Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Just leased a Regal RL1 non-turbo. (Black/Beige) First impressions are that car is solid and well-built. You can feel the heft. The engine really winds out while accelerating but the acceleration is adequate. I certainly don't feel that is a challenge to accelerate on to a highway.
    Cars are shipped with very high tire inflation to protect tires. Dealer forgot to reduce the inflation so the initial driving was pretty rough. I reduced to the recommended 33 and it's quite a nice ride now.
    Elecrtronics are great and easy to set up.
    Gawkers can't believe it's a Buick.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I recently drove the Kia Optima EX and the Regal Turbo. I think the Regal handles much better, but the interior on the Optima is quite nice. The navigation is easier to use in the Kia with its touchscreen. The Kia also has more features--heated and cooled seats, glass roof, etcetera--at a lower price. The Kia is lighter and is rated for better gas mileage.

The Regal feels more solid, and I feel is worth the extra $5,000 over the Optima. The disadvantage of the extra heft is a penalty in fuel mileage. I guess it depends on one's priorities. :)
  • The Kia is the better deal as far as content for the money. It is also good looking, very fuel efficient...and faster than the Regal. The Regal is a bit more quiet than the Kia. As both models become more common, the Regal will have more "prestige" and presence, if that is important to you. It costs more, it will cost more on resale, and will make more a of a statement. Some may notice that it handles better too, but for most driving situations, that won't even come into play, as the Optima is no slouch.

For myself, I think a relatively small sedan with a 4 cylinder engine ought to do better than 19/30 mpg. It really is at the bottom of mid-size 4 cylinder sedans for fuel efficiency. In fact, several mid-size AWD cars do as well or better: Audi A4 (21/29), Legacy (23/31), and Kizashi (23/30). However, not everyone cares all that much about top notch fuel efficiency, so like you say, it depends on your priorities.
    The Kia is a very attractive car but, for some, it's name is still associated with cheap. I rented one a number of years ago and it was a disaster.
    The Buick has more stature and has improved its image in recent years. To some, the Kia is perfectly fine. It's a prestige thing. I am just not there yet for Kia.
  • bugs6bugs6 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    As stated in the review this vehicle is based on the insignia in Europe. But, it is offered in a diesel which gets 55 mpg and is offered in a lot more trims. So, no thanks GM, not until we are given the opportunity to buy the same vehicle that this design was "borrowed" from. Top Gear even did a test drive on the sporty version and it was awesome.
  • silvestrosilvestro Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a Turbo w/ Manual Transmission TO3 option package. White w/ Cashmere interior.

$300 over real invoice (no advertising BS).

I have $3500 on the GM Card and hoping the loyalty rebate (or something better) is around when the car gets delivered - that will get my out of door price to $26.3k!

I wonder how long it will take to get the car built and sent over. Does anyone know where the manual tranny is made? I hear the automatic is Chinese (ugh).
    Overbrook: When you have the ventilation system on Auto, is your AC light on? Mine is and if I turn it off, the system goes off Auto. I wonder if the AC is on all the time while the car is heating.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    I know on my Buick Allure (Lacrosse), the A/C light is on whenever the system is on auto. This time of year I try to remember to turn the A/C button off, though I dunno if that makes any difference.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Thanks. My dealer advised that the A/C cycles on to reduce moisture and fogging even when it's below zero outside. I wonder how often it goes on.
  • gottwhatgottwhat Member Posts: 4
    Our 2011 Turbo makes the same clunking noise from the RF wheel that you describe. Was dealership able to resolve the problem?
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    I never did mention the noise to the dealership; howver, when the car was in for the 5K km LOF there were a couple of service bulletins posted on my car service records. One was a software update to the ECM and I do not know what the other one was for. The services were performed and I have never heard the noise since.
    Thanks for the reply. Glad the noise went away for you. Still there for me. It will be awhile until the first scheduled service but I will update after that...
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2011
    Can U give more info on the service bulletin such as numbers or references so that I can check with the service dept
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    I cannot supply any additional information. However, the bulletins will be posted automatically on your car's service record by GM.
  • pengwinpengwin Member Posts: 74
    looking to buy a CC or a Regal. I can get a Regal Turbo TO1 for 26.5k thru american express or a CC DSG Sport for 28.5k at a local dealer.

the 2k isnt a big deal for me but i just want second opinions on the cars.

