Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I'm starting to see these on the road now. Anyone care to give their take on it? Even a test drive?

It's still on my list, reviews are very positive that I've seen (for the most part). I'm waiting on the turbo to be available though since I'm also waiting on the Hyundai and Kia turbo sedans to be available to test.
  • pedal1pedal1 Member Posts: 2
    My wife bought a gray one last week with the RL4 package. The car has a very solid feel and appears to be well-assembled. Seats are European firm--the way we like them. Power is adequate in the naturally-aspirated version. Braking is somewhat average and there is some body lean during cornering, but it's not severe by any means. Steering feel is quite good, as is visibility. There's plenty of room, both front and back, if that's an important consideration. Cabin noise is well-muted both on the highway and around town. The 18" rims are stylish and the car is well-proportioned. The only missing option we would have preferred is Homelink. Overall a really good value in the segment. The turbo is set to debut in November, according to the dealer.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    edited July 2010
    Is it true the regal has no USB port, as well as no remote start? even the malibu LT2's have these. plus no smart key like the sonata limited or upper line camry? am finding it hard to find a sedan that has, in this order: smart key, usb port, remote start. sonata limited has the first two, malibu has the last two, camry has the first but not sure about the last two. maybe i'm wrong tho.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    The Buick website doesn't mention the USB port. It seems a strange omission, especially on the models with the Harman Kardon system.
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    The Canadian Buick website states that it has "USB iPod®MP3 and mass storage device input jack – located in console" as standard.

No mention of remote start, which surprises me.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Why is remote start an important feature?
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Why is remote start an important feature?

In northern climates Remote Start is great and I won't be without it. My garage is unheated and unattached. I can open the garage door from my living room and hit the remote start on those cold winter mornings - my car is warmed up in 2-3 minutes and I head out the door.

In the southern part of the country it might not be a big deal unless you want to run the A/C for a couple minutes before getting in! :blush:
  • To each his or her own. Modern cars start and go with no warm-up needed. Heated seats are almost instantaneous. Idling a car several minutes each morning is not something I would do, even having remote start. And I have to laugh when I see people walk toward their cars and remotely start them from half a block away. That just looks like, "see what I can do!" But really, it is all personal preference. If the car met my needs otherwise, I could not see rejecting it for this. Especially since any number of aftermarket shops can install a reliable remote start system for you if you want.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2010
    "That said, Buick Regal might turn out to be a good car for my next upgrade, once there is a version with a clutch"

I agree.

On a dif note, but one that fits with this thread still in terms of perceived quality. When I think of quality in ride, fit, finish, performance, coddle-ability etc etc for me it has to include the test of time. Do we trust a Sonata's dependability now finally as much as an Accord or Camry's? Camry has actually gone downhill with their chipping paint, which has been an issue on 09 and newer Corollas also. So is Toyota slipping? So with that said, do we equate GM's quality on a similar level with the Asian offerings? I have been following a thread on the 2010 Chev Equinox, and unless it has been infested with troll activity, there are all too similar quality and teething issues as they had with the disasterous previous Nox. Can GM really isolate one models ailments separately from another's? Really? I have always wondered that very thing.

I've been car (and truck even) searching lately. I want versatility (so maybe being able to tow a trailer will do) and quiet, dependable and relatively economical on fuel. (so that tends to rule out cars with a substantial penalty at the pumps if you have to feed any of those higher-end luxury nameplates with high test gas, and even most lesser nameplated turbo equipped cars).

I want to like this Regal. In the late 90's the Regal was nothing more than a quiet, floaty, expensive Cavalier. Today, however, it is a whole new ball game. Sharing only the name. But i wonder if it shares the 4 cylinder engine that is in the Nox? GM is building engines all over the world and they sure are not all equal. TheNox is a nightmare with everything from irregular stalling issues with no ECM codes to help troubleshoot, to excessive oil burning, and loud valvetrain issues combined with huge fuel mileage drops after servicing and other unexplained issues.
    Even the auto tranny algorithms have been problematic. And too many of the car's functions are controlled by software programs hooked up to "GM's" computers. All manufacturers are doing this more and more to keep you married to the selling dealer/brand. If the cars and cost of service is reasonable for duty served, then it isn't that bad a thing. But if that criteria is NOT met, then it can be a financial and mentally frustrating nightmare.

gimmestdtranny....anyday
    Remote start in a world of ever increasing "no-idling" laws, and the green movement, is the epitome of hypocrisy. IMO.

