Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    You are out of touch with reality and its a little scary.

Buick doesnt compete in the mass market with vehicles priced at $15k. Chevy only offers two products that start under $20k so suggesting that Buick should focus on the $15k-$25k price range is ridiculous. Buicks are supposed to cost more than Chevies on average, if you want cheaper transportation GM would be happy for you to buy a Chevy product.

No Buick will ever sell 300k a year. Luxury brands as a whole sell less than 300k units in this market so its ridiculous to suggest Buick needs a top 10 seller that will crack 300k annually. As I said, Buick is selling more vehicles than acura or Lincoln with only 4 models. The Regal adds two models next year plus the Verano is coming as well as the hybrid Lacrosse- look for more sales increases going forward. A new Enclave should be out in 2012 along with a 5 seat CUV.

Luxury brands are doing well across the board in 2010 so I dont understand why you suggest that GM needs to lower Buick prices to compete in this economy. MB, Lexus and BMW sell more vehicles than Buick and they are doing fine this year in spite of higher prices relative to Buick.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    First of all the bailout was $50B, not $75b and much of it has been paid back already.

I know that. But either you didn't read my post correctly or you haven't been following the last few years of GM's history. Do you remember when Rick Wagoner and the other 2 execs appeared before Congress Prebailout? Well check out that period of what other $ was thrown the Big 3's way.

The US is critical to GM's profitability and they made far more money here last quarter than they did in Asia.

And you're not just the least bit suspiscious that there weren't some 1-Time accounting games played for the IPO to look good, so the government could look good ... oh and coincidentally there was an election. It wouldn't be too hard for the non-public-GM to have upped fleet-sales to governement agencies at "higher-than-normal" prices, to increase profitability in N.A. Maybe not. But for those sorts of reasons government, politicians and business need to be kept as far as separate.

Your comments about GM needing another bailout are absurd and show you are clueless about the balance sheet of the New Gm

Really? If I'm clueless, then GM can repay the government in full today, right? Is that what you're saying Clueful? GM has so much $ they can repay the government and everyone they owe?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    This is WAY off-topic for this discussion. Those who cannot refrain or take it to the appropriate topic may find their posting privileges restricted. GM is not the topic of conversation, nor are other makes/models. While they may incidentally come up, an extended conversational thread isn't OK. Members who come to this topic for information about the 2011 Regal should have a reasonable expectation that that's what they'll find here, by and large.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I am trying, but I really don't get your point, kernick. I don't mean to be unfriendly or critical either. While you are right in that GM has not paid back all its debt, it is also true that if we had let GM and Chrysler go down, they would have taken Ford with them. Ford knew that and that is why they campaigned for the bailout, even though they did not take any money. Regardless, of whether or not you support any government bailouts, to lose all American car companies here would have meant the end of well over a million more jobs.

It also seems that GM got rid of a big part of their duplication, and their bad product, and have made a better turnaround in a shorter period than most of us expected. Buick in particular is going like gangbusters in China--and remember, there are a heckuva lot of rich Chinese now, who do not view Buick as damaged goods, but rather a luxury brand. Here, The Enclave, Lacrosse and Regal are a really good start, and Buick is making sales records and profits for a change. Do I want a Regal? After looking at it, no. But I can certainly see why it fills the bill for many others.

As for 4 cylinder engines, they are the wave of the future for many near luxury cars. In 2011, your only choice of an engine in an Audi A4 or A5 is a 2.0 liter 4, and that car (selling well for the market in which it competes) starts at $32K and ranges up to $50K. Buick will be offering two differently tuned direct injection turbos for the Regal, and hotter engines and AWD will likely follow once production is completely transferred to North America.

In any event, there is no reason you need to either like or respect the Buick brand, or specific cars like the Regal. You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to state it. But continuing to try convincing others to share your view that the car is not competitive, or should be less expensive than the competition, is just not going to get much purchase on a Regal forum thread where you find lots of people who are interested in buying one, or sharing their experience of owning one.
  • Sorry, kirstie. I saw your post after submitting mine. You said it very succinctly. Now, back to the Regal!
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-01/classified/ct-rides-0404-smith-bui- ck-regal-review-20100401_1_buick-regal-opel-insignia-general-motors-brand