anyone for the regal? for the cc?
  • metrospmetrosp Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2011
    I test drove both the Regal (CXL - turbo wasn't out yet ) and CC
    Both were really nice - CC faster but not as quiet or smooth as the Regal , both looked good and in the end I went with the Regal as it is a 5 seater ( CC only 4 ) , the price worked out great and it included the navigation/HD/DVD system that wasn't available on CC , plus I am 6 feet tall and with the sunroof in the CC head room was tight which is not an issue with the Regal
    edited May 2011
    It would be interesting to hear actual owner experience for 2011 Regal owners. Likes and dislikes, tips to improve ownership experience etc.
    I have a base Regal that I leased in mid-January. Overall, I am enjoying it quite a bit. The engine is noisy when accelerating and the transmission sometimes can't find the right gear in stop and go driving. Power is marginal when accelerating but seems quite adequate on the highway. I can cruise at 80 quite comfortably. The fold down rear seat has been a big help.
    I will have more to report as I go along but wanted to see if there was interest on this board in starting a conversation
  • pengwinpengwin Member Posts: 74
    i test drove them back to back (Regal turbo and CC). I agree with you, the Regal seems more refined, the CC is a little rouger but the acceleration also "seems" better in the CC (i know the numbers are pretty close).
  • marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78
    My final two car choices came down to the Acura TSX 4 cyl automatic and the Buick Regal turbo automatic. I really wanted to like the Regal better than the TSX, but in the end, I bought the Acura. The main reason was the interior. While the Regal's interior was decent and the seats satisfactory, in my opinion, it did not compare to the TSX's interior and seats. The TSX seats were amazing, much more supportive and comfortable than the Regal. And the rest of the TSX interior was more plush and upscale than the Regal. I have always been amazed how some automakers don't put more emphasis on the seats. Again, the Regal seats were not bad, just not in the same league as the Acura's, in my humble opinion. The Acura also felt more connected to the road during spirited driving while not being harsh at all. The Regal felt a bit more isolated in its ride, but I did find the Regal suspension better over harsh road surfaces. And the Regal had better power with the turbo, but the gas mileage was very mediocre for a 4 banger. The TSX has peppy acceleration though a bit behind the Regal Turbo. Again, I really wanted the Regal to be the better car, but I thought it was not the overall value of the TSX.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2011
    I rented a base Regal 2.4 for 3 days. Very nice interior, quiet ride, nice handling. Great car...except for that engine! I don't need a drag racer, but this Regal had such lame acceleration that I was afraid to pass a car on a 2-lane road, and merging onto an interstate ramp that inclined did not inspire confidence that I could merge into traffic. If the sacrifice in power brought better MPG that would be understandable; but after about 300 miles of 2/3 Hwy and 1/3 city/suburban I averaged 22 MPG (doing the math at the pump)...lame. More power would make this car a well-balanced package for this segment, probably wit hbetter real-world MPG. I drove the turbo briefly after returning this car ands the power was just "adequate," but at an outrageous $3,000 premium! Something like a 24V 3.0 or 3.2 litre V6, at a price between the 2.4 and turbo, would be appropriate for this car.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    @marcus216: Was TSX also turbo? And how steering and brake feel compare? Thank you.
    The TSX is not a Turbo. It is rated at 201 HP and it is very peppy, though not equal to the Regal Turbo, though the only time I really felt the extra power in the Regal was goosing it up a freeway entrance ramp where it had a slight advantage. But the Regal turbo has very mediocre gas mileage ratings 18 - 28. That is V6 territory. The TSX mileage is about 11% better. Overall, I felt the TSX was just a better car. It felt more solid, much better interior, brakes were very good, as was the steering. The Regal felt larger and heavier, which it is, especially in the weight department. Head to head, I think the TSX is significantly better car and value.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    One must always look at comments about the Regal carefully as there seems to be almost an organized campaign against it by Hyundai/Acura types. I am not suggesting you are a troll but when I see such one-sided comments it gives me pause. I can understand how someone might drive the 2 cars and prefer the TSX over the Regal, or vice versa. To say it is "significantly" better seems a stretch. Both cars compete very well against each other and each has its pros and cons.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• markjp33markjp33 Member Posts: 12
    I recently leased a 2011 Buick Regal CXL and I'm noticing a noise coming from the front right side of the car. You only hear it on the inside and it sounds like something loose like a rubber ball rolling around in a can. You mostly hear it best at lower speeds such as under 30 mph and especially when you drive slow like in a parking lot. I took it to the dealership last week and they confirmed they heard it too, but they suggested waiting for a service bulletin because they didn't want to take the dash apart and possibly create a new noise. This is the most annoying noise in the world and all I can do is wait for a service bulletin! I really like everything else about the car but this noise is driving me crazy.
    As I stated in my initial post, I wanted to like the Regal more than the TSX. I have owned many GM cars over the years and when I saw the new Regal, I was impressed with how it looked. I was not Acura biased in any way. And, of course, car preference is personal and one person's favorite is another's goat. It is not that I did not like the Regal, I did. It had good power, a very smooth ride, great looks and a nice interior. But it does have very poor mileage ratings for a four banger, probably because it is a very heavy car. Seat comfort and interior are extremely important to me. And this is where the TSX held a big advantage, in my opinion. Again, not that the Regal was bad, just that the TSX shined in this area. Seating and interior along with better mileage ratings are what made my choice easy. Others might rate power and a smoother ride as their higher priorities. In that case, the Regal would be the better choice. It is how your prioritize each vehicle's attributes.
    Not sure if this is the same issue, but I had a similar the noise on right side back in October of last year and dealer replaced a bad bolt on taillight and the problem was resolved. No other noises/rattles since.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to make another appointment and have them take another look at it. It seems louder now then when I first drove it home. I'm not positive the noise is coming from the dash and that's what they're talking about taking apart frist to try to find the source. I looked under the hood to see if I could see anything out of the ordinary and I did find a wire that goes through a hole on in the right front fender. When I pushed the wire, it made a noise against the fender, one sounding similar to the noise I'm hearing while driving. I'm not sure if this is the cause. Probably not, but I'm trying everything before this noise drives me crazy. If anyone else has any other ideas on what it could be, I'd be happy to hear from you. Thanks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    markjp33,