Last week I watched a rich, but highly ignorant/arrogant convertible Corvette owner waiting outside Walmart, with the engine running, A/C on full blast, but with the top down in 100 degree sun and heat.

There is just so much wrong with that scenario I don't know where to start with my rant. ppfffftttttt!
    What is this ridiculous attraction to keyless ignition switches? The way they work it is push and hold this, and wait for that, and move purse or wherever the fob is located if signal fails etc etc etc.

Ask the guy in the runaway Lexus who lost his life along with his family's lives, (because he didn't know how to turn the car off) if he had wished for a normal key to....wait for it....imagine the possibilites....of...."turning the car off with a key!" Imagine! A key! How simple is that?

Rather than attempt to boss you, my advice is to not get caught up as sheeple in all the hoopla and technological wizardry that adds complexity to our vehicles. Unneccessary complexity to the max. So-called smart-ugh-keys are at the top of this list.
  • It is the same engine, and it is a quiet, relatively powerful, really good effort on GM/s part. Sure, there are issues. But really, the press has been overwhelmingly +. Does that mean it is trouble-free? Probably not. But relying on forum threads isn't the most reliable either. Trolls aside, the people who are unhappy are going to scream the loudest. Anyway, if you have hesitation, look at the Toyota example. Or all the press saying VW quality sucks. Right now, VW all of a sudden has some Consumer Reports recommended models. Everything changes all the time. Buy what you like.
    Is that right, eh? VW? Wow. I love their diesels I must admit. But I have seen very VERY expensive repairs down the road outside of wty far too often on VW, Audi and MB to trust them. I'm afraid I don't hang off everything Consumers Reports says. I have seen them lay a "not recommended" on a very well known and dependable nameplate, practically on a whim of circumstantial evidence.

But your point is well taken, buy what you like. But I find forums can help reveal truth from fiction if you are patient enough.

I admit I am cautiously reserved more now hearing that the Nox 4 cyl is identical to the one in the Regal :( But I hear it has a better reputation than the 4 banger they use in the Malibu. Does make one wonder why GM is sourcing similar sized and config'd engines from all over the world.
    Hypocrisy? You've got to be kidding me.

How about the 3-ton SUVs that get 12 mpg and have only a driver on board?

Greg VW: Cars could always be started on sub-zero mornings and driven immediately, but allowing a couple minutes of warm-up IS good for the engine and always will be.
    "How about the 3-ton SUVs that get 12 mpg and have only a driver on board? "

Yup, I'm not arguing with you on that. And they too will have remote start.
  • bubalububalu Member Posts: 4
    Is Homelink available with any package or a dealer installed option? I can't find it for the Regal on the Buick website.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,080
    I got some seat time behind the wheel of a Regal last weekend. I thought it was pretty good, but I honestly don't understand some of the raves it gets in early reviews. For me, it had 2 major issues. The first was that the black interior is just not for me. I don't like black interiors generally, and this one is extra-dismal because of the lack of wood trim. It has piano black trim which looks for all the world like shiny black plastic, nothing more. The seats were good, there was adequate room up front, and the dash and controls were just fine -- better than that, in fact; I quite liked it, except for the coal-mine decor. There is a camel/cashmere version allegedly available, but none have yet made an appearance locally.

The other, more significant issue is the engine. The base engine is barely adequate for a car with aspirations like this one. It gets around OK, but nothing more than that, and stepping down to pass on the highway generates a lot of noise but not a whole lot of immediate thrust. The turbo version available in a few months should rectify that. But for now, with a dismal black interior and a low-thrust 4-banger under the hood, the Regal gets a pass from me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2010
    This recent trend to wimpy engines in some and seemingly increasing numbers of GM cars, no doubt mandated by ill-advised government interference and directives, does not bode well. This car is clearly underpowered with the base four cylinder and why add the complexity and extra cost of a turbo when a big six would provide a superior, more reliable and cheaper alternative? And probably with little, if any, fuel penalty.

