Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    The difference between A4 and TSX is what you feel when you close the door - they are not in the same league. In A4 you feel quality,substance, refinement and so on. TSX feels more like premium car like Regal - it is not as solid and does not ooze quality as A4, even though Honda makes excellent engines.

When I drove Sonata it did not have same quality feeling as Regal or even Fusion. Having nice interior and powerful engine (difficult to modulate power delivery though for my taste) is not enough to qualify for premium status. BTW I am not considering Fusion - too much bling outside, dated and cheap interior design sucks. I would rather prefer Lincoln but I think it is not there yet for the price. Ford evidently saved money designing MKZ, it simply does not look like serious focused effort, like say A4 or CTS. It feels essentially like Fusion with better interior and exterior. But even MKZ exterior being more elegant than Fusion's still has the same quality of budget car. When you see Regal you immediately recognize it is a premium (or even may be luxury) car. And there is I guess reason for that. Opel always was a budget car and savings were evident everywhere including interior and exterior. But apparently GM decided to move Opel upmarket to compete with VW for Chevrolet to take its place. New Regal is more upscale than previous Opel Vectras which always had an appeal of rental car (see Saturn Aura e.g.).
  • You misunderstand me. Of course Sonata is not a premium car. Neither is the Fusion. The Sonata seems to me a better overall popular mid-size than the Fusion. Fusion needs an updated body, interior and a better 4 cylinder engine in order to best the Sonata. Neither are going to satisfy if you must have a premium car v. merely having the premium toys.

The Acura TL is more competitive with the A4, but the A4 has also positioned itself to compete with the TSX by limiting its 2011 engine choice to the 211 hp 2.0 liter 4...a great little engine, but not directly comparable with Mercedes and BMW engines.

I don't see what you see with the Regal. It is a nice car, has a nice interior, but it is hardly a standout. And after seeing the exterior a few times, the styling strikes me as relatively plain and somewhat derivative. That said, it should hold up pretty well for the next few years. To me, Regals get lost among the Lacrosses and Chevrolets at the Chevrolet-Buick-GMC dealer where I examined them closely (not to mention Maximas, Infiniti Gs, even Altima from some angles).

Beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder. I still am attracted enough to the current A4 even after 3 model years (09,10, 11) that I am considering pulling the trigger there. Regal could still entice me if it shed a few pounds, or eked better mpg out of that 4 cylinder.
    I also consider Infinity G25. It may be direct competition to Regal except of being RWD. It has similar price, less features (no nav e.g.), 220 hp engine and 2600 lb curb weight - exact match with Regal, but it is smaller car. I do not like much design direction Infinity took, but have to test drive G25 to decide. I still think that Infinity is superior to Sonata no matter how much hype there is about Hyudai these days (and Ford as well). Nissans are too mainstream, boring and aged to seriously consider, let alone they are unattractive to put it mildly.

Also notice Volvo S60. It is small car - a little bit bigger than Ford Focus but much smaller than Regal and did you notice how much it weights (and costs)? 3548 lbs FWD 2.5L version. Another overpriced and overweight European car and looks ugly too. At least Regal is bigger. Man, why there are so many ugly cars in showrooms? When this wierdness will end?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2010
    Of course the Infiniti is superior to the Sonata. Only one is a premium mid-size. And I think the 2012 Volvo S60 is an attractive car. The roofline is not unlike the Regal's. It's wheelbase is longer than the Regal's but the overhangs are tidier than on the Regal. It is more the size of the A4. But the Regal and Volvo are certainly competitive with one another, although the Volvo powerplants at 250 and 300 hp are superior.
  • overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    I dont think the Regal resembles anything on the road today. If anything it reminds me of the A6 from the early 2000s. The wheels are very similar to what was offered on the old A6. The regal looks nothing like a Chevy, Altima, Camry or much else. You definitely seem to have a negative view of the car overall. It sounds like you werent a fan before you looked at the car and really had little interest in it in the first place.

The fusion was redesigned for 2010 so I'm not sure how you can say it needs a new exterior and interior ASAP. It's relatively new and its sales are pretty close to that of the 2011 Sonata.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited December 2010
    What's an Infinity? :confuse: :sick:

By the way, it's funny, what you said about Nissan is what people have said about Buick for many many years. I would say the same thing about the Lacrosse myself. The new regal is the only one that looks appealing to the eye.
    Infinity is a premium audio system in Sonata but it does not sound great - in Sonata you can easily see where they cut costs. There are no miracles - if car costs much less - there is cost cutting going somewhere. In Regal GM did it evidently with engine and not using light-weight materials, like aluminum which luxury cars normally use to reduce weight.