Are they correct in saying, "But let's face it: In the U.S., Buick's demographics are the oldest of any major car brand." ? Anyone have statistics on the demographics for the Regal alone? Who's buying them, ex-Buick owners, or are people switching brands?
  • They are correct. Everyone knows that. The LeSabre and Park Avenue were almost solely built for the elderly whether Buick intended that or not...and rivaled the Grand Marquis for the most ancient average age. The Lucerne and previous Lacrosse really did not improve on that much. However, the article you cite is old and doesn't take into account who is really buying the Regal (or the Enclave or newest Lacrosse for that matter) now. Most blue hairs will have little interest in the Regal. After all, there is still the DTS, leftover Mercury GMs, the Avalon, the Impala, and so on.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Thank you Kirstie.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    From the C&D comparo of the CXL turbo:

".....It's as if Buick is experimenting with sports sedanhood, treading a little fearfully. Too bad, because all the right parts are present and accounted for. They merely require more massaging."

Now, while the car finished 3rd of 3, it was barely nudged out by the V6 Acura. I too, agree that GM has been a little conservative with the intros of new Buicks. I think I would have stuck with just the 2.0 turbo for the base, the GS motor for the next level, and used that 2.8 V6 or the Camaro's 312 hp 3.6 for the GS. The car's weight seems to demand it. But, if it's anything like my Lacrosse, the body must be rock solid, and worth the extra 300 lbs.

I personally don't believe, unlike other haters around here, that the car has to be perfectly superior in every way shape and form to be sucessful. It already has the basics to be sucessful, as well as appealing to an older crowd as well. I believe as they get feedback from consumers, they will quickly improve the cars. Look at the Lacrosse for 2012. ALL 4 cyl models are getting an inhanced belt/alt/starter system called e assist, and the base price moves up to about $30 grand. This should not only add value to the Lacrosse, but add value to the base Regal, as it no longer "competes" for sales in the mid to upper $20K range.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    Does anyone know when the Turbo will be in dealers showroom?
    I haven't seen one myself yet, but I'm told that some dealers have already received them.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I've only seen one non-turbo Regal on the road so far and that was a rental. I travel all over the country for work and keep looking but just haven't seen any yet.

When I first saw the Regal at the 2009 Chicago Auto Show I liked it, but it doesn't seem to be getting much attention in the market. I'm not a Hyundai fan but I see Sonatas everywhere. Not saying they're a better car, but they have a significant presence over the Regal.
  • Of course they have more presence. Again, the Sonata is significantly less expensive, and is designed to be a higher volume car. The base Sonata looks very much like the fully loaded Sonata that comes up to the lower end of the Regal's price range.

The Regal is being rolled out slowly, and production will be shifted to North America. In the meantime, there is not much incentive for Buick to push tons of them out the door. That would be old GM think. New thinking is it is better to make a profit on lower volume, especially in the near-luxury market. The Hyundai, as good as it is, is not trying to be a TSX/A4/Lexus IS/Saab 93/Volvo S60/Infiniti G 2.5, etc., or a Buick.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The Turbo Regal should be on dealer lots by the end of the year. We're about 4 weeks away. It will be the first quarter of 2011 before you see much availability though.
    The new strategy for Lacrosse helps regal a lot. Many people were concerned about price overlap between the two cars but that will be addressed next year. Lacrosse base price will be around $30k while Regal will start lower than the 2011 due to addition of lower model. That should leave 5 grand between base Regal and base Lacrosse which will help both cars. Plus, giving the Lacrosse exclusive tech will differentiate it more from I4 powered Regal.
    Hyundai is a lower end, volume brand. Sonata starts at $20k and Hyundai sells more sonatas than Buick (or Acura) sell models in a month. The two cars are NOT direct competitors regardless of what internet experts claim.

I have seen between 7-10 Regals so far in Philly. Saw a rental last week. Its a low volume car for now, but thats not surprising considering it doesnt have a V6 and launched with ONE engine.

TSX sales were almost 2700 last month and Regal sales were close to 2000. Volume wise, the Regal is targeting TSX and CC, not Sonata.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Hello Everyone!

I know that we discussed the Regal and its slight weakness in engine acceleration in the base 4cyl model. I am willing to lease the car. I got a quote for $360, $0 down, $0 due at signing, That is even considering my $1750 or so negative equity! I apparently have about $5,000 in incentives!!

The 2011 Jetta is what I really want,but it leases for $380 a month. The reason I was looking at the Regal is because it is so good in incentives now and my dealer pointed me there. I am willing to look at a loaded Mazda 3 for about $350.
    $380 on an SE is a bit too much.