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala SS and would not have bought it if the eight cylinder engine had not been available. It is currently not. I get 25 mpg on the interstate at 70 mph.

The history of government-controlled automobile companies is not a happy one and I do hope GM does not succumb to obscurity and mediocrity by regulation.

(BTW, I have no problems with a "coalmine" interior!)
  • The engine in the Regal is fine for most people. Unlike you, most people never use the extra power in their cars--and most would do pretty well with just 100 hp, It is almost unnerving how slowly most people pull away from lights, enter lanes from on ramps and so on.

I think high output engines will always be available, but like Ford has proven with the Ecotech engines, DI plus turbo can give you as much or more power as more cylinders naturally-aspirated, and return higher mpg to boot. Like it or not, much higher mileage requirements are coming. If manufacturers could meet these standards with less complex, old tech engines, they would.

You Impala is a pretty quick ride, and your particular example gets stellar mileage; most people find that 5.3 engine to get less than 20 mpg in mostly freeway driving. GM will be improving on those numbers with its new engines still to come. I suspect you will still find a lot of driving satisfaction in future years. Right now GM is still in recovery mode, and tha fact that they can get a car as good as the Regal to the American public so quickly after their downfall.speaks well for the much better stuff down the road.
    what are you talking about? if it wasn't FOR govt. controlled auto companies, GM would be out of business.
    edited July 2010
    I am talking about exactly what I said. Companies, any companies (including car companies), controlled and run by government are not known either for efficiency, innovation or quality. They don't have to be competitive because they are propped up by the taxpayer. Do you want a car company run like the post office??!

GM desperately needs to get out from under the shackles of government and become properly competitive in a free market without relying on bailouts and taxpayer funds for its survival.

The Regal is a commendable automobile in many respects. The normally aspirated four-cylinder engine is not one of them. The turbo may or may not be competitive. We'll see when it becomes available.
    Was it the government who designed the Pontiac Aztek?
    The Aztek has nothing whatsoever to do with current or future GM design/execution plans.
  • overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    Just got one last week, Granite Gray RL5 model. I've only seen about 3 on the streets so far, including one this morning. So far so good but I havent been on any long trips. I really like the interior and exterior styling, quietness and transmission performance. the car doesn't feel slow in normal driving but it may be a different story when trying to pass a semi on the highway. I wish more colors were available and I wish remote start was offered. The latter will be added next year though.
    seems to me dont you use the shiftronic transmission to get more oomph out of the 4 cylinfer when you need to pass a semi or something?
  • stevenzozstevenzoz Member Posts: 8
    @bubalu, no homelink is not currently available.. When i got mine i thought it was going to have it due to the competitive features it has, unfortunately, homelink isnt one of them (unless the dealer can install it, which im not sure of)
  • stevenzozstevenzoz Member Posts: 8
    @ral2167 the regal has a USB port as well as Aux port standard, located in the center armrest
    Buick expects the 2.0 turbo to do mid-seven-second 0-60 mph runs. The 2.4 will manage mid-eights. Fuel economy is estimated to be about 20 mpg city/30 mpg highway for the the 2.4 automatic, the turbo automatic's dropping to about 18/29 mpg."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0911_2011_buick_regal/engines.htm- l#ixzz0vhpvMmwY

"Mid-eights" for the 2.4 is not very impressive. For that matter, "mid-sevens" is not so stellar either.

This car really needs a big six to give it the power and acceleration which would match the otherwise fine attributes but calling it a performance car with these puny acceleration times is intellectually dishonest.
    acceleration is on par with other four cylinder sedans with naturally aspirated engines. The Accord needs 8.7-9 secs to hit 60 with an automatic. Its no faster than the Regal even though its a lighter car. I think 0-60 for the turbo should be between 6.7-7 secs which is on par with the 9-3 2.0T which only had 221lb-ft of torque.