BTW I just got my MT COTY copy. Both Regal and Sonata are among COTY finalists. You cannot beat Sonata for value but they did not like 2.0T , steering and chassy. They preferred 2.4L I4. The reason they explained 2.0T harsh sound and lack of refinement. On Regal they did not like either engine and transmission but said that it has the best interior materials quality among other cars.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    It sounds like the main thing you're into with vehicles is style and materials? I'll give you that the Regal exterior looks nice and the interior sounds nice, but I said the same thing about many vehicles when they first came out. So if I want those attributes I can go buy a used Lincoln for under $10K that meets those requirements.

To me the main thing about a vehicle is - how does it drive. Braking, acceleration, cornering, and traction; at least in anything above an entry-level vehicle. Utility follows those things as a consideration. I would put styling and materials near the bottom of what's important in a vehicle. I'd rather retire a couple of months earlier then spend extra money for style.

So this is why I don't really see the Regal as being anything new and exciting for Buick. It's a nice, expensive, but dynamically boring vehicle without much utility.

I compare vehicles by size, performance, and functionality, and that is why I see comparable vehicles out there for much less $. If you're going to spend $30K on a vehicle at least get something with close to 300 hp or will tow a trailer.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    If you'd rather retire earlier, you have no business buying new cars in the first place, regardless of price point.

Your criteria would rule out all premium brands, not just the Regal. There is a significant market that does not see things the same way. Not saying which is right and which is wrong, if any. Makes one question why you are posting on this board though.

Sounds to me like you haven't actually driven the Regal in any event.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• You definitely seem to have a negative view of the car overall. It sounds like you werent a fan before you looked at the car and really had little interest in it in the first place. Au contraire, my man. I eagerly looked forward to the Buick being released, and I still think it will do Buick very well. As I said before, I don't see what you see in it, and there is nothing wrong with that. As you well know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see no marked resemblance to earlier A6s. Certainly the roofline and rear door cut outs are quite different. You look at wheels perhaps more than I do when I see a car. Anyway, why assume negative intentions when there are other explanations? You like to be scrappy, maybe? Nothing really wrong with that either, even though I prefer to get along. My opinion is only my opinion. I have no intention of trying to make it yours. Relax.

The Fusion was not new in 2010. It was a mid-cycle refresh. Although the interior was upgraded, the grill modified a lot (more bling added), and the rear end and tail lights tweaked, it is the exact same body (not just the hard points and dimensions, but doors, windows, roofline, wheel cut outs, etc.) as the car introduced as a 2006 model in 2005. Nevertheless, Ford does not need to do anything more with it immediately, since sales are going very well. I have always loved Fords, but given the number of terrific mid-size cars, I might not choose it over some others.

Ford really called it right by not taking the bailout funds. Lots of new customers came as a result of that, and so what if the car bought isn't the absolute best in its class? All the Fords right now are competitive and worth owning. With the exception of the Ranger (before your hackles go up, I've owned three of them, but marketing this old slow pig without significant changes since the 1993 and 1998 refreshes--and remember the platform goes back to 1984--in 2011 is sort of like deciding to continue the Crown Victoria...which thankfully is no longer in showrooms).

Anyway, the Sonata is popular and it has garnered many deserved accolades. But it was obviously not designed to compete against A4, TSX, Regal, S60, G2.5, not to mention BMW 3 series. If posters here point out that cars like the Sonata and 2011 Optima and Kizashi, etc. offer more toys for the money, it is just a fact and something to take into consideration (if you want to buy a near-luxury ride, rather than a plebeian mid-size like the Sonata). Overall, all cars have gotten so much better that some people will be satisfied with saving a few thousand and having what they want, even if no one points at it and says wow. I love that you love Regal. You are not alone, and GM may survive as a result. And that as Martha says is a good thing.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    edited December 2010
    No, I could see spending the $33K or so for an Infiniti G37 with over 300 hp. Luxury and power. And you have the option of AWD for slightly more.
    I don't see anything premium in the base 4-cyl engine, or in their turbo which I've test-driven in a Pontiac Solstice GXP, a lighter vehicle, where it is still nothing exciting.

I'd think the Regal could at least have an engine like the V-6 in the Mustang, giving 300+hp and over 30 mpg highway, in about the same size vehicle. That is not even a premium vehicle, selling for $22K. What's the fully loaded Regal costing? Come on ... the "young-man, sporty" Regal gets smoked by a base Regal at any stoplight.