What would you do? The regal has everything I want!! Though, the engine is what I am afraid of. I already drive a weak 08 G6 4cyl. I know the Regal engine is a bit revamped and I'm sure its an improvement, but not near as fun as the Jetta or Mazda3 which like to rev and drive!

Other than this, I really like the Regal! and I am 26. So Buick did a good thing!

Thanks so much everyone! I really need to bite the bullet and make a decision!
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Which package does this car have and what is the MSRP?
    I believe the Regal had the sunroof added. Thats it. So nearly $28k.
    The Jetta was about $21k and its payment was higher!!
    The Mazda 3 loaded was about $350 or so.

So if I leased the Regal then I would be sacrificing the engine for the features it has. I really want a fun and fun driving car this time.
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    I too am looking at the Regal, and have a bunch of money I can apply to the lease.

There is the $2500 lease incentive, plus a $1000 Conquest Rebate I qualify for, plus another $1000 rebate from Ally Financial for coming from an Ally lease, plus $1000 GM card money, plus $500 GM Card Bonus Money!

The problem is I want the Turbo, and it is not out yet.

For your situation, the only other car I would suggest looking at is the Maxima. They are selling significantly under MSRP, and the lease program (at least last month, have not seen this month), is very good. So a base SV would lease just about the same as the Regal.

Do you know, or can you ask, what is the residual value for your lease, and how many miles year/months are you looking? I'm trying to verify CAR_MAN's residual numbers.

Thanks!
    Yes, there are a lot of incentives, however I want to make the right move on a car. I want an engine that is going to be efficient and quick. I am not sure of the residual. I am doing a 12k, 39mth.

It really is frustrating as to what to pick. I am currently going over my miles on my lease now, so I need to make a choice.

I am choosing to stay with my current dealer as the sell GM and I get a discount through them that way. They sell VW, Mazda, Buick, Cadillac, Ford, Mercedes, Audi. So I really have a few options. I like the Mazda3, but a bit small for my liking. But, a lot of fun! Tons of features.

I need to take the Regal out again! See what I think on the interstate. IF it lacks power like my G6 big time...Then No!
    Buick just announced a lease deal on the Regal and it seems worth considering.

The Regal is only a little slower than the Jetta- about .7 secs according to C&D's test number- that isnt a big deal- especially when you consider the Regal is 500lbs heavier.

The regal's engine actually redlines higher than the Jetta and handling appears to be a wash between the two. The regal has FAR more equipment including leather, 12 way drivers seat, dual zone AC, larger wheels, etc.

I know someone who is about 23-24 who is interested in Regal as one of his options for a new lease.
    The Regal's acceleration is on par with other midsize sedans and compacts with automatics and four cylinders. In other words- its not a fast car. My brother has a Mazda3 with 5 speed auto and its not notably faster than the Regal. It doesn't appear you are considering any genuinely "fast" options so the Regal shoudl be more than acceptable to you.
    The turbo should be available within weeks, if its not already on the ground. It was available for ordering back in September so the first cars should be here very soon.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    If you want fun - buy Mazda3 or new Focus. Forget about Jetta - it is discontented and unreliable car and according to reviews is not much fun to drive. Regal is too big and too weak for fun I guess. I have older Ford Focus with 2.3L engine and it is real fun and real fast.
    If you're looking at a mid to large-size sedan and want some power, out of those vehicle brands why not consider the Taurus which is 6 cyl? You also didn't mention the Mazda6 which again has a 6 cyl. option. When a vehicle is approaching 4,000 LB no thanks on the 4 cyl. I had a rental Dodge Avenger with a 4 cyl. this year and that size car is a dog with that size non-turbo engine. (I hate not having more-than-adequate power to get on freeways).

Speaking of Dodge and such. Chrysler is launching a new vehicle in the Regal size and power, and Chrysler has always been marketed near-luxury. The Chrysler 200 starts around $20K for a 4 cyl., which is not bad, and has a 6 cyl. option of around 290hp. So it looks like competition in the mid-size market is getting much thicker.