Please keep us posted on any information and when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • dave427350dave427350 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo also.
    I have the same noise in the front right corner also.
    Its at the dealership today I dropped it off, its driving me nuts.
    I went for a ride in the parking lot with the mechanic and we are trying to chase the noise also.
    Samething though it happens at low speeds also, you can't hear it on the highway.
    Another little issue it has under light load it has spark knock.
    I am just waiting for them to say I need to run Premium Fuel.
    Dave,

I need to take mine in for the front right knocking. Premium fuel is recommended for the turbo (I think you were being sarcastic but kind of hard to tell over the internet - lol).
  • 40yearfan40yearfan Member Posts: 102
    I picked my Regal Turbo up on the Friday before Memorial Day. The only rattle I've observed is when you put the radio on a talk station and you can hear a noise/vibration whenever someone speaks. I do believe the center speaker is bad or has something on it that rattles around when trying to produce the deep bass sound of a human voice.

Like one of the other posters on here, I would be concerned if the service department has to remove part of the dash to get to the speaker/speakers, it is going to create other unintended problems.
    2015 Buick Encore Leather Edition
    2014 Buick Enclave Premium Edition
    Well the sales guy which knows almost nothing said Regular was ok but Premium was recommended.
    But I was speaking to the service department where the car is right now, that there might be program to change the timing curve to cure this also.
    I will let everyone know if they find this noise in the front end that sounds like a double knock when going over bumps slowly in a parking lot or going into my driveway.

Dave
    Dave,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your new vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
    40yearfan,

Congratulations on your purchase! Please keep us posted when the speaker issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • 40yearfan40yearfan Member Posts: 102
    Thanks Caron. I am super impressed with the styling, handling and fit/finish of this vehicle. It has somewhat of a turbo lag when you start from a dead stop, but having previously owned turbo's, as the engine gets broken in, that will all disappear.