I would like to see U.S. auto companies succeed. But they're not going to do it by investing a lot of money in a low-selling vehicle. Chevrolet has nothing selling in volume, that doesn't get a large percentage of its sales from fleet-sales. I thought maybe Buick would change, and get some sales and profit here in the U.S., instead of being a Chinese brand. GM needs some "homeruns" in the market. The Regal justs happens to disappoint me, when I'm expecting a better and less costly vehicle then other vehicles in that size vehicle.

So I have a negative opinion, you have a positive opinion. Both sides of the coin being discussed here. If you want to negate my opinion, make a case of why the Regal is great. I think people who are considering a Regal ought to hear both sides; this isn't cheerleading camp.
    There is no point in arguing. You clearly have a view and nothing I can say can change that regardless of the argument I might make. Send you dollars across the Pacific and let the rest of us make decisions based on things other than outdated preconceptions.

• eddiefasteddiefast Member Posts: 16
    Had our Regal almost a week now. Think it's great. Nice ride, feels very european. I have owned 3 benzs and my wife has had 3 CTS's. Last one being a 2008.( MSRP $ 39,000).

This Regal is not that far apart from the 39k CTS. And at 255 a month for a 28K car, with 2500.00
    down, for 38 months I think that's a terrific deal for us. Sun roof,heated seats,leather,bluetooth, 18 inch wheels, etc. Fit and finish are very nice and I like how quite it is compared to the Sonata.

We will see how everything works out, but so far we love our car.
    apparently you havent driven or read anything about the vehicle. The dynamics have been universally praised. If anything, the engines are the main source of contention. The 2.4L has been called barely adequate while the turbo has been called adequate but not exciting. The steering, handling and braking have been loved by the auto press. If you dont care about style and interior quality that would explain why you don't like the Regal much.
    1. You cannnot get a G37 for $33k. A G37 equipped like a loaded Regal turbo is around $40k. Is the car faster for that extra 5 grand? Yes. Not everyone will feel $5k is an equitable price to pay for more acceleration- especially when the cars are pretty evenly matched in size, quality and handling
    2. A base Mustang is much more sparsely equipped than a base regal and the Mustang is competing in a totally different segment
    3. Four cylinder engines are going to become more mainstream in luxury vehicles. Audi and Acura already have models with I4s and BMW will add four cylinders in the future. Its been reported that the new small RWD Cadillac will also come with an I4 standard.
    4.No one owes any explanation of why the regal is "great". No one has even made such a claim. People have claimed that its a nice handling, attractive car with a nice interior available for under $30k. The ONLY thing the regal gives up to CC and TSX is acceleration. Aside from that its every bit as well built and refined as those cars. If you think the Regal is so inferior you should make a case for why its competitors are "great".
    What color and model did you get?
    "To me the main thing about a vehicle is - how does it drive. Braking, acceleration, cornering, and traction"

So how Regal and Sonata compare in this regard, can you educate us please? I test drove both and compared in wrote about it in series on posts. Of course I was not able to test them on track for extended period of time but I least I tried as much as I could. I did not see comparison review from serious car magazines yet, but according to MT Buick has better handling and steering than Sonata. Regarding brakes in Sonata they are rather grabby and in Regal are more linear.
  • Why do you continue to attack the Sonata? These vehicles are in different classes. Compared to the Fusion or Malibu, the Sonata does very well. Compared to the Regal or S60 or TSX, it isn't in the same league, even if offering more toys.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    ".....Why do you continue to attack the Sonata?"

I don't think he's attacking the Sonata so much as defending the Regal, as there have been comparisons made to the point that the Sonata is faster and cheaper, so "why bother with the Regal"
    In all due respect gregg_vw, Fusion handling and steering is better than Sonatas. And BTW I would prefer Fusion V6 to 2.0T in Sonata. In general Fusion feels like more refined and more European car when driven, interior design be damned. BTW do you drive VW? Is Sonata better than VW (any)?

We compare Sonata to Regal because both have 2.0T and 2.4L engines and other similarities as well, like size.
    It isn't an "attack" on the Sonata. The problem is that the Sonata cheerleaders on this and many other automotive site continually make claims that the car is the only logical choice over other vehicles in any number of other classes in which it does not even compete, the Regal among them. By choosing to argue with these types to offset their absurd claims, it is not an attack on the Sonata.