Oh, if you want to spend $30K+, I saw a Taurus SHO with about 5,000 miles on it, selling for about $30K. You may not be able to afford a brand new one, but a lightly used one might be the ticket!
    edited December 2010
    The Regal lease deal might be a reaction, to this, if true. This was posted over on the GM news forum. So a "GM sale" is nothing more than a sale to a dealer? and the true customer sales may not be known?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/12/is-gm-back-to-channel-stuffing/#comment- - s

Why the deal on the Regal if it's a new, hot model? of an exciting brand?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    If you're accustomed to a Focus you won't find the Regal slow.
    You probably never drove Focus with 2.3L engine. Just drive one and then we talk - it will leave Hyundai with turbo engine in dust.
    After reading all these political diatribes and arm-chair expert opinions I decided to test drive and compare how these two cars actually feel in real life. Well not in real real life but in short test drive. I drove them on streets and freeway so I think it is enough to come to some conclusions. Following is my short review.

So - Sonata with I4 turbo and top of the line (almost) with moon-roof, navigation, premium Infinity audio system and so on versus Regal with 2.4L, moon-roof, but no navigation and basic audio system. Sonata sticker price was about 30K and Regal's about 28K. I estimated that Regal equipped similar to Sonata will have 4K premium. Will it worth it?
    Exterior - Buick wins here by big margin. In person it looks like true luxury car. It has presence and that Teutonic tautness - quality which appeal to luxury car buyer. It is tight, solid, elegant and clean from any side. Sonata looks more like mainstream car, still more interesting than most FWD midsize cars, but somewhat similar to say Chevy Malibu, i.e. - not premium - not like VW. It is looks lower than Buick and most other midsize FWD cars, but has busy lines, too many wrinkles and surfaces. Front looks outright weird, back has too may stuff going on - i.e. is not clean. Anyway despite some saying it look like Lexus - it does not. It looks like nothing else on the road but you cannot mistake it for premium or luxury car.

Interior: Sonata feels more tight inside compared to Regal. I like interior design of Sonata - it was main the reason why I attracted to this car - it is more interesting looking and unusual than in any other mainstream midsize car I know. But again - it is not a Lexus quality. Buick's interior is less avant-garde but it is cleaner and has higher quality. Materials used inside Regal have more premium feel, but not up to Audi level. Steering wheel is higher quality and better shape on Regal than on Sonata. Sonata's steering wheel feels more ordinary - nothing special and some parts feel and look cheap. E.g. cover looks detached from steering wheel itself - kind of floating - esp if you look from passenger seat. Regal's interior even smells better. But it is all subjective. You may have different impression.

Audio system - I am not impressed by Infinity system installed in Sonata. Regal's even though being base level still sounded cleaner and more premium. Evidently even on premium audio option Hyundai tried to cut costs.
    edited December 2010
    I just read your 2 posts, and I do agree with you that most of what you said is subjective criteria. And I didn't really see where you discussed "the driving part" of your test drives. It sounds more like you saw each model at an auto-show?

Where do you live such that there are Sonata turbo-models are available?

I've test-driven a Pontiac Solstice GXP that had a 2.0L turbo. Is that the same engine in the Regal? I didn't buy the Solstice GXP as I was disappointed in the way it drove - I think it was more the numb handling, but the engine didn't really compensate by being exciting.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for steering us back into Regal-ville. Some of the off-topic posts were removed - last warning for individuals who saw disappearing posts. Put it down to "holiday spirit" that I held off this time.

Posts about the 2011 Regal are like a little sip of eggnog... warms my heart. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

kernick, turbo Sonata just arrived week ago to dealership in Silicon valley.

Sonata claimed to have state of the art I4 turbo engine. It indeed feels refined and powerful - compelling replacement for V6 engine. How reliable and enduring it will be in the long run given Hyundai's reputation of building cheap throw-away cars (I actually have the same concern about Opel) - is the different story. But there are problems too - it feels jerky: you press gas pedal a little - car does not move, you press it little more - car jumps forward. May be it is turbo thing but it creates nervousness and it is serious - this alone may eliminate Sonata from my shopping list. In other words it is difficult to modulate power delivery. It does not have smoothness of Lexus-Toyota. Gear selector is too small and difficult to handle - I actually liked it what saw Sonata for first time on SF auto-show - it looked so cute and did not take too much of precious space on center console, but in real life it is a hassle to use it. It is a personal note though and not a deal killer - you may get used to it after some practice.