The car is called a sports sedan based on its handling, not blazing acceleration. A TSX with an auto needs mid 7s to hit 60mph. There isnt going to be a V6 so anyone looking for one should probably go elsewhere.
  • Here's hoping they pare some fat from the Regal in future iterations. It is puzzling to me that the GMC Terrain using the same 2.4 engine manages to get better mileage.

I am not yet ready to pull the trigger, but I have been looking at mid-size sedans (something a bit smaller than the La Crosse). My list has included the 2011 Regal, 2011 Optima, Kizashi (that is a real fun drive for a 4), VW CC (a bit more pricey but worth it), maybe the 2011 2.0T Sonata. Each has +'s and -'s. The Regal is fast enough for me, but, like the Kizashi, most Regals seem to come with all black interiors--something I will not buy again. The Regal's mileage at 19/30 also seems low for a 4, and is almost certainly at the bottom of available mid-size 4 cylinder sedans. The AWD Legacy does significantly better than that.

Now, I have been reading good things about the Chevrolet Cruze. A smaller car for sure, but trimmed out with quality materials and truly quiet like the La Crosse. It would be less $ and much better mileage than the Regal. Choices, choices.
    edited August 2010
    I happened to just finish driving a Cruze about an hour ago at a GM event. I drove a Regal 2 weeks ago, so let me compare for you. The Cruze feels a bit smaller, but not by much. It has a huge trunk, as big or even bigger than the Regal. I was more comfortable in the drivers seat of the Regal but perhaps the Cruze has adjustments I did not take advantage of. The Regal is quieter and more refined feeling overall. The Cruze I drove had the turbo engine and it is potent! A little noisy but much more fun than the Regal in that regard. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to drive it on the highway so I cannot comment on passing power. I was unimpressed with the passing power of the Regal with the standard engine. The Regal had a black interior and like you I did not care for the color, though the overall design was good. The Cruse had a red and black fabric interior and was very nicely done for the price point, which I'm guessing is about $7000 less than the Regal.

I think the Cruze is the better buy right now.

They are
  • Thanks! The Cruze is supposed to have soft feel materials on the doors, dash and console--plus, the leather interior puts leather (not vinyl) on the door trim and even a bit of leather trim on the dash. Unheard of in this class. I'd have to compare turbo to turbo to find out whether the Cruze is refined enough to substitute for a well-designed mid-size.
    Thanks for the review! The Regal and Cruze are two of the cars I'm considering for my next purchase.

I'm curious regarding your comments about the Cruze being noisier. Was that under acceleration only? I've read a couple reviews that called the Cruze "Lexus-like" quiet.

I believe your $7K price difference is on the money. Similarly equipped the Cruze should come in $7K less than the Regal. That's why I'm seriously considering it.
    Yes, the Cruze interior treatment seems to put sections of whatever material is used on the seats in spots on the doors and dash. I failed to mention the door treatment in my initial post but what you say is correct, as the car I drove had door panels that were nicely done in black and red.

My noise comment was mostly related to when under acceleration. It was quite raucous when I stepped on it in the Cruze, but only a little less so when I tried to pass on the highway in the Regal. The difference was that the Cruze actually shot forward where the Regal mostly made more noise but didn't seem to go that much faster. In regular driving the Regal did feel quieter subjectively, but I do not mean to imply that the Cruze was noisy like a Civic would be. It was quiet, just not _as_ quiet as the Regal.
    Hi kplacer!

I found your comments on the new Regal and Cruze helpful interesting. I also find both of these cars intriguing.

In my view the Regal is obviously the more upscale of the two but the base engine is inadequate. The upcoming turbo may be adequate. I'd prefer to see a new, high tech six in the Regal as the top-of-the-line engine but that is not an option.

The Cruze probably is the better buy of the two in view of its quality, energetic turbo four, lower price and better fuel economy.