exactly. If you dont bow down to the Sonata, its backers will come after you and trash every competing car in the process. Whats amazing about the Sonata worship is that the only thing that has REALLY changed is the styling. The old car was affordable, efficient and spacious. It was a great deal compared to Camry and Accord. For 2011, Hyundai followed the same formula but made the sheetmetal more exciting- aside from that the car has the same attributes its always had. The fact that its more stylish doesnt mean any similar car is suddenly an also ran. I for one dont even think the Sonata is that great looking. The coupe like greenhouse definitely makes it stand out, but overall the car looks like a warmed over camry or ES350. In fact, it reminds more of the ES more than the CC or anything else.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    With regard to the Sonata-Regal comparison, here's my take:
    Ihave driven the plain jane Sonata and the Turbo and I have also driven the Regal. If you are on a tight budget I'd suggest the Sonata, If U can afford a little more, go with the Regal, It's a better car. I have the same dilemma. Lease on a Sonata in NYC is between $179 and $199.00 for a 36 month lease. The lease on a Regal is between $279 amd $291 for a 36 month lease. That $80.00 difference is a major factor for most people.
    what I am looking for on this forum is if people are having problems with their Regal, U know those minor nuisance problems that are not major but just irritating. As I write a dealer just called me to offer me a deal on the Regal
    No, you keep calling the Infiniti brand Infinity. The last post you said Infinity G25. You made no mention of the Sonata audio system until now nor do I have any clue as to its audio system name. I was just making the point that a Infinity G25 does not exist. :P
    White exterior/cashmere interior/sunroof.
    Probably Nissan had trademark issue with Infinity and decided to change one letter. Using brand names like Infiniti is normal among Asian manufacturers. E.g. Brillian is Chinese TV maker.

I actually compared Infinity audio system in Sonata to Buick's base audio in my comparison test post and said Buick's sounds better. But it may be that FM radio (or XM radio) is not a quality in Hyundai. But it does not sound clean regardless of reason.

Infiniti G25 is something more relevant to compare Regal with and I am going to do that.
    Thank you for finally calling it by its proper name. I appreciate it!
    you're telling me the lease gap is $80 per month on a loaded Sonata vs Regal CXL? Which model Sonata did you get a quote on? GM is offering a bonus of $1000 to existing GMC, Olds and Buick.
    No, a regular Sonata vs the Buick CXL RL2 package.
    You mean the difference of a $21,000 dollar Sonata and a $28,000 dollar Regal.
    so if you get the sonata you are willing to forego features?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Alright. If you were offered the same payment for a Regal and or 2011 Jetta SE lease. Which would you pick? I am wanting the SEL Jetta, but apparently sets me way to the lower 400's.

Both lease for $361 a month! Which would you pick? I am at a loss. I really like the Jetta, but really prefer the SEL.

I am including the Regal, because it is so nice and the fact that it is a $28k car and I can lease it for $361!! The Jetta is only about $21k. Very classy and sharp! The interior is amazing! The black looks very good! Top notch! The space for my family is nice. Drives nice, but lacks that oomph out on the highway. Jetta would have that engine to have some fun with.

Keep in mind, I am trading my current lease with under $2k negative equity. I cannot wait any longer! Must make a move now.
  • None of my business of course, but why do you need to make a move now? You still owe on your previous lease. Why not wait until that obligation is up? And why pay so much for a $21K Jetta? I hope you don't mean the Jetta interior is "amazing," because VW deliberately cheapened it from the previous version in order to be able to lower the price on the car. The Jetta is not a near luxury car, although in the past, versions of it were almost priced like one. But maybe I am misunderstanding you.
    VW most often compared with regal is VW Passat CC. It is probably is the better than Regal, at least according to Car & Driver. Jetta is cheapened version of VW Golf made specifically for Camry/Corolla obsessed American driver.
    I am totally over my mileage for my current lease. If I wait I will be roughly 8,000miles over! That will be too much! Nor do I want to question every single trip I make as to how worth it is it to drive.

I really want the Jetta, however I am a little bummed that they did cheapen the interior. It is not too exciting. That is why I wanted the SEL. It seemed a bit more appealing. But, way too much for lease. Not when I can lease a $28k Regal and have a HUGE list of features and beautiful interior and less a month.

But, it does not have the engine power I want. Perhaps I could lease a Turbo!
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2010
    I gotta ask....If you went over mileage on your lease this time, are you going to do something different this time to keep the same thing from happening again? If not, it would seem like you would be in a losing battle and leasing might not be the best choice for you. To me, the whole point of leasing is being able to buy more car for the payment, so with that in mind, I would get the Regal since it's more of a luxury car than the Jetta and therefore a better value.
    Yes, I am actually thinking of getting loan on the Jetta, perhaps then with the right terms I could get the SEL model. However, if I don't then I am leaning towards the Regal. I would be getting a very nice car for the money!

