there are plenty of Regal's out there. I have seen numerous billboards and TV ads but I think they need to keep working to get the word out. Of course the other factor is that incentives are limited while most competitors are offering deals.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I'm cross shopping the Kia Optima and Regal. The Kia is the Sonata's sister car, same engine and underpinnings, different sheet metal and interior with a couple of more options.

I'm anxious to sit in a Regal once the turbo comes out and see what I think. I'm annoyed that they only come in dull colors though. Hoping there will be a nice red in the turbo edition but I havent been following it as closely as the Optima.
    Two colors were added after the initial palette was introduced.
    Which two? I'm looking at Buicks site and dont see red but there are images of it in red on the web. Looks good:

• kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    According to US News Rankings, the Buick Regal is the best upscale midsize sedan beating out the 3 series and G37.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Upscale-Midsize-Cars/

I admit that the Regal is a very good car for the price but is it better than the 3 series and the G?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited October 2010
    Well we all know what an authority "US Ruse & World Distort" is on the subject of automobiles... especially considering that their "reviews" consist of reviewing other published reviews.

Also, they're giving a lot of points for the turbo version, which isn't actually available yet.
    If you factor in price and space I can see why it would be considered better. Its not a better performer but most car buyers dont plan treat their luxury car like a slot car. Magazines that cater to enthusiasts tend to overvalue RWD and huge hp- in the real world people care more about styling, a luxury badge, dealer service and features. For the average buyer/driver I woudl say the Regal turbo is a better buy than a 3 series. A 328i equipped like a loaded Regal is probably $40k easily.
    Dont think Red is one of the colors added.
    well combining results from other reviews is actually a smart idea. They are saying on average, the regal is getting higher ratings than many competitors. They are not calling themselves car experts at all. The turbo will make the car faster but the styling, quality and handling are already present in the base car.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    That is the first time I've ever heard a BMW 3-series called mid-size.
    Its a compact per the EPA.
    Yeah, and it's a foot shorter than the Regal. Still, I could see some people cross-shopping the two, just as they might cross-shop the Acura TSX with either one.
    I can definitely see people cross shopping turbo with the 328i, TSX, C300, etc. Value wise you surely will get more for your money in the Regal turbo vs the German competition. The GS will be even better and still cost less that well equipped lower rung German entry lux sedans.
    I just priced up a 328i and A4 as closely as possible to a loaded $35k Regal turbo- $43k for the BMW and $41k for the A4. Both cars have memory and homelink for that price and the Audi has tri zone auto climate control but they are generally equipped with the same options. Regal has more space and trunks space than either car plus Onstar, music/nav HD and 19" wheels at that price.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Those pics are the GS model. I'm pretty sure there will be no change in appearance for the CXL.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

during a chat it was revealed that the GS would be revealed formally this fall and not at the LA auto show next month. That means we should be hearing something soon.

2012 Regal is supposed to get a lower trim level and remote start.
  • flacoman954flacoman954 Member Posts: 2
    Are there any Turbo Regals at dealers yet? Looking for a test drive ,perhaps at the auto show.
    supposedly november.

MT has the first performance stats for this car contained in review of Sonata turbo.

0-60 in 7.5 secs, 113ft braking from 60, .83g on skidpad and a faster figure 8 time than the 3400lb Sonata
  • flacoman954flacoman954 Member Posts: 2
    Hopefully , the South Florida Autoshow will have one at the GM ride and drive.
    Emailed the general and got a "duh idunno " in response.
    you can now build a Turbo on the website. That wasnt the case a few weeks ago. You might want to pose the question on their facebook site.
  • elvissselvisss Member Posts: 14
    i am in the market for a new car and i really like the regal i saw today, but i think the 12 models are right around the corner, maybe next month?

so do you guys think it is possible that the price will drop when 2012 models come out?

Should i wait a little bit (maybe only a month) to pull the trigger?

thanks in advance for your advice.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    As the purchasing power of the dollar is reduced the price will almost certainly rise as time goes by unless GM attempts to offset this by decontenting the car or using cheapened parts from Red China, which I hope it does not.
    hmm, i think you are talking long-term, and my questions is more about short term, 1 or 2 month... and my concern is where the price will go when newer models come out.
    Maybe you're thinking of the turbo variant of the 2011 Regal? Or possibly the GS version? I dont think the 2012's would be coming out in 2010, no. At least not that I've seen. Turbo is due out soon I think. No idea if that would make other models drop in price.

They are due to switch production of the Regal from Europe to Oshawa Canada. I think that's supposed to make it cheaper for them to produce so that might make a difference in sales. Last I read that was due to happen Q1 of 2011.
    2012s will be out in spring 2011 after model switches to Canadian production. The 2012s are about 6 months away IMHO. You have quite a ways to go. remember, the 2011 turbos arent even on dealer lots yet.
    GM will save money on production but I doubt prices will change, the cost reduction will lead to profits for GM. In fact, the most expensive regal (GS) wont show up until after production switches to Canada.