Regal's normally aspired engine is kind of let-down. Regal looks like luxury car until you turn on engine. Engine sound has some plebeian quality to it in stark contrast of luxury image that Regal's appearance projects - I could not believe my ears when sales person turned on the car! Gear selector is pleasure to use though, it also has a manual mode, but I had no opportunity to test it. Engine power delivery is not as jerky as Hyudai's - it is rather lethargic. During city driving it is not a problem, but on freeway - you press gas - and nothing happens - then after second or so car somehow accelerates. It might be transmission problem, or weight is too much for engine to handle. It reminded me Toyota Carina with 1.6L engine I drove in late 90s - to pass a car on freeway I had to floor gas pedal and wait and wait. You do not have to make this kind of sacrifice in America though where V6 is the norm. Said all that I will wait for turbo engine to make the final verdict because.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    The 2.0 turbo in the upcoming Regal GS is exactly the same engine that was in the Solstice GXP, minus 5 ponies. I think the regular Turbo is simply a downgraded version of the same motor (either smaller turbo or less maximum boost).
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Will the new Regal Turbo require premium fuel?
    According to the Buick web page, premium fuel is recommended but not required.

I also noticed that the Turbo has a different auto trans than the normally aspirated car. The Turbo uses an Aisin trans, while the regular car uses a HydraMatic 6T45. The Aisin trans uses lower-numerical ratios for each gear, which may explain why the performance of the Turbo is a bit disappointing. But I have to think with 70 more lb-ft of torque, it would have to be a lot more responsive.

I see that my dealer now has a few Turbos in stock. Maybe I'll see if I can drive one over the next while.

With any turbo motor, it's best to use premium. With all the extra air forced in by the turbo, it is easier to induce knock or detonation, which is not good for the engine. A higher octane will keep that from happenning. The only turbo I've ever seen that doesn't recommend premium is the Sonata. I'm actually curious to know what they did different to be confident in the use of 87 octane.
    How can you say no thanks on the 4 for the Regal and then recommend a 173hp 200 with a 4 speed automatic? The 200 is a much improved car but its NOT going to be a fast car nor will it be on par with regal in terms of handling or features. The 200 will compete on price and is aimed more at the Sonata than the Regal. It starts at $20k vs $27k for the Buick.
    edited December 2010
    I will repeat this again- in spite of all the complaining and exasperation over the Regal's acceleration its ON PAR with similar cars. In fact, edmunds just tested the Optima EX and 0-60 was 9.1 secs- keep in mind this is for a car with 200hp and 200lbs less weight than the Regal. IL tested the 2011 Accord with auto trans and 0-60 was 9.2 secs. The Kizashi has 185hp, weighs less than the regal and still needs 9.1 secs to hit 60. The Regal is slow- just like many other cars with I4s in this market. NONE of them have ample passing power in naturally aspirated form. Since I actually have the car I can tell that in normal driving its a non issue. If you need to accelerate on an incline or pass a truck quickly its definitely as issue since there isnt an ample reserve of power, but this is the case for most vehicles with this kind of power.

I got an inquiry about my car after parking it yesterday from a guy who appeared to be in his 30s. He said he wanted to test drive one. Also passed a Regal a few blocks from my house yesterday.
    You know, engine power on the interstate is my issue with the engine. I know that in my current 08 GM 4cyl engine it really struggled to get through a hill. It was actually quite bad. My 06 Accord 4cyl did not struggle that much, seemed to have more guts. Some 4cyl engines seem to have more power than others, but when compared on paper they are so similar. If the Regal is able to have that oomph like other 4cyl engines than it would be a no brainer for me to lease one.

Looking at it now, I am almost willing to lease the new Regal and gain style, tons of features, but yet again lack the engine power and fun. Though it does drive really nice, the turning ratio is great!! The whole package is great, the quality is great! I am very impressed. It is the engine that turns me away. I am actually scared to be stuck and unhappy with it. This is a car I'll have for 3yrs.

Anyone know if white is available with black interior?
    The regal has 172lb-ft of torque and a relatively flat torque curve for a four cylinder engine. In comparison the Accord has 161lbft and likely a peakier torque curve. This is one reason why the Regal isnt really slower than cars that have similar or more power and less weight. The DI and gearing keep the car competitive in terms of accelertaion. I doubt a Regal is any faster than a G6 I4 but you arent going to be storming up any steep hills with any four cylinder unless is got a turbo strapped on. If your old Accord felt faster it was likely because it was lighter. The 2006 Accord only had160hp if I remember correctly so it wasnt exactly a powerhouse.
    Good points. Plus my G6 4cyl only has 4 speed in the auto, No sport mode. The Regal has 6 speeds. I would be able to manipulate its power using the shifting method on certain terrain. I am sure that would help out! I actually just now thought about that feature. It would be much nicer that way. I need to take the car out again.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The Chevy Cruze 1.4T also runs fine on regular and does not recommend premium. Lower boost pressure helps these engines run well with 87 octane. We'll be seeing this more and more in the near future - turbo engines that do not require premium (91 octane) fuel that is.
    Interesting. I did not know that about the Cruze. I'm sure the high pressure turbo in the Regal GS will not like regular. The Sonata's turbo is not a low pressure unit though so I wonder how it manages to run fine on regular...
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    ".....I know that in my current 08 GM 4cyl engine it really struggled to get through a hill. It was actually quite bad."