Buick has been my vehicle of choice for the past two decades. I'm glad GM decided to keep the line and really happy to see the progress Buick has made.
    2015 Buick Encore Leather Edition
    2014 Buick Enclave Premium Edition
    I have another appointment to take my Regal in for the noise/knocking in the right front next Thursday. It seems like there are more owners out there with the same type of noise from the replies that I've read. Also, when I had mine at the dealership about 2 weeks ago, they test drove a new one for sale to on the lot to compare it to mine and noticed the same problem. I have to think there are even more owners out there with this most annoying noise/knocking coming from the right front. I love the styling of my new Regal inside and out, but this noise is driving me crazy. You have to think someone at Buick has to have an idea of what this noise is and I would hope a service bulletin would come out soon so other owners don't have to go through this. This is a time when I should be enjoying my new car, but everytime I drive down a residential street or in a parking lot, I just want to turn the radio up loud so I don't hear the noise.
    edited June 2011
    Please let us know what they say about the noise/knocking when you get your car back. I'll let you know what I find out when I take mine in next Thursday. I feel like telling them to keep the car until they find the source of the noise, but at the same time, if they start taking the dash apart and put it back together, I can see more noises coming. And I'm not entirely sure this noise/knock is actually coming from the dash. Maybe it could be coming from inside the engine compartment somewhere or even the tire. The thing is, when you're in the passenger seat or the rear seat, you can't hear the noise as much(not really much at all when I sat in the back seat when my brother drove it) Maybe they should create another forum for Regal owners concerning this issue.???
    I have my Regal back and they said it was alot better than before.
    I didn't even have to leave the parking lot and noticed the noise is the same.
    The sales manager decided to let me drive his demo to see if it had the similar noise.
    I drove it uptown around and his has the same noise but not quite as loud.
    He basically said he has his tunes cranked most of time and really didn't notice anything.
    I am licensed mechanic but I don't work at a GM dealership anymore but if I had to guess where the noise is, I would look at the right front stabilizer links.
    I had HHR prior to this car and it made a similar noise over small bumps at low speeds and had the same double rap noise.
    But back to the spark knock I was experiencing they had an update and re-flashed the computer.
    The car runs the same with the same spark knock sound under load.
    The same sales manager as mentioned didn't notice any spark knock with his car either (tunes cranked)
    Guess what his pinged the same too.
    Not being sarcastic the anser to that is they want me to try running Premium Fuel.
    They said it wasn't necessary when I ordered this car, one of the first questions I asked since fuel here $6.00/gallon or $1.50/litre.
    I think the manual reads Premium recommended but Regular is ok.
    I can't wait for GM to put out a bulletin on this right front noise, like you mentioned I don't want them to make any new rattles or marks (chips in paint that they denied they made)

Dave Forrest
    519-536-5323
    edited June 2011
    Did they tell you what they did to make the noise "better"? And did you mention to them that you thought it could be the right front stabilizer links? I'm not anywhere close to being a mechanic, so any ideas I can get as to what this noise could be the closer I may be to getting it fixed. Thanks for your post. Like I mentioned earlier, I'll let you know what I find out after my appointment next Thursday.
    No they just said they thought it was "better".
    Yes I did mention thats where I would head to first is the stabalizer links, just because the noise sounds alot like my HHR did.
    It sounds like front suspension to me.
    Good luck on your appointment.
  • onlyreadingonlyreading Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am just crusing thru forums about the Buick Regal seeing what issues there are with them as I am thinking about one. I read in another forum "www.regalforums.com" that some one had this problem and it turned out to be the right front side strut.
    "Update.......
    The dealership says its an issue with the front passenger side strut. Unfortunetly the have to order the part but at least they found the issues"

Link for this is http://www.regalforums.com/forums/buick-regal-general-discussion/1294-car-noises- .html

Hope this helps and is the cause and fix for you.
    Wow, that would be great if that's the issue. I'll definitely let them know to check out the right front side strut when I take it in next Thursday. I have my fingers crossed! Thanks!
    markjp33,

Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    markjp33,
    Please let me know how things go at the dealer. If the dealer is unable to figure out your concerns I would recommend asking them to involve technical assistance. If you are unable to get this resolved I would like to set up a case for you with GM Customer Service; so, if this is where we are going I would just need you to email me directly with you complete contact information, VIN, current mileage and invloved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I picked up my CXL (non-turbo) in January. I have no front end noise at all.
    The car is perfectly quiet except for the rather loud engine noise on acceleration.
    The car has been completely problem free.
    Regarding the turbo, I have never seen a turbo that the manufacturer says may run on regular.
    Hi Zeen

GM actually makes a turbo that runs on regular - the 1.4 turbo in the Chevy Cruze, but for the Regal they recommend premium.
    Thanks Christina. I will let you know how it goes at the dealership when I take it in tomorrow morning. Based on some of the other Regal owners issues with the same problem, I'll ask them to take a look at the front passenger side strut. Hopefully this is the issue or something else suspension related and this issue can be put behind me. Thanks again for your concern.
    markjp33,
    I look forward to your update. I hope we can get this all resolved for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    zeen,
    For information on the best fuel for your vehicle, I would recommend checking out 4-40 through 9-42 of your owners manual. Have you spoke with the dealer about your concern?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks. No fuel problem for me. I don't have a turbo.