Based on the limited Lacrosse incentives that have been offered I wouldnt expect much for the Regal anytime soon.
    I notice that the lowest-level CXL Turbo includes the Comfort and Convenience package that's optional on the CXL non-turbo--including the power passenger seat and the rear parking assist. So the premium for the turbo engine itself is only $1655. Considering the 50% increase in peak torque, the turbo seems like a no-brainer.
    I agree, turbo seems to be the way to go with this car. Most reviews mention the added horsepower and torque are welcome additions too.

This car is still on my top 3 test drive list. I read good things about it, hope the prices are reasonable.
    Turbo premium is very close to what Hyundai is charging and what a V6 costs on the Malibu or Fusion. It's about what I expected. The good thing is you can get the Turbo equipped exactly as you want, there is no need to be saddled with features you don't need.
    will turbo ones be made in German or US?

somehow i feel like a German-made Car has better value.
    The only equipment I'd want is the Comfort & Convenience package, which is standard on the Turbo and optional on the base CXL. I'd also be interested in a manual transmission, but it's not a deal-breaker. The Buick website says the manual will be "late availability"--and my guess is that they'll only build them fully loaded.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Actually, I would say the German-made car has lower value as the cost of production is higher and the quality of assembly is no better than Canada, maybe not as good.

I test drove a couple of 2010 VW Tiguans (made in Germany) not long ago and the wind noise was horrendous.

The wind noise in the Canadian-built RAV4 and the Equinox are non-existent.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    I'm looking to replace a 2002 Altima and I wanted to give an American car a chance before I jumped on a Hyundai or Acura and I hate to admit I love the car. The car feels well built, the seats are very comfortable and I have lower back problems but the seat felt solid against my lower back and I liked that. The engine sounds good, the ride is quiet, just like a Camry, and the interior was nicely done. I was not able to push the car, too many cop cars around. The only problem I had was the center console with so many confusing buttons. I guess I will have to sit with a salesman and go over those buttons. even the person that accompanied me on the test drive was struggling to figure out what's what. Having said that, I still love the car. I drove a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and this car had a better feel and much quieter. The Sonata has a lot of road noise which is not my cup of tea. The Sonata was sleeker looking. I'm waiting on the Turbo to test drive then I will make my decision. The last GM car I drove was an 80 Chevy Camaro and a 96 Chrysler Concorde which was a very bad car, broke down every other month. I swore I'd never buy another American Car, However, I believe I will take a chance on the Regal. Hope I'm not disappointed. I never understood how the American car manufacturers Never got the NHV(Noise, Harshness, Vibration) message that people want quiet cars. They finally delivered with the Regal. It does not sound like a tractor.
    Turbo will be made in Germany for 2011 MY. No Regals will be made in the US, only Canada starting next year.
    No offense, but cars built in 1980 or in 1996 arent a good measure of modern American cars. Your last GM car was 30 years ago and its safe to say today's GM models have nothing in common with your old car. I would say American cars largely achieved parity in quietness by the late 90s- well as least GM. Chrysler was a little bit late to the refinemnt game. Today's American cars likely have less road noise on average than modern Hondas.

The Regal isnt really an "American car" anyway, its a European car being sold under the Buick name in the US. The regal is no more refined or quiet than the Malibu or CTS or Camaro or even Cruze. I had an Aura before this and it was actually quieter on the highway thanks to laminated side glass- which the Regal and the vaunted imports still lack. In the Saturn 80mph sounded like 60. I had a rental Altima for several days last year and the road and wind noise was much worse than my Saturn. If there is one thing GM takes seriously, its noise suppression- its one reason why their vehicles are heavier than their Japanese counterparts.

Center stack buttons are very easy to use and with steering wheel controls you dont need to touch most of them. It takes all of 15min to understand them.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    I agree with everything U said but I still believe the center stack is daunting when U get in the car for the first time. The test drive person and I couldn't find the fan blower for the A/C. I will figure the buttons when I buy the car. I looked at the 2011 Sonata and it's center stack is pretty simple and straight forward but I still prefer the Regal.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    I agree. A love the exterior of the new Regal. It's a sharp car and "right-sized" for today's market but the center stack is a low point for me. Maybe it's because it's all black, but it looks "busy" and unappealing to my eyes.
    It sounds like you are turned off by the # of buttons as opposed to the ergonomics. It has slightly more buttons than the average GM car (although not in comparison to CTS or Lacrosse) but its easy to use. ON a daily basis you are adjusting audio functions and HVAC functions- both are easy to master. The main reason it has more buttons is because the it has menu control buttons (config, back) on the center stack to control settings for the audio system and personalization features. GM cars with the blacktie radio had multiuse buttons under the display that changed function depending on what was in the radio display at the time. The Regal and other models with the new LCD readout has dedicated buttons and that lead to a higher button count.
    I test drove a regal rl1 yesterday and really feel the engine is underpowered, especially when going up hill, even in local street i could feel the car changing gear, sigh