Don't forget, the G6 was a lower hp version of the 2.4L. The Regal has the 181((??) hp version that is also found in The Equinox.
    the 6 speed automatic helps quite a bit. The Equinox FWD is about 3800lbs and still manages a class competitive 0-60 time of 8.7secs thanks to the DI and tranny. The G6 I4 was never tested to my knowledge but the Malibu with the 4 speed was timed at 9.3 secs or so if I remember correctly. A 6 speed Malibu was around 8.6 secs. I'm pretty sure the Regal will feel faster than your G6 or your old Accord.
    How can you say no thanks on the 4 for the Regal and then recommend a 173hp 200 with a 4 speed automatic?

Where do you I see I "recommend" it? here's the exact wording.
    "The Chrysler 200 starts around $20K for a 4 cyl., which is not bad, and has a 6 cyl. option of around 290hp. So it looks like competition in the mid-size market is getting much thicker."

What I'm saying is that the Chrysler 200 gives the buyer of a 4-door sedan, a choice to get certain functionality - midsize, adequate transportation for $7K less. Sure the Regal is probably better in features, but if you all want is transportation from Pt. A to B for 5 people. So no I'm not recommending it, I don't know enough about it; I'm just pointing it out that the market just got that much more crowded.

I'd guess the Chrysler 200 with the 6 cyl. is going to be typically optioned and priced near the Regal.
    This a conclusion of my comparison of Sonata and Regal.

Steering is where Sonata really fails short. It is void of feedback especially on center, I would say it feels empty, and in general it does not have that smooth refined feeling of Camry or Regal. Regal's steering is light and refined but unlike Camry it is also precise and provides nice feedback. In other words - when driving Buick you do not pay attention to steering because it feels natural. With Sonata you feel sometime emptiness like in computer game. Buick's steering wheel itself also feels expensive and well contoured, while Hyudai's is kind of flimsy and mainstream.

Regal handles and feels like German car - solid and expensive. Sonata feels more like Asian car - not very exciting and kind of tinny. Regal is quiet and stable at freeway speeds, Sonata is noisy and nervous. In some aspects Sonata reminded me Chevrolet Malibu and probably for a reason since Malibu is an actual competition for Sonata, not Regal. But Malibu is more fun to drive than Sonata and it has better chassis too. If to compare Sonata to Fusion - Fusion feels like more upscale, premium car - it is more refined, handles better, steering is better and it is quiet and feels solid at freeway speeds. In other words platform used by Ford is better engineered than one used by Hyudai.

I would rather compare Regal with Fusion or Lincoln MKZ, and Sonata with Chevy Malibu. Hyudai still has to do its homework regarding steering and handling to be able to compete with big guys. Of course Ford engines are better than 2.4L on Regal or may be Fords simply have less weight to carry around or better transmission. But where Regal really shines is exterior design and quality and design of interior - thats where Ford falls short in both Fusion and MKZ.

If to compare Regal and Sonata in one sentence: the difference is similar to difference as between FWD Audi A4 and Acura TSX - you decide which one you prefer.

So I am skipping Sonata because of steering, chassis and nervous turbo engine and Regal with 2.4L for apparent reasons. My next step will be trying out Regal with 2.0T and comparing it to Infiniti G2.5L. I will report then about my findings.
  • You drove a different Sonata than I did. The Fusion is a decent car (the MKZ is too, though it is too much like the Fusion to justify its much higher price), but it is not significantly better nor more quiet than the Malibu, nor even the Sonata for that matter. The 4 cylinder presently in the Fusion is one of the weakest in the mid-size field. Ford has better engines, and I suspect one will show up in the Fusion soon. But it isn't there yet. Get one of the V6s, if you want the Ford. For myself, I found the FWD A4 and the TSX to be quite comparable. IMHO, the A4 quattro is superior to the TSX, but I could see a person go either way with the FWD version. The Infiniti G 2.5 is a really great car for the price.