I am going to make sure if I lease I will have enough miles to cover everything.
    CC is faster than the Regal but the advantages pretty much end there. My friends have one and I drove it once. In terms of space and quality its comparable but it only seats 4 and ingress/egress are a pain due to the low roofline.
    are you aware that the Jetta isnt all that fast? Its faster than the Regal due being 600lbs lighter but its not MUCH faster. 0-60 for the Jetta is 8.2-8.4 secs vs 8.7 secs for the Regal. To be honest I don't think that is a difference most people would actually notice and the 2.5L isnt known for its refinement or high revving nature. Jetta does get far better city mileage than Regal though. The Jetta is WAY down on features vs the Regal as well. No leather, no power lumbar, no power passenger seat, no Onstar, no 18" wheels, no rear AC vents, etc.
  • Have you looked at the 2011 Kia Optima EX? Great styling and way more toys than either the Regal or the Jetta. Plus 200hp and 24/34 mpg. Since you are comparing apples and oranges already, why not throw in a peach?
    I looked and drove the Kia Optima. It's a nice car. Road noise was better then Sonata, but not by much. I would take it over the Sonata, but I got a better deal on a Regal, which is finished much nicer, in my opinion, then the optima. If you can wait a few months, or due some shopping around, you would be able to score a good deal on a Kia.
  • I was making the Optima suggestion to bvdj84. Since he was comparing a Jetta with a Regal, it seems the Optima would fall somewhere between the two cars in terms of price, equipment, quality, etc. I understand how you perceived the car and why you prefer Regal. But unlike you, I am not sure he has even looked at the new Optima.
    I test drove the Turbo today, and even though I Only drove a 4 block radius, I was happy with vehicle. I'm going to purchase it. It drive much better than base 4 and doesn't have that engine drone when U press accelerator. I will get another ride on Saturday on a highway. The dealer had just received its allotment of the turbo and the vehicle didn't have enough gas and the battery light
    was flashing. But I was impressed with my initial drive. It's what I want in a car.
    Regardless of what the test numbers say, the 220hp turbo is enough power for the average person. Its as fast as the TSX with an automatic and no one ever called that car slow. In fact, the new TSX wagon needs 8.3 secs to hit 60 which is almost a second slower than the Regal turbo. I have a feeling that those who drive the Regal 2.0T wont have an issue with it.
    Not to emphasis a comparison between the tsx and regal. But, notice how the TSX does not have a turbo and it is able to provide enough power. The non turbo in the Regal just struggles. So the tech specs of both base engines could be close in range, such as even the jetta engine. There are some 4's that feel and run much more efficient. This lack of oomph in the Regal has kept me away from it. Though its power is managed better with the speed auto. It feels fine, but the lack of power on the interstate could ruin that "german" appeal they want to pursue.

I am not sure why GM has not improved or updated their base 4cyl to be more strong and powerful. It is very dated in terms of what other 4's offer today. Many had purchased the V6 in a GM car in the past for this reason.
    See, again we are already looking to get the Turbo. If they offered a V6, people would opt for it too. Not as much as before, but they would.

The Regal to me, with the base engine is a bit unfinished. About 85% there.

The Regal still has me looking. :) I do like it. I could live with the engine.

Thanks for the review of the turbo, let us know about the interstate drive!
    The 2.4L is hardly "outdated", its one of the few direct injected fours in a midsize sedan. The Sonata has a similar engine but makes 200hp. The Accord makes 177hp in standard form and 190hp in EX form, but both engines have less torque. As with most small Honda engines, the TSX makes decent power only because it revs so high. That means around town the TSX isnt going to feel much faster than the Regal- you will need to get that engine up to 7000rpm to get that 201hp. Not many people do a lot of driving with the tach in that range. The regal's real issue is the weight of the car, not the engine. Its about 200lbs heavier than most of its competition and that makes it slower.

The 2.4L without DI that preceded the Regal's engine had 169hp and 161 lb-ft of torque so the current 2.4 DI is in fact an upgrade over that engine.

If you throw out the wild car sonata, most midsize sedans with NA engine make 173-190hp and the Regal makes 182hp- it's right in the mix. The CC has a turbo standard so it makes 200hp- and requires premium fuel.
  • Well stated, overbrook.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Like Overbrook said, they did upgrade the base engine. They gave it direct injection which many cars in its class lack. HP was increased from 169 to 182, which is very class competitive. How is that not an improvement? What GM failed to do was give the Regal a diet. It's simply too heavy of a platform.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Does the turbo require premium fuel like many turbos do? If so, that's certainly a negative.
    yes, there are only a few turbos that dont need premium. Sonata and Cruze are only two cars I can think of. VW's turbos take premium.