GM obviously is turning out more desirable cars now than in previous years but I personally hope they are not developing a corporate culture of anemic engines simply to placate the extreme environmentalists and the government.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Yeah the relatively weak engine is keeping me from trying this car right now. I will give the turbo a go though when it's available. I'm guessing GM gave it that engine because that's what sells for the Opel brand in Europe? I dont know really.

In any case, the Regal is frustrating me because I feel like it's close to being a really solid choice in this segment but it's just shy of it. Less power and lower fuel economy than the new Korean mid sized Sonata and Optima, it's heavier, just as expensive or more so. That said I assume it's very smooth and quiet, so that's a big factor that will come out in test drives. I'm also guessing the interior is very nice as well, not sure how that will stack up against the competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2010
    Opel uses even smaller engines in Europe. They also offer several torque-y diesels, which Europeans prefer. The 2.4 is a very good engine--well rated. This engine is used in many GM models now. GM is using it widely because smaller engines are the way of the world, and at 182 hp from 145 naturally aspirated cubic inches, it is not inefficient. It wasn't very long ago that V8s were putting out less than 200 hp, yet somehow people survived with that in the 1990s.. As Hyundai has shown, however, this size engine can give out even more power without resorting to turbos.

The problem with it in the Regal and LaCrosse (for some people, but not for me) is that both cars are porky for their size. And 19/30 mpg looks not so good compared to other mid-size 2.0 to 2.5 liter cars. And the 18/29 mpg 220 hp Regal is still not going to look like a great bargain next to the 274 hp Sonata/Optima with 24/34 mpg. Also, though quiet, the Regal is not as quiet as the Lacrosse. The Regal will stand out in this class for its looks, details and handling.
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    I took delivery of my new Regal, stone with cocoa/cashmere, on July 13, 2010 and have driven it 1500 km. Except as noted below, the car is a pleasure to drive. Build quality is excellent and the powertrain is very smooth. I traded in a 2008 Allure/LaCrosse and the switch from a V6 to an I4 is not a problem. Presumably, the six speed transmission helps. While I have adjusted to most of the undesirable features listed below, prospective buyers may like to check them out before purchase.

1, The outside mirrors are very narrow and restrict the field of view when they are set to check the blind spots.
    2. The ride is somewhat choppy, not unusual for a midsize car.
    3. The installed tires have a hard ride and transmit road noise to the cabin.
    4. The seats are quite hard and become uncomfortable after a couple of hours.
    5. The front head restraints are poorly designed. When they are set so they are level with the top of the head, as outlined in the owners manual, they touch the back of the head.
    6. The buttons on the console appear to have been setup for a RH drive car. For LH drive cars the commonly used buttons are farthest away from the driver.
    7. An odd rumbling/rattling sound has started coming from the area of the right front wheel when travelling over bumps at low speed. I will get this checked out soon.
    Regal's mileage suffers due to hydraulic steering and tranny programming. some reviews have noted a reluctance to downshift on the Equinox. I can tell you the Regal's transmission is flawless and shifts are barely perceptible.

Friends of mine have a CC and the base model is really a base model. It does have dual heates seats and 17" wheels but that's it. You have to jump the luxury model to match the regal CXL features and that model is about $34k comparably equipped. That plus the 4 seat capacity make it a deal breaker for me. Even if you dont use the middle seat often there are times when it will come in handy.

I've been in 2 cruze models so far and the interior is almost as nice as the Regal's. You can get a light interior with wood trim in the Regal.
    No one has seen official weights for the Cruze yet but its expected to be 3000-3300lbs. It's definitely not going to be faster than the Regal since power to weight ratios will be similar. The cruze is almost as large as the regal and it has a larger trunk though. I don't think the price gap will be as large as you think because the LTZ starts at $23k and tops out at $27k. comparably equipped the cruze might be about $4k less than the Buick. You pay less but lose the IRS and some features and get less of a warranty. For the money, the Cruze seems to be a great car though.
    With the new CAFE rules in effect expect to see more "weak" engines offered in midsize cars and crossovers. The Sienna even offers a four cylinder as does the Venza. Again, the regal's acceleration is on par with Malibu, Accord EX and Mazda6. It is slow compared to the turbo four equipped CC but not other naturally aspirated fours.

The CAFE rules have already been approved, more and more four cylinders will be offered going forward. The turbo 4 is a subsitute for a V6.
    Its interesting that so many have focused on the Sonata as a competitor to the Regal. Both are 2011s and both have DI fours but aside from that the Sonata is no more of a top competitor than a camry XLE or Accord EX-L. The Sonata offers more for your money but I think that's to be expected- it's a Hyundai. If you want the most bang for your buck you arent going to get it in a regal or TSX or CC or even Camry XLE. The regal is worth more to me because its more exclusive, has a better warranty and looks better inside and out. I've been in the Sonata and the interior looks better in pics than it doesn in person. The quality is AVERAGE for the class. No better than Malibu or Accord or Fusion. Lots of hard plastics and the switchgear are not on par with Regal.

I presume electric steering will be added when production shifts to Canada which will add 1-2mpg.

I took a road trip and averaged 27.2mpg with AC on all the way and moderate traffic that prevented me from maintaining consistent speeds.
    I find it hard to believe that the Cruze is comparable to the Regal. The Cruze is Chevy's answer to the Civic/Sentra/Corolla. One would think the Malibu in the LTZ mode is more comparable to the Regal than the Cruze is. Is the Cruze bigger than the Malibu? I doubt it. If it was, then what's the point of the Impala?
    not sure that the regal gives more bang for the buck than a camry xle. For 31K MSRP, an xle can be had with such bells and whistles as push button start (does regal have this?), remote car starter (available with the regal?), 6 cylinder with similar gas mileage as the 4 cylinder regal. Heck, for 28K you can get all that with a 4 cylinder XLE. As far as looks, that's all subjective, and I even agree the regal is a sharper looking car. And I'm not knocking the regal, I just think it lacks some of the amenities that should come with it. After all, it originally was going to replace the Saturn Aura until Saturn went bust.
    Who cares about "push button start?!" How does that enhance any car? It's nothing but a gimmick and in the case of run-away Toyotas, downright dangerous.
    The new Malibu configured with the 3.6 DOHC six cylinder engine is considerably faster than the new Regal with the turbo four.
    Just watch-- push button start will be on more and more cars in the coming years. No more fumbling with keys as much. In fact, when I was at Buick dealer, he said the push button start will be on the 2012 regal. It's one of those features that-- once you get it, you won't ever go without it on future cars you own, as opposed to, say, dual zone climate control which I can take or leave frankly.
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    Further to item #7 of my post #90, after reviewing forums for other epsilon GM cars, Malibu, Aura, etc. it appears the knocking/clunking noise coming from the suspension when driving over bumps/washboard at slow speed is a common problem that affects some cars and may or may not be repairable. If I had known this in advance, I would not have purchased the car. However, I will discuss this with my dealers service department tomorrow.

With the thousands of Insignias/Regals sold in Europe and China over the past year or so I find it very strange the problem has not been resolved. I suspect this problem will affect future sales in North America.
  • I don't think anyone was saying the two are directly comparable. The Cruze is compact class. The point we were trying to make is that the Cruze has a big trunk for its size, a roomy interior for its size, is quieter than one would expect of a compact, and has interior appointment quality usually not seen in this class. Given all that, saving a few thousand by buying Cruze vs. Regal may not mean giving up very much. Your choice of course.
    It's funny how things go. You can easily fall in love with a new model and then after a while you begin to wonder if you made the right move. I have a 2009 Allure/Lacrosse and every now and then I get discontented with it. Then I look at new models and find all sorts of things I like about them. Then I go home and think about the paltry sum I owe on the Buick and compare that to the financing schedules on the new cars and I like mine all over again. I love my car for the seats, the quiet, the ride, the look, and all sorts of good features it has. I would love another car for different reasons no doubt. But, I have yet to own a car I loved unconditionally and which was so perfect that it had no things about it that I did not like.